Jedi: Fallen Order

9,428 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tex Aggie
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed about IGN. I just mentioned that review because it was the highest one I saw. The review on Polygon makes me want to buy the game.....after a patch or two.
AustinAg2K
The reviews I've seen have all been positive. From what I can tell, it's not going to win any game of the year awards (at least any that aren't bought), but it's not a bad game. It certainly sounds better than the Battlefield games. I would think if you've already got a system it can run on, it's probably not a bad purchase, but I wouldn't go out and buy a PS4 for it... I would buy a PS4 for Spiderman, though, and then just also buy this game.
Sentinel
AG
Just bought it. I know it's not KOTOR but I really need a Star Wars game in my life.
redline248
AG
I'd like another game like Rogue Squadron
tamusc
AG
redline248 said:

I'd like another game like Rogue Squadron

This!
joemeister
AG
I'm about 5 hours in. My gaming PC is old enough to qualify as a high-end potato and it seems to be running it just fine. So far, I think the flow of combat is really fun, the story is engaging, and the character doesn't feel like he's already a Darth Vader level force user.

This game feels a lot like a mash up of Prince of Persia Sands of Time and the new Tomb Raider games. I don't need Star Wars games to reinvent the wheel, I just want them to have a great story. I would love a reboot of Empire at War or a Star Wars squad based tactical game styled after XCOM.
BadMoonRisin
AG
What's the verdict on this one? I have been pretty anti-pre-order on everything the last few years, especially EA related (Sim City 5...cmon EA), so I usually wait a week or two.

My son saw a promo of this on origin when I was getting ready to play Apex...wondering if its worth buying at this point, or to wait a few weeks until the bigs get worked out.

Looks less-KOTOR and more Jedi Outcast/ Jedi Academy.

Also, could I just get origin access for $15, play this game for a little bit, and then cancel if i dont like it?

I guess the only downside is that if I do like the game and want to play it later, I'd still have to buy it. But at that point, the game might be on sale.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
bodaciousbood14
AG
I don't know why everyone's hating on this one...the EA bias is strong obviously but I think this game is pretty awesome.

It's definitely a God of War/Uncharted/Tomb Raider type game where you have to keep going back to different areas of maps once you learn new skills but typically the stories take you there anyway so you're not having to weigh the decision of whether or not you really want to traverse all the way back through a map for one previously unavailable area.

It's also pretty hard. I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty and if you go in thinking you're going to just slash your way through a bunch of dumb storm troopers, like I did, you would be wrong. You have to think about how you're going to take an area based on what kind of enemies are present, and who could be hiding around a corner, and you have to play defensively and wait for opportunities to strike.

There have been several times where I've had an enemy on the ropes and I try to just take an extra swing to finish them off...no dice...and the save points are infuriatingly far away sometimes too.

I've probably put ten hours in so far so that's just my impression.

Don't think I had any spoilers.
Sentinel
AG
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and it's ridiculous!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Super hard, super fun. Story feels classic Star Wars, although it's weird seeing the kid from Shameless as a Jedi.

Does get a little glitchy if you start running through the levels instead of stopping to fight everyone.

I thought it was going to be a run and gun game like Tomb Raider, but it's much more similar to Sekiro or Dark Souls.
V8Aggie
AG
I hate EA.

But I really am enjoying this one. As everyone said above, it's harder than you expect. You can't just run into a room and slash everything with a mouse click.

Don't think you will be disappointed.
AustinAg2K
I'm a little late to the party, but I got this for Christmas and I've finally been playing it. I'm guessing I'm only a quarter of the way through, but I'm really enjoying this a lot. It has a Tomb Raider feel to it, but I like the climbing and exploring better than Tomb Raider so far. I haven't figured out a way to stealth kill so far, though. Anyways, I was very excited to get this game, and so far it is better than I expected.
CoppellAg93
AG
Bought it after Christmas - only played once so far. Having a hard time figuring out where exactly to go at certain points. Destiny has me spoiled with the radar showing what direction to go. I do think it will be a fun game.
AustinAg2K
I spent a good 45 minutes last night lost on a planet trying to find my way back to my ship, but that's one thing I love about more open worlds. I love to just explore. I wouldn't say Fallen Order is an open world game, but the planets are fairly open, and the visuals are great, so I enjoyed just exploring everything.
Not a Bot
AG
Definitely one of my favorite games I've played in a while. It is worth picking up.

Definitely harder than I thought it would be. You have to be very thoughtful in how you approach certain situations. The levels are designed to make sure you kind of know what you are doing to be able to move on.

There are some very beautiful landscapes.
Chase McGuire
Put me in the camp that wasn't impressed with this one. Game is buggy as all hell on PS4, but beyond that, it tries to be a mix of Uncharted, Sekiro, and Metroid but doesn't do anything nearly as well as those games. It's frustrating to play and feels clunky a majority of the time. And not that it matters a whole lot, but the graphics are far behind comparative AAA games. The story was fun, and that's really the only thing that impressed me. It's sad, because I had high hopes for this one and love the Sekiro/Dark Souls style of combat. It could have used another 6 months in the oven for polish.
Tomdoss92
AG
Enjoying the game so far, but the whole find your way back to the ship using that horribad map is frustrating. And unlocking shortcuts sometimes helps but other times it is ok... take this exit to that zipline to this elevator run over to that tunnel... oh crap now i'm completely on the other side of the map.
kyledr04
AG
Yeah unlocking some of the ambiguous puzzles, navigating back through maps, and sparse save points make it less enjoyable but it's still been interesting and the action/graphics are awesome.
jr15aggie
AG
Got it for my son (9) for Christmas. I assumed it was more like assassins creed mixed with star wars. I was pleasantly surprised to find its more like Dark Souls.

My kid has played a little, it's hard for him. Dad, on the other hand, has put significant time in it.

Not a perfect game, but Dark Souls Star Wars... uh, yes please!
Prime0882
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Put me in the camp that wasn't impressed with this one. Game is buggy as all hell on PS4, but beyond that, it tries to be a mix of Uncharted, Sekiro, and Metroid but doesn't do anything nearly as well as those games. It's frustrating to play and feels clunky a majority of the time. And not that it matters a whole lot, but the graphics are far behind comparative AAA games. The story was fun, and that's really the only thing that impressed me. It's sad, because I had high hopes for this one and love the Sekiro/Dark Souls style of combat. It could have used another 6 months in the oven for polish.
I am going to finish this game since supposedly it's pretty short, but, this post echoes my thoughts on what I have played so far (three planets in) as well.

I know they're going for Dark Souls kinda combat, but, the camera just frustrates me to no end if I try to dodge in some of these smaller rooms and then locked into being hit over and over again until I'm dead. If you're going for the power fantasy of being a Jedi, I would have thought God of War style combat (something quick and responsive, yet you're not immortal) would have been better to mimic than Dark Souls.

Add to the combat issues that sometimes the Uncharted style gameplay also has issues, namely jumping from rope to rope and the stupid ice skating/gliding, have major issues and this is a game that I also believe could have used another six months of polish to take some of the frustrations out of the gameplay.

The world and set pieces look gorgeous, but, the characters themselves have a ton of pop-in and look wonky on a PS4 Pro.

I'd recommend buying this on sale for those who may be interested.
Not a Bot
AG
I actually liked the ice/hill slides. Agree with the graphics, particularly in the cutscenes. They aren't up to par with other games. The pilot of the ship looks plastic, like something from PS3.

Not a fan of having to fight these boss fights 500 times to finally win. Even if you use the good techniques they can be a huge grind and it only takes one misstep to have to start the fight over again.
Chase McGuire
I think the biggest issue is that when I die in Dark Souls, I know it was my fault. Almost every single death could be avoided if I made smarter decisions or reacted more quickly. It's a system that makes you learn and eventually makes you better. You can reasonably master it.

In this game, I constantly felt like the game was killing me even when I did exactly what it wanted. Then on the fifth or tenth try, I'd do the exact same thing and it would inexplicably work. No rhyme or reason. It's frustrating and just feels poorly designed.

I'll hop off the thread now, though. I'm glad most seem to be liking it.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Lol, you guys have just explained why I hear groans of frustration coming from my son's TV room when he's playing this game. I'll be sure to tell him he's not the only one frustrated with the gameplay and responses.
Not a Bot
AG
The more I fight this stupid flying bat thing the more I agree with you. I can't beat it. I hit the button to roll out of the way and I get stuck in an animation and get hit. The controls are not responsive when you do something. It's like I'm playing Madden all over again. Very frustrated. I just want to be able to hit a button to dodge and have the guy actually attempt to dodge. Instead, half the time he just stands there or continues to do some sort of pre-programmed animation thing instead of doing what I want.

It's been like two freaking hours for this one freaking boss fight.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It got to the point where I absolutely LOATHED anytime another ice slide came up. An absolutely atrocious aspect of an otherwise great game.
Vade281
AG
Finally beat the game. Loved it, but it felt maybe a couple hours too long for me. Can't wait for a sequel.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
fig96
AG
Just picked it up for PS4, looking forward to digging in.
TriumphForks
AG
Got it for Christmas and played the first hour or so a few days ago. It didn't suck me in and I haven't played it since. I will get to it eventually....

Didn't help that the majority of what I played was Uncharted style platforming. I like the Uncharted games and all but the platforming segments are probably the weakest parts of those games in terms of the gameplay.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
TriumphForks said:

Got it for Christmas and played the first hour or so a few days ago. It didn't suck me in and I haven't played it since. I will get to it eventually....

Didn't help that the majority of what I played was Uncharted style platforming. I like the Uncharted games and all but the platforming segments are probably the weakest parts of those games in terms of the gameplay.
So you only played the parts that are designed to teach people the mechanics?
Wheatables02
AG
Just finished it on PS4 this week - Here are my thoughts....

There were some boss battles that I tried about 8-10 times and just gave up and lowered the skill level to move on. These were in the second half of the game.

Great story with awesome cut scenes and cameos. There was definitely a lull in the middle third of the game, but the last third was the tits.

Controls were good, but not great.

Overall, it was worth every dime.

bangobango
AG
Dark Souls in Space.
Chase McGuire
Not even close
Tex Aggie
AG
Just beat it and finished the story. Intriguing game, was harder than I expected. Took longer than expected and honestly had to look up a few things online to figure out how to do a few things.

Would recommend. Now will go back through certain worlds and purposely find secrets and hidden things I've missed
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.