Google announces Stadia (Cloud gaming service)

7,721 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hph6203
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fair enough, but I think you might have overlooked what I was saying. The latency between the local client and the display is unchanged, if it was 50ms before it will still be 50ms. I'm only talking about the increases in latency due to distance for control/response of having the compute and graphics processing remotely operated. Display lag is what it is, but I think when that's amplified for control and response plus additional display latency end to end it will be irritating. Right now the latency between your controller and console is <1ms. To send control signalling across 10-20ms latency to a remote server is probably going to be irritating. The display latency on top of that will be what it is plus the additional for remote.

Interesting side note. There's a company that's been working on this for a while already. I saw a youtube video about it a few months ago. They have a client device to handle the streaming. The responsive on it was decent, however they were next door to the datacenter for testing. Keep in mind that this is with a client device they've built specifically to optimize performance. I'm sure some people on here have seen Linus Tech Tips videos before

Pilmer
AG
From a financing perspective, the first to leave the market will be Sony.
HossAg
AG
Input lag isn't the same as response time, which is the number you're referring to when you say 1-2 ms of input lag. The fastest input lag monitor available for 60 hz gaming has 8 ms of input lag, and most TVs and monitors get way above that. So adding the latency we're talking about with cloud services still might not be noticeable to the casual gamer if they upgrade their TV setup. That said, there's no way I could play fps games on a cloud service. There would just be too much latency for "competitive" gaming unless their willing to put data centers in every street corner.
AustinAg2K
hph6203 said:

For me, I play primarily third person action adventure games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider) or 2D Platformers (Celeste, Ori and the Blind Forest).

That's why I say Sony is in the most trouble of all of them. I don't believe their games are unique enough to justify the purchase of their console if the alternative is close enough and significantly cheaper.

Just wanted to point out you said Sony games aren't unique, but two of the games you mention playing most are Sony exclusives (Uncharted and the Last of Us). I think what something like the Switch has proven is that the hardware doesn't matter as much anymore. It's all about the games. The Switch is underpowered compared to both PS4 and XBox, but has been outselling them. If Google can get game developers to buy in they will succeed. If not, they will fail.
AustinScubaAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

hph6203 said:

For me, I play primarily third person action adventure games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider) or 2D Platformers (Celeste, Ori and the Blind Forest).

That's why I say Sony is in the most trouble of all of them. I don't believe their games are unique enough to justify the purchase of their console if the alternative is close enough and significantly cheaper.

Just wanted to point out you said Sony games aren't unique, but two of the games you mention playing most are Sony exclusives (Uncharted and the Last of Us). I think what something like the Switch has proven is that the hardware doesn't matter as much anymore. It's all about the games. The Switch is underpowered compared to both PS4 and XBox, but has been outselling them. If Google can get game developers to buy in they will succeed. If not, they will fail.
Also these games have sections that require reasonable precise controls. Either the game has to be easier to allow for variability of control latency or they have to enforce some kind of fixed latency.
AustinScubaAg
AG
HossAg said:

Input lag isn't the same as response time, which is the number you're referring to when you say 1-2 ms of input lag. The fastest input lag monitor available for 60 hz gaming has 8 ms of input lag, and most TVs and monitors get way above that. So adding the latency we're talking about with cloud services still might not be noticeable to the casual gamer if they upgrade their TV setup. That said, there's no way I could play fps games on a cloud service. There would just be too much latency for "competitive" gaming unless their willing to put data centers in every street corner.
It is not just competitive games. There a number of platformer type games that need precise control. Think about the sections of super mario where you either move forward or die. Imagine when success or failure of a level depends on the variable lag of the network.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah!
hph6203
AG
Unique and good aren't the same thing. Uncharted and Last of Us are enjoyable games, but they're not unique. Their execution is top tier, but the gameplay and beats of the stories aren't ridiculously dissimilar from other games I've played. The vast majority of PS4 owners did not buy Uncharted 4 (10 million), Horizon Zero Dawn (10 million), Spiderman (8 million) or God of War (8 million). If you took all of the first party title sales and added them up they would barely beat the total number of PS4 consoles sold.

Compare that attachment rate to Nintendo's and you'll understand what I mean by unique or a draw to a platform. Nintendo Switch has been out for two years now and it's top 5 best selling games (Mario Kart, Mario, Smash, Zelda, Pokmon Let's Go) have outsold the best selling first party game on the PS4 (Horizon Zero Dawn). That's with 30 million consoles for the Switch to Playstation 4's 92 million.

The point being that in the next console generation, Xbox is going to be able to say play every game we've ever had on one of our consoles. Play them anywhere you want on anything you want and you don't even need to buy a new console to play the next generation of games.

I just see streaming as a supplement for most people for the time being, a way to continue to play their games on the go or to take their game from their main gaming TV to another room, but the input latency that was exhibited at their event was measured to be equal to an Xbox One X running on an LG OLED C8. So when people say that the input lag is never going to be good enough to replace a console I just don't see that. Not with fiber speeds (latency and bandwidth) right around the corner. As that happens people are going to see that their second screen isn't that much worse than their primary one and they'll dump the console.
YouBet
AG
I'll stick with Steam and not be participating. Thanks.
JobSecurity
AG
They're announcing price, games, and I assume availability date on Thursday at 11

hph6203
AG
November launch.
9.99 per month for Stadia Pro
Stadia Pro is 4K, 60FPS, HDR, 5.1 Surround,
Other games will be purchased
31 games available at launch
$69 controller
Founders bundle $130 (Chromecast Ultra, Controller, 3 months Stadia Pro, 3 months of Stadia Pro to gift to a friend)

There will supposedly be a base subscription next year that has no subscription fee and allows you to stream games at 1080p 60FPS.

Confirmed games:
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
DOOM Eternal
DOOM 2016
Rage 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Destiny 2
Get Packed
GRID
Metro Exodus
Thumper
Farming Simulator 19
Baldur's Gate 3
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Football Manager
Samurai Shodown
Final Fantasy XV
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
NBA 2K
Borderlands 3
Gylt
Mortal Kombat 11
Darksiders Genesis
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Just Dance
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Tom Clancy's The Division 2
Trials Rising
The Crew 2

Microsoft has said they'll have over 3,000 games at launch of their service.
JobSecurity
AG
Waiting for the xcloud announcement to decide which way to go. I think this is priced really well but my only concern is game availability and price. If it had COD or BF I would probably go for it today
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Google will have to pay me money to switch from Microsoft. If anything my inner geek is looking forward to getting the Anaconda.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
hph6203
AG
Yeah, it's not that much more bandwidth intensive than 4K Netflix though. It's not a replacement for someone that wants to buy a console today, but it's the future.

It's why I think Microsoft and Sony have the edge over Google.

Microsoft is launching with over 3,000 titles. They can bundle Game Pass/Gold with it and they have consumers with a library of games already. They also give you the option to buy a console/playing on PC so you're not always using data.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
Meh. What the hell. I preordered one.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Duncan Idaho
The traveling thing is a big part of it. My parents are getting old enough that I have to go across the state to help them more and more (like this week) and it would be nice to be able to throw it in my bag and go. I am a pretty casual gamer, so even as long as there is one or two decent single player games available I will be fine.

I doubt I will pay for the subscription service and just buy a few games here and there.

As far as tech impulse buys it was fairly cheap.
hph6203
AG
It's why I don't think this service is going to be nearly as successful as Microsoft's. Microsoft's adds utility to a traditional console. Buy one console for your primary gaming experience. End up playing that game anywhere you want inside or outside of your house.

I also think, strictly speaking. That this service is geared towards getting more than the traditional gamer to buy games and for that kind of person (aka the way I play games) it's not going to be that big of a deal. I may play 2-3 games a year and spending $400 on a console is excessive for that. I won't be getting Stadia, I might get xCloud.
Pman17
AG
XCloud Details will be announced Sunday. Much bigger launch library.
Olsen
AG
Ubisoft's subscription service Uplay+ will be available on Stadia.
JJxvi
AG
Duncan Idaho
That last panel is my biggest concern.
Bregxit
AG
Yikes!

Dawnguard
AG
Disclaimer: I preordered Stadia, and am generally positive on new google products/attempts

That whole video felt like a script to hit every single negative thing going on with stadia. He follows it up with a 25 minute video saying the controller sucks. My quick attempt to discredit him: I have heard nothing about the Stadia app not working (and yet he had to find someone with a pixel 2 to install it??? give me a break). I haven't followed that specific youtuber, but after watching it, I'm going to assume he's PC Master Race 100% I also feel accustomed to sloppy launches and seriously doubted Google's ability to pull this off smoothly and basically assumed I was paying to be part of a Beta.

I haven't had much time to play with Stadia, but my initial impressions are positive. I saw a lot of press demos with terrible lag -- this seems to have magically cleared up to "not bad" levels, meaning if you're a casual gamer, you're not going to notice. The graphics, at least so far, have been console grade. Nothing special, but definitely not bad. The games are limited, and there's likely going to be massive development before the "free" version hits.

If this has been on your radar, it works better than OnLive, and absolutely has potential. The biggest benefit is simply being able to load up a game anywhere (assuming stadia.google.com isn't blocked at work/school), and being able to keep playing the same saved games. Kids want the good TV? I'll just hop on my PC for a bit then.

If you're happy with your current setup then wait 6 months for the regular launch. Game library will be larger, kinks will be smoothed out, and all the details will be easy to find. The only thing you're missing by waiting is expanding the pro library - which is not likely to be anything new or expensive. I'm also betting that there will be some sort of "metered mode" added for those with data caps to help monitor and reduce your usage.

hph6203
AG
He does PC benchmarking and over clocking with liquid nitrogen, he is not anywhere near the target market for a service like this.

The casual reviews I've seen is that the tech works, the features are barebones, and the library isn't great. In other words it's early access, which should have been obvious from the fact it's useable on only Google phones and Chromecast and available only to people who pre-ordered the founders edition. Everything about that screams the launch before the launch.

Basically the question should be, does the tech work? Yes? I'm impressed. 5 years ago if you told someone this would be possible most people would think you were crazy based upon previous attempts, but here we are. It works, it's just not polished.
tamusc
AG
Looks like they need to work on that negative latency still...

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/heres-how-stadias-input-lag-compares-to-native-pc-gaming/
tamusc
AG
I follow Steve's content pretty regularly and the thing you have to understand with him is that his reviews are heavily influenced by how a product is presented or marketed by the company and doesn't pull any punches. He also tries to review products in a way that as closely resembles the actual out of the box consumer experience as possible rather than as a carefully controlled press demo that won't be what ends up in your hands. Steve didn't say anything that wasn't being echoed by numerous others, myself included. Steve's issue with the Stadia app was that it was required to use the app to register their account before you could even play on a PC in Chrome and he is likely right on the reason why Google put that requirement in place. Google wants the app installed on your phone because they want to harvest data from that.

I was one of those pissed off Founder's Edition preorder customers who screwed with a delayed code and didn't receive my Founder's Edition package on launch day despite ordering the day preorders went live. Google made a number of mistakes leading up to, during, and after launch and doubled down on those mistakes with poor communication.

Regarding his criticisms of the controller, he also focuses on right to repair. He hates designs that turn expensive electronics into commodity products that can't be repaired by the end user. Google made a controller that is nearly impossible for the end user to repair or even replace the battery on. He criticized Google for that and very clearly demonstrated why. You can agree with him or not about the right to repair is important to consumers, but his criticism is regarding whether the controller IS repairable is valid.

Basically Steve is a consumer advocate that wants products to meet the claims that companies make about said products and wants those products to be something consumers can continue to use for years rather than them becoming yet more e-waste.
AgsWin2011
AG
I like to play video games, but the older I get, the harder it is for me to get invested (wife/kids/work). A lot of times when I do find time to play, I'm just too tired.

I have an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, so I'm setup plenty good. My oldest is getting to the age where he like to play regularly.

I'm hoping this eventually takes off like TV streaming services. I'm like others and would have never thought 5 years ago that my TV provider would be a streaming service (YouTube TV), and that I actually like that service better than DirecTV.

I think in another 4-5 years this could be the same thing for video games that it is for TV now. I'm sure a few years after the new Xbox and PS5, this will take off and they will have their own console-less streaming services.
tamusc
AG
Microsoft is already doing extensive testing with Project Xcloud that works alongside an Xbox. You can play a game on Xcloud and pick up its progress on an Xbox and vice versa or you can play without any Xbox.
kb2001
AG
Your take on Steve is spot-on. The things he focuses on are customer/end-user experience, and deceptive marketing. If a company claims something about a product, he will hold them to that in a pretty objective way. He will explain what it actually can do, what is misleading about the marketing, what was accurate about the marketing, and what the value and performance of the item is.

As an example, he had great things to say about the performance of intel's 9900K (? I may have the wrong processor), but intel had hired a company to performance test them and presented the results as part of the press/marketing materials. Steve crucified the performance testing methodology and results, even went to the company and spoke with the CIO (maybe CEO?) about his concerns with their testing. The Exec was pessimistic going into the interview, but Steve was focused purely on data, methodology, and explaining why their choices may have been poor ones for their test benches. Coming out, the Exec was pleased with the feedback. All that was over intel's deceptive marketing, he still had a high opinion of the processor and pointed out exactly why.

I'd never thought of him as a consumer advocate, just a well-informed, experienced, no-BS tech junkie, but that's exactly what he does. He tells it like it is, and he calls out companies that make false or exaggerated claims in their marketing, or fail to deliver on promises, and he somehow manages to do so objectively. To call him "PC Master race" is a bit mis-leading. His performance based focus is on gaming rigs, because that's where the minutiae of high-end consumer grade computer components is most evident, he is most definitely not the snob that phrase implies.
Bregxit
AG
He has also dabbled in console technical reviews and benchmarks in the past.
Dawnguard
AG
I can respect that viewpoint - consumer advocate. Stadia for sure hasnt hit their promises for the launch. Video felt like a script to hit all the negatives with the (albeit true/reasonable) lack of testing. I think I've just seen so much pile on mentality that the legit reviews like Engadget end up getting drowned out from the noise.

I'm thinking the selling point of "you just need to buy this game, nothing else" will absolutely be a feather in Stadia's cap once the system matures (hopefully by the time cyberpunk comes out).

tamusc
AG
Well here's Steve's review of the actual service after they bought a code from a viewer because they still hadn't received their Founder's Edition code. Short version is that his data aligns with what I was seeing in comparison between my gaming PC (custom watercooled 2080 Ti with a 165Hz display) and Stadia using both the browser (on same 165Hz display) and Chromecast Ultra. I only played Destiny 2 on Stadia because I didn't want to buy any other games for now and I did not play any PVP game modes, though the PVP played pool is limited to other Stadia users.

Initially, I tried the Chromecast Ultra using its WiFi connection and the amount of near constant micro-stuttering actually made me motion sick. Moving the Chromecast Ultra to a wired Ethernet connection eliminated the micro-stuttering.

I will say that experience on Stadia using the Chromecast Ultra with the wired Ethernet connection felt and looked as good or better than playing on either a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X. I switched between both consoles and Stadia multiple times to be sure. The fact that Stadia runs Destiny 2 at 60fps versus 30fps on either console makes a world of difference. In addition, the general loading is insanely faster than even my PS4 Pro running an SSD and even the menus are more responsive. I did have some times where the resolution would randomly drop or the feed would freeze, but those issues weren't common in a few hours of playing yesterday.

Bottom line, PC gaming isn't going anywhere, but Stadia can achieve an experience on par or better with the highest end current gen consoles when everything is actually working. However, I still have concerns in regards to the long term viability of Stadia as Steve laid out in his video and will not be purchasing additional games from the service for now (barring a crazy good sale). I will however be continuing the Pro version of the service and will have access to a new free game every month to expand my Stadia library. For now though, Stadia will likely be my couch gaming platform of choice for Destiny 2 when my friends aren't online and that alone shows that Google has achieved more than I thought they would at this point with Stadia.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.