mesh wifi

15,360 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got the Orbi RBK23 with 3 full size units. I get very good speed and connection finally.
Something I was not sure about was that you can create a daisy chain network. (i.e. Rtr -> S1 -> S2)
My internet comes in on one side of the house, so I put the router there.
The first satellite (next in the chain) is in the den in the middle of the house.
The second satellite (connecting to the the first satellite) is on the far side of the house.
Eventually I plan to put the router in the den in the middle unless I find no reason to. (i.e. S1 <- Rtr -> S2)
tamusc
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

I got the Orbi RBK23 with 3 full size units. I get very good speed and connection finally.
Something I was not sure about was that you can create a daisy chain network. (i.e. Rtr -> S1 -> S2)
The first satellite (next in the chain) is in the den in the middle of the house.
The second satellite (connecting to the the first satellite) is on the far side of the house.
Eventually I plan to put the router in the den in the middle unless I find no reason to. (i.e. S1 <- Rtr -> S2)

Oh nice, glad they added that functionality. Looks like they added that in a software update about two months after I bought a Velop system. The lack of daisy chain topology (at the time) was the deciding factor in me going with Velop over Orbi due to the flexibility that option provides. While I've had a good experience with Velop (had one hub die and it took a week or so of back and forth to get Linksys to finally replace it, no issues since), I do wish I had more Ethernet ports on the satellites like Orbi does.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
tamusc said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Oh nice, glad they added that functionality. Looks like they added that in a software update about two months after I bought a Velop system. The lack of daisy chain topology (at the time) was the deciding factor in me going with Velop over Orbi due to the flexibility that option provides. While I've had a good experience with Velop (had one hub die and it took a week or so of back and forth to get Linksys to finally replace it, no issues since), I do wish I had more Ethernet ports on the satellites like Orbi does.
RBK23 has one internet port and one Ethernet on router, 2 Ethernet on each satellite. I had to use a switch on my router for my many accessories.
tamusc
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

tamusc said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

RBK23 has one internet port and one Ethernet on router, 2 Ethernet on each satellite. I had to use a switch on my router for my many accessories.
Ahh, so that's another way for them to segment their various models then. Hadn't really looked at their lower end models.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
tamusc said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

tamusc said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Ahh, so that's another way for them to segment their various models then. Hadn't really looked at their lower end models.
I honestly did not look at the port count until it arrived (yes, I should have), but had a Network switch so all is good.
Ajollyag
Bought a $200 netgear nighthawk router last year and it started rebooting on me every 5 minutes, couldnt get any work done. That plus trying to explain it to netgear customer service made me decide i would never buy another netgear product again. Kind of like how my samsung refrigerator's icemaker stopped working a month after the 1 year warranty ended. Ill never buy samsung again either.

Looking into getting the eero pro system when our new home gets built. Have researched and heard good things about it. However it is a lot pricier than the google wifi
fooz
My AmpliFi HD has been rock solid for the last 2 months.

I have the router in the office in middle of the house, 1 mesh in the master and 1 on the opposite side of the house. Have't had any drops that I'm aware of.

They have a beta tool I did a quick sketch up in just to see the results. You can draw borders/types to see optimal coverage.

Whoop Delecto
AG
Old School Brother
Sold out
Old School Brother
anyone using orbi system with FIOS internet coming in over coax through their G1100 modem/router? If so, care to share your setup? trying to decide between configuring G1100 into bridge mode or removing it altogether and converting the coax to ethernet with a MOCA adapter, then plugging the orbi directly into that.
Wildmen03
AG
Old School Brother said:

Sold out
https://www.woot.com/offers/netgear-orbi-home-mesh-wifi-system?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_tl

Up again.
Wildmen03
AG
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Wall-Plug-Whole-System/dp/B072ZN4PSB?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_cc179e6b_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

RBK33 system is on sale at Amazon. I have this one at my house, it works great. It's about $40 cheaper than what I paid for it.
aTm2004
AG
How do the wall plugs perform vs. the normal system?
tamusc
AG
aTm2004 said:

How do the wall plugs perform vs. the normal system?
For most people, there's probably not as much noticeable difference unless they have large number of devices connecting through the same plug-in exptender at the same time. The lack of a wired connection, for either wired backhaul or for wired devices, is kind of a bummer, but again, probably not something the average consumer will notice right now unless it's a specific need.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I got the Orbi RBK23 with 3 full size units. LOVE ME SOME ORBI, Thanks NetGear!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
texag06ish
AG
What is the advantage (if any) to daisy chaining Orbi's?

Also, is there any advantage to plugging the sats into Ethernet jacks?
foulbeast
AG
texag06ish said:

Don't know about the daisy chaining as I don't do it.

I run my satellites with gigabit ethernet backhaul, and my system performs much better wired than it does when the satellites were connected wirelessly. Ethernet backhaul with almost always perform better than the wireless backhaul, unless it auto-negotiates down to 100Mbps instead of a 1000Mbps due to limitations in the wiring (like a long run of Cat 5). With wireless backhaul, some of the radio resources will be used for backhaul and not available to wireless clients, so there are more channels available for client connections. And the 2.4 and 5.0GHz bands are generally pretty congested in residential areas due to every home having WiFi and a bunch of clients -- so running the backhaul over a wire eliminates that problem at least for the backhaul.
tamusc
AG
texag06ish said:

Daisy chaining is useful if you have a spot in your house where you need to place a satellite, but it's not close enough to the main hub to get a decent connection (and there's no wired connection). In this case, you could have another satellite that's closer than the main hub to your first satellite that you could connect to, which would then connect to the hub. Ideally you want everything to connect to the main hub for optimal performance, but sometimes you just can't get a satellite within range of the main hub without sacrificing coverage.

This is especially if you have long house with the modem connection on one end.
Counterpoint
AG
I have a very slow internet connection (my ISP sucks out in the country). Do I need to worry about these slowing it down even more if I don't use ethernet to backhaul, OR since I wouldn't even be close to using all of the Orbi's potential bandwidth is this something I don't need to worry about?

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Typical Star topography
(Router in the middle talking directly to a satellite)

S <-- R --> S

Daisy Chain
(Router on the end of the chain talking directly to one satellite that is talking to the next satellite.

R --> S --> S

* R = Router
* S = Satellite
Astroag
AG
Just got ATT fiber 1000 using RBK50 set purchased from costco...Runs amazingly. Get around 600 down via wireless connection.
tfunk02
AG
Counterpoint said:

I have a very slow internet connection (my ISP sucks out in the country). Do I need to worry about these slowing it down even more if I don't use ethernet to backhaul, OR since I wouldn't even be close to using all of the Orbi's potential bandwidth is this something I don't need to worry about?

Have you looked at the OTR Mobile thread? If you get decent cell service then you can get much better internet out in the country than most WISPs provide.

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3026369
Counterpoint
AG
tfunk02 said:

Counterpoint said:

Have you looked at the OTR Mobile thread? If you get decent cell service then you can get much better internet out in the country than most WISPs provide.

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3026369
Looking now, thanks!
chet98
AG
I recently found this thread as I'm thinking about a mesh system.

Two story house with router in first floor one side of the house. 3400 s.f. Our master bedroom is on the first floor opposite side of the house from router and speed in the bedroom (ha, ha) is not great. I can't get on the 5ghz band hardly at all and the 2.4ghz band is not that fast.

I've been looking at a couple mesh systems and it seems that with most you can't really distinguish between bands....same SSID for each band. How does that work? Are devices like iPad and iPhone smart enough to connect to the 5ghz when they can or switch to the 2.4ghz when they have to? And with a mesh system do I really even care anymore?

TIA
TxAggieBand85
AG
Quote:

....Are devices like iPad and iPhone smart enough to connect to the 5ghz when they can or switch to the 2.4ghz when they have to? And with a mesh system do I really even care anymore?
Yes, devices will just connect and may switch between bands. What I've noticed since going to a mesh system is that 'it just works' and the dead and weak spots are gone. Good luck, lots of good systems out there, you vote with your money.
YouBet
AG
Astroag said:

Just got ATT fiber 1000 using RBK50 set purchased from costco...Runs amazingly. Get around 600 down via wireless connection.
Which ATT gateway are you on? Pace? I didn't think you could get speeds like that on WiFi with that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.