mesh wifi

15,257 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the best mesh wifi for home use?

My wifi is driving me crazy and i want to start over. Also and recommendations for someone to set it up in Austin?

tia
Signel
AG
I've been happy with the google wifi for low price, ease of setup and the ability to throttle the kids. I wish I had more features in the management app, but for the price, it solved most of my problems. It took 15 minutes to setup and just about anyone could do it themselves.
John Beckwith
AG
I've used Google WiFi for a couple years now and haven't had any issues. I do know that a lot of other companies have come into the market with good products since I bought these.

As far as setup goes these are as diy as possible. Plug one in open an app and it's setup. Then just plug the others in and scan using the app the they're setup. I'm not sure if the other brands are this easy to setup.
MisterShipWreck
According to Leo Laporte, who hosts a radio show every weekend, the orbi and the plume are the 2 best ones.
kyledr04
AG
Orbi has been awesome for me. One bit of advice. If your electricity has occaisonal outages, get some UPCs for your Orbis and router. It's made the connection between Orbis more stable. And depending on your ISP, might stay online even during the power outage.
jay040
I've used the Netgear Orbi system (2 nodes) have great coverage through the house and backyard
Max Power
AG
Had Orbi for about a year now, no complaints. We cut the cord a couple years ago, performance improved significantly after getting Orbi. Router in the living area, one satellite in the master, another in the basement.
Bigballin
AG
Second Orbi. Sticker shocked but the performance improvement was worth it.
dodger02
AG
Another Orbi house, here.

I cover about 3,500+ sqft with an Orbi RBK23. It's a bit lower cost than their higher end model...which usually ends up being overkill for most consumers.

It took about 10 minutes to set up and has worked pretty much flawlessly. Negligible speed decline throughout my home and we run a lot of devices.
aggieforester05
AG
Had Google wifi for three years and it's been flawless.
saltydog13
AG
Another vote for google Wifi here. Have 2 nodes for 2000 square foot house and it works fantastic.
jr15aggie
AG
Google wifi been awesome for me.

I think the take away from this thread should be old WiFi routers are terrible by comparison... you will be very happy with Google or Orbi.
LostInLA07
AG
Google has been great for me. My grandparents have eero and it works fine for them. I think all the mesh systems are similar. Google isn't really for a power user...it lacks a lot of the customization and logging I used to have with dd-wrt and my netgear router but I reallly don't need those capabilities anymore. You also have to use their app...not sure if that will bother you.
aggieforester05
AG
The one thing I hate about Orbi, is that if you need an extra station, it costs almost as much as the two stations you get with the original package. I added a station for my parents and it cost $200 to expand. I like that the google system comes with three for less than the Orbi with two. Having experience with both systems, the google system works better for spread out compartmentalized homes imo. It's simply easier to space three than it is two.
ExPLK
AG
Another vote for Orbi.
caleblyn
I have Smartthings wifi which acts as a smart hub for some smart devices I have. I have only been using it for about two weeks but it has been nice. I have three hubs. My home is 2800 sf, two stories
AgGunNut
AG
I've used Eero for a few years. Easy to install, works like it's supposed to. Can't ask for much more. That being said, they've impressed me with their customer service. One of the units somehow got fried. They ran a remote diagnostic and overnighted me a new one well after the warranty had expired.
OasisMan
AG
I've had zero issues with the Google wifi
Cartographer
Purchased google WiFi and returned it within 24 hours. Just can't handle the same speeds the Orbi can. Might have been a dud but forums indicate I was not alone.

Orbi has been solid since the day of return. Good luck with your decision.
Cappy407
AG
Orbi is expensive but generally gets the best reviews and ratings. That said, what exactly is the problem with your WiFi? If you're needing someone to come set it up, my guess is you aren't the most tech savvy. Do you need to invest in a mesh network? Or would something as simple as a range extender, better router, etc solve the issue?
Reveille
AG
I highly recommend Google WiFi. I have Google WiFi in three homes 6,000, 7,700 and 10,000 sq ft. I use 3, 3 and 4 nodes in my homes with speeds over 250mb/s throughout all of the houses. Coverage is amazing on all floors and in back yard. Might get faster speeds but internet is only 285mb/s.

It's easy to set up and manage. I have been using for 3 years with no problems or complaints.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
Another very satisfied Orbi user here. 3600 sq ft on two stories and the back yard, stable and awesome. Almost completely hassle free and those hassles were more due to Spectrum than anything else.
Not a Bot
AG
My Linksys bit the dust yesterday, so I got Google Wi-Fi on sale at Best Buy. Has been fantastic so far. Very easy to set up and use. As others have said, it isn't very customizable but I love the fact you can control it from the app on your phone.
nwspmp
I have the Linksys Velop 3-node system at home. I've had it for quite a while (longer than publicly available) and it's been rock solid for me.

Google WiFi, Velop and Eero are the ones I've heard the best about. Plume used to be rated fairly decently, but I simply can't get behind a yearly membership to get beyond the most basic of operation of my own purchased gear.
aTm2004
AG
Reveille said:

I highly recommend Google WiFi. I have Google WiFi in three homes 6,000, 7,700 and 10,000 sq ft. I use 3, 3 and 4 nodes in my homes with speeds over 250mb/s throughout all of the houses. Coverage is amazing on all floors and in back yard. Might get faster speeds but internet is only 285mb/s.

It's easy to set up and manage. I have been using for 3 years with no problems or complaints.
You have 3 houses that are each more than double the average home size in the US?
aTm2004
AG
How do these things do in a garage or workshop (temp changes mostly)? We have 3,400 sq/ft, and one side of the house upstairs is spotty at best, but I have a range extender that works for the current needs, but we'll need more as our kids grow and their demands grow with it.

We also have a detached garage that we can currently get WiFi in at certain spots, but we also have a good sized room built on the back of it that we're converting to a workout room, and I'd like to have a TV (currently use PSVue) out there to watch when we're working out or to move into the garage for games during nice weather.
Flashdiaz
AG
aTm2004 said:

Reveille said:

You have 3 houses that are each more than double the average home size in the US?
this was quite the humblebrag.

I have Google Wifi in my Penthouses and Yachts but the wifi coverage is spoty when i'm on my private island.
wrinkledink
AG
Flashdiaz said:

aTm2004 said:

Reveille said:

this was quite the humblebrag.

I have Google Wifi in my Penthouses and Yachts but the wifi coverage is spoty when i'm on my private island.
Is your island the one where Fyre festival was hosted?
Old School Brother
Anyone with more experience with the smartthings wifi with built in hub? Currently trying to decide between Google wifi and standalone hub or the smartthings system.
Red Rover
AG
I've tried several different wifi setups and due to house layout and metal in some walls it's been spotty no matter what. I got an Orbi with the router + 2 satellites in December and we have excellent coverage throughout the house. All of our external security cameras also have excellent coverage. It was a bit more than I really wanted to spend but beats continuing to try new routers and mess with placement of extenders. Orbi was also easy to setup.
tamusc
AG
Orbi, Velop and then Eero have consistently topped mesh WiFi reviews in terms of performance. Google WiFi has lagged behind those three, especially for performance. Google WiFi was nice when it was one of the early big players, but the competition surpassed it a while ago. They'd not to say that Google WiFi is a bad product, but it's not even in the top tier these days, which is actually a positive statement about the current state of consumer mesh WiFi products.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/amp/
dubi
AG
Orbi!

Even I could set it up without help.
matthopp
AG
I live in a 3 story town home and seem like I am always battling slow internet, not sure if it is just because of an old ATT modem. Modem connects on the 3rd story, 1st floor internet is horrible, especially for security cameras constantly buffering and losing connection. I have been looking into updating my home wifi, would Google Mesh or Orbi fit my needs? I only do some streaming of movies, basic internet for work, and have ARLO cameras on the first floor. I am thinking I would put a satellite on each floor. Internet is just slow at the house and I am just outside of downtown Houston.
dubi
AG
Quote:

not sure if it is just because of an old ATT modem.
STEP 1
You need to hardwire into router and do a speed test. No need to waste money on something like Orbi if the modem is the issue.
aTm2004
AG
Why do you have the modem on the 3rd floor? Have you tried the 2nd to see if that solves your issues?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.