Time for a new phone

13,436 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IslandAg76
AGSPORTSFAN07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Matsui said:

iPhone x
iPhone Xs and all the others in that family are not doing well because everyone loves their iPhone x. They don't need to upgrade right now. I have an 8 Plus and don't feel the need to upgrade to the face cancer version but from what I hear, iPhone x is the last phone they'll ever need to buy. Take it FWIW!!!!
Diggity
AG
I doubt Apple expected a significant portion of their customers to upgrade after a year. There's always going to be those that need the latest tech, but most are happy to upgrade every two cycles or so.
94chem
I've like my Huawei P9 so far. But I don't go over $200 on anything destined to be a backsplash tile in 2 years.
Diggity
AG
it's a great phone for the money.
bigboykin
AG
To me, this is the real "iPhone killer". Not the P9 necessarily, but the fact that I can buy a phone outright (with the option to resell or pass it down later) for 15-30% of the cost of an iPhone or Galaxy and they work great. Most also have the options that I hate that many flagships lack (SD slots, headphone jacks, etc.).

I'm on an Huawei Honor 6x that has been a great phone for the past year, no slowing down and minimal battery life loss... I paid a little over $100. My wife is on a Xiaomi Mi A1, and it's an excellent device for the money at <$200.

Way too many really good options in the <$300 space to ever pay $1000 for a flagship and/or get locked into a 2-year lease.
94chem
FYI, the Huawei P9 camera is good, comparable to the Galaxy and Apple flagships, but to each his own. Galaxy has better video stabilization. Huawei has some nice editing features. I'm not a camera junkie, so I'd be happy with either.
YouBet
AG
Isn't Huawei the one that was banned for a while due to Chinese spying piggybacking on the device?

The replaceable battery option went away because it's another way to force you to upgrade sooner.
RangerRick9211
AG
bigboykin said:

To me, this is the real "iPhone killer". Not the P9 necessarily, but the fact that I can buy a phone outright (with the option to resell or pass it down later) for 15-30% of the cost of an iPhone or Galaxy and they work great. Most also have the options that I hate that many flagships lack (SD slots, headphone jacks, etc.).

I'm on an Huawei Honor 6x that has been a great phone for the past year, no slowing down and minimal battery life loss... I paid a little over $100. My wife is on a Xiaomi Mi A1, and it's an excellent device for the money at <$200.

Way too many really good options in the <$300 space to ever pay $1000 for a flagship and/or get locked into a 2-year lease.

X for work and Mi Mix1 for personal. I'm in this camp. If I were in the market today, it would be the Poco F1 from Xiaomi @ $300. There's too much value available on the market to pay $1k for a similarly spec'ed phone.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I know I'm a heretic on here - but get a 4G LTE flip phone, with hotspoting, and buy a small laptop for the same price as the smart phone.

The laptop will have better battery life, and is more efficient to work on, and unless someone calls, is it really all that urgent?
YouBet
AG
I've always gone flagship but with the prices now +$1k I'm going to go value with next phone.
BBQ4Me
AG
Yeah, I don't know why any person would buy a Huawei or a ZTE phone. Maybe a Grandma who is not worried about China intercepting comms
Texaggie7nine
Hat tip. All expensive smart phones are designed to be crap after 2 years. Gotta keep you buyin the new model.
7nine
AggieFrog
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Hat tip. All expensive smart phones are designed to be crap after 2 years. Gotta keep you buyin the new model.

iPhone 7 isn't crap - has 2-3 more years of updates.
bigboykin
AG
Or maybe someone not wearing a tin foil hat who realizes that all our phones were assembled in China.

Also, I'm not that concerned if someone in China knows that my mom found a delicious new flavor of hummus at Publix or why my daughter's teacher thinks she still tinkles a bit during naptime when she's really tired.

Discussing sensitive material on your personal device is probably not a great idea in general. Everything else, I really couldn't care less.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
No. Which is kind of the point. I know, I'm preaching to the corn, here, and I've offered to buy friends of mine phones, if they'd try them for a week.

There are just few, if any, people who really need to be "always" plugged in.

I keep my macbook in a pelican case, and toss it in a small backpack, if I'm cruising around a city - but I'm also usually carrying sunglasses, small umbrella, notepad, larger sidearm, etc in it as well
94chem
Quote:

I know, I'm preaching to the corn, here
Image of Scott Frost at a pep rally.
BBQ4Me
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears
Beezy2389
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I've had both android and iPhone and have an iPhone X. You can call them mindless minions but many are just regular people that need devices that work reliably for a long time without a lot of ****ing bull***** That's me, anyway.
Or you know...until the next phone comes out
BrazosDog02
AG
Beezy2389 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

I've had both android and iPhone and have an iPhone X. You can call them mindless minions but many are just regular people that need devices that work reliably for a long time without a lot of ****ing bull***** That's me, anyway.
Well, I was specifically talking about two years or more. My Samsungs were worn out after 2 years. They were simply not built like my iPhones. Just a personal observation.
nwspmp
BrazosDog02 said:

Beezy2389 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Well, I was specifically talking about two years or more. My Samsungs were worn out after 2 years. They were simply not built like my iPhones. Just a personal observation.
I'd have to agree. I had a Note 1, Note 3, Galaxy S7 and now have an S9. During those same times, I also have had an iPhone 4, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and now a 7+. I typically always have two phones (one business, one personal). The only one that has not had factory or carrier firmware at all times was the Note 3.

On factory/carrier firmwares, the Samsungs would have significant slowdowns around the 1 year mark, even with an every-six-month factory restore. After that point, it was a restore every two-three months, but they still kept bogging down it seemed. The Note 3 was reflashed with an aftermarket firmware and I gave it to my aunt who's still using it, but pretty much for phone calls, text messages and some occasional Facebook.

The Apple phones have been pretty solid. I think The iPhone 5 (?) I may have had to do a factory reset once out of an upgrade, but that's it. The iPhones (5s, 6 and 7+) are all still running (5 on iOS 11 and 6 and 7+ on iOS 12) and work pretty well. The 7+ still has a 93% maximum battery charge capability (it's 28 months old at this point) and reliably works throughout the day ending up with about 20% when I go to bed. My S7, even though it was a lower use amount and about two months newer, would rarely make it through the day. None of them are charged during the day.

I will say that my S9 has been significantly better in the battery game than any of my previous Android phones, edging out my OnePlus One (which with an aftermarket firmware still works great). It also has an alert to recommend to reboot the phone every 7 days, which I find kind of funny and slightly sad that it's needed. I still only reboot it every two-three weeks at best.
cz308
nwspmp said:

OnePlus One (which with an aftermarket firmware still works great).
What firmware are you using?
chjoak
AG
Switched from S8(I think???) To a Pixel 2 earlier this year and couldn't be happier. There a few apps that don't work the same but once you get used to the differences it's hard to imagine going back.
DeBoss
AG
Pixel 3 & XL come out Tuesday if you can wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still rocking my S6 without any major issues.

My 3 biggest complaints:

1. Battery life
2. Occasional app crashes
3. Phone reboots itself when on Airplane Mode and toggling the Wi-Fi (I don't use Airplane Mode much, but when I do it's a frequent problem.)

Other than that, I can't complain too much. The storage space isn't great, which means I constantly have to clean out my pictures once they're in the cloud, and occasionally wiping the cache, but I don't plan on buying a new phone anytime soon. Especially since I bought it out from Sprint for $200.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've also dropped my phone MANY times.

Not a scratch to be seen.
nwspmp
cz308 said:

nwspmp said:

OnePlus One (which with an aftermarket firmware still works great).
What firmware are you using?
Right now, AOSP 8.1 though I've been following the Arrow OS 9.0 stack and waiting for it to mature a bit more.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/rom-aospextended-rom-t3732194
ac04
just bought an XS and it is bad ass. did not consider any other product.
evan_aggie
AG
Lot of folks talking about pixel 3, note 9, lg v40 or whatever aren't likely to differentiate a whole lot on price: these android models are $900+.

That surprised me when I saw it, but you do get more memory for the price.
94chem
For all the people worried about Huawei:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
fire09
AG
I don't think the Pixel 3 is $ 900, maybe the XL?
The Fife
The Nexus 6P told me all I needed to know about Huawei.
94chem
The Fife said:

The Nexus 6P told me all I needed to know about Huawei.

You missed the point.
HossAg
AG
Who's spying on me isn't something I take into consideration when buying a phone. Every phone out there is doing it to some extent. Apple tries to prevent it as much as possible on the software level, so I trust them more than I do the Google manufacturers.
diehard03
Quote:

These threads are always interesting because of the sheer inconsistency in user experience everyone has with Android and iPhone. Folks have completely different experiences on the same models causing them to switch teams. While I stuck with Samsung, my S6 sucked when I had it yet a few on here are still using it. Battery life was just terrible no matter what I did.

I was a long time Android user who got locked into Iphone for work for the past year. They are basically the same thing by now, but every fiber of my being screams that I hate this ****ing phone. It's the only phone I've ever shattered the screen. Even after a year, I just can't seem to get the mindset of it - the slight differences in how everything functions annoys me.

I'll be going back as my company has released some Android phones now, but it won't be because it's an inferior product.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.