God of War - Ps4

10,717 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FightinTexasAg15
Chase McGuire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played a good bit yesterday. Very impressed so far.
easttexasaggie04
AG
How does this game compare to Horizon Zero Dawn?
Chase McGuire
Combat is deeper and takes more time to master. Same for customizing Kratos. It's even prettier, if you can believe it. The world is much less open. I'd compare it to the recent Tomb Raider games - bottlenecks that let you out into an open area before bottlenecking you again - with the story-driven sections becoming more linear.

It's really not much like Horizon when you break it down, but it does give that feel of being a deep enough RPG that isn't going to bore you with stats, crafting and other ancillary systems.
bbattbq01
AG
bbattbq01 said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Does this game require lots of crafting? I don't have time to invest in crafting stuff and collecting ingredients? I got too many kids for that.

Hasn't in the past. Usually just upgrade trees.

I humbly take this back.

There is crafting, seems like you find most of the items in just course of normal exploration. From the very little I've read in fear of seeing any spoilers it seems there is some kind of postgame where I'm sure you can farm for materials to get more powerful equipment but you can finish the main game with just what you get naturally. (Like basic axe upgrades are found in course of main storyline)
Teacher_Ag
AG
One of the rare occasions in which I regret being one of God's chosen PC Master Race.
Cromagnum
AG
It looks good but this is not God of War. It's Last of Us with old man Kratos. I hope the combat picks up, because I'm up to the witch cave area and it's already feeling like a slog.
Cromagnum
AG
DP
MW03
AG
Gorgeous game, and I'm on a regular old PS4.
Cromagnum
AG
LOL. You will get your fudge pushed in if you open a rift tear when your gear is subpar. I clicked one and this giant mace came out the other end and oneshot me before I could see what swung it.
SeattleAgJr
As I do not have a PS4, I listened to/watched a full playthrough.

Not bad, but the high scores are a bit overrated.

Game is beautful.
Music is incredible..
Gameplay seems OK. They extended it with weapon upgrades and whatnot, but in reality you are only going to use a few overall.
Monsters are too repetitive
Dwarves are too jokey.
The interaction with Atreus is good overall, but he in fights he is too untouchable and it breaks the illusion of the story/world when he does not get hurt.

And with the reveal at the end, you can defintiely see where they are going for the sequel(s).

It is more an 8/10.
bbattbq01
AG
Lol from watching a video.
Scotty Flamingo
Cromagnum said:

It looks good but this is not God of War. It's Last of Us with old man Kratos. I hope the combat picks up, because I'm up to the witch cave area and it's already feeling like a slog.

I hated combat at first, but once I started buying new skills, it really picked up for me. Now I'm wrecking *****

This is up there with Last of Us for me.
SeattleAgJr
bbattbq01 said:

Yes.

You can tell the gameplay from the video.

The game play is solid, but not incredible.

Hence 8/10.

Story is good.
Art direction is great.
Music is incredible (Bear McCreary).
Gameplay is solid, but not groundbreaking.

Easy to see it as an 8/10 and not higher.
Chase McGuire
I'd argue that watching a stream completely removes the stress and sense of accomplishment from combat and the joy of stumbling upon new things within the world. For instance, Bloodborne is completely different watching vs. playing.

But you're entitled to your opinion and games are meant to be enjoyed in many ways, so you do you.
bbattbq01
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I'd argue that watching a stream completely removes the stress and sense of accomplishment from combat and the joy of stubling upon new things within the world. For instance, Bloodborne is completely different watching vs. playing.

But you're entitled to your opinion and games are meant to be enjoyed in many ways, so you do you.

This.
nomad2007
AG
How does this run on a standard PS4?
Chase McGuire
No hiccups so far for me. Looks great. Runs smoothly.
SeattleAgJr
One day deal on PS4 Pro - Target:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11508339-playstation-4-pro-20-off-at-target-via-cartwheel-320?sdxt01=2018-04-22+08%3A09%3A16&sdxt06=Auto+DA+Fire2+to+Curated%3A%3A%3ATest%3A%3A%3Ada_newreg_curated_v2&sdxt07=148751&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=18&utm_content=1646344&utm_campaign=da_fire2_to_curated&p=114635371&src=da_newreg_curated_v2_32454956#post114635371
SeattleAgJr
Chase McGuire said:

I'd argue that watching a stream completely removes the stress and sense of accomplishment from combat and the joy of stumbling upon new things within the world. For instance, Bloodborne is completely different watching vs. playing.

That is true, but often only up to a point.

Bloodborne is a whole other type of game, with a lot more built in difficulty.

The fighting in the new GoW is nowhere near as complex, even with all of upgrades available to you as the character.

You can tell from watching gameplay to see what it will be like. It is not a reach to be able to make a judgment based on a full watch of the game.

You are acting like I took a **** on the game.

I stated that there is nothing new enough in the gameplay to warrant near perfect scores.

If it a very good game, but it is not a 9.5-10 type of game.

It does not bring that much new to gameplay to warrant that. But what it does it does very well.

renob forest
bbattbq01 said:

I've beaten it and agree with the 8/10 score. Nowhere near the perfect scores it has received. Still a very well made and fun game.
Chase McGuire
I'm not acting like you did anything. I said nothing about your score or what you thought about GoW. Some sites did give it an 8/10, so I'm sure that's a reasonable score. I don't know. I'm only 10 hours in.

Just stating my opinion that you can't have a fully formed opinion on a game without actually playing it. As I said, you do you.
rgag12
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

How does this game compare to Horizon Zero Dawn?

This game is more like The Last of Us than Horizon.

And for the record I like God of War way more than Horizon. The story is way better and I actually am interested in the characters.
jtstanley4621
AG
Let's just say I cleared out my weekend to play this....

Just wanted to drop in and say that for me this is right up there with the Witcher as the best single player game I've played on the PS4. The story was great, and the fact that the game was all in one shot blew my mind with the graphics level/what they were able to do.
04texag
AG
I got to say, this game is tops.

Bought it yesterday and been playing a fair bit. The combat is fun, the story is engaging and I love the world/norse mythology.
Bones08
AG
I uhhh, beat the late last night. Send help.

But yea, that was really, REALLY enjoyable. I need to let the experience settle a bit more, but I think it will be at the top of my list of best PS4 games. Best combat I've ever experienced, the game world was incredible and the story was delivered really well.

And there still seems to be quite a bit to do and mess around with.

Amazing.
nomad2007
AG
Chase McGuire said:

No hiccups so far for me. Looks great. Runs smoothly.
Great.

Horizon Zero Dawn looked great but had significant framerate drops on the standard ps4, so i was a bit hesitant, but everyone seems to be saying GoW runs much better.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Spent some good time on it this weekend and it's one of my favorite games I've played
jtstanley4621
AG
Obviously I won't spoil anything, but I'm fascinated to see where they take the rest of the games in this series now. I think the Norse mythology universe is a great and fresh way to breathe life back into the series. I really liked reading and hearing about the lore.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"I don't have the actual console that this game is exclusive to, but I feel confident that this game is nothing more than an 8/10."

Never change, Texags.
Bones08
AG
I watched The Godfather on mute. It was pretty good, but I don't get what all the fuss is about.
Propane & Accessories
AG
I know it probably has been answerd but, do you have to play the previous gods of war to understand the story or is it independent from the others?
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
BowSowy
AG
I'm about 12 hours in and have never played another GoW game. I can tell there are small references to things from past games but I haven't come across any story beats that require past knowledge.
Chase McGuire
I've played all the others and the game hasn't referenced them much so far. As long as you know Kratos has a bloody past that he'd rather forget, you're good.
Propane & Accessories
AG
cool thanks I may get the game or rent it
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
bbattbq01
AG
UncleJew15 said:

I know it probably has been answerd but, do you have to play the previous gods of war to understand the story or is it independent from the others?

I played GOW 1-3, none of the offshoot games or Ascention. I haven't noticed anything I've really gained by having past history other than I have a little more context on who Kratos is and why he's so screwed up and is distrustful towards gods.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.