WAP vs Orbi (or the like?)

5,833 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jethro95
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not familiar with WAPs, as I have always just had a wireless router hooked up to a modem. We are building a new bigger house and the WAP has been thrown around. I have also heard of something like an Orbi, which I guess just boost your wifi signal across your whole house?

Are they pretty much the same thing? Which is better? I wqould assume the Orbi just boosts 1 wifi signal. Does the WAP actually have multiple signals that yoru devices move in and out of depending on which one you are closer to?

How do you wire for a WAP? We have a small media closet that I guess would house the modem/wireless router. So as far as prewire goes, I guess I would need a Cat6 from internet source to media closet, then Cat6s from media closet to WAP locations? What else do I need at the WAP location?

What about a Orbi type system. Just run Cat6 to the Orbi locations. I guess I need power at the orbi locations as well?

TIA!

Spane Bohem

Secret Ag
I just went through a similar thing. Moved into a bigger house and needed better coverage. The thing to pay attention to is how much coverage you really need and what the backbone is. Some of the orbi bundles have huge coverage that isn't really needed.

I'm not sure whether Orbi allows a wired backbone or not. I know most of those systems are set up to use a second set of 5 GHz antennaes/channels as a wireless backbone which if you don't have cables run is all you can do. You have to be careful because not all of them have a dedicated set of antennas for the backbone. Depends on the model. And just because you can plug and Ethernet cable into it doesn't mean it will allow it to use a wired backbone. I e seen some that just allow that so if you have it next to say a computer, you can hook up to it. This is what I found when looking at it. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-the-Orbi-have-ethernet-backhaul/td-p/1367196

In my case, the house we bought was wired with cat 5e and so I upgraded my main router and bought an extender that could act as a wap with a wired backbone and it has worked out well. I personally prefer the wired backbone to keep as much out of the air as possible so I would suggest trying to go that route. If orbi supports a wired backbone then you can use them like waps.

In my case I went for the netgear nighthawk x4s ac2600 router and netgear nighthawk x4 ac 2200 WiFi range extender. House is 2 stories, 2900 sqft with main router in a first floor corner and the extended on the other side of the house upstairs. I have them set to the same ssids and haven't had any issues.

I can say having Ethernet cable run through the house is awesome. Keeps most of my stuff like TVs and game systems off the WiFi when all of us stream. If you are building the house and can run cat 6 and make some waps that are wired, it's what I would do.
jpb1999
AG
Great info, thanks!

Question on the nighthawks, do they just need a cat6, or do the need power as well?

If they need power, I need to run another electrical...

Spane Bohem

agdoc2001
AG
Look at Ubiquiti products
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Secret Ag
For the one extended I chose, it plugs into a socket similar to all the smaller ranger extendeders but that's because it can also work as a WiFi extendeder not using the Ethernet as the backhaul.

Since we were moving into an already built house I was a little limited in my choices but If you are designing from the ground up and could choose to do a power over Ethernet(PoE) solution for the waps which is how several waps work as well. I also chose the extender I did for a few other reasons too.

If you did a PoE solution, it wouldn't require you to have to have sockets by each accesspoint. Just depends on what sort of access points you want to use, you have more options. If you want to drop your Ethernet cables away from plugs, not use up a plug, or have the waps on the ceiling then PoE can work, but you will have to look at the PoE waps and see where their ideal location is.

Sincce I knew what I wanted, I did not do any in-depth research into PoEs disadvantages. I do believe that whatever they plug-in into on the other end like a switch near your main router or the main router itself has to support PoE as well. I don't think the main router I chose supports that but I have too many Ethernet cables so I use a switch and then connect that to the main router.

jpb1999
AG
So on the POE option, All I would need is to add a POE switch or something on the Cat6 going to the POE device/WAP, right? Seems like this could easily be added later if needed? Can someone point me to a decent option for that?

Do most WAPs install on the ceiling? So I would need a Cat6 terminal on the ceiling in like a closet or something right?

Spane Bohem

Secret Ag
jpb1999 said:

So on the POE option, All I would need is to add a POE switch or something on the Cat6 going to the POE device/WAP, right? Seems like this could easily be added later if needed? Can someone point me to a decent option for that?

Yea. Just to be clear, you would need the PoE switch at the termination of all you cat 6 cables in your "network" closet where they will be plugged into you main router and not by the waps. Sounds like what you are saying but want to make sure. I use a little nicer home business switch from netgear(the blue ones) just because it is in a metal case and has a longer mean time to failure and I think a lifetime warranty. Any gigabit switch will work as long as it supports PoE. Something to look for is some newer stuff uses PoE+ which is more power. You don't want a wap that wants PoE+ and a switch that doesn't support it. Most are good at saying what they need/support so it should be clear.

Quote:

Do most WAPs install on the ceiling? So I would need a Cat6 terminal on the ceiling in like a closet or something right?

Many can be and come with a ceiling mount. And it seems like that is what people do but I know not many people have them in their home just because they weren't wired for it so you typically see it more in businesses which is why I don't know a ton about those options. That's why the WiFi meshes are so popular in homes now because they aren't wired.

When you look into placement, you need to look at the antennae's will point, even if internally. If you mount on the ceiling on a downstairs closet, you may not get as good of signal upstairs. It may be possible to mount it on the wall. I just don't know enough about the PoE waps out there but in general, yes, you can run a cat6 to a closet and stick the wap in there.
jpb1999
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Look at Ubiquiti products

Ok, just did, looks cool. So I have been reading reviews and the only thing that concerns me is that it seems a little complicated and might need more devices like a "gateway key", or cloud key, dedicated server or computer that runs 24-7, etc... not sure if those things are necessary or just add one to make it work better?

Does the AC Pro come with everything you need or do you need more parts?

So I would just need 1 of these that plugs into a Cat6? Sounds like it comes with a POE injector with the wall mount.. is that only used if no POE on your main router? Would the injector option only work if you had a power outlet near your Cat6 port?

Thanks!

Spane Bohem

Secret Ag
Here is a decent picture of how PoE can be used.
That is to say that yes, I think using a PoE injector requires an external power source from the looks of it.

I don't know a lot about the unbiquiti stuff but from their diagram it requires more that what you technically need, but that may just be how that product works. Without researching I can't say.

Again with limited PoE wap experience, from a network perspective, you need is something to connect your house to the internet(wan) I.e your modem. Something to hand out ips(dhcp), typically your main router today and then either that has a enough Ethernet lan ports for all your cat 6 or you use a dedicated switch for that. That what they have in there sample network diagram plus whatever else they think they "need" but isn't required from a purely technical network perspective in my opinion. Page 4. https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/UniFi/UniFi_AP-AC-Pro_QSG.pdf
Jethro95
AG
You would only need the Cloudkey if you want to run a hotspot or collect user data and have remote access to it. Otherwise, you can just run the controller software on your computer to set everything up and then you are done unless you need to make changes.
Jethro95
AG
Also, depending on how many APs you are going to use look at the in-wall one. It's really slick if you can pre-wire for it. I have one by my back door that covers that corner of the house, the back porch, garage and driveway.
jpb1999
AG
Jethro95 said:

Also, depending on how many APs you are going to use look at the in-wall one. It's really slick if you can pre-wire for it. I have one by my back door that covers that corner of the house, the back porch, garage and driveway.

What prewire is needed on the in wall one?

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
An Ethernet cable with a male rj45 connector and a one gang low voltage wall box.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks! So just a Cat6. So should I run it to the ceiling or the wall up high?

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
For the dome kind ceiling. For in Wall either switch or wall socket height is what I have seen. Mine is right by a row of light switches.
ktownag08
AG
Picked up Orbi (RBK50) for $199 today at Walmart. Thing is usually $369 or so. Installed super easy and now have coverage across the entire house. So far so good!
AggieBarstool
Orbi is unique in that it has its own radio that allows the base units to communicate. The other onboard radio are used for connectivity to the endpoints (computers & smart devices on the network). More traditional WAP setups use the same radio used by endpoints to connect with the other access points on the network. This makes your connection to each endpoint, theoretically, stronger.

Also, don't quote me on this, but each "base" also has built-in wired ports. That's unheard of!
jpb1999
AG
So if you had a choice, which one is better, Orbi or Ubiquiti?

If House is existing and the correct wires are not in place, seems Orbi is the easy choice.

Spane Bohem

AggieBarstool
jpb1999 said:

If House is existing and the correct wires are not in place, seems Orbi is the easy choice.
I would probably go with Orbi as they seem to be more geared toward consumer Wifi consumption.
nwspmp
jpb1999 said:

If there is no existing wiring, the Orbi type of system would be easier to install (personally, I have a three-unit Linksys Velop system).

If wiring is available, I *really* like the Ubiquiti gear and have run it at a number of businesses I've done IT installation and consulting for.

All that is truly *needed* for a UniFi connection is a UniFi device, the included PoE injector and an external router (as the UniFi is a wireless access point only; no routing is built in). You'd need to use a computer to setup the controller initially, but after that, the controller doesn't need to run at all times. Any changes would require it's use however. The benefit is in very large coverage areas, where it becomes VERY easy to centrally manage and add in extra APs for coverage.

If you do like Ubiquiti, they have their own distributed wifi geared at home users called Amplifi, but I haven't personally used it, so I couldn't speak to how it works.

https://www.amplifi.com/
jpb1999
AG
WAP:
Ubiquiti AP Pro

POE Switch:
Ubiquiti POE Switch

So just remember I know nothing about WAPs and trying to figure this all out. I am looking at a Ubiquiti system for largish sized house where some small business dealing will be occurring. I am trying to figure out what I need to make it all work.

It is located in a rural location, so will be using something like Western Broadband or something coming from using cell towers (4G Antenna Shop). Modem info

So what else is needed to make all of this work? I would either install 1 or 2 AP Pros on the ceiling. I would assume the POE switch linked above would be hooked up to the 4G Antenna Shop modem, then the POE ports would connect to the AP Pros with Cat6 cable.

I noticed on the AP Pros, there is a 2nd port used to "bridge". What is bridging? Is it a POE bridge? Is this used to just hook up devices directly?

Edit: I forgot 1 thing, we will have 5 or 6 Arlo Wireless Cameras set up on the system as well.

TIA!

Spane Bohem

Thriller
AG
Our Orbi has been dropping connection daily. With the holidays here, I finally have time to dig into it, but it's been a disappointment so far.
jpb1999
AG
Wanted to reply to your post so you see it. Thanks for the insight on Ubiquiti stuff!

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
Don't forget a router
jpb1999
AG
Doesn't the POE Switch I linked above act as the router? I would just plug in the switch to the modem, then rout your Ethernet cables to your WAPs or devices, correct?

Ubiquiti also has a gateway that you can put between the modem and the switch, but I don't think it's necessrry, it just adds some features.

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
jpb1999 said:

Doesn't the POE Switch I linked above act as the router? I would just plug in the switch to the modem, then rout your Ethernet cables to your WAPs or devices, correct?

Ubiquiti also has a gateway that you can put between the modem and the switch, but I don't think it's necessrry, it just adds some features.
It looks like the modem you linked above has routing features. DHCP, Firewall, etc. I assumed it was a modem only without looking further. You should be okay.
jpb1999
AG
Ok, but doesn't the Ubiquiti poe switch8 (US-8-60W) also a router or act like a router? Your modem plugs into it, then your cat5/6 Ethernet cables rout to your devices?

If it doesn't do the same thing a router does i am missing something and would like it better explained to me.

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
jpb1999 said:

Ok, but doesn't the Ubiquiti poe switch8 (US-8-60W) also a router or act like a router? Your modem plugs into it, then your cat5/6 Ethernet cables rout to your devices?

If it doesn't do the same thing a router does i am missing something and would like it better explained to me.

No, the switch is just a switch, it does not do routing. Most consumer wireless routers are the combination of a router, a switch and a wireless access point. The poe switch above, same one I have, has the switch part but not the others.

The Difference Between a Router, Switch and Hub
jpb1999
AG
Thanks for the info!

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

So they are calling this a gateway router. Would this work as the router between the modem and the switch? Would this be a better option than using the router that is a part of the modem linked above?

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
Yes. The USG is also set up with the controller software that you need for the access points. I would expect that it has a lot more customization options than the modem linked above. I ended up with the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X which is cheaper but a little more rough around the edges.

Here is a YouTube video where they compare the USG to the Edgerouter Lite.

USG vs. Edgerouter
jtmoney03
AG
Just out of curiosity, what did you end up doing?

The link above that Jethro posted, is a great explanation of the USG vs the EdgeRouter. Based on this thread, I think you would be best suited to go with the USG as I think it is more user friendly. (See this video for setting up the USG, Switch and APs)

Chris from the videos, single-handedly talked me into going with a Ubiquiti solution for the house I just built...lol. Actually picked up all the gear today. I'm pre-wired in the important rooms...study, living, media, game and master, with everything terminating to the master closet. Everything else will be on the WiFi. I will have to run cables to the APs, but where I've chosen to put them on the 1st and 2nd floors, should be easy to get to from the attic.

They only thing I haven't figured out yet, is the exterior/interior cameras. I want them to run to an NVR, but don't want it to be part of the Unifi system because they are expensive and there are much better cameras out there that I am looking at. I still want to control it similarly on my network, but I haven't found great videos about it yet. Still a novice with home networking, but hoping to get it all squared away within a few days/weeks of being in the house.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks for posting. I am not there yet... probably buying setting all this up in Aprilish. But I plan to buy exactly what's in the video you posted above. 2 AC-Pros, usg, us-8-150w, and acould key. I have been debating back and forth between the 8-60w and the 8-150w.... I think the 60w is all I need for now, although All that leaves me is one poe port open. I also like the fiber ports on the 150w, but not sure what I would connect to them at this point.

Exited to get this all done soon. I guess I need a patch panel also, any recs for a good cheap one?

I have watching videos on how to terminate/ punch down Cat6 cables and bought all the tools and rj45 keystones and wall plates, etc. I might practice on a few soon to see if I can do it correctly.

Let me know how the setup goes...

Spane Bohem

ktownag08
AG
Update from my previous post...

Orbi is going back. Drops signal all the time and frankly tired of troubleshooting to get it to work right. My cheapo router that this replaced never dropped signal once so this one absolutely shouldn't multiple times per hour.

Going to give the Velop a try instead.
tamusc
AG
ktownag08 said:

Update from my previous post...

Orbi is going back. Drops signal all the time and frankly tired of troubleshooting to get it to work right. My cheapo router that this replaced never dropped signal once so this one absolutely shouldn't multiple times per hour.

Going to give the Velop a try instead.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Velop setup so far. Great coverage, solid speeds and zero problems so far.

The only quirk I ran into is that I have a wired Ethernet connection between the satellites, but you have to set the additional nodes (not the one plugged into the modem) wirelessly first. No real issue though, just set them up, then plugged them in and then I was good to go.
jpb1999
AG
Some questions:

1. What does the Console port do on the Ubiquiti USG? Would you use this port to connect a computer to run the software from if you did not have a cloud key?

If you have a cloud key hooked up to the POE switch, how would you hook up the computer to configure everything? Just to one of the non-POE ports on the US-8-150W switch?

2. Lets say I have a modem hooked up to the USG, then US-8-60W switch (with 4 non POE ports and 4 POE ports), then have a cloud key and 3 WAPs, so all POE ports are full. If I wanted to expand this system (by adding more POE ports) with another US-8-60W or 150W switch, how would I connect the 2nd switch to the system? Would I use the 2nd LAN port (LAN2) on the USG, so then I would have 2 different switches directly connected to the USG, or does the 2 switches need to be connected to one another?

TIA!

Spane Bohem

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.