WAP vs Orbi (or the like?)

5,832 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jethro95
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 on the ubiquiti setup. I put an AC-pro in at our church. Didn't use a cloud key. Used existing router and a poe switch with the right power for the AC-pro. Much cheaper and has been flawless.
Jethro95
AG
I don't have a USG so I can't answer the console port question. With regard to additional switches, you could connect them either to the USG or downstream of each other in series. Also, I would point out that you can plug non-POE devices into POE ports. The protocol is smart enough to only send power when it is requested.
99TxAggie
AG
You really don't need a cloud key. A cloud key comes in handy if you want to remotely manage a unifi system. The console port is for using a command line interface to program it. You can do anything you need for a home setup with the gui.
tamusc
AG
Have they added IPv6 controls to the GUI or does that still require using the command line?
jpb1999
AG
Great info, thanks!

So I have a wish list: USG, US-8-150W, Cloud key, 2 or 3 AC Pros.

But now starting to think through what I need initially to just get good wifi in the house. So I will have a 4G LTE wireless modem, and I think there is only 1 port leaving the modem so I will need some sort of router or POE switch? Could I go with this set up: Modem to US-8-150W or 60W, then to the 2 WAPs (AC-Pros)? Or would I need to go from the modem to a router first?

Spane Bohem

jtmoney03
AG
jpb1999 said:

Great info, thanks!

So I have a wish list: USG, US-8-150W, Cloud key, 2 or 3 AC Pros.

But now starting to think through what I need initially to just get good wifi in the house. So I will have a 4G LTE wireless modem, and I think there is only 1 port leaving the modem so I will need some sort of router or POE switch? Could I go with this set up: Modem to US-8-150W or 60W, then to the 2 WAPs (AC-Pros)? Or would I need to go from the modem to a router first?

The switch won't do any routing, so you have to go to a router from the modem.

Modem -> Router (USG) -> US-8-150 or 60W -> WAPs, Cloud Key (if you get one), anything else that needs POE, then everything else.
jpb1999
AG
Thanks!

I checked with Ubiquiti and they said you can go from modem to Poe switch if the modem can act like (configured as) a router.

I then called the modem company and they said it could be configured as a router. There are some settings you can change that includes turning off WiFi signal so it just passes through, etc.

So, does that make sense... it sounds like I can live without a router initially for a while?

Spane Bohem

jtmoney03
AG
Yep, that'll work! Many modems that the ISPs give you at setup, are combo modem/routers, so you should be all set.
jpb1999
AG
Ok, about ready to install the AC-Pros on the ceiling and realized the instructions are for either a removable ceiling tile or a Sheetrock wall. I'm installing on a Sheetrock ceiling.

Wall instructions says to use Sheetrock anchors and screw into those. Ceiling tile method says to take tile off and screw into metal mounting bracket on top side of tile.

In my case I only have access to the top side of 1 of my access points. So in one case I could have someone in attic hold the metal plate in place while I screw into it.

Other case I can't do that. Should I use the Sheetrock anchors? I wasn't sure if anchors were meant for the ceiling as they are made to hold weight at 90 degrees from wall angle, not completely vertical/pulling downward from ceiling. I could also use sheet rock screws to hold plastic bracket into place? The AP is not very heavy...

Anyway, any thoughts? What did others do?

TIA

Spane Bohem

Jethro95
AG
Jethro95
AG
Sheetrock anchors worked just fine for me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.