EA gets most down votes in all of Reddit History

8,773 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by techno-ag
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not heartbroken if EA ever crumbles considering what they did to Warhammer Online and Star Wars the Old Republic MMOs. Could have easily bested WoW, but EA has to **** the bed as always.
Agmaniacmike12
I'm not necessarily supportive of these practices, but this is what happens when gaming communities ***** about not having all of the DLC for free. Ultimately though, if there are severe slopes to climb for players that don't buy microtransactions to be competitive, the game will die slowly before the DLCs are relevant.

This is a Star Wars game in the middle of a time when we have a new trilogy and more to follow. It will be successful from a monetary standpoint because when kids get an Xbox One/PS4 this holiday season, this familiar face will be front and center for the moms and dads to see.

wangus12
AG
Not a bad thought, but I doubt it will make a difference

titanmaster_race
wangus12 said:

Not a bad thought, but I doubt it will make a difference

Dawnguard
AG
jamaggie06 said:

Non-gamer. Havent played anything since Halo back in college. I get that it is misleading, but does EA owe you anything? Instead of DLC (?) and paying for upgrades, would gamers haven been any less pissed if EA said "we have solid demand for this game. Let's price it at $200"? I see this the same way. I guess the gripe would be that they suckered you in at one price but its really gonna be more for what you want (that never happens anywhere else...). I agree it doesnt make it a sound business model but if EA sucks so bad, why is there such high demand for this game? It seems like Yogi-ism "EA sucks so bad, millions of people pre-ordered their latest game..."
I actually think a large portion of the community would be ok with this method. (caveat being that it's not a cash grab for an absolute piece of trash that's only value is that it is a licensed property - such as Star Wars)

Where you start seeing the rub is when you look at the N64. N64 games cost about $70, and a PlayStation game was around $50. This is one large reason that Sony won that generation. Old school games, adjusted for inflation, cost around $100 - with much lower development costs (and smaller market as well). As a side tangent - a quarter in 1980 is worth about 75 cents today, so arcade games still cost about the same.

Games have "ultimate collector's edition" and what not that end up costing around that $200 level. This has been a very positive method to milk that money out of a fanbase - without alienating those who can only afford the used copy. EA has been on the warpath for the past decade to cut the profits out of used games, and actions like this system of microtransactions are becoming the straw that breaks the camel's back and causing that nerd rage to come bubbling to the top.

MBAR
AG
renob forest said:

3rdGen2015 said:

renob forest said:

Quote:

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing f***ing Darth Vader?!?!?
Another entitled dumbass that can't seem to research anything before preordering/buying a video game. "I paid lots of money and not everything i think i deserve is in it!". What a mindset.
Loot boxes that affect competitive balance are not. Putting characters behind what is essentially a paywall for the majority of players is not ok.
Says who? You don't have to buy the game if you feel it is incomplete.
No ****, but you can still complain about it so that companies know. This is the stupidest line to drop when people are complaining about a game. Yes, everyone can vote with their wallet but that doesn't mean you can't also have a dialogue about what is wrong with the game.
Karrde
AG
From what I understand, the rage wasn't solely about unlocking characters. Having characters unlock as you play is fine. Even Smash Bros 64 had characters you had to unlock by doING things ingame.

The problem was that they locked the main characters to the extent that it would take someone 40 hours of playing to unlock one of them without paying. 30-50 hours is often the entirety of a single player game. Basically you had the choice to give up your life to unlock, or pay to unlock.

It would be like seeing ads for Mario and Link in Smash Bros, only to find out that you have to perform the equivalent of a full time job for a month to actually get the chance to play them, unless you hand over your credit card again.
The Fife
I made sure to add my downvote, EA sucks!
Thunder18
AG
EA could turn this around a get a metric ton of upvotes by posting one simple thing....

WE'RE BRINGING NCAA FOOTBALL BACK!

pipe dream, I know...but damn would that be awesome
titanmaster_race
Umm Sony definitely didn't beat the N64.....
chipotle
I play War Robots (game folks spend thousands on) and on the facebook community somebody posted this recently:

agfan2013
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Umm Sony definitely didn't beat the N64.....

You're right....

PlayStation units sold: 102 million
N64 units solds: 32 million

Sony kicked its a**.
benMath08
AG
I think the real problem is that EA has an exclusive Star Wars license. We could deal with a mediocre shooter full of micro transactions and time-gated content, yet still full priced, IF there was a competing product being released by somebody.

Those who wish 2k still made NFL games should be able to relate.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
3rdGen2015
AG
For those who care/want to follow it, the developer AMA will be on r/StarWarsBattlefront in 90 minutes (11:30 central)
Charlie Delta
Stuff like this is why I haven't bought an EA game in a long time. This new trend of microtransactions is ruining gaming.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

For those who care/want to follow it, the developer AMA will be on r/StarWarsBattlefront in 90 minutes (11:30 central)
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7d4ec6/ea_has_also_informed_us_that_if_the_ama_becomes/

Quote:

"EA has also informed us that if the AMA becomes hostile, their team will pull back and stop the AMA".
Wildmen03
AG
Quote:

Unlocking Everything in Battlefront II Requires 4,528 hours or $2100

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unlocking-everything-in-battlefront-ii-requires-4-528-hours-or-2100.6190/
TexasAggie_02
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Quote:

Unlocking Everything in Battlefront II Requires 4,528 hours or $2100

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unlocking-everything-in-battlefront-ii-requires-4-528-hours-or-2100.6190/
but...but..gamers...basements...millennials...whining....not justified....something
3rdGen2015
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7d4qft/star_wars_battlefront_ii_dice_developer_ama/
WES2006AG
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

3rdGen2015 said:

Here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7d4qft/star_wars_battlefront_ii_dice_developer_ama/
Can't keep up at work. Let us know if the morons at EA make any major announcements.
TexasAggie_02
AG
lol, downvotes have been disabled on the AMA
TexasAggie_02
AG
wheelskjm
AG
Tomdoss92
AG
Thunder18 said:

EA could turn this around a get a metric ton of upvotes by posting one simple thing....

WE'RE BRINGING NCAA FOOTBALL BACK!*

*Most teams are included in the base game. Premium content (SEC, Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC) is available via in game achievements or for a small fee.
Thunder18
AG
Well played
Aggie_3
Tomdoss92 said:

Thunder18 said:

WE'RE BRINGING NCAA FOOTBALL BACK!*

*Most teams are included in the base game. Premium content (SEC, Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC) is available via in game achievements or for a small fee.
AgsWin2011
AG
I miss the good ol days when you paid for the game you owned everything included in that game. And if you couldn't unlock something, there was a cheat code.
Forum Troll
AG
Anyone actually play the game this week? Thoughts on multiplayer? Is the progression system as bad as they say it is? I had some concerns during beta but once I unlocked some basic star cards I seemed to settle in and had a good time.
bluefire579
AG
MBAR said:

renob forest said:

3rdGen2015 said:

renob forest said:

Quote:

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing f***ing Darth Vader?!?!?
Another entitled dumbass that can't seem to research anything before preordering/buying a video game. "I paid lots of money and not everything i think i deserve is in it!". What a mindset.
Loot boxes that affect competitive balance are not. Putting characters behind what is essentially a paywall for the majority of players is not ok.
No ****, but you can still complain about it so that companies know. This is the stupidest line to drop when people are complaining about a game. Yes, everyone can vote with their wallet but that doesn't mean you can't also have a dialogue about what is wrong with the game.
You have to do both, and that's been the problem. People have complained very loudly about presales and DLC and microtransactions for years, but at the end of the day, no matter how much complaining there is, they still buy it, and that is why these practices continue. You have to both tell them you're upset and show them for there to be any change. Maybe that will happen here, because I think using this as a continued practice may alienate players, but I don't trust consumers as a whole to be tuned in enough to boycott and have a big enough effect.
jr15aggie
AG
Heismenberg said:

I miss the good ol days when you paid for the game you owned everything included in that game. And if you couldn't unlock something, there was a cheat code.
95% of those games sucked... you just didn't know any better!
renob forest
MBAR said:

renob forest said:

3rdGen2015 said:

renob forest said:

Quote:

I never said you can't complain about your vidya.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Forum Troll said:

Anyone actually play the game this week? Thoughts on multiplayer? Is the progression system as bad as they say it is? I had some concerns during beta but once I unlocked some basic star cards I seemed to settle in and had a good time.
I have and me and my brother are both enjoying it. We mainly play the "Galactic Assault (I think?)" game mode and not the space battle ones. The "P2W" and star card stuff doesn't have that big of an effect in that specific game mode and it's more about individual skill and strategy. The cards do have a large effect in the space battle mode and I imagine it may not be as fun if you're on a team that's getting wrecked by some dude with a decked out fighter or interceptor.

Ignoring the issues with the progression and star cards, everything else is an A+ in my opinion. The game looks flat out amazing and the music/sound effects are great. The classes all seem viable but it seems most people play the "heavy" class. For the most part the maps are pretty well balanced but there are some specific objectives for certain maps where it's more difficult for one side but I suppose that's to be expected.

It's really unfortunate that EA managed to screw this up, I think if they just ditched the P2Progress system and revamped the credit distribution at the end of the match then they could have a huge hit. The fact that your personal score only accounts for 20% of your credits earned is ridiculous, it basically encourages AFK's since they'll get the same amount of credits. (Note: They said in their AMA today that this will be something they work on and a "quicker" fix, but who knows what that means).

Edit: To try to answer your question about progression, I'm not sure yet since I haven't played enough but I do think that something has to be done to make it easier. Duplicates give credits instead of extra crafting material so that's really stupid and should be fixed, that'll allow you actually craft new stuff instead of just getting a small amount of credit to use for a loot box. I think if you've targeted a specific class and card set you want to use it's not too bad since you can focus on just those cards. But if you want to play multiple classes or unlock all the hero stuff, yeah that's going to take a long time, an unreasonable amount of time in my opinion.

The biggest issue is the jump from rare (blue) to epic (purple) where it jumps from 100/200 crafting mats to 480 or something like that. In the AMA today they said they were going to work on a new way to acquire cards that's based on just playing and not opening crates but who knows what that'll look like.
Cromagnum
AG
Quote:

I sense a disturbance in their sales figures
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.