EA gets most down votes in all of Reddit History

8,597 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by techno-ag
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this Q+A funny.

Question: "My job keeps me incredibly busy, and, often times, I just want to come home and relax against AI. I've noticed that the amount of credits is capped per day in arcade mode to 500. With crate's current cost, I would have to max the system out for eight days in a row to afford just one crate. Do you have any plans to change up the arcade values so more casual players like me could afford more than 2 or 3 loot crates a month?"

Answer: "As we want to let players earn Credits offline via a more relaxed game mode, we needed to also find a way to make sure it wouldn't be exploited in a way that would impact Multiplayer. Because of that we made the decision to limit the number of Credits earned to stop potential abuse. We will be looking at data continually and make adjustments to make things as balanced as possible."

So playing the game too much = exploiting
Paying for advantages =/= exploiting
titanmaster_race
Wow. Just wow.
YouBet
AG
Is this game worth playing in single player campaign mode? I don't have the patience learning curve for multiplayer.
tamusc
AG
And EA has now pulled all cash micro transactions from the game just prior to launch and no word on when they might return.

Big win for consumers.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/16/16668218/star-wars-battlefront-2-microtransactions-removed
Forum Troll
AG
YouBet said:

Is this game worth playing in single player campaign mode? I don't have the patience learning curve for multiplayer.

From what I've read the campaign isn't bad but it's probably not worth 60 dollars considering how short it's supposed to be, 4 to 6 hours.
3rdGen2015
AG
tamusc said:

And EA has now pulled all cash micro transactions from the game just prior to launch and no word on when they might return.

Big win for consumers.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/16/16668218/star-wars-battlefront-2-microtransactions-removed

Wow. I wasn't expecting that at all. Good on them.
Charlie Delta
tamusc said:

Big win for consumers.

ABATTBQ11
AG
tamusc said:

Big win for consumers.

Wow... They must be hurting pretty bad.
WES2006AG
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

tamusc said:

Big win for consumers.

Wow. I wasn't expecting that at all. Good on them.
A pretty shocking development. I would have never guessed that EA would have been this conciliatory this quickly.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I dunno. The 676,000 down votes is pretty telling. That's about 30 times the previous most down voted post ever. I think with just this game they have several posts in the top 10. Players really, really, really, hate it. I'm sure that pre-orders have plummeted and demand has fallen to nil. Hell, the top post on reddit right now is promoting not buying the game because they'll just add microtransactions right back in after Christmas. They are probably facing a huge loss on this game unless they get people back.

They also may be facing pressure from Disney. I'm sure the last thing they want is Star Wars brand damage in the middle of a (IMO already terrible) reboot trilogy.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Lol, So what about the few hundred/thousand people that had early access and bought stuff? They'll have a leg up on the competition for awhile.
Azariah
AG
I don't think the cash transactions were live until everyone got it.
jtstanley4621
AG
If people hadn't razed hell about it, they absolutely would have kept every single bit of that stuff in the game. They still absolutely do not care about their customers, they just got caught this time and raked over the coals about it. Maybe they've learned a lesson here, but I doubt it. I will remain skeptical of EA
FightinTexasAg15
AG

Here is their statement. It clearly says "The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date"

Which, to me, just says "We're under a lot of scrutiny right now so we took out the in-game purchases but once everyone buys our game we'll put them back in"
titanmaster_race
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Here is their statement. It clearly says "The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date"

Which, to me, just says "We're under a lot of scrutiny right now so we took out the in-game purchases but once everyone buys our game we'll put them back in"

100% they're going to change some values, but it's absolutely coming back, just after people buy the game.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Hell, the top post on reddit right now is promoting not buying the game because they'll just add microtransactions right back in after Christmas.
This. Consumers haven't won ****. EA is hoping for people to be really, really naive.
YouBet
AG
That is not a genuine apology. It reads to me thusly, "Fine, we'll shut it off for now while you guys get through your temper tantrum and get back to you when you are cried out."
ABATTBQ11
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Hell, the top post on reddit right now is promoting not buying the game because they'll just add microtransactions right back in after Christmas.
This. Consumers haven't won ****. EA is hoping for people to be really, really naive.

I don't think they will be. EA stirred up a hornet's nest of players, and this is not calming them down. I don't think they fully realize how gaming communities have grown and become connected and organized and what that means for situations like this. They're looking at an open boycott of the game from core fans and casual players alike, even with this move. The idea that this is not a win yet and that EA needs to commit to details about their direction has already take hold, and unless loot crates become aesthetic instead of progress based, they're going to see lagging sales. Their shareholders are going to be pissed.

The lesson for gaming studios is that they'd better listen to customers and not try to nickel and dime them. If they put out bad games or try to sneak in a pay to win model to generate profits at the cost of gameplay and customer experience, they will likely have to answer for it now that their customers and communities are structured and can coalesce around ideas.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Pretty Solid Review:
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/11/17/unsure-about-star-wars-battlefront-2-read-our-review/

dcaggie04
AG
What I find funny is the same people complaining about loot boxes and micro transactions giving a play to win feel are the same people that have spent hundreds of dollars buying poptarts and redbulls to get those XP codes for D2 or spending money on Doritos and mountain dew to get those codes for COD games.

I guess it's ok to purchase play to win items outside of the game, but it's the worse thing in the world for the same type of things to be offered through the game.

Why I think people that whine about this stuff have IQ's lower than their shoe size.
TexasAggie_02
AG
pretty sure the destiny promotion is just cosmetic, and the xp buff. (which has nothing to do with play to win). you level up so fast in destiny anyways, and power level differences are turned off in crucible.

i have no idea about the COD promotion, as i haven't played since MW2.
ABATTBQ11
AG
dcaggie04 said:

What I find funny is the same people complaining about loot boxes and micro transactions giving a play to win feel are the same people that have spent hundreds of dollars buying poptarts and redbulls to get those XP codes for D2 or spending money on Doritos and mountain dew to get those codes for COD games.

I guess it's ok to purchase play to win items outside of the game, but it's the worse thing in the world for the same type of things to be offered through the game.

Why I think people that whine about this stuff have IQ's lower than their shoe size.

Well, let's be honest. Those people would be buying pop tarts and red bulls anyway...
diehard03
Quote:

The lesson for gaming studios is that they'd better listen to customers and not try to nickel and dime them. If they put out bad games or try to sneak in a pay to win model to generate profits at the cost of gameplay and customer experience, they will likely have to answer for it now that their customers and communities are structured and can coalesce around ideas.

I think you are right in that they need to distance themselves away from pay to win models...but microtransactions are a revenue stream that incentivizes companies to design games in the first place. So "gamers" need to pick their battles.

I am shocked what people will pay for cosmetic skins on games they hardly ever play. it's insane.
MW03
AG
I miss Borderlands.
3rdGen2015
AG
Apparently Disney told EA to stop the microtransactions because of the backlash.

Quote:

On the eve of the videogame's launch, Electronic Arts said it was turning off such microtransactions for now and that they would be restored at an unspecified later date.

The decision came after executives at Disney, which owns "Star Wars" and licensed the videogame rights to Electronic Arts, grew upset at how online outrage over the costs of gaining access to popular characters such as Luke Skywalker reflected on their marquee property, a person familiar with the matter said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/electronic-arts-pulls-microtransactions-from-star-wars-battlefront-ii-after-fan-backlash-1510936871
ABATTBQ11
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I think you are right in that they need to distance themselves away from pay to win models...but microtransactions are a revenue stream that incentivizes companies to design games in the first place. So "gamers" need to pick their battles.

I am shocked what people will pay for cosmetic skins on games they hardly ever play. it's insane.

Yeah, but there's two models: free to play with microtransactions that aid progression and fully priced games with aesthetic based microtransactions. Gamers will not tolerate combining the two and making them pay twice. Kiss not the microtransactions don't like per se, it's the tying them to progression they don't like.
TexasAggie_02
AG
92Ag95
AG
Karrde said:

From what I understand, the rage wasn't solely about unlocking characters. Having characters unlock as you play is fine. Even Smash Bros 64 had characters you had to unlock by doING things ingame.

The problem was that they locked the main characters to the extent that it would take someone 40 hours of playing to unlock one of them without paying. 30-50 hours is often the entirety of a single player game. Basically you had the choice to give up your life to unlock, or pay to unlock.

It would be like seeing ads for Mario and Link in Smash Bros, only to find out that you have to perform the equivalent of a full time job for a month to actually get the chance to play them, unless you hand over your credit card again.
Damn...I want whatever job you have.
Karrde
AG
Brainfart on my part. Good catch. Should have been week and not month.
Predmid
AG

I'll just leave this here.

Charlie Delta
Predmid said:

I'm more pissed that he called it a clip.
techno-ag
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Predmid said:

I'm more pissed that he called it a clip.
If he's talking about a WWII game then yeah they used clips.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.