*** Super Mario Odyssey ***

7,083 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chase McGuire
rangerdanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Judging from how complete the odyssey balloon is getting I think I'm getting close to the end.

How many moons are you guys typically finding before you move on to the next world? I've found myself staying in a world until I'm done with all of the story missions and then I move on. Usually have 2 to 3 times the number of moons that were required for going to the next world.

I've been shooting for 75% of the moons on each world. Also been trying to get all of the special coins before leaving. So far my favorite level is the sand zone. Just got to New Donk City.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The adventure/exploration aspect of it is exactly what was missing from Galaxy and 3D World, for me.

That, combined with the platforming, makes this a 10/10 for me. It's everything I love about Mario.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, some of these boss fights have been insanely fun. I really enjoyed the UFO thing at the end of Wooded Kingdom, and the first Bowser fight.
bbattbq01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, some of these boss fights have been insanely fun. I really enjoyed the UFO thing at the end of Wooded Kingdom, and the first Bowser fight.

Agree! Except the poison guy, I hate the poison guy!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The festival! (New Donk City)

No spoilers, but, amazing!!!
agfan2013
AG
Now in the snow kingdom after the metro one. I got 51/66 in the metro without any googling, I'm starting to figure out their little tricks.

Pro tip: anytime you go to a bonus area, whether it's a pipe, 2D pipe, giant beanstalk that grows into the clouds, whatever. There's always a second hidden moon. Always.
bbattbq01
AG
agfan2013 said:

Pro tip: anytime you go to a bonus area, whether it's a pipe, 2D pipe, giant beanstalk that grows into the clouds, whatever. There's always a second hidden moon. Always.

I kinda wish they'd throw an extra one in there every once in a while... makes it too easy to know you're only looking for 2!
3rdGen2015
AG
rangerdanger said:

bbattbq01 said:

Judging from how complete the odyssey balloon is getting I think I'm getting close to the end.

How many moons are you guys typically finding before you move on to the next world? I've found myself staying in a world until I'm done with all of the story missions and then I move on. Usually have 2 to 3 times the number of moons that were required for going to the next world.

I've been shooting for 75% of the moons on each world. Also been trying to get all of the special coins before leaving. So far my favorite level is the sand zone. Just got to New Donk City.

Were you able to find all the purple coins? I went back to it last night and spent like 2 hours trying to find the few I had left. I'm missing 4 coins and like 8 moons and I can't find them.
Quinn
AG
This game looks like a ton of fun and is making me want to buy my first video game system since a PS2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
bbattbq01
AG
Beat it on Tuesday. Looking forward to hunting all the missing moons now.

Ending sequence was very metroidy
Agmaniacmike12
Really excited for this one. Waiting until the major stores have their Black Fridays ads posted before pulling the trigger on a Switch. I doubt there will be any deals, but a $20 gift card or free joy-con or other accessory is worth the extra 2-3 week wait.
Pman17
AG
I beat the story Wednesday, there's a lot more to do. Tons of moons! More outfits to unlock. I've been going back to the semi kingdoms that were breezed through in the story and collecting all of the moons. Unlike Zelda, I think this will be the game that I beat completely.
bbattbq01
AG
Pman17 said:

I beat the story Wednesday, there's a lot more to do. Tons of moons! More outfits to unlock. I've been going back to the semi kingdoms that were breezed through in the story and collecting all of the moons. Unlike Zelda, I think this will be the game that I beat completely.

Same here. I'm still missing lots of shrines and seeds in zelda but don't really care too much. I really want to find these moons though!!!
3rdGen2015
AG
Pman17 said:

Same. I'm over 500 moons. The portion you open up at 500 is pretty difficult, it took me about two hours to beat.
agfan2013
AG
I beat the main storyline this weekend, finished it with about 350 or so moons. I was kind of surprised when reading IGN's review on the game where the reviewer said they finished with barely over 100, but I'm guessing they were in a rush to get the review out, otherwise there's no way they passed up that many moons. They must have just done the objectives in each kingdom and moved on.

Anyways, I've been playing the endgame some as well and now have a little over 500 moons. The mushroom Kingdom is definitely a nostalgia blast, I've had a lot of fun running around and collecting the "moons" in that one.

Favorite kingdom is the seaside one. Favorite outfits are the retro costume and the astronaut one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finished the story last night with 250 moons.

Holy ****, what an awesome ending. Especially when you capture Bowser and escape. Honestly didn't see that coming.

Mushroom Kingdom is a HUGE nostalgia bomb. I damn near got emotional. SM64 is one of my favorite games of all time, so that was a ton of fun. Hearing the music in Peach's Castle was awesome.
3rdGen2015
AG
After getting every moon and every purple coin in this game, I can say that this game is my favorite game of all time.
Dr. Nefario
I opened this thread thinking Mario was finally coming to the now-defunct console from Magnavox.
millertyme
AG
If anyone that has beat the game is looking to sell their copy, I am interested.
Predmid
AG
At close to 600 moons

This game is spectacular.
agfan2013
AG
615 on the dot for me. I'm not getting all the special coins in each area, just the moons, but usually lack less than 5 coins for any world. I usually end up having to google 5-10 moons per world but I definitely try to find them myself first.

A lot of the extra moon rock moons have the platforming sections in the chimneys that appear which I really like so I think odyssey might pass up 3D world now for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm at just under 400 moons, and having just as much fun in the "post-game" as I was before beating the main story.

Amazing game.
Predmid
AG
Minor spoilers?

mario 64 outfit is best outfit.

Followed closely by wedding dress mario.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was really happy to see that in the game. Not to mention the courtyard straight out of Super Mario 64.

And the music in Peach's castle, Yoshi on the roof, the jingle when you collect a star, all those small details that tie it to 64 and give a huge dose of nostalgia.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was really happy to see that in the game. Not to mention the courtyard straight out of Super Mario 64.

And the music in Peach's castle, Yoshi on the roof, the jingle when you collect a star, all those small details that tie it to 64 and give a huge dose of nostalgia.
I was so happy when I went in the castle. Especially when I looked up at the ceiling in the middle of it and got a hidden star. It was the first thing I tried when I went in there and just started laughing when it worked.
Predmid
AG
And not to mention the jumping into paintings to re-fight the bosses again
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same here!
Predmid
AG
I've been trying my best to not use the internets to find moons, but in wooded kingdom, I had exhausted everything I knew to do to find the last 7 moons or so. Finally broke down and bought hints from toad and I had no idea there was a deep woods and instantly went "holy crap. how many other secret places have I not discovered"
3rdGen2015
AG
Predmid said:

And not to mention the jumping into paintings to re-fight the bosses again
And the sounds for that were AMAZING
bbattbq01
AG
LOL one of my boys was playing and was in that section and needed my help getting out. I had no idea where he was. I missed it on my playthrough and haven't been back to that world yet in the postgame!
boy09
AG
Been a while since I've played through any video game. I think the last one was GTA 5. Picked up a Switch and SMO last week. Haven't made it very far yet, I've only been playing about an hour per night, but it's been a blast so far. I only got to Wooded Kingdom last night, I realized all I had been doing was screwing around and exploring in Sand Kingdom. I figured I better move on and make my way through the game, then I can go back and explore later, or else I'll never finish it.

I was being stubborn and didn't want to use the motion controls. I finally caved last night, it's so much better playing with the motion controls..
Predmid
AG
Up to 840 or so.

F some of these moons.
boy09
AG
Finished the story today with ~200 moons. Still got a lot of work to do.

This is the most fun I've had with a video game in a long time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.