4K TV's - What to look for?

6,013 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My new Sony 4K (55X900E which is this years model) has an amazing picture, but even its smart features suck bad compared to the Xbox. Only reason I even tried to use it is because I could stream 4K content though it. Netflix will completely lose sound sometimes and requires a complete reboot to fix. It's also slow to navigate.

This time next week I'll be using the Xbox One X for all my 4K stuff. In the meantime I'm just using my other Xbox to stream as usual.

I just tell my TV "look, just stand there and look pretty will ya"... And let me tell you it does a fantastic job of that!
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I personally wouldn't ever use built in smart features, even if it's Roku or Android, because they're typically slower than the Stick, and especially the box.
Is this true?
92Ag95
AG
tamusc said:

No problem!

Be aware that the Best Buy folks are likely not aware that the TCL 55P605 is a great TV as they will probably tell you it's cheap junk like many of the TCL TVs before it as the BB guys did when I went to look at the P605 in person at my local BB myself. They aren't wrong about the old TCL stuff, but the P605/P607 are something entirely new from TCL and appears to be a strong move to compete with Vizio in the high value category.
Yep...had this very thing happen today. They had the TCL high up on the wall out of the way under bad fluorescent lighting running the standard BestBuy Demo reel on it while the Sony's and the Samsungs were down on the floor running finely tuned manufacturer demo reels like cheese on a mouse trap. When I asked the Best Buy guy about the TCL (playing dumb) he tried to convince me it was junk.
92Ag95
AG
jr15aggie said:

My new Sony 4K (55X900E which is this years model) has an amazing picture, but even its smart features suck bad compared to the Xbox. Only reason I even tried to use it is because I could stream 4K content though it. Netflix will completely lose sound sometimes and requires a complete reboot to fix. It's also slow to navigate.

This time next week I'll be using the Xbox One X for all my 4K stuff. In the meantime I'm just using my other Xbox to stream as usual.

I just tell my TV "look, just stand there and look pretty will ya"... And let me tell you it does a fantastic job of that!
This is apparently a common problem. Have you tried a sound bar?
jr15aggie
AG
I have a receiver and surround system.
The problem is the app stops producing sound. The software is just crap. None of the apps are all that great really.

Wish they would offer none smart versions for less.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Looking at the TCL 49" to put on my home office/studio wall. By studio, mostly audio production but I also do a little music for videos like for weddings. No gaming. No movies other than my own video. I will either be watching Fox News/etc. or viewing the video that I shot and cut up to see how it looks (i.e. not as a computer monitor).

Good choice or look somewhere else? Money is an object but I could spend a little more if needed.
k20dub
AG
Bump for Black Friday. Looking for a 4K tv for an Xbox one X but at least 60". Is Vizio the best bang for your buck here? The TCL "only" goes up to 55"
tamusc
AG
There are some absolutely crazy deals on the LG OLEDs. I've seen the 65" B7 listed for $2100.
tamusc
AG
k20dub said:

Bump for Black Friday. Looking for a 4K tv for an Xbox one X but at least 60". Is Vizio the best bang for your buck here? The TCL "only" goes up to 55"

Yeah, either Vizio P or M series or the Sony x900
wee_ag
AG
k20dub said:

Posted this in the Xbox X thread...

That Sony 55" everyone likes (XBR55X900E) will be on Black Friday sale from Best Buy for $999.

Link to ad
jr15aggie
AG
wee_ag said:

k20dub said:

Posted this in the Xbox X thread...

That Sony 55" everyone likes (XBR55X900E) will be on Black Friday sale from Best Buy for $999.

Link to ad

Yeah, the 65" inch is around $100 more than I paid for my 55" a few months ago. That's a really great price since you are looking for something above 60. I've gotta think the larger you get the more you really need a quality set. In terms of picture quality I can't recommend this one enough... Specifically the colors and brightness/contrast. Fantastic TV!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just picked up the tcl 55inch c series at Costco for $449 and the vizio m70- E3 for the living room for $1299

Great prices

Having a little issue calibrating the tcl, streaming via an Apple TV 4k and it's not as sharp as I would like it to be and the whites are way to bright. I've tried changing the settings and I think I've cooled down the brightness for a darker room
Any suggestions on how I should calibrate everything to optimize picture quality?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.