Horizon:. Zero Dawn

21,690 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fav13andac1)c
spieg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couple more screenshots I liked.

titanmaster_race
Just started it up. In the settings, the "HDR rendering" mode is unavailable, with the message "requires an HDR compatible display".

I'm playing on a 4K TV, but not with a PS4 pro. Can you not do any HDR rendering without a pro?
tamusc
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Just started it up. In the settings, the "HDR rendering" mode is unavailable, with the message "requires an HDR compatible display".

I'm playing on a 4K TV, but not with a PS4 pro. Can you not do any HDR rendering without a pro?

Pretty sure it's just the PS4 Pro that has HDR, but try this, just in case.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/sound---screen/ps4--how-to-get-hdr/

edit - looks like HDR (HDR10 only) was patched into all PS4 models with firmware version 4.00

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/7/12831080/ps4-hdr-firmware-system-update-version-4-0-0-release-date
titanmaster_race
So is this a bug? Or does HZD not do any HDR even with the 4k update to the base PS4?
tamusc
AG
Do you have HDR in any other game or in the main PS4 system settings?

If you can get HDR enabled in the PS4 system settings, make sure to double check the instructions I linked above. Also double check your HDMI cable. If it's the HDMI cable that originally came with your PS4, I don't believe it was HDMI 2.0b compliant. Also, if your PS4 isn't connected directly to your TV (through something like an HDMI switch or home theater receiver) make sure that can pass HDMI 2.0b.

The last thing to check is your TV itself. Some TVs don't allow HDR when game mode is enabled or only allow HDR on specific inputs.
titanmaster_race
Thanks for all the help. The hdmi I've been using is pretty old, so I'll swap it out with a new one and try again.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I have not slept much the last couple nights but it's been worth it
spieg12
AG
Heck yes. Found out last night what the ring of metal was. The vantage point nearby tells you where in the world you are. Unless the name means something else.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
One complaint I have about the game:

there are numerous times while playing where there is so much information on the screen, I can't see what the hell I'm doing. Two-thirds of the screen is obscured by points of interest, markers, creatures I've tagged, the HUD display, the name of the mission you're on and what you have to do next, the tips text telling you to press the touchpad to enter the menu, etc, etc....

Several times the past two days I've just wanted all the text to just go away.
spieg12
AG
Go into settings and change the HUD to dynamic. It takes everything off the screen except the compass unless you are doing something that interacts with that aspect of the HUD. To display the whole HUD in this mode, just touch the TouchPad, not press but touch.
spieg12
AG
Moving on along.

titanmaster_race
Got it working!

I hadn't realized that there was an "HDMI UHD Color" on/off option for each input port to my tv. They were all turned off. I turned it on, got a new HDMI cable, and voila!

Thanks for your help
tamusc
AG
Awesome, glad you got it working!
spieg12
AG
I could spend all day taking screenshots.

spieg12
AG
So when fighting ravagers, I would definitely recommend using a tearblast arrow to remove their cannons. Then pick them up and wreck with them. I just took down two ravagers and three shell walkers like it was nothing.
Zombie
I just started playing today in HDR. First off, absolutely stunning. And thanks Bill for the tip on the HUD. That was driving me crazy.

I'm at the point right before the Proving. One question...do resources start coming more frequently? Don't get me wrong. I love that you have to be selective on using your ammo. But it would be nice if there were more resources. Especially wood.
spieg12
AG
Wood is by far the most abundant resource. I had just over 700 before the proving and now have over 2000. I keep dropping bundles of 250 because they are taking up too much space. There is an upgrade that gives you more resources from plants. You usually get between 7-12 wood from one plant with the upgrade.
I Like Mike
AG
I've got like 500 wood. Yes they come more frequently.
titanmaster_race
and every single merchant "is not interested in this item" when I try to pawn off the wood
FatZilla
AG
Zombie said:

I just started playing today in HDR. First off, absolutely stunning. And thanks Bill for the tip on the HUD. That was driving me crazy.

I'm at the point right before the Proving. One question...do resources start coming more frequently? Don't get me wrong. I love that you have to be selective on using your ammo. But it would be nice if there were more resources. Especially wood.

Im constantly dropping stuff like wood or blaze to make room even with my bags upgraded to max size.

Fyi if you haven't, expand your bags/quivers asap. Makes life much simplier.
Tex117
AG
The game is truly stunning in the visuals department.

The combat is great when you approach it slowly and plan something out. Just running in there with a spear and you get wrecked fast.

Plus, the story and the Aloy are both interesting enough to want to know what is happening.

Geralt of Rivia
S
I got frustrated at the Metal Ring on Saturday and didn't play any yesterday.
cr0wbar
AG
After 8+ Hours

Yea- this map is big. The story is compelling. Just completed my first Cauldron. That was pretty sweet.

Did the Dynamic HUD- really like that.
Have a 4K Tv- but not the PS Pro. Going to try these settings you guys are talking about.

Fun as hell so far
I Like Mike
AG
Tex117 said:

The game is truly stunning in the visuals department.

The combat is great when you approach it slowly and plan something out. Just running in there with a spear and you get wrecked fast.

Plus, the story and the Aloy are both interesting enough to want to know what is happening.

This can't be emphasized enough. You are a hunter, not a Navy SEAL. If you think of it from a hunting perspective, this game is freaking fantastic. Otherwise its lots of death for you. I love this game!
spieg12
AG
There is some tall grass to the right when you enter the metal ring that if you follow and stay low, it takes you right to the perfect angle. Then after that everything attacks your friends as long as you stay away from them and take potshots.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think my problem is that I've been trying to take out about 5-6 of the people that I see right at the start. I have a feeling that I should have been ignoring most of them
spieg12
AG
Yep. Dead guys leave bodies to investigate by living guys or machines which draws them in. There is one guy you have to kill at the very beginning when you drop down but otherwise no one has to be killed.

An alternative is to throw a rock in the opposite direction you are going and move while they look that way.
RadAg14
AG
Stalker my favorite animal so far. High key lost track of it a few times as it kept running into the forest area. It even tried to jump down the cliff and circle around to where I was...
Zombie
The intelligence of the AI is absolutely amazing. In 3 different scenarios I tried laying a trip wire only to have the enemy see it and find a way around it.

I have had to completely change my way of thinking with this game. Normally, I go with brute strength and just go in guns blazing. Its blatantly obvious you can't do that here. I have died more times in this game than any I can remember. But the great thing is, it doesn't bother me. It makes it more fun. Makes me take my time and deal with each scenario on an intelligent basis.
RadAg14
AG
I've had grazers run across the river to notify multiple sawtooths of my location. Amazing
titanmaster_race
precision bow is my favorite

long distance headshots for days
FatZilla
AG
Tearing off the laser cannons and wrecking shop is my favorite thing so far. I will run for miles with that gun until I find a pack worth of killing with it and then just blow them all away for a ton of exp.

Anyone take down the storm birds yet? Any tips on those *******s?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
FatZilla said:

Anyone take down the storm birds yet? Any tips on those *******s?

Tearblast arrows / ropecaster / fire arrows
spieg12
AG
Double or triple tearblaster arrows until most components are off then double or triple fire arrows.

Just wait until you come upon a rockcrawler...
Zombie
Am I the only one that is watching the clock, waiting on time to go home and play some more???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.