Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

423,780 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

MBAR said:

I don't know if I agree with gs about canon mirrorless being nothing special. R5 is really a danm nice camera.

Didn't realize d500 was so cheap. I might pick one up at that price!

It isn't special enough to switch systems. It is a very good camera by all accounts.

And with Canon's track record over the last 10-12 years on digital cameras, they are the brand I trust the least by FAR.
Definitely don't disagree there. I am still happy with my switch over to Nikon, but I do worry about the NIkon future.
BMo
Olympus DSLR, 2005,>Canon DSLR, 2014>Sony Mirrorless, 2018

I made the switch to mirrorless in 2018, even owning some nice L glass including a 500, F4. I think it was the perfect decision for me. Like Sid mentioned, there is a learning curve and I wondered but wouldn't change anything at this point. I even had a Nikon D500 for awhile in 2019 so I could own a crop body while waiting on Sony to put out a certain one.

Having said that, you need to shoot what you think is best for you and I think it's great whatever you choose. Good luck.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Congrats!! So, have you purchased a new CF Express card for it yet??
Yes, it is in the camera.

However it is pretty darn useless because the card reader is somewhere in the Snovid UPS backup.
labmansid
dubi said:

Quote:

Congrats!! So, have you purchased a new CF Express card for it yet??
Yes, it is in the camera.

However it is pretty darn useless because the card reader is somewhere in the Snovid UPS backup.
You could still hook your camera itself up to your computer to download, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a super fast card. I was actually kind of waiting to see if you commented on how expensive the new cards are. Also, when you get the reader be prepared to carefully handle the card after downloading pics to your computer. They can literally get hot enough to burn your skin if you aren't careful.
dubi
AG
Quote:

You could still hook your camera itself up to your computer to download, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a super fast card. I was actually kind of waiting to see if you commented on how expensive the new cards are. Also, when you get the reader be prepared to carefully handle the card after downloading pics to your computer. They can literally get hot enough to burn your skin if you aren't careful.
I have both card slots full right now, so i can just grab the SD photos until the reader shows up.

Thanks for the warning on the heat; I would not have known that!
dubi
AG
An eastern screech owl has moved into our nesting box!

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-screech-owl-nest-box

MBAR
AG
That's amazing! We're moving soon so I didn't put one up recently but I 100% am putting one up after we move to our new place.
BMo
dubi said:

An eastern screech owl has moved into our nesting box!

That is wonderful, Mary. How long have you had it up? I know they are around here but I have never put one up.
dubi
AG
Danny made it about a month ago and it just moved in.
BMo
dubi said:

Danny made it about a month ago and it just moved in.
Cool! I may have to get busy and build one.
bthotugigem05
AG
Gear sold, only for more gear to be purchased: Sony a1 and Fuji GFX 100S coming soon!
FTAG 2000
AG
Thoughts on flashes? I've got a Nikon D750.

Need a better one than I have for doing kiddo portraits, family events, etc.

Quick recharge time is important. Looking at getting a Godox V860II with an external power source.

Thoughts?
Guitarsoup
AG
AG 2000' said:

Thoughts on flashes? I've got a Nikon D750.

Need a better one than I have for doing kiddo portraits, family events, etc.

Quick recharge time is important. Looking at getting a Godox V860II with an external power source.

Thoughts?
My thought is that a single speedlight is rarely the right solution and if you are worried enough about recycle time and power, you should go up a level or two in light.

For off-camera, Godox 200 or up to 600, which is mainly what I use.
FTAG 2000
AG
Thanks Soup.
NoahAg
Need help picking a camera.

-not a pro at all; have never had more than a point and shoot camera
-main photo interests are:
-kid's sports (baseball, basketball)
-nature (birds) and landscape
-We love Big Bend, west TX, and it would be great to take some cool star pics like some of you on this thread
-I also love random old small town buildings and industrial stuff.

We've wanted a DSLR for years but I'm just learning about mirrorless. Making that decision will help greatly.

*Edit: Since this is our first foray into anything more than point and shoot, is $1,000 a reasonable budget? For that price is DSLR still a better buy than mirrorless?

Sorry to be "that guy," but this thread is 88 pages and I'm sure the answer is here if I read them all.
BMo
NoahAg said:

Need help picking a camera.

-not a pro at all; have never had more than a point and shoot camera
-main photo interests are:
-kid's sports (baseball, basketball)
-nature (birds) and landscape
-We love Big Bend, west TX, and it would be great to take some cool star pics like some of you on this thread
-I also love random old small town buildings and industrial stuff.

We've wanted a DSLR for years but I'm just learning about mirrorless. Making that decision will help greatly.

*Edit: Since this is our first foray into anything more than point and shoot, is $1,000 a reasonable budget? For that price is DSLR still a better buy than mirrorless?

Sorry to be "that guy," but this thread is 88 pages and I'm sure the answer is here if I read them all.
Look at some of the older Sony bodies if you are interested in mirrorless. Either way, look at the used market.
Guitarsoup
AG
So the things you want to shoot are pretty expensive to shoot right.

Sports generally need long lenses, and birds definitely need long lenses. Sports tend to need lenses that let in a lot of light, because they are on poorly lit fields and gyms.

The two things that make lenses the most expensive are: long focal length and letting in lots of light. The very first page has a lot of stuff on buying/shooting sports things. Bottom line is hard to do that type of thing at that price point.
NoahAg
Thanks Soup. Makes sense. I'll go back to page 1.
For a novice like me (not having to worry about making $$$ w/my shots) do I even need to consider APSC vs full frame? Is full frame automatically "better?" I'm trying to compare apples to apples as much as possible but there's so much to digest!
labmansid
IMO, the main difference between FF and APSC is that FF is better for low light situations. APSC is better, usually, for sports and wildlife because you are usually shooting something far away and you want it to appear as close as possible. The so-called "crop factor" of APSC sensors is better suited for that. Also, APSC cameras often have a faster frames per second, or FPS, shooting speed which is desirable for sports/wildlife. Hope that helps.
Guitarsoup
AG
Like Lab said, crop is better for sports and birds, unless you are in low light. It sorta gives you a bit more reach for less money.

Full frame would be better for portraits and lower light situations.
NoahAg
For mirrorless would you go?

Nikon Z6

or

Sony a7R II
bthotugigem05
AG
Z6, much newer camera. A better comparison would be the Z6 against the a7III.
NoahAg
Thanks! It likes like you can get a new Z6 bundle for the same price as a barely used 7III body only.
I guess apples to apples the Z6 is several hundred $$$ cheaper. I'll look more into both.
Guitarsoup
AG
Z6 is my main day to day camera, but it isn't ideal for shooting sports.

If you kids' sports and some wildlife things are your main targets, the D500 is probably the best camera for that.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d500-digital-camera-body.html

But that's $1100 without a lens. Since it is used, you likely could sell it for close to what you paid after a year or so.
dubi
AG
Twitter drone shoot in a bowling alley.

Raptor
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/9/22322684/nikon-z9-flagship-mirrorless-camera-development-announced-2021
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

tk for tu juan
Nice, stacked CMOS like the a9
labmansid
I thought I would throw this out here. I know there are some around here that look for alternatives to the Lightroom/Photoshop monthly "leasing" plan, and this seems to be a good piece of software for photo editing. DxO is offering discounts on their software this month. I have played around with their PhotoLab4 on a 30 day trial, and if nothing else the denoise part in the elite package is awesome for reducing or eliminating noise.

Link here.
bthotugigem05
AG
It's GFX100S day! Amazed how much smaller it is compared to my GFX100, it's almost as small as my Sony!

NoahAg
Guitarsoup said:

If you kids' sports and some wildlife things are your main targets, the D500 is probably the best camera for that.

But that's $1100 without a lens. Since it is used, you likely could sell it for close to what you paid after a year or so.
Do you see depreciation of DSLRs being a big issue over the next few years as mirrorless continues advancing?
Maybe a dumb question but will DSLR go away completely at some point?

In the end I won't make a purchasing decision based on possible future resale but it's something I'll keep in the back of my mind.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Do you see depreciation of DSLRs being a big issue over the next few years as mirrorless continues advancing?

In the end I won't make a purchasing decision based on possible future resale but it's something I'll keep in the back of my mind.

Canon 90D
$1,100

Canon R5
$3,900

If you want a easy camera to shoot outdoor sports, then you could buy the 90D and a 100-400 lens for less than the R5 body only.

It truly depends on what you want to do. I shoot 98% outdoors at long range so a regular DSLR meets my needs.

My 2 cents as a crappy amateur.
dubi
AG
And the 2nd reason for DSLR's is lots of cheap cameras and some expensive glass!

Wings Over Houston 2019

Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

I don't think you will see a huge decrease in that one. I am not sure there are any plans for a similar mirrorless.

I think DSLRs are still here for a while.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I need to clean a lens. Is there a best recommended practice?
labmansid
ensign_beedrill said:

I need to clean a lens. Is there a best recommended practice?
If it's just dust specks, I first try a rocket blower or equivalent. That often takes care of most of them. Small amounts of dust won't matter in your pictures for the most part. A lot of people advise against using canned air, as it can spit out liquid which could leave a thin residue on the glass.

For smudges or larger stubborn dust, I use a clean microfiber cloth dampened with an optical cleaning solution. You don't need a lot of solution, a little goes a long way. Also, don't get heavy handed when wiping glass. Dust particles can be gritty and scratch the glass if too much pressure is used. Gentle pressure should be enough, and use circular motions when wiping.

Rocket Blower
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.