Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,363 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
ensign_beedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. Do you have a cleaning solution you recommend?

It's bubbles that have popped on the lens. Too many baseball games. Anyway, I think that's whats showing up in my photos.
labmansid
I use a bottle of this cleaner. I think I got it a few years ago at Sams Club. It lasts forever, unless you shoot a lot in dirty environments. It came in a kit that included a cloth and maybe some other cleaning items. It can be used for eyeglasses as well.

Alternatively, you could get some of these. They look like they would be really handy to keep in a camera bag without taking up a lot of space or worrying about leaking.

I actually carry around on my keychain something similar to this. I think the one I have was a gift that came with an order I placed for something else some time back. It comes in handy for those times when you don't have your bag with you and get something on your lens.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Can confirm, the Zeiss wipes are legit. And exceptionally handy.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Thanks for the suggestions!
adamsbq06
AG
any reccomendations on a point and shoot?
andy@andrewadamsav.com
bthotugigem05
AG
Sony ZV-1
agracer
AG
Thom Hogan posted a CF Tripod review on his site for those looking for one.

Quote:

Here's something you thought I'd never get around to doing: an assessment of eight current tripods.
Now obviously I can't test every possible set of legs out there, because if you type "tripod" in a B&H search, you'll get 1193 possibilities.

Thus, I had to try to pick a representative subset of all tripods while setting some parameters. I set a maximum price of US$600 and tried to pick a sample of carbon fiber-based products from different makers that ranged from smallest travel tripod up through largest field tripod I'd consider for travel. For the latter, I'm thinking of the person who goes into the field with a big lens and maybe a gimbal head. For the former, I'm thinking of someone who is focused on minimum size and weight with a small mirrorless camera.
Guitarsoup
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

any reccomendations on a point and shoot?
All the Canon G-series have been pretty great for a normal everyday camera.

The Nikon P900 (or P950 or P1000) is the goto for a camera that can zoom in a ridiculous amount.
91AggieLawyer
AG
A friend of mine who's moving out of the country and pairing down his equipment gave me a Nikon D700 today. I've never shot Nikon outside of a camera store though I know this model is/was a very good camera like the original Canon 5D that I used to own. I have an 8g CF card that I used in my Canon. Other CF cards are 1g and less from older models, so I need to get a few. What are the best sizes and brands on CFs? I've always been partial to SanDisk on SD. What size will the D700 accommodate? I don't guess it has dual slots, does it? I haven't checked.

The one he gave me has a very high shutter count so if it blows, I'll give it to someone for parts. I'm assuming Nikon doesn't repair that model anymore.
Guitarsoup
AG
Single card slot, I know it take 64 and I think 128gb cards. It is just 12mp, so the files arent huge.

Great camera for the time. With the battery grip, it can do like 8 or 10 fps.
agracer
AG
Check for firmware updates.
dubi
AG
So I have a firmware update for my R5. Is this like computers where you wait a few weeks?
labmansid
dubi said:

So I have a firmware update for my R5. Is this like computers where you wait a few weeks?
Usually not necessary to wait in my opinion.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've bought a lot from KEH over the years and never had any issues. How are they on buying stuff? I really don't want to price and sell stuff individually as I have at least 3 bodies and several lenses, plus I don't know who will want what with what (2 lenses go with each of 2 bodies).
BMo
91AggieLawyer said:

I've bought a lot from KEH over the years and never had any issues. How are they on buying stuff? I really don't want to price and sell stuff individually as I have at least 3 bodies and several lenses, plus I don't know who will want what with what (2 lenses go with each of 2 bodies).
Someone on this thread put me onto mpb.com a while back. I have some items there as I type. They have been good to deal with and not the hassle of selling online to an individual.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

dubi said:

Why you should wait!
labmansid
dubi said:

labmansid said:

dubi said:

Why you should wait!
Damn, now I need to get that skin for my camera!
91AggieLawyer
AG
D700 with extras for sale. I'll see if anyone on here wants it. Body, lens (Tamron kit), several batteries and charger, couple of cards, bag.

Classifieds link
BMo
I have a Smallrig L bracket for a Sony a6xxx series camera that I used on an a6400 for sale if interested. I'll throw a teardrop eyecup in for free. Post here if any interest.

Guppy91
AG
Any tips on imaging through the windows of a commercial passenger jet? Specifically, on an Airbus 319 row 15 attempting to capture the Annular Solar Eclipse of 6/10/21 at dawn.

Pretty sure there will be distortion/aberration issues. I do have multiple prime "lenses " to consider for the event (Williams Optics APO refractors at focal lengths of 360mm, 430mm, 480mm).

Sky & Telescope Annular Eclipse of 6/10/21
BMo
Does anyone use a local (Texas) camera repair company that you would recommend? I have a small part I need replaced and really don't want to send to the manufacturer's service if I can avoid it.
Guitarsoup
AG
BMo said:

Does anyone use a local (Texas) camera repair company that you would recommend? I have a small part I need replaced and really don't want to send to the manufacturer's service if I can avoid it.

What's wrong and what camera?

Professional Camera Repair on Richmond in Houston is great, but there aren't any authorized repair places in Texas so no one gets parts from manufacturers.
BMo
Guitarsoup said:

BMo said:

What's wrong and what camera?

Professional Camera Repair on Richmond in Houston is great, but there aren't any authorized repair places in Texas so no one gets parts from manufacturers.
It is a Sony a9 and the rails that hold the eyecup on broke off. I used a teardrop eyecup since I shoot primarily outdoors and wear glasses. I caught it on the edge of my vehicle door and it broke the rails. I actually have the part in question and thought better of trying to do it myself after watching some youtube vids. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a call and find out if it's within the scope of what they do.

I did order and different eyecup a it stays on but I expect it could easily be bumped off.

Jabin
Been out of photography for too many years. I have a fair amount of nice and expensive Nikon lenses. Can I use them on the new mirrorless bodies? Will I need an adapter, and, if so, does it degrade the image or any of the advantages of the Nikon glass?

What are the advantages of mirrorless vs. DSLR? Is it worth the transition?
agracer
AG
Jabin said:

Been out of photography for too many years. I have a fair amount of nice and expensive Nikon lenses. Can I use them on the new mirrorless bodies? Will I need an adapter, and, if so, does it degrade the image or any of the advantages of the Nikon glass?

What are the advantages of mirrorless vs. DSLR? Is it worth the transition?

Mirrorless is generally smaller and lighter and really the all the major players are transitioning that way.

Yes, you can use your old Nikon "S" lenses (must have internal motor) will work on the mirror less cameras with the FTZ adapter. You can use manual focus lenses but it will not meter, it's all manual.

I have the Z6 and FTZ and a 70-200vr and it works great in my Z6. I rented a 200-500 and it also worked great with my Z6. Image quality was much better than my old D7000. Also better focus accuracy bc it's on the sensor itself. I had no trouble shooting track and soccer with the Z6.

I have not touched my Z6 in months bc kids are out of the house and only a few vacations this past year. I bought it for my son's senior year athletics which was kind of killed by covid.

I was trying to sell it a few months ago if you're interested? Z6, FTZ, and 24-70 all boxes, accessories, etc. I posted in the classifieds a few months back.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3165084/replies
BMo
This is exciting news if true for this Sony user. A larger form ASP-C body would be great.

New Sony ASP-C body
k20dub
AG
So what was everyone's first prime lens purchase? About to pull the trigger on the new Sony GM 35 1.4. Shoot wedding photos and videos and feel like this will help for both.
dubi
AG
All my first few purchases were expensive zooms. Prime came very late as a Canon 100mm macro.
Guitarsoup
AG
My first prime was a macro then a Telephoto.

For a long time, the only zoom I ever used was a 70-200 for sports. I still primarily use primes, but use the 24-70 a good bit for event stuff.

Favorite primes are the Nikon 105mmm 1.4, the Canon 135mm f2L and the 400mm 2.8.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
What photo editing software would be most noob friendly? Something a part timer could learn on. Also pc or Mac?

Pictures would all be from a drone in 4k(shot in raw). Agriculture, construction inspection, and maybe a little real estate.
Vae Victis
Guitarsoup
AG
Probably Lightroom if whatever software that comes on your computer doesn't do enough.
An Ag in CO
AG
I recently added a 21mm to my prime lens collection and I can't believe I've gone this long without it. Was just up in Grand Teton National Park and the photos I took with that lens are absolutely amazing. Also did a night of astrophotography with that lens and those images are stunning. Much better than the astrophotography I've done with longer focal length lenses. Oh, the expansive pictures at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument also showed the value of the extremely short focal length. I may now add a 30mm just to get something just a little less wide angle. Gets to be a heavy load to carry around as the lens collection grows unless I am really good at pre-planning what I want to shoot.
BMo
k20dub said:

So what was everyone's first prime lens purchase? About to pull the trigger on the new Sony GM 35 1.4. Shoot wedding photos and videos and feel like this will help for both.
I have owned 50mm and 85mm in both Canon and Sony. I currently own none as my photography interests don't dictate that I should. I currently own five Sony zooms from 16mm up to 600mm.
MBAR
AG
How is everyone's first prime not a nifty fifty?
HECUBUS
AG
No primes, just 28-70 and 70-180 2.8's for sports.
First Page Last Page
Page 89 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.