Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,448 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fly Army 97 said:

Kids 10 and 14. Starter cameras? I think the older is ready for an SLR, so I was thinking just get a Rebel of some sort, but I really just want a point and shoot for the 10 year old. Thinking Christmas presents.

I have a Canon 80D. 14YO has played around with it.

Anything worth looking at over the next month? Programs/apps, books, etc.?
. PS Elements will do everything an amateur wants from a photo editor perspective. B&H always puts the combo (PS and Premiere) on sale on Black Friday for $99. Well worth it. Tons of vids on YouTube to learn how to use it.
AgFB
AG
Love the new camera. The 70-200 2.8 is great but a beast to carry around. Was thinking of getting a smaller lense to take to Mexico and shoot next week. Should I get a fixed or maybe a 24-70 2.8?
k20dub
AG
I am shooting some weddings in December and January. The first one is video and the second one is photo and video (will have second shooters). I'm wanting to purchase some lights but wanted to try and find lights that I may be able to use for both photography and videography. It seems constant lighting would be an option but there's so many options out there that it's hard to decipher what I actually need. I'll be shooting on a Sony a7iii, at least starting out.

Considering buying the lights used in this video:

dubi
AG
AgFB said:

Yep. Looks like that will work. Thanks.

I'll also be traveling to Mexico in November and would love to bring my gear along. Any tips for carry-on bags to use and issues with traveling with gear like this?
We put our scuba photo gear in a pelican case. They search it at the airport as a carryon bag; it does not X-ray well.
dubi
AG
AgFB said:

Love the new camera. The 70-200 2.8 is great but a beast to carry around. Was thinking of getting a smaller lense to take to Mexico and shoot next week. Should I get a fixed or maybe a 24-70 2.8?
What camera did you buy?

My 24-70 2.8 weighs a ton so it will be shorter but darn near as heavy as your 70-200.
bthotugigem05
AG
FINALLY can shoot 400MP with my GFX100, 100MP had gotten so boring

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-releases-firmware-updates-for-fujifilm-gfx100-pixel-shift-gfx50s-and-gfx50r/?fbclid=IwAR0-G64Qy1ALFMAwRJsod6TJctz7BP0yj6M_EcbcciWRT_csBLsm84IQhwU
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

FINALLY can shoot 400MP with my GFX100, 100MP had gotten so boring!
Prayers for your hard drive!
bthotugigem05
AG
They're only 1.5GB apiece!
AG
Hey guys, Christmas gift question.

My parents live on a greenbelt and get all sorts of interesting birds in their backyard - hawks, owls, hummingbirds, etc. I've brought over my old DSLR and telephoto lens a few times and taken photos of them for them and my dad loves them.

My question is, are there any cheap options for a camera/telephoto lens option for a gift? My dad is definitely not a photographer but I know he would enjoy snapping his own photos of the the birds.

Thanks.
dubi
AG
Maybe a used DSLR and something like the Tamron 18-400 lens. It is an inexpensive ($600) way to get a 400mm zoom but takes decent pics.

We use one when we travel and can take only 1 lens.
labmansid
For someone just starting out and not used to using a bigger and more complex camera like a DSLR+telephoto lens, I would probably suggest something like one of the "point and shoot" superzooms. Nikon has a couple that several of my birding friends use. They seem to get some pretty good images with them. Maybe not the best for fast moving subjects, but pretty decent for most purposes. If he gets more serious later, then maybe consider an upgrade to something more complex.

Nikon P1000

Nikon P950
Guitarsoup
AG
My mom has one and it is fantastic for zooming a ridiculous distance. The toughest thing is getting your shutter speed fast enough for the long distances and stabilizing it. Tripod or sandbag would help a ton.

These are all Nikon P950
AG
Thanks for the responses.
dubi
AG
Explain the p950 zoom in comparison to my 100-400 on a crop body?

I don't understand "83x zoom".
bthotugigem05
AG
It has a smaller sensor, so optically you don't need as much glass to zoom with it and then a lot of that is digital zoom too at the sacrifice of megapixels (really just digital cropping).
Guitarsoup
AG
83x optical zoom, 133x digital zoom.

Turn off the digital zoom. That's worthless.

This has a smaller sensor, so it will show more noise/lose clarity in lower lights.

The zoom is effectively 24-2000 mm, which is ridiculous. But when zooming in, the aperture stops down to 8 or something, so you lose a lot of light. Not really a problem during the day. You will get more camera shake at the longer zooms, so something to stabilize is pretty important.

You can shoot it in shutter priority and manual, so being able to set your shutter speed to 1/2000th and let the camera do everything else is pretty handy when zooming far in the daylight.
dubi
AG
Quote:

zoom is effectively 24-2000 mm
That is very nifty!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
When do Canon and Nikon announce their new cameras? I'm looking at getting a 90D but I don't want the price to drop right after I buy it.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

When do Canon and Nikon announce their new cameras? I'm looking at getting a 90D but I don't want the price to drop right after I buy it.
It varies a great bit. Both Nikon and Canon announced/released new cameras in the fall. Both companies are doing pretty poorly right now. I think we see fewer cameras announced.

Canon & Nikon's entry level DSLRs are all due for replacement, but I think everything is focused on mirrorless right now.
91AggieLawyer
AG

I would seriously look at dumping whatever Canon gear you have and going Sony. And I don't shoot Sony. I just think 35mm based digital is slowly dying. Either Sony mirrorless on one side or MFT on the other will take over at some point.

At the very least, see what they're offering now, new and used.
labmansid
As Soup said, most of the camera suppliers have been somewhat crippled by the pandemic. There are new models being developed and brought to market, with the biggest advances in mirrorless. Canon has recently upped their game in mirrorless, and I took the plunge a couple of months ago, so far no regrets.

If you want to follow releases and possible discounting of Canon models, this site is pretty good for that.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
labmansid said:

As Soup said, most of the camera suppliers have been somewhat crippled by the pandemic. There are new models being developed and brought to market, with the biggest advances in mirrorless. Canon has recently upped their game in mirrorless, and I took the plunge a couple of months ago, so far no regrets.

If you want to follow releases and possible discounting of Canon models, this site is pretty good for that.
Thanks. It's been a while since I've even researched a new camera. Do you happen to know which of their mirrorless cameras is closest to the 90D? Comparable Sony version?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
labmansid
So far I believe the only non-full frame mirrorless Canon cameras are the M line, the M50 and M60, which I'm not real familiar with. I think there is talk of a "crop sensor" mirrorless in the R line coming sometime next year. What I like about the R line from Canon is that an adapter is all you need to use your "old" EF and EF-S lenses, so no need to immediately upgrade to the new RF lenses designed specifically for the new mirrorless cameras.

As for Sony, they have the alpha 6400 which is pretty highly regarded from what I've heard. Otherwise their flagship models are all full frame.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
labmansid said:

So far I believe the only non-full frame mirrorless Canon cameras are the M line, the M50 and M60, which I'm not real familiar with. I think there is talk of a "crop sensor" mirrorless in the R line coming sometime next year. What I like about the R line from Canon is that an adapter is all you need to use your "old" EF and EF-S lenses, so no need to immediately upgrade to the new RF lenses designed specifically for the new mirrorless cameras.

As for Sony, they have the alpha 6400 which is pretty highly regarded from what I've heard. Otherwise their flagship models are all full frame.
Last question, I hope. I've heard that the Canon lenses will work with the Sony cameras? Is that accurate?
labmansid
I believe that is correct, although I'm not sure if all lenses operate with full functionality. Someone with a Sony would have to weigh in on that. It requires an adapter as well.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
tk for tu juan
From way back on page 11, example shot of the moon with the P900 while standing in the driveway.

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2821283/replies/48950678
BMo

labmansid said:

Last question, I hope. I've heard that the Canon lenses will work with the Sony cameras? Is that accurate?

From Sid:

I believe that is correct, although I'm not sure if all lenses operate with full functionality. Someone with a Sony would have to weigh in on that. It requires an adapter as well.

Yes, many Canon lenses can be used with Sony cameras. Before I went to all Sony lenses I would use my EF lenses with a Sigma MC-11 adapter. Many reported better result than using a Metabones adapter.
agracer
AG

You should buy a Nikon Z6....

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3165085

MBAR
AG
2020 really got me to try new types of photography and I started looking for birds. While I've seen some cool things around and gotten decent photographs, getting little song birds to fill a frame has been nearly impossible. So I put up my feeders, set some branches as perches, and set up a portable hunting blind. Now I can almost fill the frame with these little guys! Next I'm going to make a reflection pool for them to splash in.

labmansid
Excellent! Great job. That's what it takes a lot of times to get them to come in close enough for decent shots. Glad you are also putting in a water feature, birds need that and it also draws in birds that don't usually go to feeders.
dubi
AG
I also setup a bird feeder. These photos were taken with a 100-400 with 1.4 extender from my kitchen.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
What sort of maintenance do you guys do with your lenses?
Guitarsoup
AG
Clean the outer elements and the contacts. That's it.
dubi
AG
Cardinal sitting under the feeder yesterday. He prefers to eat the spillage.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.