Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,792 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Maximus_Meridius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
russaggie said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look into it.

Is there a place or website you would recommend to find used cameras that have been inspected/checked to make sure they're in good shape?
Keh.com, Adorama, and B&H are my usual go-tos.
HECUBUS
AG
HS Volleyball season has started. Yay. Playing with masks stinks, but it's better than not playing.

1) Facial recognition auto focus doesn't work with masks. Boo.
2) 70-180 2.8 is awesome in the big gym (used 28-70 in MS gym).
russaggie
AG
HECUBUS said:

HS Volleyball season has started. Yay. Playing with masks stinks, but it's better than not playing.

1) Facial recognition auto focus doesn't work with masks. Boo.
2) 70-180 2.8 is awesome in the big gym (used 28-70 in MS gym).

What camera are you using to shoot volleyball?
HECUBUS
AG
Sony A7 iii, Tamron 28-70 & 70-180 2.8 lenses. After using the 28-70 for a year, I can really appreciate the 70-180. The 28-70 was better for the hitter close to the camera, net photos and celebration shots in a small gym and was good enough for the rest. In over 2000 shots with the longer lens, I haven't cropped a single one. I have cut off some feet, heads and volleyballs. It's never easy.
BMo
HECUBUS said:

Sony A7 iii, Tamron 28-70 & 70-180 2.8 lenses. After using the 28-70 for a year, I can really appreciate the 70-180. The 28-70 was better for the hitter close to the camera, net photos and celebration shots in a small gym and was good enough for the rest. In over 2000 shots with the longer lens, I haven't cropped a single one. I have cut off some feet, heads and volleyballs. It's never easy.
I have been holding off on the 70-180 but will order soon to be ready for the youngest grandgirls Little Dribbler season.
k20dub
AG
I rented the 70-180 for my a7iii a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it.

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Great shots!
Civen
AG
k20dub said:

Yikes... I'm way too nervous about taking my camera to the beach. Did you rent a waterproof housing?
k20dub
AG
No, was just super careful when I was near water. The picture of my daughter looks like I was closer to the water than I actually was. There was a sandbar that I was able to sit on. Those water housings are expensive!
Guitarsoup
AG
Civen said:

k20dub said:

Yikes... I'm way too nervous about taking my camera to the beach. Did you rent a waterproof housing?
No need. What I suggest though is to pick a lens and don't change it while you are there. And don't get it wet, especially if it doesn't have weather sealing.
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Civen said:

k20dub said:

No need. What I suggest though is to pick a lens and don't change it while you are there. And don't get it wet, especially if it doesn't have weather sealing.
This!

I sit far from the water with a long zoom lens. And Take GS's advice about not changing lenses in dirty/dusty outdoor environments.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I know a firmware update is coming for the D500 so it can use cfexpress. But until then it's still xqd. But I've lost my xqd reader. If I buy a cfexpress card reader, will it read my xqd card?
Civen
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I know a firmware update is coming for the D500 so it can use cfexpress. But until then it's still xqd. But I've lost my xqd reader. If I buy a cfexpress card reader, will it read my xqd card?
From what I've seen, cheap readers only do one or the other. You can get readers that do both, but they're a lot more expensive to the point that you might as well buy two separate ones.

Combined reader - $120
xqd only - $20
CFexpress only - $40
labmansid
Soooooo........ This showed up at my house a couple of weeks ago. I finally ordered it in mid-August after pouring over many video reviews.

I've been playing around with it and trying different settings, and so far I'm really impressed. For myself, as a bird/wildlife shooter mostly, I was mainly intrigued by the new eye specific focus system. I have to say that so far I am happy with how it works. Once it finds the eye of the animal, it stays locked on it, greatly increasing the keeper rate.

I find the electronic shutter quite useful also, especially if I am within earshot of my target. It is pretty much silent when shooting the 20fps it is capable of. Before with my other cameras, the clunking of the mirror slapping up and down would often frighten my subject. Even the mechanical shutter on this camera is much quieter.

Low light capability is also greatly improved. Canon seems to have made some huge inroads in that regard. In some instances I have taken shots at 12,800ISO that were quite usable with no extra processing, even when cropped significantly. 25,600ISO is not out of the question for many applications, especially with some of the denoise plugins available now.

Going from a traditional DSLR to a mirrorless system, I was a bit apprehensive at first. But the transition has been pretty seamless for the most part. The level of customization on this camera is top notch, as is typical for Canon's upper end cameras.
AgFB
AG
Great info in this thread. Thanks to GS and all the other gurus here.

I'm a former photo nerd, but have been out of the game for a long time. I have a Canon D60 (yes that's correct) and a few 2.8 lenses but want to move over to Nikon.

I'll be shooting mostly family pics with our new pup we are getting in November. I would love to start filling up the walls of our house with un-staged family photos. I also will be shooting my buddies and I duck hunting in the fall and the kiddos doing gymnastics and karate. I also have a side biz and will be wanting a camera with a decent video option as well to do some product images of tailgating trailers (so that biz will help with the cost).

Been shopping around on the KEH.com site. Thinking of going D750, 70-200 2.8 lens, extra battery or two and a few memory cards Thoughts? Any other accessories should I go with early on? I'm a fan of the battery grip as well as I used it back in the day when I was shooting sports.

TIA
Guitarsoup
AG
I would consider getting a Nikon D4 used as well. Maybe a little more expensive than the D750 (they have one for 1200 on KEH with battery and charger), but sensor is better IMO and it has the built in grip.

The new mirrorless are pre-selling now, so you might be able to get a cheap Nikon Z6 used in the next few weeks, too. I'll probably upgrade.
AgFB
AG
Yep. Looks like that will work. Thanks.

I'll also be traveling to Mexico in November and would love to bring my gear along. Any tips for carry-on bags to use and issues with traveling with gear like this?
Civen
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The new mirrorless are pre-selling now, so you might be able to get a cheap Nikon Z6 used in the next few weeks, too. I'll probably upgrade.
Finally get that double card slot you talked about.
Guitarsoup
AG
Civen said:

Guitarsoup said:

Finally get that double card slot you talked about.
Yeah, a lot of people made that same comment.

Rather than double slot, I actually would have been happier to have built in flash memory like a cell phone. Try something different!

Then you can still write to both the onboard flash memory and the memory card.

I really like my Z6, but the upgrade will be worthwhile. I mainly use it for personal work, and will now use it for professional as well.
MBAR
AG
Is Nikon releasing a D850 successor?
Guitarsoup
AG
MBAR said:

Is Nikon releasing a D850 successor?

I am sure they will.

However, the D850 is still head and shoulders better than any other DSLR offered.

The Z7II is going to be that replacement for a lot of people.
MBAR
AG
yeah I'm just hoping to snag a D850 for cheap if they release a successor. It looks like Canon is abandoning their DLSRS - at least on that level. Having just switched to the D750 I'm not keen on going to an all new mount again.
Guitarsoup
AG
MBAR said:

yeah I'm just hoping to snag a D850 for cheap if they release a successor. It looks like Canon is abandoning their DLSRS - at least on that level. Having just switched to the D750 I'm not keen on going to an all new mount again.
The mirrorless adapter works well.

But I am not switching all my lenses over, either. I like all my glass.
Fly Army 97
Kids 10 and 14. Starter cameras? I think the older is ready for an SLR, so I was thinking just get a Rebel of some sort, but I really just want a point and shoot for the 10 year old. Thinking Christmas presents.

I have a Canon 80D. 14YO has played around with it.

Anything worth looking at over the next month? Programs/apps, books, etc.?
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't know about Apps other than Adobe has a Photoshop/Lightroom subscription for $10/mo.

What budget do you want to spend on cameras/lenses?

What do you already have besides the 80D?
heddleston
AG
Affinity Photo is a solid $50 app with a similar feature set to photoshop, and the devs also sell a workbook that's real helpful.

GIMP is free and awesome but also kinda tricky. Tons of tutorials on YouTube

Dark table is a decent free Lightroom type application. a little clunky but still powerful and very free.
AggieHusker
AG
Can a decentered lens be repaired with success? Tried researching this a bit and it seems that it's possible, although curious if anyone has any experience.

I dropped my camera bag last weekend. Now every picture and video is badly out of focus. Only the 1/4 right side of the frame is in focus; everything on the left 3/4 is out of focus.
Fly Army 97
I've got a 20D on its deathbed. 50mm lens 1.8, 18-200mm 3.5-6.3.

htxag09
AG
Printing question here.....

I took a photo that I want to print out in 16x9. I've checked all the common printing websites (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Shutterfly) and did some googling and I'm not coming up with anything? Any suggestions on websites or even somewhere local in Houston that isn't an arm and a leg?

We'll probably have the photo custom framed, with a mat, at Michaels as we have some decent custom framing coupons.
k20dub
AG
Miller's Professional Imaging is what I use. They have a ton of options. I think you have to create an account but it's free.
Guitarsoup
AG
k20dub said:

Miller's Professional Imaging is what I use. They have a ton of options. I think you have to create an account but it's free.
Do you not need a sales tax ID to use Miller's anymore?

MPIX.com is the consumer arm of Miller's.
k20dub
AG
I signed up a few months ago and didn't have to provide one.
htxag09
AG
I was able to create an account on Miller's without a sales tax id, however, they didn't have the size I was looking for.

Did more exploring on the Michael's/Aaron Brothers site and the photo print is included with the custom framing. So I was able to go more custom and do the size I was really hoping for (16 x 7). Photo print, mat, framing, and shipping came out to a little more than $50 so I'll take it.
Raptor
AG
Busted up my 3 month old Tamron 24-70mm at a football game. Lens fell out of my bag as I tripped on the top step (getting into the stadium, because everyone was being checked for COVID). The lens mount is now tilted and half of it is lower than the edge it sits on.

Thankfully I have insurance for such an occurrence, but dang! I hate to have hurt my equipment like that. Poor thing had barely been used.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

htxag09
AG
Think it turned out pretty well
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.