Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,247 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to be a long week and hope it's on time.

Sony 200-600
FTAG 2000
AG
Nikon folks I need some help.

Have a d750 and testing out to do some star trails while in Cararact Canyon rafting in a few weeks.

Set up for 30s exposures. Interval setup with five seconds between shots. Set for 1 shot per interval, 120 intervals. Hit go. be

I get somewhere between 18-24 shots and then it just stops. Thought it might e the standby setting, changed that to infinity, still does the same thing.

I don't know what else it could be.
IJones23
I know absolutely nil about cameras. My 12 year old wants one she can take videos of her puppy with, but I don't want to spend $500 on a camera for a beginner. I was thinking more around $150 or less.
dubi
AG
IJones23 said:

I know absolutely nil about cameras. My 12 year old wants one she can take videos of her puppy with, but I don't want to spend $500 on a camera for a beginner. I was thinking more around $150 or less.

Used iPhone.
BMo
BMo said:

Going to be a long week and hope it's on time.

Sony 200-600
After a week delay my order is in the warehouse but more importantly, they took my money this AM.
bthotugigem05
AG
Awesome! Looking forward to testing that lens out next week at the Sony Kando Trip in Oregon (will also be testing out the new a7rIV).
FTAG 2000
AG
AG 2000' said:

Have a d750 and testing out to do some star trails while in Cararact Canyon rafting in a few weeks.

Set up for 30s exposures. Interval setup with five seconds between shots. Set for 1 shot per interval, 120 intervals. Hit go. be

I get somewhere between 18-24 shots and then it just stops. Thought it might e the standby setting, changed that to infinity, still does the same thing.

Figured this out, so nevermind on the ask.
dubi
AG
It would be great to hear the "fix"?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
BQ92
AG
Getting back into the photography hobby after a long absence.

What are the thoughts on Lightroom and the Adobe Creative Cloud? Let's assume I snap a minimum of 300 shots a week, is it appropriate?
dubi
AG
BQ92 said:

What are the thoughts on Lightroom and the Adobe Creative Cloud? Let's assume I snap a minimum of 300 shots a week, is it appropriate?
I think the operative question is are you willing to pay for it?

I do.
FTAG 2000
AG
dubi said:

It would be great to hear the "fix"?

I was using the interval timer setup in the camera.

I had set the intervals at 4 seconds thinking that would give the camera time to write to the card before starting another exposure.

After some experimenting though, changed the interval to 34 seconds. Then it worked.

So it seems like the interval is working in parallel to the exposure settings I had (30s per shot). Basically, it was trying to fire the trigger every four seconds, but couldn't because the exposure was running for thirty seconds.

The math also worked out on it -

When I was doing 120 exposures:

120 exposures x 4 second interval = 480 seconds to do the interval. Divided by 34s, was getting 14 shots in the set.

When I bumped it to 180 exposures, got 21 photos.

That interval setting is very counterintuitive, especially when married with the time exposure settings.
FTAG 2000
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

AG 2000' said:

AG 2000' said:

Figured this out, so nevermind on the ask.
Don't leave 5 second pauses, unless you want gaps in your trails. You want to take frames over and over, back to back.

Set your shutter drive mode to "continuous", as if you were going to shoot bursts at sports. Use a wired remote, and lock the button pressed down the whole time. With the long shutter speed, it'll just shoot 30 second exposures until you disengage the locked button to tell it to stop.
Will try this out tonight too, thanks.
dubi
agracer
AG
BQ92 said:

Buy PS Elements. Its 95% of Photoshop for $99. Its also frequently on sale at B&H Photo. I think I got the Elements and Premier bundle for $69 on black Friday.

If you find you need more or Elements is truely limiting your work, then look into ceative cloud.

I think there is also a good free editing software out there.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I would not buy PS elements. Just use lightroom
Luke Smith
I've been trying to figure out how to do milky way/star photography but am having minimal luck.

I tried getting out in my back yard last night just to run some tests but the light pollution was a little too much. I was able to locate the milky way and snap some shots but nothing that turned out very well.

I've got a pretty basic setup so that may be the problem.

One thing everyone mentions is you need to focus your lens on infinity. What is my best course of action if none of my lenses have infinity marked on them?

bthotugigem05
AG
Get to a much darker sky (not knowing where you live).
Luke Smith
Just get to a dark sky and don't worry about the infinity focus part?
AZAG08
AG
If you can set up while there is still some light just try to focus on an object that's far out and then you should be in focus when you aim to the sky
labmansid
Luke Smith said:

I've been trying to figure out how to do milky way/star photography but am having minimal luck.

I tried getting out in my back yard last night just to run some tests but the light pollution was a little too much. I was able to locate the milky way and snap some shots but nothing that turned out very well.

I've got a pretty basic setup so that may be the problem.

One thing everyone mentions is you need to focus your lens on infinity. What is my best course of action if none of my lenses have infinity marked on them?

Most lenses do have an infinity marker on them, but true infinity is usually a small turn back from that mark to allow for changes in focus due to temperature differences. I posted some advice on focusing for stars a while back in this thread on a similar question. It does help if you can focus during the day on something distant and lock focus down somehow then. Also, post processing can play a big role in how your milky way photos come out.

Here is a link to my advice on nighttime focus if you have to do it that way.
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2821283/replies/54406022

On a related note, I just got back from Big Bend this past weekend where I was able to get out one night and try some Milky Way shots. It really does help to have dark skies.

FTAG 2000
AG
First dabble with star trails, pretty happy with how it turned out. Annoyed with the plane trails but don't feel like editing them out.

MBAR
AG
I've almost gone to big bend a couple of times this summer but changed my mind last minute as I really wanted to go while the monsoon was producing storms in the area for lightning. I may try to go in the next couple of weekends though.
labmansid
MBAR said:

I've almost gone to big bend a couple of times this summer but changed my mind last minute as I really wanted to go while the monsoon was producing storms in the area for lightning. I may try to go in the next couple of weekends though.
You might watch the forecast for the area. I was hoping for the same thing while I was there, but there were no storms the week I was there. I wanted to get some lightning as well, but no luck. Just HOT and dry. The last couple of years was better.
MBAR
AG
labmansid said:

MBAR said:

You might watch the forecast for the area. I was hoping for the same thing while I was there, but there were no storms the week I was there. I wanted to get some lightning as well, but no luck. Just HOT and dry. The last couple of years was better.
Yeah I've been watching the models pretty consistently. For awhile its had a big zero for precip through 200+ hours were they don't do very well anyway. But the same ridge that giving us 100+ here in SE TX is keeping it dry there.

Looks like there might be a chance about 10ish days out on the last weekend before the fall semester. Will be a fairly moonless then too.
AZAG08
AG
I find myself watching the weather and moon all the time hoping for that perfect night sky.
Then I have to convince myself to make the drive out to dark skies "just" to take pictures for an hour or two and drive back -- can make for a long night, but its a lot of fun
dave99ag
AG
The storms out there during the monsoon season are something else. We were at our place back in June and watched storms roll in all around us. If you don't get the dark skies, the storms and sunsets make up for it. The storms can be really intense though. We had a hail storm come down last October that caused a bit of concern. Luckily nothing was damaged. At some point I'll actually try to photograph the stars and Milky Way. I'm usually just staring at them in awe!

agracer
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

You can't "buy" Lightroom. You have to subscribe. For an amateur, PSE will cover everything and not cost you $120/yr, year after year.
TexasAggie_02
AG
agracer said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

You can't "buy" Lightroom. You have to subscribe. For an amateur, PSE will cover everything and not cost you $120/yr, year after year.
A: I never said "buy", i said "use"
B: he/she said that they shoot 300 pics a week, so over 15k a year.

Elements is a cheap, watered down version of photoshop. I think that editing would be much easier in Lightroom

no matter what you get, there is going to be a learning curve. in the case of PSE, that learning curve is going to result in a wall where you will get nothing else out of it when it's limitations become apparent. You will then will just end up moving to something better anyways. Then you get to re-learn everything with a new program.
MBAR
AG
dave99ag said:

The storms out there during the monsoon season are something else. We were at our place back in June and watched storms roll in all around us. If you don't get the dark skies, the storms and sunsets make up for it. The storms can be really intense though. We had a hail storm come down last October that caused a bit of concern. Luckily nothing was damaged. At some point I'll actually try to photograph the stars and Milky Way. I'm usually just staring at them in awe!

N
Nice!

Not quite in big bend but I had a good chase earlier this year near Fort Stockton.

bthotugigem05
AG
The a7rIV is great. Images are awesome, autofocus is insane, and the megapixels are lovely.

Oh, and yes I borrowed the new 600 f4 just to be ridiculous.

BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

The a7rIV is great. Images are awesome, autofocus is insane, and the megapixels are lovely.

Oh, and yes I borrowed the new 600 f4 just to be ridiculous.

Excellent. I'm going to hang with the R3 at 42, at least for now. I want to see the mini a9

I did receive this and took it to the coast yesterday.

91AggieLawyer
AG
dubi said:

IJones23 said:

Used iPhone.

Yeah, the iPhone has made the consumer level point and shoot obsolete. If she wants to really learn how to shoot, I'd recommend something like a Panasonic GH2 with a 25mm lens -- good video, good stills, has manual controls that she can learn on and auto controls when she just wants to shoot, cheap enough -- but it isn't 150 and if she likes it, she'll want a newer camera body like the GH5 ($$$) at some point. KEH should have the GH2 for an OK price. Don't hesitate to get a Bargain rated one. I still shoot my GH1 from time to time for stills.

If you get an iPhone, make sure it is a 6s or later.
dubi
AG
I just love the creativity of this photographer! Link

UpstateAg
AG
Anyone have some advice for taking pictures of a house? I plan on using a 50 and a 12 (f/2's), and have read about lighting and angles, and have been taking notes on pictures that look great and those that suck. What are your tips?
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.