Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

416,688 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Sony FINALLY announces a 35mm f1.8 for it's full-frame mount. $750, ships in August.
NO I'M NOT GETTING ONE
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Sony FINALLY announces a 35mm f1.8 for it's full-frame mount. $750, ships in August.
NO I'M NOT GETTING ONE
You sure? I've been very good waiting on the 200-600 to start shipping but I'm getting antsy.
tk for tu juan
Has Sony released the 135mm yet?
labmansid
bthotugigem05 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

NO I'M NOT GETTING ONE
heddleston
AG
Does anyone here use Luminar 3? I've seen decent reviews for it, it seems the main knock on it is switching over from Lightroom and it may not be as powerful a manager as Lightroom, but im pretty lowkey in the size of my library so I think I'm okay. Never used Lightroom so I'm good in that regard.
Griffle
Very, very broad question. I have a 13 year old daughter who is showing a lot of interest in photography. We actually found a lady in Dallas who does an introductory 1x1 session and some follow up sessions to go over camera settings and editing software at the highest level. Just a wet your appetite type thing.

My daughters interest is around photography of Architecture, Nature and then people. With that said, how do I go about finding the right equipment for a 13 year old? Not too much so that she's overwhelmed, but enough that she has options to do what she wants. I don't want to dump a ton of money into this and she moves on in 6 months.

If you can't tell, photography noob posting.
Raptor
AG
My 14 year old nephew is doing almost the exact same thing. His parents got him a used Nikon D3500 with a wide angle and zoom lens and a speed flash on amazon for around $350 (tax included).

He loves it and uses it all the time, learning as he goes. He also downloaded PhotoScape (free version) on his Mac and is learning how to do editing with that before Lightroom.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

UpstateAg
AG
Looking for 85mm lens recommendations for an A6000. It's next on the purchase list. Got some extra cash from officiating some weddings.
BMo
I had the Sony 85, 1.8 for awhile and it was very good. I sold it only because it didn't really fit into my uses.
Griffle
Raptor said:

My 14 year old nephew is doing almost the exact same thing. His parents got him a used Nikon D3500 with a wide angle and zoom lens and a speed flash on amazon for around $350 (tax included).

He loves it and uses it all the time, learning as he goes. He also downloaded PhotoScape (free version) on his Mac and is learning how to do editing with that before Lightroom.

Thanks Raptor! This is helpful.
bthotugigem05
AG
61-megapixel Sony a7rIV coming at 9am CDT today
hatchback
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Oh my.
tk for tu juan
bthotugigem05 said:

/archererectmeme
UpstateAg
AG
tk for tu juan
Quote:

The camera has a full-frame 61MP BSI-CMOS sensor with a claimed 15 stops of dynamic range (it's the first new sensor since 2015, according to Sony). It has a 567-point hybrid AF system (with 74% frame coverage) with real-time eye, human and animal AF. The camera can shoot at 10 fps with continuous AF for up to 68 photos.

Starts typing up 5DIV for sale classified...
TMoney2007
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

The camera has a full-frame 61MP BSI-CMOS sensor with a claimed 15 stops of dynamic range (it's the first new sensor since 2015, according to Sony). It has a 567-point hybrid AF system (with 74% frame coverage) with real-time eye, human and animal AF. The camera can shoot at 10 fps with continuous AF for up to 68 photos.

Is that a lot of dynamic range? That seems like alot of dynamic range...
MBAR
AG
TMoney2007 said:

tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

Is that a lot of dynamic range? That seems like alot of dynamic range...

15 stops compared to 12 stops for my 6d is a huge difference. But my 6d is old so I'm not sure how it compares to the newer sensors. Probably no where near as much of a jump.
labmansid
15 stops of DR is a lot, if that holds true. Just out of curiosity, I did a quick search for cameras with the best DR. I found a test someone did and was a bit surprised. They admit the testing is not exactly all encompassing and was done only on JPEG and not RAW settings, which could skew things a bit.

Their overall leader was a Leica at 14.5 stops of DR. From there, a few, mostly Canon and Leica, had 13-14 stops. Then most were in the 10-11 stop range comprised mostly of Canon, Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic. I was a bit surprised there wasn't a Nikon in the top 15 that they tested.

Test here.
Guitarsoup
AG
labmansid said:

15 stops of DR is a lot, if that holds true. Just out of curiosity, I did a quick search for cameras with the best DR. I found a test someone did and was a bit surprised. They admit the testing is not exactly all encompassing and was done only on JPEG and not RAW settings, which could skew things a bit.

Their overall leader was a Leica at 14.5 stops of DR. From there, a few, mostly Canon and Leica, had 13-14 stops. Then most were in the 10-11 stop range comprised mostly of Canon, Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic. I was a bit surprised there wasn't a Nikon in the top 15 that they tested.

Test here.
It had the D850 at 8-9 stops of dynamic range. DXOMark has the D850 at 14.8 stops of dynamic range. That is in line with my experience.

https://www.dxomark.com/nikon-d850-sensor-review-first-dslr-hit-100-points/
UpstateAg
AG
Bought a GoPro hero7black at Costco today to test out. Anyone have thoughts on it?
labmansid
Yeah I was kind of questioning that other test site. Especially their use of JPEG instead of RAW. Thanks for the DXO link, I was trying to remember what their name was.
BMo
bthotugigem05 said:

It's nice but a disappointment to me. My R3 does fine at 42mp and I was hoping for the super crop body. SAR had it at 4 bodies but I think he meant IV body.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
UpstateAg said:

Bought a GoPro hero7black at Costco today to test out. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Don't shoot it in 4k60 with low light mode enabled as it can cause your camera to freeze. Apparently it's a known issue and they haven't released a fix yet.

I lost several dives worth of video on my most recent trip to Bonaire because it froze while underwater. The fix is relatively easy (remove the battery and replace) but not exactly something you can do in 100' of water.

All in all though they are fantastic cameras for the price and you can get some pretty amazing pictures (well, amazing for me anyway) via screen grab.
bthotugigem05
AG
BMo said:

bthotugigem05 said:

It's nice but a disappointment to me. My R3 does fine at 42mp and I was hoping for the super crop body. SAR had it at 4 bodies but I think he meant IV body.

I thought it was a bit unnecessary as well, but if Canon and Nikon are coming out with 60MP mirrorless bodies I see why they needed to beat them to it.
tk for tu juan
I am mostly waiting for a 20-30MP camera with a global shutter that can do at least 10 fps with continuous AF. Last I heard Canon had a prototype global shutter sensor that was under 8MP. They need to hurry up
MBAR
AG
BMo said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I mean cameras can do fine at 20 mp so of course you can do great at 40. That being said, I was going to get the A7R3 as my next camera, but I'd rather have the 60 mp.

I like to make large prints, and right now to do so I end up stitching panoramas which is fine but being able to do it in one shot is amazing.
k20dub
AG
Yep, this is the dream camera if you're into printing.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nikon is apparently going to use that 60MP Sony sensor in the Z8 mirrorless that has yet to be announced.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/amazon-accidentally-sold-13000-camera-gear-for-100-on-prime-day/?fbclid=IwAR16ZHCOnBR2oFbG6bJQDob6IJ6Ka4vr6sJcDQW--mncb2R9O_-45CzMjLs

Argh! why didn't i catch on to this!!!

Quote:

Amazon discounted a wide range of camera gear for Prime Day this week, but some photographers scored what may be the best deals of their lives. Thanks to a pricing error, many people were able to purchase high-end camera gear bundles, some worth over $5,000, for just around $100.
Quote:

"I got a $13,000 lens for $94," another member writes regarding their Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS order. "LOL waiting for the cancellation but thats like 99.3% off."

Other members spoke to Amazon customer service about their order and were told that the order would indeed ship. Others also reported that they successfully price matched gear at retailers such as Best Buy and Walmart.
labmansid
TexasAggie_02 said:

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/amazon-accidentally-sold-13000-camera-gear-for-100-on-prime-day/?fbclid=IwAR16ZHCOnBR2oFbG6bJQDob6IJ6Ka4vr6sJcDQW--mncb2R9O_-45CzMjLs

Argh! why didn't i catch on to this!!!

Quote:

Amazon discounted a wide range of camera gear for Prime Day this week, but some photographers scored what may be the best deals of their lives. Thanks to a pricing error, many people were able to purchase high-end camera gear bundles, some worth over $5,000, for just around $100.
Quote:

"I got a $13,000 lens for $94," another member writes regarding their Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS order. "LOL waiting for the cancellation but thats like 99.3% off."

Other members spoke to Amazon customer service about their order and were told that the order would indeed ship. Others also reported that they successfully price matched gear at retailers such as Best Buy and Walmart.

Holy crap!!
AZAG08
AG
We had quite a thunderstorm roll into Calgary about 5am this morning. This was taken from my apartment balcony.

Cromagnum
AG
Wife surprised me with an Arsenal attachment for my birthday. Will fool around with it on my 80D when I get things charged up, firmware updated, etc...
Cromagnum
AG
Have decided this device is a piece of **** and will be getting a refund. It takes complete control of your camera and changes settings on its own so that when you are not using it, you have to dig into all the menus to fix everything. I lost my autofocus capability as well as ability to adjust aperture...kinda ****ing important.

When it's plugged in, it kind of works, but will randomly lose synch with your phone or with the camera and require a restart. Sometimes 2-3 times.

Also if it needs a firmware update, you can't use it until you spend a half hour downloading and installing it through your phone.
dubi
AG
Cromagnum said:

Have decided this device is a piece of **** and will be getting a refund. It takes complete control of your camera and changes settings on its own so that when you are not using it, you have to dig into all the menus to fix everything. I lost my autofocus capability as well as ability to adjust aperture...kinda ****ing important.

When it's plugged in, it kind of works, but will randomly lose synch with your phone or with the camera and require a restart. Sometimes 2-3 times.

Also if it needs a firmware update, you can't use it until you spend a half hour downloading and installing it through your phone.

That is nuts!

My Pluto trigger does not takeover any camera settings.
TexasAggie_02
AG
yeah, i bought an arsenal off of kickstarter, not for the "machine learning" b/c i don't need something to set my settings for me, i bought it for the wireless control with the phone, but its a POS. especially, since you can be out in the field when an update gets pushed, and you are stuck with a brick that won't work until you download a 500+ MB update over phone data, and if it gets interrupted, you have to start over.

If you do want to keep it, i know on android if you go to the app in the Google Play Store, you can turn off auto updates. If the app never receives updates, then it won't force you to update the arsenal firmware.I would assume iOS has a similar feature, but i don't know for sure.
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.