Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

417,283 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MBAR said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Ever think of moving to the other side of the Bonfire Memorial to get the star trails and just composite them in behind the Bonfire Memorial foreground? Might help some of the light pollution from the Memorial itself.
I hadn't considered that. Shooting out over the empty field would help for sure but there's so much stuff on Texas now that it probably won't change too much. Good idea though!
I hate those lights on the tall poles that illuminate the Bonfire Memorial area. They give everything around there that crappy orange-yellow color, and plays hell with white balance in photos. I did some shots out there a year or two ago and had to do some major tweaking to make it come out decent. It probably would have helped to expose it less, but I was mainly exposing for the sky this time. I could try a composite shot I suppose.

dubi
AG
Agree 100% about the awful lighting.
MBAR
AG
So DFW is likely to get hit hard by storms tomorrow with some giant hail. Do you guys know of any good parking garages with a solid view of either skyline?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
For Dallas:

The TAMU College of Dentistry

SMU Parking Garage

Also a garage by Park Place Porsche

For Fort Worth

Parking Garage at Harris Hospital

MBAR
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

For Dallas:

The TAMU College of Dentistry

SMU Parking Garage

Also a garage by Park Place Porsche

For Fort Worth

Parking Garage at Harris Hospital

Thanks!

I might try to do some time lapses and get lightning with the skyline but I'd rather not have to worry about my car being hit by baseballs.
agracer
AG
Looks like Nikon will be ramping up discounts on gear starting in May (rumors right now). This is pretty typical. I was going to pick up a D7500 today until I read that discounts are coming so I can wait two weeks.

www.bythom.com

Quote:

I mentioned instant rebates coming later this spring. Given the low CIPA numbers for the first two months of the year, I suspect April glowers will bring May flowers of discounts. I'd tend to say to hold off on any significant high-dollar purchase if it's not on discount.

Nikon's new discounts will probably be announced for May.

My current lens like up is, Nikon 70-200 VR1, 50/1.8, 18-200VR.

The D7500 can be bundled with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR with ~$500 discount (lens adds ~$500 to the camera price, by itself the lens is $1,000)

In a year, I'll no longer need a mostly sports camera and will be thinking of selling the D7500 and switch to mirrorless for the light/compact form factor (Wife and I plan to travel a LOT once the kids are out of the house).

Since the Z camera's can be bundled with the Z 24-70mm f/4 S Lens, should I just stick with the body only, or go ahead and get the lens and sell it later with the camera? It will certainly be a useful lens for the next year (lots of family events). The Nikon Z has a new mount so I'd need the adapter to fit the 16-80 and I'd rather not do that and stick with native Z lenses.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Mrs. blindey went out of her mind and bought me a Leica Q-2. Her point was that she wants endless pictures of our kids and wanted something I would really love learning and working with. It helped that my old Canon 50D is finally showing mechanical issues compounded with the size of my travel kit, bruiser-ass toddler, sweet baby, all of the accountriments of kids, and the fact that most of my photography is being done on an iPhone that she just said to hell with it and pulled the trigger. I don't even know what to do next kecept gawk at the thing when I pull it out of the box.
javajaws
AG
blindey said:

I don't even know what to do next kecept gawk at the thing when I pull it out of the box.
Send it back, get a new mirrorless "insert name brand here" camera instead and a couple airline tickets to the South Pacific?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
She wouldn't have it. She's like that. I had the exact same reaction. Her response is that our babies are only babies once and this is how she wants it done.

She didn't come from money but **** all if I married well.
Civen
AG
agracer said:

My current lens like up is, Nikon 70-200 VR1, 50/1.8, 18-200VR.

The D7500 can be bundled with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR with ~$500 discount (lens adds ~$500 to the camera price, by itself the lens is $1,000)

In a year, I'll no longer need a mostly sports camera and will be thinking of selling the D7500 and switch to mirrorless for the light/compact form factor (Wife and I plan to travel a LOT once the kids are out of the house).

Since the Z camera's can be bundled with the Z 24-70mm f/4 S Lens, should I just stick with the body only, or go ahead and get the lens and sell it later with the camera? It will certainly be a useful lens for the next year (lots of family events). The Nikon Z has a new mount so I'd need the adapter to fit the 16-80 and I'd rather not do that and stick with native Z lenses.
Right now, the Z lenses are really big. You might have some size savings in the body, but they're quickly lost with the glass.

Quick compare:
Z mount 50mm f/1.8 - 3.4" Long x 14.6 oz
F mount 50mm f/1.8 - 2.1" Long x 6.5 oz

The Z mount is optically a much better lens, with a lot more glass elements in it. performance wise, it blows the F mount away https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61593310. Maybe in the future they'll have a small lens that sacrifices quality for size, but right now it seems like they want to go fancy with the lens design.

F mount -------- Z mount

All of that isn't to discourage you, I recently got a Z6 with the new 50mm and it's been awesome so far. Just trying to help you know what to expect. And it's not just Nikon, the Canon mirrorless lenses are also coming out larger so far https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-understanding-canon-eos-r-why-new-rf-lenses-are-so-big
agracer
AG
Thanks for that.

Last weekend, I took 200+ Photos at my son's soccer game, got lucky and he was right in front of me on several fast breaks to the goal (15-30yards away from me). Got home and EVERY single photos was out of focus or soft. I have no idea what I did. Used Nikon's ViewNX to check everything. The red box (focus point) was on the target etc. in 90% of the shots I took. Speed was 1/800 and faster, ISO 200 to 400 for most, F2.8, F4.0 and F5.6.....

Played with the camera a home, still won't focus right. Tried a test chart, soft and fuzzy....Borrowed a friends 70-300 on Sunday. Same thing...in 2012 I had shipped my D7000 back to Nikon for the same issues and they charged me $250 to fix it (can't recall exactly what they did but I do know it involved re-positioning the sensor). Called a local store to see if they do cleaning or lens calibration. Guy suggested I reset everything to factory specs before I spend any money. The pictures I took at Prom the week before with my 18-200/vr1 are all nice and clear/sharp so I'm wondering if my 70-200 is somehow messed up.

Reset everything Monday night and...voila...works fine again with all my lenses.. Have no clue what happened or what I did wrong on Saturday but it was maddening b/c I had missed some really great photos of my son in the open field alone with the ball at his feet....

Rented a D500 for this weekend's track and soccer games. We'll see how it goes. So far I like it.
agracer
AG
Also, for anyone looking to purchase new, Nikon has some new rebates coming April 28th

Nikon Rumors

Quote:

Nikon will start a new rebate promotion in the US on April 28th (most listings will include free accessories and/or cashback). The Nikon Z6 will get a new $200 price drop, while the Nikon Z7 will go down $600. Here is the new pricing - I am not 100% sure of all the numbers since some of the price drops are too good to be true (click to see current price):
DSLR
Mirrorless
Lenses
Check back NikonRumors on April 28th (Sunday) for the full details.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/#ixzz5m6vn5mFc
aggiebq03+
Hmmm, was eyeing refurbished D500 for around $1350 to replace our D7100, but for $1500 brand new...

Shooting kids baseball and while the 6fps is nice, having 10fps sure sounds better. Plus I miss the feel of my old D300 we sold several years back. I'm amazed what the higher ISO looks like now and think I'd also love the improved AF.

Decisions, decisions.
agracer
AG
Yeah, I'd really like to get that Z6, but being it's 1st gen., the AF is not great for action (right now, firmware update could fix that...??), and 2x the cost of a D7500 I should probably just get a D7500 and look at mirrorless next summer once Nikon's g2 camera's have come out and sell the D7500.
Blue Duck
AG
It's been a little over a month since I made the jump to a Sony a7iii and I can't say enough good things about this camera. The auto focus is incredible, the silent shutter is perfect for what I need and the button layout makes it easy to work. I have the 24-105 and 70-300 lens and am looking at Sigma 150-600 and a mc-11 converter to make it work. I wish I would have bought this thing the day it came out. Here's a couple of my favorite pics from the last week or so.

javajaws
AG
OK, so I'm in the process of switching from Lightroom over to Capture One. In the process of doing so my storage/archival model needs...refining. So what does everyone else do as far as managing your mass of photos? Especially looking for input from anyone using Capture One as they have catalogs and sessions and I'd like to incorporate both into my workflow (Sessions mostly for tethered shooting).

Here's some bluebonnets from this year for your trouble:

thach
AG
I'm looking for a suggestion(s) for a smaller (but good) camera for a trip to Europe this summer.

I've got a DSLR (D700) with various lenses, etc., but it's bulky, and I do NOT want to lug it around.

I would like something with a decent optical zoom and good low light capabilities.

Probably a 24mm (35mm equivalent) to 200mm (35mm equiv.) or longer lens. f/2.8 would be great.

Resolution wise, I don't need or want super-high rez. 16MP is fine on the low end.

I'm willing to spend up to $1K, but less expensive is great.

Good battery performance is a must.

I don't care much about video.

Three ideas are:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1213207-REG/panasonic_dmc_zs100_s_lumix_dmc_zs100_digital_camera.html/reviews

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009156-REG/sony_dscrx10_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx10_digital_camera.html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159880-REG/sony_dsc_rx10_mark_2_digital.html

Thanks in advance!
Guitarsoup
AG
I have a folder system I use. I have way too many images to use any program like LR collections or anything like that.
MBAR
AG
javajaws said:

OK, so I'm in the process of switching from Lightroom over to Capture One. In the process of doing so my storage/archival model needs...refining. So what does everyone else do as far as managing your mass of photos? Especially looking for input from anyone using Capture One as they have catalogs and sessions and I'd like to incorporate both into my workflow (Sessions mostly for tethered shooting).

Here's some bluebonnets from this year for your trouble:

My TAMU student account allows me unlimited storage on Google Drive as someone pointed out earlier in this thread. I have that set up to automatically backup from the external I store everything on.

I do the same with Amazon backup as my prime membership lets me keep unlimited photos stored in the cloud as well.

Both of these came in handy recently as the external drive with my photos just died. It was super easy to restore it all, though.
hatchback
AG
And for the former students, our Aggienetwork email account provides us with the same benefit on Google.
nai06
AG
javajaws said:

nai06 said:

javajaws said:

nai06 said:

What are your thoughts on this camera?

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t30/specifications/

Using it for some travel/Instagram photos and maybe some headshots

I've got the big brother x-t3 and I love it. Fantastic system and the lenses are great. Nice middle ground between full frame and micro four thirds...perfect for travel while still being a quality system.

The cheaper kit zoom lens isn't bad...but I think the primes are really really good. For what you listed I'd suggest the 35 f/2 and 56 f/1.2 as a starting point.
My wife was looking at this and I wonder if we would be better off buying the body and a lens instead of the entire package

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Digital-18-55mm-Battery-Charger/dp/B07P7WY81G/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=FUJIFILM+X-T30&qid=1554084367&s=gateway&sr=8-2

That would be a steep price for that kit lens and junk accessories.

This is a much better combo deal...basically getting the 35mm prime for $100:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30csl2.html

Or this 2 lens combo:

https://www.adorama.com/ifjxt30ck1l2.html

Thanks for the advice. We went with the 2 lens kit from adorama and are loving it. Aside from the quality, the ability to wirelessly transfer directly to a phone is a game changer. Thanks again!
Raptor
AG
Can your clarify, " aside from the quality"?
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

flintdragon
AG
hatchback said:

And for the former students, our Aggienetwork email account provides us with the same benefit on Google.
Yep, I just started backing up to my network account. 6 days and counting. LOL. not even 50% complete
bthotugigem05
AG
Raptor said:

I think some of the wireless transfer functions will only send over a low-res jpg
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Raptor said:

I think some of the wireless transfer functions will only send over a low-res jpg
Bingo!

I get a smaller color corrected JPG file when I use the wireless function on my Canon 70D.

It is not the huge raw file that is on the SD card.
hatchback
AG
When I was reading up on this function for my Sony A7rii, you have to shoot in RAW+jpeg to get a higher resolution photo to transfer to your phone. If shooting only RAW, a low-res jpg "preview file" will be transferred to your phone. Might be different for other cameras but could be worth a try.
Raptor
AG
Any recommendations for the best (not necessarily) cheapest photography website for hosting and selling photos to individuals?

• Low monthly fee is ideal
  • Private folders for separate events
  • Being able to order prints for the customer a plus
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

dubi
AG
I use Smugmug and have been very happy.

They have top notch customer service.
HECUBUS
AG
I've been using smugmug for about a year and a half. I've never used customer support, but it's good enough. I've been too lazy to build my own and it's cheap enough that I don't have much incentive.

People seem to be able to figure out how to download the full resolution photos they want. It's the best available option I've seen.
nai06
AG
Raptor said:

Sorry I meant to imply it's a great camera. Photos are great and it feels well built without being too heavy.
nai06
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Raptor said:

The wireless transfer function has a lower res and full resolution option
TexasAggie_02
AG
canon 80D on sale (new, body only)

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/canon-digital-slr-camera-body-eos-80d?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_3
BMo
I bought a used, like new, low mileage D500 a few months ago and have enjoyed using it with a Tamron 150-600 g2 but will likely be selling it. I have a new Sony a9 being added when it gets here tomorrow. They were discounted $1,000 already and I went to Greentoe and made lower offers and the retailer accepted my one counteroffer. I was shocked. Looking forward to this camera. A short lens will finally go on the a7RIII.
UpstateAg
AG
Best Buy has the kit I bought for $100 cheaper then I got it, which is saying something since target price matched a refurbished Amazon model. Taking mine back to target today since they give three months. I've been messing around with the mirrorless models lately, and I like them. Is there a 6000 too basic?
BMo
UpstateAg said:

Best Buy has the kit I bought for $100 cheaper then I got it, which is saying something since target price matched a refurbished Amazon model. Taking mine back to target today since they give three months. I've been messing around with the mirrorless models lately, and I like them. Is there a 6000 too basic?
Are you talking about this? Sony a6000
First Page Last Page
Page 64 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.