Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

412,268 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
Bighamp03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I settled on the 6dii because of the better focus system, faster frame rate, and Dual Pixel CMOS for video. I have young kids and they move fast.

I want to go FF for two reasons. My best glass by far is the 70-200. I'm not spending $2000 on another lens anytime soon, and a FF would give me more useable focal length with my 70-200. I am (was) unable to shoot with it on my 70d because it was too long far more than it not being long enough. And I could get a teleconverter for it, which would maximize useable focus length with my best lens.

Second reason is because there is no good standard zoom option for EF-S. I have no problem spending $800 on the 17-55 2.8, but it isn't dust sealed. I like to bring my camera to the beach, fishing, in the rain , etc. The Tamron was OK but I broke it twice (zoom ring). I want to be able to use my stuff without worrying about it.

The 24-70L or 24-105L is too long on a crop.

I think the 6d is too slow for kids. Is that valid? Should I save up a little more for a used 5diii? Or 6d for now (there are some really good deals) and save up for a 5div when they come down in price.
TexAgsAnon
You should watch some 6D mkii video samples. The 1080 video it produces is BAD by any objective measure.

My 6D tracked my kid just fine in servo mode with good glass. The mkii AF points are all scrunched to the middle of the frame which sucks (they squished the 80D AF into full frame with no adjustments).

None of this is to mention the mkii has worse dynamic range than the 6D somehow.
scrimp
AG
Anyone have recommendations for a tripod/monopod and a flash unit? I have a Nikon D3400. Still in the beginner phase of photography. Mainly taking pictures of the kids sports and other standard family stuff. I don't mind spending money for quality, but it seems like there is a huge range on both flashes and tripods...
Guitarsoup
AG
Unless you are doing night photography where you are doing long exposures, you likely don't need a tripod. Unless you have really long, heavy lenses like a 400 2.8, you likely don't need a monopod

For flashes I like the SB-700 for Nikon branded or Godex for off-brand
tk for tu juan
This is what I have. It is both a tripod and monopod, small, and lightweight.
MeFOTO Roadtrip
http://a.co/1C37ZKt
TexasAggie_02
AG
I have a 6D mk 1 and love it for the most part. I bought it in 2014 before kids were on my radar (i mostly do/did landscapes, which it is perfect for).

I now have a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old, and it does good enough. I use a Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 for most of my kid pics. The Tamron seems to miss focus more often than the sigma does. I plan on getting the Canon 70-200 2.8 sometime later this year (been sticking $100/mo to the side for camera-related purchases).

I generally just use my phone for most day to day pics, but once a month i take a portrait of the the kids with my 6D.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

tripod/monopod

Roadtrip. Don't have one but am getting one this spring.
bthotugigem05
AG
My mefoto Globetrotter has been with me around the world and the dang thing just keeps on living, I'm about to get another one I've liked it to much.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sigma sucks.

https://www.diyphotography.net/how-a-sigma-art-lens-messed-up-my-ferrari-photo-shoot/
tk for tu juan
He should have just used the live composite feature on the EM-1 mkII (joining the other armchair qbs in the comment section)
dubi
AG
Did the photographer mess up? Or was it really the lens?
TexAgsAnon
It was likely the fact that he was using a tripod (not his mistake).

Never use OIS when on a tripod, as it leads to a feedback loop of the lens trying to stabilize and failing.

It's Sigma's fault for not "fully" turning off OIS when it's marked as off, ultimately, but he didn't know that until it was too late.
Bighamp03
AG
Bighamp03 said:

I don't know what to do.

I lost my camera and 2 lenses in NYC. 70d, Tamron 17-50 2.8, and the 24mm pancake. My 50 1.4 and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II were safe at home. I had a rider on my homeowner's for my camera stuff, but I moved a month earlier and forgot to add it to my new homeowners.

I lost all of my EF-S lenses but one (the 10-22mm), so it seems like a good time to jump to full frame. I decided on the 6dii (with a 24-105 F/4 II L) over the 7dii or 5diii. But there aren't any deals. Seeing what they sold for over Christmas is making it hard to pay substantially more. So I've been waiting.

And then the Sony A7III was announced. On paper it makes the 6dii look like a joke. But I've never had a mirrorless so I'm unaware if there are any tradeoffs. The Sony 24-70 "walk-around" gets mixed reviews. And I'd have to sell my precious (70-200) or get an adapter.

Thoughts? I need to just make a damn decision.

I ended up buying a 7dii and the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. I went through my Lightroom catalog and I take a lot of photos of the kids in action. I also miss these shots because of timing, and most of my shots overall because of focus and switching settings, so the additional custom modes and focus point joystick will be nice.

I most wanted to go FF so I could get a "durable" 24-70 or 24-105L over the EF-S, but the EF-S has great IQ and I can buy 3 of them for the price of the FF equivalent 24-70 f/2.8

With the grand I saved on this kit and not having to buy a FF equivalent 17-40 or 16-35 for my 10-22, I'm going to buy more glass and an SL2 backup/travel camera. Maybe the Macro 100 or 24mm, or 85mm prime.

I really wanted to go FF, but in the end I couldn't make the trade-off/$ decision to do it.
TexAgsAnon
A used 24-70 2.8 is $650.

A used 24-70 2.8 mkII is about $1350.

I'm assuming you bought your zoom new, so really, you could have gotten the FF equivalent (and a much nicer lens) for about $400 extra.

All that said, there's really no good full frame for your use case except the 5D mk 3 or mk4 right now, so I think you did ok.

Glad you avoided the 6D mkII
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

A used 24-70 2.8 is $650.

A used 24-70 2.8 mkII is about $1350.
The first 24-70 is complete garbage. Don't get it at all.

The EF-S 17-55 2.8 is a better lens.
flintdragon
AG
No one cares but I was at my daughter's volleyball tournament last weekend in Houston taking pictures as usual. I was finishing up with their last game when Tim Duncan walked in front of me and ducked below my 70-200mm. ">

Cool story I know right....
bthotugigem05
AG
What did he think about your lens? What was he shooting with? Ankles?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Sigma announces nine Sony E-mount Lenses

This is making my decision easier!
flintdragon
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

What did he think about your lens? What was he shooting with? Ankles?
It's the second tournament that I've seen him. He basically keeps a very low profile and ducks out as quietly as he can.
twk
AG
This thread may be a little out of my depth, but I'll give it a shot.

I take photos while traveling, and gave up SLR's years ago (back before they were DLSR's) due to the size. The compact cameras have gotten pretty good, and I really liked the last one I bought, a Nikon Coolpix (I think it was the A900, or the equivalent to it) because it had a 30x optical zoom lens and integrated GPS. Now, it seems that no one is making a camera with that combination. I can get GPS, but it's either a waterproof camera with less lens, or a larger body that doesn't fit into a pocket--at least that I have found.

Anyone have any idea why the market seems to have regressed on the GPS feature? I really loved that.
TexAgsAnon
The X-H1 finally rolled in! Overall the grip is a massive improvement, but it's firmly in DSLR size territory now, albeit on the small side still. The improved standoff of the eyecup and the new display screen on top are all nice improvements, and the feather-touch shutter is stupid quiet. Would have no qualms shooting burst in a church with it.

Much improved AF-On button placement and resistance for backbutton focus, and the EVF getting 50% more pixels is a nice gain.

Highly doubt many X-T1 and X-T2 fans would switch over to it, given how radical the body tweaks are, but for my uses and huge hands, all great improvements.
bthotugigem05
AG
How do you like the top LCD screen?
Guitarsoup
AG
twk said:

I take photos while traveling, and gave up SLR's years ago (back before they were DLSR's) due to the size. The compact cameras have gotten pretty good, and I really liked the last one I bought, a Nikon Coolpix (I think it was the A900, or the equivalent to it) because it had a 30x optical zoom lens and integrated GPS. Now, it seems that no one is making a camera with that combination. I can get GPS, but it's either a waterproof camera with less lens, or a larger body that doesn't fit into a pocket--at least that I have found.

Anyone have any idea why the market seems to have regressed on the GPS feature? I really loved that.
You are looking for the Nikon Coolpix P900.
TexAgsAnon
bthotugigem05 said:

How do you like the top LCD screen?
Very readable, white text on black looks awesome, and very handy to quickly see battery/SD status when the cam is turned off. Can't tell you how many times I stupidly left my SD card in my PC reader on my older bodies when heading out. Adjusting the exposure is still super easy (hold down compensation button, rotate back dial with thumb) so losing the dedicated dial is no biggie to me.

That screen is much closer to e-ink than LCD. Also awesome that's it's fully customizable, vs something like a Canon backlit screen.
dubi
AG
Guitarsoup said:

twk said:

You are looking for the Nikon Coolpix P900.
Walmart has it $143 cheaper if Tri State Camera can be trusted.

Link
TexAgsAnon
So one bit about a feather touch shutter release that I did not consider is...shooting in continuous drive/burst, you pop off 3-4 shots before you even realize you're pushing that shutter release down.

With a camera that can take 11 frames per second, I can see a TON of accidental shots at the beginning of the burst.

I love it for single shot though.
bthotugigem05
AG
I rented a Sony a9 for a football game I was covering. Shooting 20fps when you didn't realize it is all fun and games until you have to sort through 7700 pictures afterward.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I rented a Sony a9 for a football game I was covering. Shooting 20fps when you didn't realize it is all fun and games until you have to sort through 7700 pictures afterward.

LMAO!

Especially in silent shutter mode when you don't know if you're taking pictures
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

This is funny!
AggieDruggist89
AG
It really is ridiculous. My Olympus Em1. 2 does 60fps electronic shutter. I tried once. Too many shots too fast. So I use the low mode at 18 fps with C-AF. Shot 700 shots in few minutes. So I quit.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

What lens did you use?
bthotugigem05
AG
70-200 for the most part [waiting for GuitarSoup to come along and say I should've used a 400 2.8]
Lavender Gooms
AG
We just had this photo printed out and while it looked really good on my laptop's monitor, when it printed out, the building (and I guess the whole photo itself) was a decent amount darker. This definitely reduced the delineation between the vertical wood members on the left side of the building.

How do you make sure what you see on a computer monitor will be as close to what you'll get when you have it printed?

Thanks!

Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

70-200 for the most part [waiting for GuitarSoup to come along and say I should've used a 400 2.8]
I would but you shoot Sony.
Absolute
AG
I have a question regarding best camera settings for my Phantom 4Pro drone for use on roof inspections. My process has been to video the roof survey then review on the computer. Mainly because seeing little details onsite in sunlight on the iPad can be tough. I have played around with the settings, but despite some basic research don't really know what I am doing with them and how they work together.

So primarily I am looking at the typical composition roof shingles. Trying to see little minor defects in a field of color that blends together.

Any thoughts on the best camera settings (maybe multiple ones based on sun/cloudy conditions.? Perhaps filters that I might purchase and use that would be helpful over the basic lens cover that is on the unit?
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.