Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,216 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those looking for good deals on lenses, Nikon has a refurb. store on their web site. The warranty is only 90-days, but if you use your AMEX or VISA (check the fine print) they will extend any product warranty 1-year over the original.

I had my old D50 repaired 18-months after I purchased it and AMEX covered the $250 charge from Nikon (not shipping though) way back in 2006.
TexAgsAnon
Rumored price on the X-H1 is $1899, which is only $300 more than the X-T2. For the spec bump you get, looking well worth the money.
TexAgsAnon
All leaked specs and the $1899 price have been confirmed. Available March 1.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-h1-first-impressions-review
bthotugigem05
AG
Excellent video camera, impressive bitrate as well. Here's hoping the rumored 180-degree flip screen and 4K@60fps of the Sony a6700 turn out to be true.
TexAgsAnon
I just put my X-T2 up for sale on Fred Miranda and will be pre-ordering this if it sells. Solves a lot of my ergonomic issues and IBIS is a killer upgrade.
tk for tu juan
Rented the new Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 m4/3 lens for this weekend of A&M sports (track, baseball, softball, and swimming). Kinda excited to see how this works with the EM-1 mkII.
dubi
AG
Full-Frame Shootout: Sony a7R III vs. Nikon D850 vs. Canon 5D IV

AggieDruggist89
AG
You converting to Nikon?
AggieDruggist89
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Rented the new Panasonic 200mm f/2.8 m4/3 lens for this weekend of A&M sports (track, baseball, softball, and swimming). Kinda excited to see how this works with the EM-1 mkII.

Love my E-M1.2!

Have you tried 300mm F4?
dubi
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

You converting to Nikon?
Nope

Amateur photographers are limited by their brain and not the hardware.
tk for tu juan
AggieDruggist89 said:

tk for tu juan said:

Love my E-M1.2!

Have you tried 300mm F4?

I have not tried the 300mm F4 yet. I was waiting for the outdoor track season to try it. I did buy a used 50-200mm SWD f2.8-3.5 with an m4/3 adaptor. It is may second favorite lens to use so far, right behind the 75mm f1.8. The 75mm f1.8 is a nice indoor sports lens when you are trying to go small/light as possible and can get somewhat close.

One problem with the 50-200mm is the mechanical shutter with C-AF is limited to around 5fps. The elec shutter with C-AF is around 10fps
AggieDruggist89
AG
I shot basketball (imo harder venue to shoot) with M1.2 and 75mm 1.8. I shot with e-shutter at low fps. Focus wasn't an issue rather It was my 2nd time shooting basketball and the unpredictable moves were difficult for me to shoot.

MBAR
AG
That last kid has style! lol
dubi
AggieDruggist89
AG
dubi said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

You converting to Nikon?
Nope

Amateur photographers are limited by their brain and not the hardware.
I look at Photography differently and at the same time agree. Great photographers professional and amateur are artists who use photography equipment (including post processing) to create art. Their great work isn't great because they have great equipment.

Then there are people like me.. a guy with a camera who takes pictures. I'm no artist. My PP pictures are adequate at best. Then there are bunch of weekend pros who take youth sports pictures... some are good and some are like me.. they have cameras and lenses and they take pictures. I could probably do it. But I don't want to.

Having said that, if Ansel Adams was alive today, he'd be a master post processor as in his days, his darkroom work was unsurpassed in addition to his great camera work.

I will keep playing with gadgets. I believe it keeps our mind sharp. One of my mentors, now 70, always tinkers with electronics for the past 15 years I have known him. And his mind is super sharp. I like to credit his tinkering with gadgets ... and use that as an excuse to keep buying and selling stuff.
tk for tu juan
The Panasonic 200mm f2.8 worked pretty good with the E-M1 mk II. I struggled with it during the track meet since I mainly use a 70-200mm or 135mm on a full frame camera; suddenly trying to follow the movement with an equivalent 400mm lens made it hard to keep the focus spot near the face. I had slightly more success during today's Aggie baseball game. Naturally since it is not a native Olympus lens, some features like Pro-capture did not work.

It is not as sharp as the 75mm f1.8, but I do not have steady hands and tend to jerk the camera when releasing the shutter.

Below is a gallery with the images from today's baseball game that were edited using Lightroom auto settings, dehaze tool, and cropped/rotated.

https://juantrackmind.smugmug.com/2018-Baseball/Aggies-vs-Rhode-Island-Sun

AggieDruggist89
AG
Thumbs up for u43!
tk for tu juan
It's your photo of the E-M1 with a 40-150 f2.8 sitting next to a Canon 1D with a 70-200 that started me down this path. I will probably still use my Canon for the indoor meets, but once outdoor season starts I will definitely use the E-M1 the most.
MBAR
AG
I do think that technology can't make up for lack of skill in a lot of areas in photography, but I think there is a big exception: dynamic range and low light. Having a better sensor that works well in low light situations will dramatically improve your shots in those situations all other things being equal.

I think for people who need that, avoiding Canon is a good idea. I started in the Canon world and I don't want to sell my 6d as its not terrible by any means, but I do wish I had a Nikon equivalent and I'll probably make the switch the next time I decide to upgrade. Canon really let me down with the 6d II.
AggieDruggist89
AG
tk for tu juan said:

It's your photo of the E-M1 with a 40-150 f2.8 sitting next to a Canon 1D with a 70-200 that started me down this path. I will probably still use my Canon for the indoor meets, but once outdoor season starts I will definitely use the E-M1 the most.

Well, I am dropping off my 11 year old Canon 1D Mark 3 at the Costa Mesa Canon service center to get the shutter count. I am curious to find out. Quite frankly, I really don't know what to do with the camera has it's not worth selling it but I don't really use it that often either.
AggieDruggist89
AG
MBAR said:

I do think that technology can't make up for lack of skill in a lot of areas in photography, but I think there is a big exception: dynamic range and low light. Having a better sensor that works well in low light situations will dramatically improve your shots in those situations all other things being equal.

I think for people who need that, avoiding Canon is a good idea. I started in the Canon world and I don't want to sell my 6d as its not terrible by any means, but I do wish I had a Nikon equivalent and I'll probably make the switch the next time I decide to upgrade. Canon really let me down with the 6d II.

Don't let the brand inhibit your creativity.
Guitarsoup
AG
This test is one of the reasons why I switched. I really like being able to intentionally underexpose then bring it up in post where I want.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html
agracer
AG
MBAR said:

Pro Photographers didn't have the technology they do now and still go great shots in low light. Hell, film was not as good as sensors today and they still got great shots.
bthotugigem05
AG
Seems like a better place to post this than Classifieds. I'm selling my Sony a6500. APS-C sensor body, shoots 4K at up to 30fps and 120fps slow-motion in 1080p. On the stills side it shoots 24MP raws at up to 10fps and has in-body image stabilization.

I bought it on release day and have had it in my possession ever since. No drops and it's taken great pics for me all around the world. Asking $1000, located in Dallas.

I'll include a total of 2 Sony batteries, body only.

TexAgsAnon
Your pricing is pretty fair, but LNIB units go for around $950 on Fred Miranda, just FYI.
bthotugigem05
AG
Yep, well aware. If there's no interest I'll re-evaluate but I think it's a fair price, especially with a $50 extra battery.
MBAR
AG
agracer said:

MBAR said:

Pro Photographers didn't have the technology they do now and still go great shots in low light. Hell, film was not as good as sensors today and they still got great shots.
Sure, but the point is that technology can lower the bar. You have a lot more margin for error with a new Nikon sensor in low light than you do with film or a Canon sensor.

Take Milky Way shots. On my old T3i, I would have to be as wide as possible for 30 seconds on a high ISO that put in TON of noise to get a good exposure. I had to be wide open which tends to soften the focus.

On my 6d, I can afford to stop down and take a shorter exposure that shortens star trails (or eliminates them) even at a high ISO. Equivilant Nikon FF cameras can do even better. So while photographers can capture the Milky Way with film and an old camera, there's no argument to be made that can say that a newer sensor will do better.

When I"m storm chasing, I don't have time to set my exposure settings perfectly. If I have a tornado on the ground near dusk, I want to make sure the sensor I have is capable of capturing as much information as possible because it's likely that my exposures will be off (even if I bracket) and I'll want to be able to pull up as much in post as possible.

A newer sensor won't fix a bad composition for you but it does definitely give you more leway in certain situations where you don't have a large margin of error and you don't have forever to setup.
Guitarsoup
AG
agracer said:

MBAR said:

The standards have changed and shots that were considered great years ago would often end up in the trash today. Significantly more is expected from photographers now than before in large part because of the technological advances.
tk for tu juan
Since Panasonic is an official sponsor of the Olympics, I'm assuming we will see a non-consumer version of this being used at Tokyo 2020.

https://m.dpreview.com/news/1440456457/panasonic-unveils-industry-first-8k-organic-image-sensor-with-global-shutter

It will be a technology orgy for that Olympic Games.
AggieDruggist89
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Since Panasonic is an official sponsor of the Olympics, I'm assuming we will see a non-consumer version of this being used at Tokyo 2020.

https://m.dpreview.com/news/1440456457/panasonic-unveils-industry-first-8k-organic-image-sensor-with-global-shutter

It will be a technology orgy for that Olympic Games.

If u43 keeps this up, it will rid of my Sony Envy. Of course I have flirted with Sony and comparing the video quality, Sony a6300 120fps 1080 is superior than any u43 I have today.

Still waiting for a good 120fps u43 video camera.
TexAgsAnon
X-T2 is sold and shipped, X-H1 is preordered! Can't wait to try out the IBIS.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

You have a bad case of GAS.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think I beat almost everyone in that department...[looks at new Westcott Flex Light kit]
TexAgsAnon
AggieDruggist89 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

You have a bad case of GAS.
In more ways than one!
Guitarsoup
AG
Mine would look much worse if I didn't have two kids.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.