Cities: Skylines

10,094 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by JJxvi
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Developer Diary #1: Road Tools
Lathspell
AG
I was watching the City Planner Plays YouTube channel as he went over this developer diary to get his thoughts on it. Very good changes, it seems.
JJxvi
AG
BonfireNerd04
CS2's release is scheduled for October 24.
JJxvi
AG
This is what Ive been waiting for in these. We'll have to see if it all works but I love the framework of a more robust and realistic economic simulation.

Cromagnum
AG
JJxvi said:

I hope they code in opportunity for massive wrecks. Some of those clowns drive like it's the 59 interchange onto 610
CrottyKid
AG
The road maintenance budget is going to be hard to control!
Cromagnum
AG
CrottyKid said:

I just want a mayor that tells everyone to cheeeeeeeeell when crime starts getting too bad.
JJxvi
AG
It seems they are also fixing an annoying issue I had with CS with the non-renewable resource deposits. Based on a developer response, the resources like oil and ore, etc that deplete will do so much slower in CS2 and the resource depletion will be a gradual drop in extraction efficiency rather than having the extractors just suddenly stop working when the resource runs out.
Steampunk-Kangaroo
Kampfers said:

Surely there is someone else on this board who has found the crack addiction simulation that is cities:skylines.

After working on highway interchanges in my city of a mere 15,000 people until midnight last night, I realized I might have a problem. Namely, that studying civil engineering instead of history would have made me a lot better at this damn game.

For those unaware, the game is essentially what everyone wanted the most recent simcity to be. The modding community is great, tons of awesome mods and user-created buildings available and the game's only been out for around 2 weeks. Definitely worth a look-in if you haven't heard of it.

Share your creations! I'll try and get a few screenshots of my city here after work.
Oh man I remember that game! I had to uninstall it to make room for Team Fortress 2 and Source Filmmaker (they both take up a lot of disk space and I also have The Sims 4, which also eats up disk space like there's no tomorrow, especially when you have a low capacity SSD) but I used to absolutely love it.

If you're bored I recommend watching RTGame's videos about Cities: Skylines. They're really funny! I used to replicate a lot of the challenges he did, and sometimes come up with my own. I have a friend who made his city using almost nothing but roundabouts for the streets and I wanna try that challenge too, if I ever get a new SSD that's big enough to hold SFM, TF2, The Sims 4 and Cities: Skylines all at once.
--- Go and try, you'll never break me! ---
Decay
AG
CrottyKid said:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!
JJxvi
AG
Content creators allowed to release beta gameplay videos starting today.

JJxvi
AG
Launch trailer - game releases in a week.

Teslag
AG
Anyone played yet? Reviews seem kinda down.
BadMoonRisin
AG

Quote:

As Colossal Order warned before the game's launch, Skylines 2 has performance issues. Some tinkering with default settings improved my fps but at the cost of lowering the level of detail or disabling systems like depth of field. I experienced a lot of random fps dips, slowdowns and hitches, and sometimes complete freezes that lasted a few seconds, along with visual issues like irritating shadow-flickering on certain buildings. Sometimes just trying to place large buildingsand Cities: Skylines 2 has some stunningly large buildingswill tank my fps to single digits until I've clicked them into place. I also had several crashes to desktop in the past week of playing.
Quote:

As you'd guess, the bigger the city gets the more severe performance issues become. When one of my cities reached a population of about 45,000which isn't even close to as big as these cities can getI decided to abandon it and start a new one because my frames dropped to a choppy 30 fps, at best, when zooming in close enough to build. That's disappointingmy CPU is somewhere between the minimum and recommended specs but my GPU is a brand new RTX 4070 Ti and I'd hoped for a smoother experience. Which isn't to say I'm not optimistic for the futureI expect plenty of optimization of Cities: Skylines 2 to occur post-launch. But for right now, it's a bit rough

Gonna be a wait for me.
javajaws
AG
Glad I didn't preorder. I'll wait a year for the fixes and half price sale
Lathspell
AG
I'm waiting for bug fixes. CityPlannerplays is great for city skylines content, and he seems to like the game. His channel is the one that got me to buy the first one and sink over 200 hours into it.
Dawnguard
AG
If you have gamepass, it's a day 1 availability game. (Pc or ultimate level).

I'll probably lose the weekend to it.
JJxvi
AG
Havent played yet but have it loaded. Already know and expect to have to play with the setting lower. I completely understand bad reviews from people with older hardware. I just laugh at the large group of people who rage and have like a 4090 who apparently havent really even tried to actually get in and play the game with their high dollar machine but instead apparently just turn it off and rant about the fps number or that they wont play it unless its 4k or whatever that seem to be a large portion of angry reviews.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.