Cities: Skylines

10,089 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by JJxvi
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surely there is someone else on this board who has found the crack addiction simulation that is cities:skylines.

After working on highway interchanges in my city of a mere 15,000 people until midnight last night, I realized I might have a problem. Namely, that studying civil engineering instead of history would have made me a lot better at this damn game.

For those unaware, the game is essentially what everyone wanted the most recent simcity to be. The modding community is great, tons of awesome mods and user-created buildings available and the game's only been out for around 2 weeks. Definitely worth a look-in if you haven't heard of it.

Share your creations! I'll try and get a few screenshots of my city here after work.
farmer2010
AG
http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2607826

I haven't picked it up yet, but do want.
Ganondorf
AG
I've never been one to play city builder games but picked this up on Saturday and went to sleep at 5AM that night.

Traffic at the highway is something I need to YouTube to see how to fix it. I'm on my second city with each having different problems and just trying to figure out how everything works. My city is around 15k population and traffic really starts to be an issue now.

What I had seen before getting the game is to use a lot of 1 way streets to control the traffic but the services (fire/police/medical) don't show their sphere of influence far down the 1 ways so I'm not sure if that's a bug or if they can't get there at all.
Kampfers
AG
Traffic Guide

This helps. A lot. You can get highway interchanges from the steam workshop that will save you a lot of time in terms of creating your own. Just be aware that a number of them sacrifice utility for aesthetics. You also may want to take a look at the Traffic Report Tool 1.2 mod, which has helped me identify problems.

I've tried to avoid the cliches (every intersection a roundabout, or an entirely perfect grid, or just using modular "stamps" someone uploaded to the workshop to lay down roadway) and let my city grow organically. Pedestrian walkways are your friend though, they can really cut down on traffic if done right. I have 2 districts that have virtually no traffic due to their walkability despite them being entirely high density residential/commercial/offices.

My biggest weakness right now is maximizing the utility of public transit. That's going to require a major overhaul tonight.
Ganondorf
AG
I think I added the traffic report tool but didn't look to see how it worked. I did create a ton of metro lines and will have to check if that makes a big difference.

I have added some walkways but the slopes never seem to work out right and the walkway looks weird. Guess I need to research that as well.

The problem I have with the traffic in the game is how there can be a completely viable 2nd way to get somewhere and no one takes it because the clogged up route is the shortest. They should let us have a traffic helicopter flying around giving news reports so people can travel alternate routes as well.
The Collective
AG
My citizens need to learn how to check the traffic map before getting on the road.
GoneForGood
Absolutely love this game. I tend to try and make my city as realistic as possible with certain districts and mass transit for the workers.
Teslag
AG
It still amazes me that the creators of SimCity 5 just didn't simply give the user base what they wanted.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I downloaded Blender because I thought it'd be fun to make my own buildings and add them to the game. Then I quickly realized that I have absolutely no idea how to work the program.
04texag
AG
You guys should check out the forums on simtropolis. great threads and tips, and especially check out the city journals. lots of cool cities being built and you can learn a lot of tips by seeing how others are doing it.
Predmid
AG
I don't have high hopes that a real "Sim CIty" will ever be made again now that Maxis has been dissolved by EA.
GoneForGood
The auto bulldoze mod is fantastic. It bulldozes abandoned and burnt buildings
Ganondorf
AG
I agree, that mod is great.

Apparently Texas roadways are unique enough that there's tons of intersections on the workshop and even roads specifically labeled as Texas highway with frontage road. Do other states not have these things?
hph6203
AG
There are states that don't. Travelled to Charlotte and Hartford and they're pretty much strictly on/off and no streets running parallel to the freeway.
Ganondorf
AG
At what point do you think your city isn't worth redevelopment and start over? My first one I started anew at 10k because I didn't know what I was doing.

I'm at 25k on the new one and I'd have to tear up a lot of area to rebuild roads to fix traffic and I'm wondering if it's just time to use another strategy.
TravelAg2004
AG
I so want to play this game, but I'm terrified it's going to cost me days and weeks of my life!
Ewok It Out08
AG
Remember to use a road hierarchy to help distribute your global traffic. It's not so much one way roads (although these are helpful), but understanding how the ai values a path. In general, think Highway (tier 1) -> 6/4 lane to distribute off highway and major areas (tier 2) -> 2 lane roads.
PeekingDuck
AG
quote:
I agree, that mod is great.

Apparently Texas roadways are unique enough that there's tons of intersections on the workshop and even roads specifically labeled as Texas highway with frontage road. Do other states not have these things?
It is actually fairly unique. Don't miss your exit in rural Pennsylvania is all I've got to say...
Kampfers
AG
quote:
At what point do you think your city isn't worth redevelopment and start over? My first one I started anew at 10k because I didn't know what I was doing.

I'm at 25k on the new one and I'd have to tear up a lot of area to rebuild roads to fix traffic and I'm wondering if it's just time to use another strategy.
I'd either restart, or expand to a new area of the map. That way you can make the new area ideal, and it will bring in revenue so that when you destroy the old portion for renovations, you won't run out of cash-flow. The problem with completely starting over is it means limited funds, no income, and you've got to unlock everything again.

Best mods (imo, I run with these as my base setup):
Automatic Bulldoze
Traffic Report Tool 1.2
City Statistics Easy Access
Extended Public Transport UI
All 25 areas purchasable
ChirpFilter
Mod Achievement Enabler

there are some good mods for graphical improvements as well, but I haven't really used them as I'm not playing on exactly a powerhouse gaming rig.
Ganondorf
AG
I'm tempted to test some graphical mods but comments about them suggest a lot of bugs still. Stuff like ambient occlusion disabling saving assets and such.
Teacher_Ag
AG
My city is having a lot of issues of industrial locations closing due to lack of natural resources. How do I fix that?
Predmid
AG
If it is ore or oil, once it is gone, it is gone.

I think you can import more raw materials from neighboring areas and turn it into a processing facility instead of a mining area.

Forest & Agricultural industries renewable though.

Ganondorf
AG
Trains or shipping might get more resources to your industry. Also having a direct highway line to your industry area might be helpful getting trucks there.
JJxvi
AG
Cities:Skylines 2 was just announced by Paradox and Colossal Order
Lathspell
AG
Oh *****

I only discovered Cities Skylines last year, and have about 200 hours in it. Love sitting on the couch and playing with a podcast or show on.
Pman17
AG
JJxvi
AG
What baffles me about that trailer, is how that segmented ring logo actually reads as a "C" and an "S" somehow even though there definitely is actually no coherent S shape at all.
All I do is Nguyen
So in for this!!!!! I've dumped close to 100 hours in this game
Lathspell
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So in for this!!!!! I've dumped close to 100 hours in this game
JJxvi
AG
JJxvi
AG
Looks fantastic. Looks like we are getting a ton of improvements in the vanilla game from a lot of the functionality we used get from mods, some stuff that previously came from DLCs, and some things that pull from the small amount of good ideas that were in the ****ty Sim City 2013.

I like how in a lot of ways its basically the same game, but it looks like much of the cartoony veneer has been peeled away in favor of more realism.
Lathspell
AG
Not near enough forum participation on this game. I cannot wait. Unfortunately, I will only be a month into Starfield, so I will have to wait on jumping into CS2. However, this will become my new goto for kicking back and relaxing in the evenings.

Everything looks great, so far.
Decay
AG
My PC died and I've been trying to fix it for a month now. I don't have time to play much these days but now it's guaranteed I'm going to waste a bunch of time in this and the sequel.

My favorite part was expanding the map and having "old town" where it's more of a mix of types and you were limited by funds and space. You get attached to interesting areas and I love trying new ideas for traffic, zoning, public transportation, new mods, etc. Especially when they don't work well because even the worst layouts can usually be tweaked and upgraded to work out.
BonfireNerd04
Predmid said:

And it goes quickly.
Lathspell
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

Predmid said:

And it goes quickly.
Yeah, this is why I always played with unlimited resources. The mechanic of running out of those was too goofy and not very realistic.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.