Any board game players out there?

5,961 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by heddleston
tamuangry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll admit it started out with poker. Then Settlers of Catan was introduced as the gateway drug. Now I found myself with games like Power Grid, Firefly, Race for the Galaxy and others in my collection and I'm always looking for more players...Any Houston area gamers out there?
Jackass2004
AG
I do, but not in a dump-a-Rooney of Houston. Only Dallas.
Ganondorf
AG
Austin here.
Post removed:
by user
Teacher_Ag
AG
Pandemic is really fun. Cooperative rather than competitive. Lots of strategy and teamwork.
C-2ag99
AG
Moving to Austin in July. Would love to join a board game group.....even better if they're Ags!
Teacher_Ag
AG
Well, C-2, don't add the Bilansky crew to your list. They cheat at games, and they're freakin sips.
RebAg13
C-2ag99
javajaws
AG
I'm in Austin and always up for gaming. I have quite a few board games.
T Bow
Heroscape
testosterbone
AG
Hungry Hungry Hippos & Candy Land
heisatouchdown
AG
I played "King of Tokyo" which is pretty awesome and games can range from 10 to 40 mins. I'd be down to Houston board game sometime if there are enough people. The only other one I've played is the "normal" board game of discussion (Catan).
DanHo2010
AG
If you haven't checked out boardgamearena.com, you really need to.
Knife Wrench
AG
Waco here

My friends and I had always played board games, but it was usually the trivia/party type stuff (Cranium, Bezzerwizzer, Scattergories, Catch Phrase). Then, I think it was on this forum about a year and a half ago, someone posted about Wil Wheaton and TableTop. I checked out the Pandemic episode first, watched the rest, and board gaming has been one of my hobbies ever since.

Currently, we have a solid weekly group of about 8-10 whose houses we rotate playing at and the group sometimes goes up to 13 or 14. With those numbers we usually just end up playing a lot of the social deduction games like Resistance/Resistance: Avalon/Werewolves/Saboteur/2 Rooms and a Boom, but we'll sometimes break up into smaller groups and play:

Takenoko
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Pandemic
Letters from Whitechapel
Ticket to Ride
Smash Up
No Thanks!
Love Letter
Settlers of Catan
Forbidden Island
King of Tokyo
Stone Age

I also have Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island that's only been played a few times. It's a really tough coop that I've played solo a few times without success.

I'm currently waiting on Memoir '44 and Shadows Over Camelot to come in the mail. A friend of mine got the Battlestar Galactica board game, but we haven't had the numbers or time to get that played yet.

If any of you are in Waco or passing through, the Game Closet is a great store with all kinds of games. They also have all of the disc golf stuff you could want. It's a great little store and I'm glad this terrible town has been able to support it as long as it has.

[This message has been edited by Knife Wrench (edited 3/14/2014 11:07a).]
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
Hungry Hungry Hippos & Candy Land
C-2ag99
AG
I've loved strategy games like Risk since I was a little kid...now have young ones of my own. I got a few new games for Christmas for the family (King of Tokyo, the Resistance, Dominion, Bohnanza, Love Letter, Sabateur, Nexus Ops, Summoner Wars, No Thanks, Bang) and also started watching all The Dice Tower top 10 videos on youtube and it's got me hooked on the hobby! Next on the list is Star Wars X Wing Miniatures game! Can't wait to find a good gaming group and nerd out.

[This message has been edited by C-2ag99 (edited 3/14/2014 1:03p).]
tamuangry
Make sure you check out the "Watch it Played" youtube channel. I recommend watching the Kemet tutorial and playthrough.

Anyone want to join our gaming group send an email to tamuangry AT yahoo DOT com.

We usually play Fridays from 9 pm until 2 am. We meet on the west side of town between Katy and Sugar Land.
Brenner
AG
AggieFox - how often do you guys play? I might be interested in joining if you would have me.. I haven't played any of the games you listed, but I want to try something out like this. My experience is limited to party games and risk, but I really enjoy them.

Edit- in Dallas.

[This message has been edited by Brenner (edited 3/14/2014 2:02p).]
Bryan98
AG
I'm in Houston and play board games from time to time. Some of my friends have a lot of them. 7 Wonders has gotten a lot of play.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
In Houston and enjoy playing games. I play different types and mostly depends on the group to help determine what we play. Some of the games I own are: Mice and Mystics, Battlelore, Battlecry, Memior 44, Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign, King of Tokyo, Carrcasonne, Hive, Cosmic Encounters, and several others I got around Christmas on sale that I haven't played much. If you are interested in playing, let me know. Also, you can look at meetup.com. They have several groups that meet all over Houston.
Twice an Aggie
AG
I am in DFW and would be interested. I have quite a few marathon games as well. Axis and Allies is an all day event. Also have many other military strategy games. Munchkin and Killer Bunnies along with Catan. Email is username at yahoo if anyone in Dallas is looking for more players.
Post removed:
by user
Goldie Wilson
Would be interested in joining a Dallas group if there's room available. Of the games mentioned in this thread, I've only played Settlers, Risk, and Candyland, but definitely interested in trying some new stuff out.
mid90
AG
A game of thrones is incredibly fun with the right people

After everyone invests significant time in understanding the rules that is
Post removed:
by user
C-2ag99
AG
If the "Dallas group" is anywhere near the north suburbs (Plano, Allen, McKinney, etc), I'd be down to join in!
Goldie Wilson

[This message has been edited by Dan 07 (edited 3/17/2014 9:16a).]
Dr. Horrible
Acquire!
CrockerCock00
AG
Acquire, Catan, Race, Power grid, Ticket to Ride, and several others. Latest one we added to the group was Bang!

NE DFW area (Carrolton/Corinth/Wylie)
Brenner
AG
westley.brenner@gmail
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG

Bryan98
AG
Lords of Waterdeep is fun stuff. The iPad version is very solid, as well.
mc_shipman
Usually one of the various iterations of Catan. Prefer to play Axis and Allies or The War Game 1942, but it is difficult to find a group that really wants to play something that time consuming.
SF2004
AG
Always looking (and failing) to find an axis & allies play group.

I have both interations and have played the old one once or twice. Haven't even opened the new one. Not to mention all the sub games.

Best stradegy game out there, but no one ever wants to play.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.