Greg Olsen > Tom Brady as analyst

4,056 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With Brady retiring, I keep hearing he'll sign a big contract with Fox and become its #1 analyst. I don't see any way he'll be better than Olsen. I don't have anything against TB, I just don't find him all that interesting. Meanwhile, in only two years GO has become a very good analyst. Closer to Collinsworth than Romo, he explains things well and doesn't talk too much.
45-70Ag
AG
He already signed it for 375 million
https://nypost.com/2023/02/01/tom-brady-greg-olsen-drama-looms-with-375-million-fox-contract/amp/
Max Power
AG
I really like Olsen, he's great at it. I can remember hearing him on either a XFL or USFL game doing commentary and knew he'd make the jump the NFL. It's tough to think Brady will be bad at it, but networks had a bidding war for Jason Witten, who turned out to be terrible. Witten was so bad he went back to play again after he retired. Paying that kind of money to anyone without experience seems foolish to me.
Txhuntr
AG
Olsen is fine, but he's the worst of the #1 crews.

Aikman
Collinsworth
Romo
Herbie
Olsen
Grapesoda2525
I'm glad Joe buck is on MNF now. Means he will do less cowboy games.
Bunk Moreland
Txhuntr said:

Olsen is fine, but he's the worst of the #1 crews.

Aikman
Collinsworth
Romo
Herbie
Olsen

Olsen
Collinsworth
Aikman

Herbie
Romo
Txhuntr
AG
You're punishing aikman for the lead balloon he's tethered to named joe buck
Bunk Moreland
You're probably right. And herbie is getting a little of that too. I love al Michaels but this past year it sounded like it was a chore for him to have to call games.
redag06
Romo should have to pay everyone that listens to him, he is the worst
98Ag99Grad
AG
Romo is definitely starting to take heat. I never thought he was that great to begin with. The whole predicting the play thing was way overhyped. He's like a kid without his ADD meds in the booth sometimes. T
Txhuntr
AG
Man, had no clue there was so much romo as a color guy hate out there. I guess I look at it from the standpoint I don't cringe when the boys draw a cbs game cause that meant Phil simms *shudders* would be on the call
Rudyjax
AG
Olsen is great. It's his play by play guy, have no idea who it is, that isn't as good.

Rudyjax
AG
I used to love the #1 crews on Fox and CBS.

It was the MNF that was the worst.

Collinsworth and Michaels on NBC were good too.

Now, you have CBS with Romo and Jim Nance. Good.
Fox with Olsen and Burhkart (had to look it up.). OK. Burkhart is not memorable.
Collinsworth and Tirico: Good
MNF: Buck and Aikman: Best.

I liked knowing it was Nance and Romo or Buck and Aikman.

SilverTongueDevil
You may end up being right but how can you say Olson will be better of the 2 when Brady hasn't even done a game yet?
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
SilverTongueDevil
98Ag99Grad said:

Romo is definitely starting to take heat. I never thought he was that great to begin with. The whole predicting the play thing was way overhyped. He's like a kid without his ADD meds in the booth sometimes. T

Romo went straight to the #1 team in his first year with no experience. The predicting play thing was nauseating when he first started. But it doesn't seem like he does it that much anymore. IMO, he and Nantz are the best pairing.

If I could pair any of the 2 it would be Michaels and Aikman.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

With time, Romo has become increasingly separated from the NFL game that he was so familiar with in his debut announcing season. And rather than meticulously preparing to learn the evolving nuances of the game, Romo has resorted to hyperbole, noises and a million "I don't know, Jim"s in the place of actual analysis.

Fans have, of course, noticed the decline. As it turns out, so has CBS.

According to the New York Post's Andrew Marchand, CBS had grown so alarmed with Romo's faltering performance that network execs urged him to take the job more seriously and actually prepare.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/tony-romo-cbs-intervention-report-video-announcing-struggles-nfl

I haven't listened to Bill Simmons in several years now, but he would always talk about how these guys got worse as they got further and further away from their playing careers.
Max Power
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Quote:

With time, Romo has become increasingly separated from the NFL game that he was so familiar with in his debut announcing season. And rather than meticulously preparing to learn the evolving nuances of the game, Romo has resorted to hyperbole, noises and a million "I don't know, Jim"s in the place of actual analysis.

Fans have, of course, noticed the decline. As it turns out, so has CBS.

According to the New York Post's Andrew Marchand, CBS had grown so alarmed with Romo's faltering performance that network execs urged him to take the job more seriously and actually prepare.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/tony-romo-cbs-intervention-report-video-announcing-struggles-nfl

I haven't listened to Bill Simmons in several years now, but he would always talk about how these guys got worse as they got further and further away from their playing careers.
I think it depends on the individual. I thought Aikman was pretty bad at the beginning, but he got much better over time. It's obvious that he struggled, put in the work, and he's improved. He didn't rest on his playing reputation, he wanted to become a good on-air personality.

Romo might be a victim of his own early success. He seemingly eased into it, maybe because of that he hasn't put in the work to improve at his craft. People can easily get tired of the schtick/gimmicks. Romo just comes across to me as a guy who doesn't care to truly be there. He's happy to have an awesome high paying, minimal stress job, but he'd probably rather just be on a golf course somewhere. He's really the only one of those guys that gives me that impression. Something about the way that he talks X's and O's sounds condescending at times whereas Olsen just sounds the opposite and they could be giving the same level of substance about what's going on.

I listen to Bill Simmons on occasion and he can be petty. He had an axe to grind with Collinsworth for a while and he actually had him on a podcast a couple of years ago and apologized to him. I don't know if he even remembered why he talked trash about him.
Seven Costanza
AG
I could be misremembering, but I think it was a criticism of guys like Phil Simms and Dan Fouts. The idea was that, as the style of play evolved further and further away from their playing days, the less they understood exactly what was going on. It could be that Romo was able to show up and do well without preparation early on because he had just recently been watching tons of tape, but that he's now losing his touch as he gets further from those days. Or as you said, it could be that he has stopped preparing because he just doesn't care and he's getting paid either way.
Ag_07
AG
Romo has really good insight and knowledge but man he's brutal to listen.

The whole giddy little kid 'Oh my God Jim! This is insane! What are they gonna do next? The energy in this building is crazy right now!' schtick is awful and needs to stop.
Max Power
AG
Ag_07 said:

Romo has really good insight and knowledge but man he's brutal to listen.

The whole giddy little kid 'Oh my God Jim! This is insane! What are they gonna do next? The energy in this building is crazy right now!' schtick is awful and needs to stop.
I wonder if Nantz had anything to do with CBS brass getting involved? Nantz is about as professional as they get and if he has an issue with being paired with Romo he'd probably be vocal about it. He calls everything from football to golf to the NCAA tournament for CBS. They don't need on-air partners getting pissed with each other, especially if he's one of them.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Loved Romo the player (well documented on the boards lol) but I do not like him at all in the booth.

He's way too chatty and he's got to tone it down some. He can still be good in that role, but he just needs to dial it back.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Romo's first two seasons in the both were elite. I can't remember a better color guy than early Romo. I also can't remember anyone who's fallen off so hard so quickly. Real life Icarus.
redag06
He was awful from day one. He would get too excited at stupid events in the game, his voice would crack like a prepubescent boy, and his predicting the plays was lame.

Same stuff he does now was awful from the beginning.
TyHolden
AG
45-70Ag said:

He already signed it for 375 million
https://nypost.com/2023/02/01/tom-brady-greg-olsen-drama-looms-with-375-million-fox-contract/amp/
Is that more than he was making playing? Holy *****
MookieBlaylock
AG
You should listen to Ol Colin Cowherd go from know it all to suck arse in his interview with Brady
His new daddy at Fox
GrandStand93
People already doubting Brady's abilities as a broadcaster. Of course he will use all this vitriol as motivation to compete and win broadcasting, too.
PatAg
AG
Greg Olsen is an absolute beating, but it could just be because we got stuck with him for an absurd percentage of our Cowboys games
PatAg
AG
Txhuntr said:

Man, had no clue there was so much romo as a color guy hate out there. I guess I look at it from the standpoint I don't cringe when the boys draw a cbs game cause that meant Phil simms *shudders* would be on the call
Think a lot of people just have residual Cowboys hate, and were just waiting for their chance to pile on him.
Personally, I think he just needs to learn to tone it down some.
Rudyjax
AG
I pretty much tune them out most of the time. The ability to tune people out is a blessing and a curse.
PatAg
AG
With Brady, my concern is he's never really shown any personality or ability to break his monotone in interviews that I have seen.
That said, he did have an awesome appearance in Entourage, so it's possible he will let that side of his personality show more in this new gig. I don't doubt that he can break down gameplay, and explain it very well.

I'd like to have the option to have the Manningcast audio but with full screen game play. I don't really need the play by play guy to describe everything I am seeing, it's not radio.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

With Brady, my concern is he's never really shown any personality or ability to break his monotone in interviews that I have seen.
That said, he did have an awesome appearance in Entourage, so it's possible he will let that side of his personality show more in this new gig. I don't doubt that he can break down gameplay, and explain it very well.

I'd like to have the option to have the Manningcast audio but with full screen game play. I don't really need the play by play guy to describe everything I am seeing, it's not radio.

That's the exact same criticism they had of Aikman.

Doesn't mean Brady will be Aikman obviously.
mike_ags_fan12
Olsen is very good. Moose is up there as well.

For play by play Joe Davies is better than Burkhardt
double aught
AG
Txhuntr said:

Romo has surely fallen off, but he is Vin Scully compared to Phil Simms.
BowSowy
AG
PatAg said:

I don't know, I remember him being pretty charismatic on the fly during those The Match broadcasts. If he's more like that than his typical press conference persona, I think he will be just fine.
SilverTongueDevil
Color commentators are always an easy target and most of them are hated by some. There were people who hated John Madden.

Aikman is probably one of the only ones that I have really seen no hate towards and appears Olson will be that way too. Romo, Collinsworth, Herbstreit all have haters.
As for play by play Michales and Nantz are beloved. Buck is very talented but has his share of critics. Burkhart just seems to be anonymous.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.