***** Conference Championship Games Thread *****

22,610 Views | 517 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two great looking matchups on paper coming at you.

Sunday, January 29, 2023

49ers at Eagles, 2 p.m. Eagles favored by 2.5

These two have only met once in the playoffs ever, that coming in 1996 when the 49ers beat the Eagles 14-0 in the wild card game that featured driving rain and wind gusts above 60 miles an hour. The Eagles came out full-force in that game with the 1-2 QB squad of Ty Detmer and Mark Rypien.

This is the 18th time the 49ers have been in the NFC title game since 1970. They are 7-10 to date.

The Eagles have been to the NFC title game 7 times since 1970 and are 3-4 in the big game before the big game.

Weather is supposed to be rainy and between 37-47 degrees with 10 MPH winds on Sunday.

Brock Purdy is attempting to become the first rookie quarterback to reach the Super Bowl.

Bengals at Chiefs, 5:30 p.m. Chiefs favored by 1

These two obviously played last year in the same round with stunning results. The Chiefs got out to a 21-3 lead and lost 27-24 in overtime following a Patrick Mahomes' interception and a Bengal's field goal. The Bengals have beaten the Chiefs 3 times in a row, including by the same score 7 weeks ago in the regular season, and won seven of their last eight meetings with KC dating back to 2008.

The Chiefs have made it to the AFC title game 5 times and are 2-3 in the big game. This is their fifth straight trip to the title game. That is the second most in conference history, trailing the record of 8 set by the Patriots from 2011-2018.

The Bengals have been to the AFC title game 3 previous times and have a rather remarkable 3-0 record.

The weather forecast for Arrowhead is partly cloudy with a high of 24 degrees and a low of 12.

batchuser
Matsui
AG
Whats everyone leaning towards?
The Porkchop Express
Cincy seems the popular bet based on how they took care of Buffalo and the way they mixed it up on offense. I'm leaning that way as well.

I am curious how much the weather will be a factor in Philly. If it's just cold but not windy/rainy I don't see SF slowing down Philly's offense enough to win. If it is a limiting factor on passing the ball, I think SF has a better shot. If I'm SF, I run the ball and throw swing passes to CMC / Deebo bout 50 times in that game to keep Philly's offense off the field for long stretches.
ac
I went 3-1 last week and am 7-3 in the postseason overall.

Eagles
Chiefs
ac
BowSowy
AG
Eagles
Bengals

I think Purdy's run finally comes to an end on the road against a very good defense. Philly's offense is good enough to keep pressure on SF's offense and Purdy to keep up. Although I'm still not sure if Hurts is all the way healed.

I know Mahomes has been a full participant in practice, but I have to imagine that a high ankle sprain a week later is going to limit him somewhat. Burrow just seems to have that killer instinct that's a step above everyone else.

hurleyag
AG
Niners & Bengals.
dabo man
AG
I live in Missouri (119 miles down I-70 from Arrowhead). I feel like I should be a Chiefs fan.

Problem is I took my then five year old son to a game in 2013, and it was a colossal parenting fail. I had no idea the level of sh**-facedness I would witness at 11 AM on a Sunday. I'd only ever been to NFL games at Texas Stadium (dry). Arrowhead was a black and white different experience from that.

Walking up the ramp to our 3rd level seats, there were two couples in front of us who kept stopping because they were having a competition to see which man could stick his tongue further down the throat of his woman. I'm trying desperately to get my kid around them without him seeing what the hell is happening.

I've seen that level of power drinking in New Orleans, Las Vegas, and the Arrowhead parking lot. It's funny to me now looking back, but it was awful to go through. And again, I probably should have expected it at an NFL game.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I went 3-1 last week and 8-2 in the playoffs overall. I am a die hard 49ers fan, and I would feel more confident if the NFC Championship Game was at Levi's Stadium. I would like the 49ers to upset the Eagles on the road, but the Eagles have 2 major advantages over the 49ers:

1. The Eagles will be playing their 4th straight home game in a 5-week span with only a first round bye sandwiched by these 4 home games (1/1 vs New Orleans Saints, 1/8 vs New York Giants, 1/21 vs New York Giants in Divisional Round, and 1/8 vs San Francisco 49ers in NFC Championship Game). The Eagles have not traveled since playing at Dallas on 12/24. In contrast, the 49ers will be traveling for the first time since playing at Las Vegas on 1/1 and to the East Coast for the first time since playing at Atlanta on 10/16.

2. The Eagles get an extra day of rest.

The Chiefs are hosting the AFC Championship Game for the 5th year in a row. They have gone 2-2 in those games with wins in 2019 and 2020 and losses in 2018 and 2021. The Chiefs have 2 major advantages over the Bengals:

1. The Chiefs will be playing their 2nd straight home game and have not traveled since playing at Las Vegas in their regular season finale on 1/7. In contrast, the Bengals will be playing their 2nd straight road playoff game.

2. The Chiefs get an extra day of rest.

I am predicting both the Eagles and Chiefs will both win their home games. If that happens, this will be just the 14th Super Bowl between two No. 1 seeds and the first since the Eagles defeated the Patriots 41-33 in 2017.
Seven Costanza
AG
It feels like the Bengals are better than the Chiefs even with a completely healthy Mahomes.
Ag12thman
AG
These should both be two very good games. I don't know who to even pick in the Eagles - 49ers game. That one is a toss-up in my mind. It should come down to which teams makes the least mistakes. I feel like the Bengals are just playing much better than the Chiefs right now and they may be playing better than any of the 4 remaining teams as well. Should be a couple of great games to watch.
45-70Ag
AG
Had no clue Brian griese is the QB coach for San Francisco
Unemployed
AG
National Anthem by Anita Baker sucked.
TaggiesT
That was...terrible.
Go 49ers, **** Philly
45-70Ag
AG
Philadelphia screwing up the national anthem is no surprise. Trash city.
AgEng06
AG
If Warner is hurt already, that could be a big deal...
W
AG
wow, what a catch by Smith -- on 4th down
Texker
AG
Incredible catch
suburban cowboy
AG
that catch by Smith was nasty af
TaggiesT
I think that was worth a challenge, kinda looked like it was pinned against the ground.
hoosierAG
AG
He might not of caught that. Why he wanted to hurry up
W
AG
the critical play of the game...may have come in the first 5 minutes.

TD run for Sanders gets the Eagles on the board
TaggiesT
There it is, huge mistake by Shanahan.
Texker
AG
Not a catch. Damn.
45-70Ag
AG
Kelcie is a game time decision, back injury.
AgEng06
AG
No Kelce and a bum Mahomes will be terrible for the Chiefs.
Texker
AG
Go Bengals!
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
hoosierAG
AG
Fumhle
Coppell97
AG
Niners losing the replay / challenge battle in the early going. Nightmare start for niners and Purdy.
45-70Ag
AG
Bosa isn't ready for Philly fans

Texker
AG
Good job by 72 to follow through on the play.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
72 might have had a TD if the whistle hadn't blown.
W
AG
Purdy is out
hoosierAG
AG
Nightmare start for niners. Purdy out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.