Something I don't understand regarding Dak….

5,379 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jeff99
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why there are so many media talking heads that refuse to give him any credit and some just outwardly 'hate on'?

He should be the type of guy the league champions. Not a top draft pick, hard worker, high character, does tons of great work out in the community.

I'm sure some of it is there's money and ratings to be made by just hating on the Cowboys, in general, and Dak is their QB. I guess it's a sign of the times that these shock jocks and flame throwers are what gets ratings.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Idk but dude was absolutely nails last night. I can't remember a QB being so on target (after those first couple passes) in a playoff game.
Unemployed
AG
Big ass contract and haven't won anything substantial. Plus, it's easy to just rail on the Cowboys. We're easy to hate.
Macarthur
But he's simply getting what the market dictates. I think he's actually like 9th in QB pay and that's only going to go down when the next contract or two get signed. That's such a silly reason.
LeagueCityAg
AG
To be fair, the media seems to be giving him love after last night. He played a great game.
PatAg
AG
Macarthur said:

Why there are so many media talking heads that refuse to give him any credit and some just outwardly 'hate on'?

He should be the type of guy the league champions. Not a top draft pick, hard worker, high character, does tons of great work out in the community.

I'm sure some of it is there's money and ratings to be made by just hating on the Cowboys, in general, and Dak is their QB. I guess it's a sign of the times that these shock jocks and flame throwers are what gets ratings.
IMO, it's because he plays for the Cowboys. We may be 'america's team' but I think a lot of people in the media hate that they are forced to cover us so much.
gigem1223
Macarthur said:

It ain't just the media. You got Dallas fans that still think he's average to below average and/ or Rush should be the starter. Hell just last week we had Dallas fans saying Dallas should move on from him.
boy09
AG
gigem1223 said:

It ain't just the media. You got Dallas fans that still think he's average to below average and/ or Rush should be the starter. Hell just last week we had Dallas fans saying Dallas should move on from him.
Nobody is harder on Dak than Cowboys fans. They are very fickle when it comes to QBs. It was the same way with Romo.
Ag_07
AG
From a nonCowboy fan

Dak seems overall pretty inconsistent and he hasn't done much as far as playoffs wins.

He's hyped up every year for whatever reason fair or not but he never seems to meet those expectations. Same can be said for the Cowboys in general really.

Throw in the big contract (which I don't blame the Cowboys for paying) and that's why you get the hate and criticism.

And FWIW he was great last night and seems to be getting his due accolades for that performance.

Unemployed
AG
gigem1223 said:

Macarthur said:

I'll admit that I don't think Dak is the guy to take us to the Super Bowl and that he's overpaid.

I hope Dak proves me wrong.
Macarthur
Ag_07 said:

From a nonCowboy fan

Dak seems overall pretty inconsistent and he hasn't done much as far as playoffs wins.

But he's really not inconsistent. And if you go look at his numbers in playoff games, he's played really well with the exception, I think, of the SF game last year.

Quote:

He's hyped up every year for whatever reason fair or not but he never seems to meet those expectations. Same can be said for the Cowboys in general really.

Yeah, I don't get this. They really aren't hyped. Now, they have been a good team so they always are going to be talked about in the mix. Again, a weird criticism, IMO.

Quote:

Throw in the big contract (which I don't blame the Cowboys for paying) and that's why you get the hate and criticism.

And FWIW he was great last night and seems to be getting his due accolades for that performance.

AGain, he's now 9th...it's just a weird criticism because that is just how contracts work.
Macarthur
Dak has a career playoff rating of 98.3 w 10 TDs and 3 INTs. Dak has not been the reason they haven't had playoff success.
Macarthur
RealTalk said:

gigem1223 said:

Macarthur said:

I'll admit that I don't think Dak is the guy to take us to the Super Bowl and that
Quote:

he's overpaid.

I hope Dak proves me wrong.

He is?

Seriously, he seems to be paid pretty appropriately, IMO.

I can think of a copule of guys that are overpaid before Dak.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/nfl-highest-paid-quarterbacks-2022-aaron-rodgers-kyler-murray
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Dak has a career playoff rating of 98.3 w 10 TDs and 3 INTs. Dak has not been the reason they haven't had playoff success.

You know I 100% agree with you about Dak... but for arguments sake, it was a 6 - 3 TD to INT ratio before last night. So going into the game it was fair to say that he had just played OK in the post season if you averaged all his games.

Now that last night is in the books, it's also fair to say that Dak has a pretty good playoff resume now and he's worthy of the "This guy can get it done" talk.
rsf0626
Because the media needs talking points and cowboys talk drives ratings

I would argue that Dak receives more unfair criticism than any other qb in the NFL
rsf0626
gigem1223
I don't buy the he's overhyped comments. The media wasn't hyping Dallas at all this preseason (most had them as a borderline wild card team in the preseason) and most had them losing last night.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

You know I 100% agree with you about Dak... but for arguments sake, it was a 6 - 3 TD to INT ratio before last night. So going into the game it was fair to say that he had just played OK in the post season if you averaged all his games.

Now that last night is in the books, it's also fair to say that Dak has a pretty good playoff resume now and he's worthy of the "This guy can get it done" talk.

Gotcha, but here's the thing. Virtually, all QBs ratings are lower in the playoffs than in regular season. It stands to reason they are playing better teams and better defenses. Even before last night he was 2:1 TD to INT ratio and well over 60% completion.
Unemployed
AG
I just have an irrational hate for Dak. Maybe it goes back to his days at Mississippi State.
Macarthur
Lol
Ag_07
AG
I'm not saying the criticisms are justified.

I'm just answering the questions from the outside. I don't watch the Cowboys (or much NFL at all).

Again...I'm just giving you guys the perspective from a random observer who isn't Cowboy fan.

And generally when a team underachieves and doesn't reach its goals it's usually the QB who takes the brunt of the criticism. Fair or not that's just how it works.
The Porkchop Express
Ag_07 said:

From a nonCowboy fan

These are all excellent points. I'm not a Cowboy fan, either but there are several factors at play with the national media that are considerably slanted towards Dak.

1) He plays for Jerry Jones, who is not very well liked.

2) It's easy to beat down on the Cowboys and their fans for perpetuating the "America's Team" vibe when they haven't played or won a Super Bowl in however many years it's been now 25? 30?

3) He's Black, and without trying to start a holy war, there seems to be lingering media bias towards the Black starting quarterback. White QBs seem to have this incredibly long leash of "he's such a tough competitor, seasoned professional" BS that Black quarterbacks don't seem to get for some reason.

Dak was phenomenal last night, and I really look forward to seeing their game vs. Frisco. He's overcome so much personal tragedy as well, it's really odd that the media has decided he's not worthy of their praise. Fortunately, winning always shuts idiots up, even the ones who get paid to be idiots.
Macarthur
The Porkchop Express said:

Ag_07 said:

From a nonCowboy fan

These are all excellent points. I'm not a Cowboy fan, either but there are several factors at play with the national media that are considerably slanted towards Dak.

1) He plays for Jerry Jones, who is not very well liked.

2) It's easy to beat down on the Cowboys and their fans for perpetuating the "America's Team" vibe when they haven't played or won a Super Bowl in however many years it's been now 25? 30?

3) He's Black, and without trying to start a holy war, there seems to be lingering media bias towards the Black starting quarterback. White QBs seem to have this incredibly long leash of "he's such a tough competitor, seasoned professional" BS that Black quarterbacks don't seem to get for some reason.

Dak was phenomenal last night, and I really look forward to seeing their game vs. Frisco. He's overcome so much personal tragedy as well, it's really odd that the media has decided he's not worthy of their praise. Fortunately, winning always shuts idiots up, even the ones who get paid to be idiots.

1 - Fair point about Jerry.

2 - The vast majority of Cowboys fans I know, really couldn't care less about the "America's Team" thing. Many use it as a joke or just to get a rise out of someone they know it will fire up.

3 - Yeah, I see this too, but it is odd that Dak doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that guys like Lamar and now Hurts gets. I mean I saw legitimate folks on twitter saying what Dak needs to do to 'get to the level' of Hurts. Seriously, how nuts is that?

Yellerjacket
Ag_07 said:

From a nonCowboy fan

Dak has been very consistent his whole career, except for the last few games of this season. Playoff wins mean nothing. Really. They don't. If you don't have the team to win it all, it doesn't matter who your QB is.

He isn't "hyped" any more than any other QB. Probably much less than some.

His contract was only "big" the moment he signed it. Anybody paying attention knew it was going to be a bargain in the future.

Ag_07
AG
Look the question was asked and we're just answering it.

I'm not trying to bash Dak I'm just telling it like I see it from an outsider's POV.

That's the perception of Dak and the Cowboys in general. They underachieve based on the media pumping them up and those shortcomings fall on the shoulders of the QB. Fair or not that's just the way it is and part of territory for a QB who was given the contract he was.
Macarthur
I hear ya, and I would expect most casual fans to have these attitudes.

What irks me is that there are so many of these guys that are former players so they know the game, and they are paid lots of money but all they do is regurgitate emotion based fan garbage.

I've seen some clips of David Helman (good guy) and Acho and Shady McCoy and whatever that show is they do...I would claw my eyes out if had to watch that all the time. It's lowest common denominator puke.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly. The average NFL fan has a pretty low IQ so these takes are on par with who we're dealing with.

The talking heads pander to that. It's all just gibberish meant to get clicks/views.

Now not to derail this thread too much but one question I have for Cowboy fans as an outsider is this. From what I saw last night and the couple other times I've watched the Cowboys on national TV...Pollard >>>>> Zeke

Pollard runs like a madman and Zeke runs like a washed up out of shape RB. How much longer is Zeke still around and why does Pollard not get the majority of that workload (maybe he does actually I don't know)?
Macarthur
Pollard def is the better RB. Zeke the last couple of years has looked pretty good early in the season but just wears down.

On the flip side, pollard is not a 25 carry a game guy or you will lose his burst and effectiveness.

It's a delicate balance Moore has to walk here. Also, Zeke is very much a leader on this team and very well liked in the locker room so that adds to the balance.

But yes, no doubt pollard has more juice.

What happens this off season is the $64k question.
rsf0626
RealTalk said:

Big ass contract and haven't won anything substantial. Plus, it's easy to just rail on the Cowboys. We're easy to hate.
Dak's contract should be considered a bargain by today's going rate for a average qb...I think he's 8th overall now in annual pay?

Lamar Jackson is certainly going to get paid more and Daniel Jones might too. Thats just how the qb market works. the next guy gets higher than the previous guy. Dak wont even be top 10 in terms of pay by end of next year
rsf0626
birdman
Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo, and now Prescott are got a ton of undeserved crap.

Dallas Cowboy quarterback is one of highest profile positions in sports. The heat comes with the job.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
From a 49ers fan. Last season, Dak Prescott threw 37 touchdown passes to just 10 interceptions (3.7 TD/INT ratio), but this year he threw for just 23 touchdown passes and tied with Houston Texans Davis Mills for a league-high 15 interceptions (1.53 TD/INT), despite missing 4 games. After Dak threw a pick-six in overtime that sealed a 40-34 loss at Jacksonville in Week 15 on 12/18/22, some Dallas Cowboy fans started calling him a choke artist. Statically, Dak Prescott has declined during the regular season.

Despite a disappointing regular season, Dak Prescott joined Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan as the only players in the Super Bowl era with four-plus passing touchdowns and one-plus rushing score in a playoff game, and he became the first Cowboys player with five-plus total TDs in a postseason contest. As a result, Dak earned his first ever road playoff win and led the Cowboys to their first road playoff win in 30 years. That's why I still think Dak Prescott is a good quarterback, and I am expecting a close game between the Cowboys and 49ers at Levi's Stadium.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-qb-dak-prescott-after-five-touchdown-performance-i-knew-what-this-game-m

Macarthur
Yeah, he had a weird year w INTs. His history has been that he is very careful w the ball. He did have some bad luck w tipped passes and receivers letting balls bounce off them right to defenders. It was weird.

As has been discussed, his receivers also get the least amount of separation in the league based on advance metrics. Dead last. So I think it was a bit of a perfect storm of him being a bit too risky w the ball and trying to fit into windows that he shouldn't and then some bad luck too.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds likes that a fancy way to say he's inconsistent
Macarthur
Over his career, no, he's been remarkably consistent. Even this year though, with INTs up, he's still been very good, on the whole.

Let's also not forget, he broke his thumb week 1. I suspect that may not be 100% healed.
boy09
AG
Everybody is harping on the INTs this season, and i just don't think they are as big of a deal as everybody is making them out to be. Cowboys are still 2nd in the league on turnover differential at +10. They are 3rd in yards per game, and points per game. They're averaging over 32 ppg since Dak came back from injury.

Ag Natural
AG
I've had non Cowboy fans ask me why Cowboy fans always seem to hate their QB.

I recall a clip of Starbauch being interviewed by a Dallas reporter. He was giving him crap because Tom Landry didn't let him call his own plays. Oh the disrespect!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.