2022 FF Drafts & Mock Drafts: Strategy/Analysis/Results

3,889 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgBrother
txagman1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it would be interesting to have a thread where we can talk Fantasy Football draft strategy as the season is just weeks away. This can be in the form of questions or posting a mock draft and providing feedback. Below is a mock draft I just ran (Yahoo 12-team 0.5 PPR). I drafted 2nd/11th in this mock draft:

1. Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR)
2. Mark Andrews (Bal - TE)
3. Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB)
4. Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB)
5. Devin Singletary (Buf - RB)
6. Tony Pollard (Dal - RB)
7. Chase Edmonds (Mia - RB)
8. Russell Gage (TB - WR)
9. Melvin Gordon III (Den - RB)
10. Chris Olave (NO - WR)
11. Jakobi Meyers (NE - WR)
12. Tim Patrick (Den - WR)
13. Brandon McManus (Den - K)
14. Cincinnati (Cin - DEF)
15. Jalen Tolbert (Dal - WR)

With JT picked at 1.01, I decided to go with Kupp over Ekeler at 1.02 and employing a "WR Hero" strategy. This means I chose to pass on WRs until the mid/late rounds and filled out the other positions that aren't as deep (I assumed a 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1 TE/1 WRT lineup). With this strategy, I prioritized TE early as that is the scarcest position.

Additionally, by taking Zeke as my first RB off the board, I drafted Pollard in the mid-rounds as insurance. I don't really like taking a hand-cuff that early, but Pollard won't last too long given his numbers last year and I really think you have to insure Zeke if you draft him (unless he's your 3rd RB off the board).

This strategy definitely left me thin at WR after Kupp, but I feel I only need a couple of my mid to late round receivers to break out for this to work. Plus, I expect to get WR like numbers out of my TE. Any thoughts?
taylorswift13
AG
Not taking the top tier RB's early really scares me this year unless you can get a steal for value like Dobbins, Etienne, Singletary, or a rookie in the mid rounds… I think there are plenty of quality WR's in the middle rounds who can breakout and week by week have some good matchups! Guess it's mock szn
taylorswift13
AG
Question who has the better season: Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson, Darnell Mooney, or Dj Moore! Also interested to see how Metcalf and Lockett get drafted now
Ags #1
AG
Mooney imo.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
I have 2 and I'm planning on going mcaffery (I can hear the groans but I think baker will be an upgrade at qb and I guess we'll see if he can stay healthy)

I plan on taking 1 more rb at pick 19 (hoping Fournette or Swift fall or maybe Aaron Jones there)

Then I'll probably take Wr for rounds 3-6 (10 team league with 2 flexes) adhering to the RB dead zone avoidance. Will add depth at rb and I'm going later round for both TE and QB.

That's the plan at least…
W
AG
that was going to be my comment...what to do with CMC.

perhaps also go RB in the 2nd round for insurance
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I have 2 and I'm planning on going mcaffery (I can hear the groans but I think baker will be an upgrade at qb and I guess we'll see if he can stay healthy)

I have noticed CMC move up the board after the Baker trade, which does make sense. That being said, in a PPR format, I would have trouble passing on Kupp at 2 or later (still think it has to be JT at #1). 31% target rate last year with a QB that finished #8 in targets, #3 in yards and #2 in TDs is hard to pass up given not much changed with their offense other than Robinson taking the Woods/OBJ role.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Question who has the better season: Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson, Darnell Mooney, or Dj Moore! Also interested to see how Metcalf and Lockett get drafted now

I would rank them as Mooney, Moore, Robinson, Thomas, which is interesting given you can get Mooney after Robinson and Moore are gone. I have trouble drafting Thomas at all given his injury uncertainty. Would rather use a later pick on Olave with NO running the chuck-and-duck offense with Famous Jameis.
W
AG
had my first draft tonight...12-team non-PPR.

perhaps surprisingly Kupp went #2 and Jefferson went #3.

I had the no-man's-land 8th overall pick. Took Najee at #8 (over Mixon & Chubb). And then Fournette at #17.

QB - Brady
RB - Najee, Fournette, Dillon, Walker III
WR - A.J. Brown, Metcalf, Bateman
TE - Ertz
txagman1998
AG
Curious what your thoughts were on taking Najee over Mixon. I would think in PPR formats you would take Najee over Mixon but in non-PPR Mixon over Najee.
W
AG
a little bit of TD regression for Mixon...and the loss of Big Ben actually being a positive for Harris.

the Steelers will at least try to throw downfield this year. It may or may not work.

Mixon went at #10
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Based on all I've read up on, for WR depth I think you go rookies in the later rounds over the veteran receivers.

Olave
Pickens
Garrett
Skye moore
Chargers second year wr

All seem to have huge upside
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Allen Robinson
DJ Moore
Mooney
Mike thomas
Metcalf
Lockett
Agzonfire
Who are you guys targeting as top handcuff backs? I'm planning on going WR early and taking a lot of high upside guys in later rounds.
taylorswift13
AG
ESPN has guys like Zeke, Jk Dobbins, Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery going in rounds 3-4, and guys like Miles Sanders, Elijah Mitchell, and Damien Harris going rounds 5-7, and Kareem Hunt, Rhomandre Stevenson, Aj Dillon, and Tony Pollard later. which is great value for a running back! I wanna get only the nomadism stud wr's early! Cause I believe there's still plenty of WR depth in the later picks, more wr depth and upside later than Rb's. Unless you're comfortable with the latter guys who can be stars depending on injuries.
Agzonfire
taylorswift13 said:

ESPN has guys like Zeke, Jk Dobbins, Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery going in rounds 3-4, and guys like Miles Sanders, Elijah Mitchell, and Damien Harris going rounds 5-7, and Kareem Hunt, Rhomandre Stevenson, Aj Dillon, and Tony Pollard later. which is great value for a running back! I wanna get only the nomadism stud wr's early! Cause I believe there's still plenty of WR depth in the later picks, more wr depth and upside later than Rb's. Unless you're comfortable with the latter guys who can be stars depending on injuries.

Isn't this saying there are a lot of average WRs, which means the top ones become more valuable?
W
AG
I'm not seeing much of a discount on A.J. Dillon anymore. He's a 5th round pick (at worst) in 12-team leagues.

had over 200 touches last season.

definitely a good target for owners that begin WR/WR or WR/TE
W
AG
also discounts on Allen Robinson and Brandin Cooks are evaporating --- 4th / 5th round picks now
W
AG
some of the obvious guys I suppose...

Dillon, Stevenson, Pollard, Gordon.

then one or both of the Seahawks RB's --- Seattle is still going to run the ball a lot.

rookie Pierce with the Texans.

keep an eye on the Ravens if Dobbins has setbacks
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Agzonfire said:

Who are you guys targeting as top handcuff backs? I'm planning on going WR early and taking a lot of high upside guys in later rounds.
The handcuffs of whomever my opponents draft.

Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
I find myself loading up on rookie WRs

Also probably not drafting a defense or K till right before the season starts.

Folk is fine as kicker--wont be drafted typically, many others you can plug in.

Defense, Miami will likely be a top 5 defense this year and wont be drafted. going to pick up those right before the games start.

Have two drafts this weekend for both leagues i play in. Likely just taking flyers on rookies in the later rounds.

Gerald Everett is another great upside guy for the chargers i want to pick up the beginning of september. He could be a top 5 guy.

I am not taking TEs before the end of the second with Mandrews, or end of the 5th with Shultz. Beyond those two i am waiting for Baby gronk for pittsburg--he still has awesome value along with knox or Goedart really late if they fall.

QB I like Dak and Russell. Trey Lance is becoming stupid for the value but he will be good.

W
AG
I'm taking the New Orleans defense for my week 1 streamer (at the Falcons)
txagman1998
AG
First draft in the books! Have one other draft on Wednesday. Today was my Family & Friends league draft, so much more casual than the Work league draft I have coming up on Wednesday. Here are the results:

Yahoo 8-team league (yeah, I know)
0.5 PPR, 6 pts per Passing TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex, K, D/ST, Bench x 5, IR
Drafted 7th (2nd on the turn)

QB: T. Brady
RB: D. Swift, L. Fournette, A. Kamara, C. Edwards-Helaire, T. Pollard
WR: J. Jefferson, A. Robinson, D. Moore, A. St. Brown, M. Brown (Hollywood), C. Olave, I. McKenzie
TE: D. Schultz
K: T. Bass (Buffalo)
D/ST: Cincinnati

Crazy draft...Kelce went 4th in the first round! Multiple QBs went early. I was the last team to draft a QB and landed Brady 90th overall. And since it is only an 8 team league, several QBs are available on the waiver wire should I have to deal with an injury (Cousins, Carr, Tua, Ryan, etc.).
FtBendTxAg
AG
^ solid team there.

I'm in a 2 QB league no TE, flex

QB- Dak, Stafford…… Tanehill
WR- Chase, Diggs, Deebo, Mooney, Locket, d-hop
RB- fournette, Conner, Edmonds, Harris (pats) Stevenson (pats)
A DST and a k

I know my RBs are not geared for PPR but they are who I sacrificed this year, hoping to ride waivers closely.

There was a QB run during my Deebo pick, but I couldn't pass him up. Football guys and the league bot gave the draft an A+ somehow but I have no idea how. Thoughts?
txagman1998
AG
I like the roster. Very strong at WR, and QB is fine. Totally agree with taking Deebo instead of joining the "QB run". I think your backs are fine. Fournette will catch some balls out of the backfield as the Bucs don't have a dedicated 3rd down back. Conner and Edmonds are fine as well. Nice job!
Zachary Klement
AG
10 team .5 PPR

Justin Jefferson
D'Andre Swift
Saquon Barkley
Mike Evans
Courtland Sutton
DK Metcalf
Allen Robinson
Christian Kirk
Elijah Moore
Brandon Aiyuk
Dak Prescott
Darrell Henderson
Tyler Allgier
Pat Friermuth
Colts D
Ryan Succop
txagman1998
AG
What is the starting lineup for this league? You have a ton of WR depth. That's fine in a 3WR/2 Flex start league. If it's less than that, you might consider using some of your WR depth early in the season to trade for RB depth.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Zachary Klement said:

10 team .5 PPR

Justin Jefferson
D'Andre Swift
Saquon Barkley
Mike Evans
Courtland Sutton
DK Metcalf
Allen Robinson
Christian Kirk
Elijah Moore
Brandon Aiyuk
Dak Prescott
Darrell Henderson
Tyler Allgier
Pat Friermuth
Colts D
Ryan Succop

You're going to win your league. Lol
Zachary Klement
AG
2WRs and a flex...RB depth is the only thing I don't love about my team; if Swift and Barkley stay healthy, I am golden. Fingers crossed! Also will look to make some trades as the year goes on.
Zachary Klement
AG
I hope so!
Zachary Klement
AG
How would people feel about swapping Courtland Sutton for Breece Hall with my WR and RB setup?
txagman1998
AG
You have 8 WRs of which you can only start up to 3 a week, so you have lots of options for trading a receiver for RB depth. The season hasn't started yet, so you have time to be patient. The right trade will make itself available, whether it's Sutton for Breece or some other trade.
Zachary Klement
AG
txagman1998 said:

You have 8 WRs of which you can only start up to 3 a week, so you have lots of options for trading a receiver for RB depth. The season hasn't started yet, so you have time to be patient. The right trade will make itself available, whether it's Sutton for Breece or some other trade.
Well said. Patience is the key. I am going to put some feelers out there so guys are thinking about moves, but think I might be better off staying put for a bit. I love my WRs this year.
Zachary Klement
AG
Agzonfire said:

Mattison is great as Dalvin always misses games.
I like Jamaal Williams...they have a great OL and their offense will be better than people think. He is way cheaper than some of the other handcuff options.
I also like taking Mike Davis as your last-round pick, Gus Edwards is on the PUP list and JK Dobbins' situation is murky at best...it seems like he could miss a few weeks early in the year.
Tyler Allgeier is someone who has some upside and could potentially end up being the RB1 on his team by the end of the year...I got him in round 13 last night.
Zachary Klement
AG
txagman1998 said:

Circling back on this...I was just offered Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt for Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf and Brandon Aiyuk.

I was thinking about countering by offering Mike Evans and Elijah Moore so I lose less depth. I am kind of wavering on Evans with the murkiness of the Brady situation, Godwin coming back earlier than expected and the addition of Julio Jones.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.