*** Cowboys vs. Pats ***

31,901 Views | 834 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hph6203
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why are we talking about Tony Romo?
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Kellso said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Mateo84 said:

Texagtrojan said:

Kellso said:

Dak Prescott is better than Tony Romo.

I would take Dak over Romo any day of the week.

Romo was the better qb. Dak is a better leader

Let's see how Dak's career turns out. Still lots of time left. If the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl with Dak, his legacy will be well beyond Romo's

Romo is so overrated it is comical

Like I said Charmed Life

Romo was an undrafted free agent that ended up being a franchise quarterback. He broke several franchise records while, for the most part, playing on a bunch of sorry teams. He never had a very good defense and played on a bunch of dysfunctional teams with sorry management.

I think Dak is better, but I don't think that Tony was overrated.
People are so accustomed to the Tony Romo excuses that they say things that are not true.

The 2009 Cowboys had the #2 defense in the NFL with an All Pro Defensive End and tackle.

The last three games of the 2009 season the Cowboys defense did this:
-Held Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints to 17 points in a 20-17 victory
-Beat Washington 17-0
Beat (11-5) Philadelphia 24-0

Until 2021 Dak has never had a defense remotely as good as 2009.

I was going off memory. Forgot about that year. That playoff loss to Favre and the Vikings sucked.
Grapesoda2525

Kellso said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Mateo84 said:

Texagtrojan said:

Kellso said:

Dak Prescott is better than Tony Romo.

I would take Dak over Romo any day of the week.

Romo was the better qb. Dak is a better leader

Let's see how Dak's career turns out. Still lots of time left. If the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl with Dak, his legacy will be well beyond Romo's

Romo is so overrated it is comical

Like I said Charmed Life

Romo was an undrafted free agent that ended up being a franchise quarterback. He broke several franchise records while, for the most part, playing on a bunch of sorry teams. He never had a very good defense and played on a bunch of dysfunctional teams with sorry management.

I think Dak is better, but I don't think that Tony was overrated.
People are so accustomed to the Tony Romo excuses that they say things that are not true.

The 2009 Cowboys had the #2 defense in the NFL with an All Pro Defensive End and tackle.

The last three games of the 2009 season the Cowboys defense did this:
-Held Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints to 17 points in a 20-17 victory
-Beat Washington 17-0
Beat (11-5) Philadelphia 24-0

Until 2021 Dak has never had a defense remotely as good as 2009.

I was going off memory. Forgot about that year. That playoff loss to Favre and the Vikings sucked.
Gotta beat the team across from you unfortunately. I think the cowboys have had a lot of bad luck with playoff matchups. Hopefully that changes this year. Seriously… their reward for going 13-3 was a matchup against the super bowl winning giants in 2007 and Aaron Rodgers in 2016? Oof.
hph6203
AG
Dak's win percentage is 62.1%.
Romo's was 61.4%.

Dak is 1-2 in the playoffs.
Romo was 2-4.

If you are what your record says you are and all.

They're basically the same. Romo was more explosive, but had more turnovers. Dak has been more boring/less accurate, but just as productive.

Some people can't get over a fumbled field goal hold or a trip to Cabo to see Romo was a pretty damn good quarterback and Dak really hasn't done much more with a generally more talented team. Dak has never played with a run game outside the top 10, Romo played with 2 in the top 10 his entire career and was 2nd team all-pro one of those years.

There's really not that much difference between the two.
birdman
Romo was always asked to carry more burden than Dak.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Dak has been a more mature leader relative to what Romo was at the same point. But beyond that, I don't see much difference between them at all so far, and that leadership has not improved the result. 2021 is an opportunity for Dak to step ahead, but the results speak for themselves so far. Virtually identical
double aught
AG
fc2112 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

Dark has a right calf strain. Good thing we have a bi week.

This kills me. Perfectly executed gif.
Kellso
hph6203 said:

Romo's was 61.4%.

Romo was 2-4.

They're basically the same. Romo was more explosive, but had more turnovers. Dak has been more boring/less accurate, but just as productive.

Some people can't get over a fumbled field goal hold or a trip to Cabo to see Romo was a pretty damn good quarterback and Dak really hasn't done much more with a generally more talented team. Dak has never played with a run game outside the top 10, Romo played with 2 in the top 10 his entire career and was 2nd team all-pro one of those years.

You just said it.

I don't give a F about explosive.

Those turnovers KILLED the Cowboys during the Romo years, and its precisely why the team did not have more success.

Dak Prescott 2016 season made him the real life version of Willie Beamon. Its almost the exact same story of the main plot of Any Given Sunday.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would have loved to have seen Romo with a coordinator/coach not named Jason Garrett
PatAg
AG
Kellso said:

hph6203 said:

Romo's was 61.4%.

Romo was 2-4.

You just said it.

I don't give a F about explosive.

Those turnovers KILLED the Cowboys during the Romo years, and its precisely why the team did not have more success.

Dak Prescott 2016 season made him the real life version of Willie Beamon. Its almost the exact same story of the main plot of Any Given Sunday.
nope
hph6203
AG
Clearly not, since they have the same win pct and Romo's turnover rate isn't that much higher than 2 TO yesterday Dak. Romo had a turnover on 3.1% of passing attempts, Dak has one on 2.4% of passing attempts (including fumbles, since Dak has worse butter fingers).

Meaning Romo, in a 500 attempt season would have 3 more turnovers. He also had a TD on 5.7% of attempts to Dak's 4.9%. Or 28.5 TDs in a 500 attempt season versus 24.5 for Dak. Or 4 TDs more over a season. In other words at worst Romo is 1 TD better than Dak over the course of a season. That's assuming the opposing offense scores a TD on every additional turnover, which they don't.

You just don't like Romo, because he went to Cabo whether you want to admit it or not.

You also forgot to mention Terry Glenn in the list of Romo weapons. Show some respect for the dead!
Kellso
hph6203 said:

Clearly not, since they have the same win pct and Romo's turnover rate isn't that much higher than 2 TO yesterday Dak. Romo had a turnover on 3.1% of passing attempts, Dak has one on 2.4% of passing attempts (including fumbles, since Dak has worse butter fingers).

Meaning Romo, in a 500 attempt season would have 3 more turnovers. He also had a TD on 5.7% of attempts to Dak's 4.9%. Or 28.5 TDs in a 500 attempt season versus 24.5 for Dak. Or 4 TDs more over a season. In other words at worst Romo is 1 TD better than Dak over the course of a season. That's assuming the opposing offense scores a TD on every additional turnover, which they don't.

You just don't like Romo, because he went to Cabo whether you want to admit it or not.

You also forgot to mention Terry Glenn in the list of Romo weapons. Show some respect for the dead!
I don't give a F about Cabo. Most of the Cowboys players are on vacation this week, and good for them.

I didn't like Romo because the MOFO did not win.....and his fans make every excuse in the book for his shortcomings.
( I can do the smiling emojee also)

Tony Romo had the most talented offense in the NFL in 2007 with a top 3-5 WR of all time and could only lead the Cowboys to 17 points in that playoff loss to New York. This was after this team averaged 38 against that same Giants team in the regular season.

Danny White was better than Tony Romo...and Danny White never had a legion of apologist making every excuse in the world to why White was not able to get the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

I've seen enough from Dak Prescott to know that I would take him over Tony Romo any day of the week.
Kellso
DannyDuberstein said:

I would have loved to have seen Romo with a coordinator/coach not named Jason Garrett
I would have loved to see Tony Romo not turn the ball over when the Dallas Cowboys needed him the most.

hph6203
AG
The Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season in 2007, scored 36 points a game, and scored 3 fewer points than that Cowboys team did.

And in case you can't figure it out from that, the Patriots were the most talented offense. The Colts also had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Anthony Martinez (who had a very good year that year) and Peyton Manning.

Romo was, statistically, the most clutch quarterback in the NFL during his playing years. The numbers back it up. He had more 4th quarter comebacks in his career per start than any other quarterback in the top 20 in comebacks. He had the highest quarterback rating in the NFL in the 4th quarter in history when he retired.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/you-think-tony-romo-wasnt-clutch-in-big-moments-during-his-career-think-again/amp/

My point is not that Romo is better than Dak. It's that there, so far, is not much that separates them. They are both good quarterbacks. You insist that Romo was bad. He wasn't. The team around him often was. He spent alot of his career playing with a bottom 12 running game. The one year he had a top tier running attack he was 2nd team all pro. And deserved it. Dak has never played with one outside the top 10, so of course his teams look better.

The team this year is far and away the most talented they've had on offense since the Super Bowls. It's not even close.
Kellso
hph6203 said:

The Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season in 2007, scored 36 points a game, and scored 3 fewer points than that Cowboys team did.

And in case you can't figure it out from that, the Patriots were the most talented offense. The Colts also had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Anthony Martinez (who had a very good year that year) and Peyton Manning.

Romo was, statistically, the most clutch quarterback in the NFL during his playing years. The numbers back it up. He had more 4th quarter comebacks in his career per start than any other quarterback in the top 20 in comebacks. He had the highest quarterback rating in the NFL in the 4th quarter in history when he retired.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/you-think-tony-romo-wasnt-clutch-in-big-moments-during-his-career-think-again/amp/

My point is not that Romo is better than Dak. It's that there, so far, is not much that separates them. They are both good quarterbacks. You insist that Romo was bad. He wasn't. The team around him often was. He spent alot of his career playing with a bottom 12 running game. The one year he had a top tier running attack he was 2nd team all pro. And deserved it. Dak has never played with one outside the top 10, so of course his teams look better.

The team this year is far and away the most talented they've had on offense since the Super Bowls. It's not even close.
Not even Close??????

The 2007 Cowboys had thee Pro Bowl Lineman in Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis and Flozell Adams. Davis and Adams were both 2nd team All Pro.

Terrell Owens and Jason Witten were both 1st team all Pro. I like the current crop of receivers, but none of them are as good as TO.
Blake Jarwin and Shultz are solid, but not as good as Witten.

Marion Barber made the Pro Bowl that year as a tailback.
DeMarcus Ware is superior to any current defensive player on the Cowboys.

The Great Tony Romo could only lead that squad to 17 points in their post season game. You can cite all the stats you want, but Romo's penchant for not protecting the ball is why the Cowboys did not accomplish more.

These interceptions listed on this video are horrendous. and this is why Dak Prescott is superior to Tony Romo. Dak doesn't make stupid decisions in crunch time.

PatAg
AG
Kellso said:

hph6203 said:

Not even Close??????

The 2007 Cowboys had thee Pro Bowl Lineman in Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis and Flozell Adams. Davis and Adams were both 2nd team All Pro.

Terrell Owens and Jason Witten were both 1st team all Pro. I like the current crop of receivers, but none of them are as good as TO.

The Great Tony Romo could only lead that squad to 17 points in their post season game. You can cite all the stats you want, but Romo's penchant for not protecting the ball is why the Cowboys did not accomplish more.

These interceptions listed on this video are horrendous. and this is why Dak Prescott is superior to Tony Romo. Dak doesn't make stupid decisions in crunch time.

Nah, you're wrong
hph6203
AG
Leonard Davis.
Casual Cynic
Leonard Davis was a monster when he felt like it.
hph6203
AG
He wasn't bad, but it's not like that I-line compares to the one we've had for the last several years save for last year where everyone was hurt. That I-line was more so "they finally don't suck" rather than a top tier O Line. They got accolades, but it was as much or more who they played for rather than how well they played.
Kellso
PatAg said:

Kellso said:

hph6203 said:

Not even Close??????

Nah, you're wrong
Got ya.

Im wrong....but what did Tony Romo ever accomplish with this team?

I actually do not have a problem with Romo the player....its his apologist like HPH that I have the real problem with.
I don't care how many yards you throw for....its all rendered moot if your quarterback cannot protect the ball.

This dude keeps bringing up Cabo....when in reality the game that I knew that Tony Romo would never get it done in Dallas is the Season opener against the New York Jets in 2011.

I can't think of a single game that Dak Prescott's poor play directly led to the Cowboys losing. Romo's fumble at the 1 yard line, and then subsequent interception (against the best corner in the NFL) cost them a very winnable game against an average Jets team.

Kellso
hph6203 said:

Leonard Davis.
Leonard Davis was a 3X Pro Bowl player from 2007-2009 and 2nd Team ALL Pro in 2007
I trust the evaluations of the NFL Media over some random chump on Texags.

This is a classic example of that Tony Romo hyperbole, and excuse making that drives me crazy.

Its not Tony Romo's fault that he couldn't protect the ball....its the surrounding cast.

To reiterate that it was other people's fault, and not Romo's...... I have to make BS hyperbolic statements like Dak is playing with talent that Romo never did.....AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Tony Romo played with plenty of talent when he was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. His penchant for turnovers is what doomed him in Dallas.

Dak Prescott is a better quarterback than Tony Romo because he makes much better decisions with the football, and does not turn it over.
PatAg
AG
Kellso said:

hph6203 said:

Leonard Davis.
Leonard Davis was a 3X Pro Bowl player from 2007-2009 and 2nd Team ALL Pro in 2007

This is a classic example of that Tony Romo hyperbole, and excuse making that drives me crazy.

Its not Tony Romo's fault that he couldn't protect the ball....its the surrounding cast.

To reiterate that it was other people's fault, and not Romo's...... I have to make BS hyperbolic statements like Dak is playing with talent that Romo never did.....AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Tony Romo played with plenty of talent when he was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. His penchant for turnovers is what doomed him in Dallas.

Nah
Kellso
PatAg said:

Kellso said:

hph6203 said:

Leonard Davis.

Nah
Yes.
Tony Romo never got the Cowboys past the divisional round of the playoffs.
hph6203
AG
Must've slept through the conference championship game that Dak took us to. Did we win?

Their production, to this point, on a per season basis, is basically the exact same. There is no argument you can make other than feelings that backs up your position.

Just going to point out. You're really, really bad at this.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When he says Dak doesn't turn it over, I guess he means except for the redzone INT in the playoff game they lost by 3 points

Anyone remember this one? Yikes. Should have been a pick 6

Kellso
DannyDuberstein said:

When he says Dak doesn't turn it over, I guess he means except for the redzone INT in the playoff game they lost by 3 points

Anyone remember this one? Yikes. Should have been a pick 6

I could make a long list of games where Tony Romo's carelessness with the ball is the direct reason the Cowboys lost the game.

Off the top of my head:

Seattle 2006
Pittsburg 2008
New York Jets in 2011
Washington Redskins in 2012.
Denver in 2013

That is what the moron that keeps repeating stats and production does not get.

Tony Romo was 23-36 for 342 yards in that 2011 loss to the New York Jets.
That production is rendered moot when you fumble on the 1 yard line when your team is up 7 with 8 minutes left, and a field goal puts the game out of reach.

The game is now tied, and Romo throws an interception which gives the New York Jets short field to kick the winning field goal.
Dak in that exact same situation is going to lead the team to the field goal attempt.

Romo had a long history of that crap....and its precisely why the Cowboys did not win more.
Romo's fans tend to act like his entire tenure was 2010-2013. Romo played with plenty of elite talent in Dallas.
There is no reason he shouldn't have won more games when he was in Dallas.

In 6 seasons I've seen enough from Dak to realize that he is a superior quarterback to Tony Romo.
hph6203
AG
Trailing in the 4th with <4 min

Tied in the 4th with <4 min

Leading in the 4th with <4 min

4th Quarter Overall

At Dak's current pace, he'll finish with 17 fewer TD passes and 6 fewer interceptions in the 4th quarter by the time he reaches the number of games Romo played in. Dak already has as many interceptions while trailing late game as Romo and has played half as many games. He doesn't throw the ball while leading much at all, and he's not blown it while the game is tied. Probably in part, because the offense isn't totally reliant on him moving the ball, because he's played behind an all-time level offensive line and he's consistently played with top 10 rushing attacks compared to Romo's 20th.

In order for Dak to match Romo's stats while trailing in the 4th with under 4 minutes he has to go:

95/106 (89%) 1100 yards 19 TDs and 0 INTs

He won't.

For the 4th quarter it's:

265/396 (67%) 3807 yds 42 TDs and 16 INTs

He might, but it's not going to be easy.

You're just wrong.
Legal Custodian
AG
Just curious if you could look at the first 4 years of Romo vs the first 4 years of Dak? Showing a full career vs using "current pace" is unfair as you assume the younger QB won't get better as anyone can tell that DAK is a different qb the past season and a half.

You also don't take into account the rushing stats?
hph6203
AG
This is Romo trailing with under 4 to go from 2006-2011.

Dak's numbers again:

The point I was making was not that Romo is substantially better than Dak in late-game situations. It was that he is not substantially worse, and the numbers really bear out that he's better than Dak and more protective of the ball.

This is 2016-2018 Dak trailing in the 4th with 4 min to go:

This is Dak 2019-Present

He may drastically improve in that situation, but it is unlikely that he's going to improve so dramatically that he becomes absolutely the best quarterback in history in those situations.

And Dak is not what I would consider to be a running quarterback. He scrambles and gains yards, but it's not going to make up the gap on a passing basis.

TyHolden
AG
i can't believe how much time is being put into comparing dak and romo
hph6203
AG
It's not that much time, you can pull all of that from:

https://stathead.com/football/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.