*** Rams / Saints ***

15,434 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah because they knew he was about to be asked about it at the pc so they gave him a quick answer. Has happened before too.

Yes it was a bad call. But it wasn't as bad as the narrative being pushed. And his call on 1st down was worse.
agsalaska
AG
I totally disagree. It was one of the worst calls in the history of the NFL.

But I dont internet argue. So we can agree to disagree.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Bunk Moreland
And I'll agree to disagree with your obvious hyperbole
Seven Costanza
AG
birdman
I think it was pass interference. But it was split second, not the flagrant mistake that everybody is making it out to be. It just happened at critical time.

Saints had home cooking for most of the game. I also think they got a make up call in overtime.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

And I'll agree to disagree with your obvious hyperbole

It absolutely was one of the worst calls in nfl history. You're just still butthurt about the Steelers
Bunk Moreland
Nah. Pitt found a handful of bizarre ways to lose other games this year. I actually don't blame missing the playoffs on that game. And that's the point. Too many other things happened in the season for them and the game for the Saints to sit there and act like it came down to that play.

Run the ball on 1st down like every other coach and dont be cute and you're making plans for Atlanta. Instead you're crying about humans making a mistake on a fast moving bang bang play.
PatAg
AG
birdman said:

I think it was pass interference. But it was split second, not the flagrant mistake that everybody is making it out to be. It just happened at critical time.

Saints had home cooking for most of the game. I also think they got a make up call in overtime.
No need to rewrite history. It was easy to call live, and more obvious on replay.
BMX Bandit
birdman said:

It was flagrant mistake & saints had lots of home cooking
mAgnoliAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Nah. Pitt found a handful of bizarre ways to lose other games this year. I actually don't blame missing the playoffs on that game. And that's the point. Too many other things happened in the season for them and the game for the Saints to sit there and act like it came down to that play.

Run the ball on 1st down like every other coach and dont be cute and you're making plans for Atlanta. Instead you're crying about humans making a mistake on a fast moving bang bang play.

Definitely not even close to a bang bang play. But I did feel sorry for the Steelers on the screw job of the Browns by calling the fumble return dead or else they would've beat the ravens and the Steelers would've been in the playoffs
Broba Fett
When listening to whiny ass Saints coworkers tomorrow.

htxag09
AG
And pretty sure that defensive lineman pulled that crap twice. He (or it could've been another teammate) also stomped on Goff's arm after the missed face mask.
Ghost91
TXAG14 said:

Ouch.

Feb. 3, 2019 hasn't happened yet. Am I missing something?
Bunk Moreland

He purchased a live prop bet that would pay out if the Saints won the SB. They lost in the NFC title so they cannot win the SB.
BassCowboy33

This doesn't even mention allowing a game-tying drive in the final 90 seconds or the game-winning drive in OT.
htxag09
AG
Agnzona
All true just as it also true that if that PI is called they win.
htxag09
AG
True.

But what if they call a face mask on goff's run the previous drive? What if they called the false start on the saints non call PI drive? What if they called the horse collar on Goff on a third down sack in the second half? What if they called the multiple delay of games the saints got away with? What if they called personal fouls (or ejected) the saints defensive linemen who jumped and stepped on tackled rams players on a couple different occasions? What if the saints stadium staff actually did their job and confiscated all the damn whistles (ok, probably doesn't change the game play but saves my sanity)?

They let both teams get away with crap all game, they let them play. The saints got away with more than the rams.
BassCowboy33
Agnzona said:

All true just as it also true that if that PI is called they win.

My head coach in college used to say, "If your excuse for losing is that the calls didn't go your way, you didn't deserve to win the game."
Kellso
Los Angeles is in the Super Bowl. WOW!

First time since 1983 a Los Angeles team will be represented in the Super Bowl.
Boston vs LA for the title, and this has nothing to do with the Celtics or Lakers.

Gramercy Riffs
AG
htxag09 said:

But what if they call a face mask on goff's run the previous drive?
Let's use the logic I've seen applied to the Saints so many times with these "still had a chance to win" comments. The Rams still had two plays from inside the 2-yard line after that. Missing something that happened for a split second left the Rams with two more chances to go six feet. Missing something that everyone in the stadium saw resulted in the Saints kicking on 4th and 10.

Quote:

What if they called the horse collar on Goff on a third down sack in the second half?
There's no horse collar rule for tackling the quarterback inside the pocket. I've seen this play mentioned on a few threads (and maybe it's you every time - I haven't noticed if so). It's a weak example that should be pulled from your rant, as it just makes it seem like you don't know the rules.

Quote:

What if they called the multiple delay of games the saints got away with?
The Rams got away with two of them as well. And a third play where instead of a delay of game or the resulting incomplete pass (on third down no less), the Rams were awarded a gift timeout. If you know how delay of game is called, you shouldn't have a problem with these. The back judge watches the play clock, and when it hits zero, he turns his attention to the ball. If it's been snapped by the time he picks up the center, there is no flag. The ball is frequently snapped during that split second, which is technically after the play clock hits zero. Every team gets away with it, and both teams got away with it on Sunday. This is one where stopping the video on the exact frame where the clock hits zero doesn't mean much. You could do that three of four times per game all season long. Delays are only called when they're obvious, and even casual fans understand that.

Quote:

What if they called personal fouls (or ejected) the saints defensive linemen who jumped and stepped on tackled rams players on a couple different occasions?
It happened once, and he was clearly trying to jump over the player and didn't make it. The Rams have a player who has a history of this sort of thing, but the Saints do not. The still photos that show the Saints foot on the Rams facemask don't show any kind of context and are being used to further a very weak talking point. Even the player on the ground didn't say anything about it to the refs. Ejection? Give me a break. You're not even attempting to be rational at this point.

Quote:

What if the saints stadium staff actually did their job and confiscated all the damn whistles (ok, probably doesn't change the game play but saves my sanity)?
You're really starting to fade here. It's pretty obvious based on your posts that you don't like the Saints - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

They let both teams get away with crap all game, they let them play.
Everyone on both sides would be fine with "letting them play" if the final blown call doesn't happen. In fact, it was reported before the game ever began that this crew threw the fewest flags during the regular season. But there's a reason nobody in the press is talking about all the little things that were overlooked throughout the game - they didn't have a direct, immediate impact on the outcome. I'm all for the idea that bad calls happen and they typically even out over the course of a game. But we're only talking about one call today, because that's how bad the last one was, and that's what kind of impact it had on the game. Bringing up all the little ones along the way doesn't accomplish much - they're not in the same league as the last call, which was absolutely unforgivable. Three kneels and a chip shot for the win. It's 99.99% sure the end of the game.

Quote:

The saints got away with more than the rams.
No sir. We all saw the other post where someone took the time to put together four screen caps of Saints penalties that weren't called. Actually, one of them was the jumping lineman, so call it three penalties because that play wasn't one. Saints fans can do the same for the Rams if they're so inclined. Two delays, a missed hold on a long third down conversion, a possible grounding call that didn't upset me too much but it was mentioned by the announcers, and a HUGE missed pass interference on third down in the second half that resulted in a Saints punt.

Bad calls happen. You know what doesn't usually happen? A bad call that makes the league office apologize within ten minutes. A bad call that has people on the competition committee vowing to make changes to the rule book in the offseason. A bad call that has fans of 31 teams, current and former players, current and former coaches, every sports talk host, and even other refs complaining about it. There's a big clue - how many times do you see refs eat their own? When they make a big deal about a call, you know it's bad. They didn't just miss one call - the league apologized for missing TWO different penalties they should have called on that hit.

There's quite a few people who seem to be okay with this because it happened to the Saints. Tired callbacks to the bounty scandal from ten years ago, a general disdain for Saints fans (or Cajuns/LSU fans), people upset (or jealous?) because the Saints have the coach they wish their team had, and even a bitter Steelers fan who can't get over a call from four weeks ago that doesn't remotely compare to what just happened. Switch the helmets and watch again. Put your team in that position and see how you feel about all those other calls versus the big one at the end. If this kind of screw job can happen to the Saints, it can happen to your team too. Or maybe it already has...

Dez caught the ball. Brady fumbled. The Saints were robbed. NFL officiating is a joke. And this year's Super Bowl is tainted.

This is my only post on this (which is partly the reason for the TL/DR length), so fire away...
Kellso
Gramercy Riffs said:

htxag09 said:

Let's use the logic I've seen applied to the Saints so many times with these "still had a chance to win" comments. The Rams still had two plays from inside the 2-yard line after that. Missing something that happened for a split second left the Rams with two more chances to go six feet. Missing something that everyone in the stadium saw resulted in the Saints kicking on 4th and 10.

Quote:

What if they called the horse collar on Goff on a third down sack in the second half?
There's no horse collar rule for tackling the quarterback inside the pocket. I've seen this play mentioned on a few threads (and maybe it's you every time - I haven't noticed if so). It's a weak example that should be pulled from your rant, as it just makes it seem like you don't know the rules.

Quote:

The Rams got away with two of them as well. And a third play where instead of a delay of game or the resulting incomplete pass (on third down no less), the Rams were awarded a gift timeout. If you know how delay of game is called, you shouldn't have a problem with these. The back judge watches the play clock, and when it hits zero, he turns his attention to the ball. If it's been snapped by the time he picks up the center, there is no flag. The ball is frequently snapped during that split second, which is technically after the play clock hits zero. Every team gets away with it, and both teams got away with it on Sunday. This is one where stopping the video on the exact frame where the clock hits zero doesn't mean much. You could do that three of four times per game all season long. Delays are only called when they're obvious, and even casual fans understand that.

Quote:

What if they called personal fouls (or ejected) the saints defensive linemen who jumped and stepped on tackled rams players on a couple different occasions?
It happened once, and he was clearly trying to jump over the player and didn't make it. The Rams have a player who has a history of this sort of thing, but the Saints do not. The still photos that show the Saints foot on the Rams facemask don't show any kind of context and are being used to further a very weak talking point. Even the player on the ground didn't say anything about it to the refs. Ejection? Give me a break. You're not even attempting to be rational at this point.

Quote:

What if the saints stadium staff actually did their job and confiscated all the damn whistles (ok, probably doesn't change the game play but saves my sanity)?
You're really starting to fade here. It's pretty obvious based on your posts that you don't like the Saints - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

Everyone on both sides would be fine with "letting them play" if the final blown call doesn't happen. In fact, it was reported before the game ever began that this crew threw the fewest flags during the regular season. But there's a reason nobody in the press is talking about all the little things that were overlooked throughout the game - they didn't have a direct, immediate impact on the outcome. I'm all for the idea that bad calls happen and they typically even out over the course of a game. But we're only talking about one call today, because that's how bad the last one was, and that's what kind of impact it had on the game. Bringing up all the little ones along the way doesn't accomplish much - they're not in the same league as the last call, which was absolutely unforgivable. Three kneels and a chip shot for the win. It's 99.99% sure the end of the game.

Quote:

No sir. We all saw the other post where someone took the time to put together four screen caps of Saints penalties that weren't called. Actually, one of them was the jumping lineman, so call it three penalties because that play wasn't one. Saints fans can do the same for the Rams if they're so inclined. Two delays, a missed hold on a long third down conversion, a possible grounding call that didn't upset me too much but it was mentioned by the announcers, and a HUGE missed pass interference on third down in the second half that resulted in a Saints punt.

Bad calls happen. You know what doesn't usually happen? A bad call that makes the league office apologize within ten minutes. A bad call that has people on the competition committee vowing to make changes to the rule book in the offseason. A bad call that has fans of 31 teams, current and former players, current and former coaches, every sports talk host, and even other refs complaining about it. There's a big clue - how many times do you see refs eat their own? When they make a big deal about a call, you know it's bad. They didn't just miss one call - the league apologized for missing TWO different penalties they should have called on that hit.

There's quite a few people who seem to be okay with this because it happened to the Saints. Tired callbacks to the bounty scandal from ten years ago, a general disdain for Saints fans (or Cajuns/LSU fans), people upset (or jealous?) because the Saints have the coach they wish their team had, and even a bitter Steelers fan who can't get over a call from four weeks ago that doesn't remotely compare to what just happened. Switch the helmets and watch again. Put your team in that position and see how you feel about all those other calls versus the big one at the end. If this kind of screw job can happen to the Saints, it can happen to your team too. Or maybe it already has...

Dez caught the ball. Brady fumbled. The Saints were robbed. NFL officiating is a joke. And this year's Super Bowl is tainted.

This is my only post on this (which is partly the reason for the TL/DR length), so fire away...

The saints fan whining is getting old. Lets face it. They wanted to win on a technicality. not based on what actually happened on the field.

There is nothing guaranteed that the saints player was going to catch the ball. Was it a missed penalty? Sure it was....but the Saints still had plenty of chances to win the game...and they failed.

Here are the facts:
1. The Saints never trailed until they lost in overtime
2. The Saints were ahead with 1 minute left in the game.
3. The Saints were ahead with 30 seconds left in the game
4. the saints got the ball first in overtime.
5. saints were at home

Despite all that....they still lost.

New Orleans choked that game away on Sunday. Putting it on the officials and one bad call is an attempt to deflect from their team choking away a winnable game to Los Angeles.

The rams had plenty of poor calls go against them....and if the face mask penalty is called the Rams are most likely winning 24-20 instead of the game being tied.
Bregxit
AG
For everyone poopooing the idea that the Saints were screwed, how did y'all feel about this when it happened?

Jason Ag
Vernada
AG
Quote:

Here are the facts:
None of that is relevant if the blatant PI is called.
Old Tom Morris
What's crazy to me is that if the DB just looks for the ball, that's a likely Pick Six. Such an ill advised throw given the situation.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Kellso said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

htxag09 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The saints fan whining is getting old. Lets face it. They wanted to win on a technicality. not based on what actually happened on the field.

There is nothing guaranteed that the saints player was going to catch the ball. Was it a missed penalty? Sure it was....but the Saints still had plenty of chances to win the game...and they failed.

Here are the facts:
5. saints were at home

Despite all that....they still lost.

New Orleans choked that game away on Sunday. Putting it on the officials and one bad call is an attempt to deflect from their team choking away a winnable game to Los Angeles.

The rams had plenty of poor calls go against them....and if the face mask penalty is called the Rams are most likely winning 24-20 instead of the game being tied.

It does not matter if he would have caught the ball. If the ball was catchable is all that matters for PI. That does not even matter for the hit to a defenseless receiver that the league also agrees was completely missed on that play.

Yes there were chances after that but with a proper all that matters is if they fumble or miss the chip shot field goal.

As for winning on a technicality. Every flag is a technicality. That is a fallacious argument.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

What's crazy to me is that if the DB just looks for the ball, that's a likely Pick Six. Such an ill advised throw given the situation.
True but that assumes the defender was in the right position and knew the pass was under thrown. If the defender turns and slows to look for the ball and it is not under thrown it is a touchdown. The defender even said that in an interview.
Kellso
Vernada said:

Quote:

Here are the facts:
None of that is relevant if the blatant PI is called.
My point again...... is that deep down the Saints fans wanted to win on a technicality.

The Saints wanted to win the game based on a non called penalty.....that is Bullcrap.

The Saints had all the opportunities in the world to win that game and they blew it.
The whining about the missed penalty call is an attempt to distract people from the fact the Saints choked.

The Saints got the ball first in overtime...at HOME. What more can you ask for?

If the facemask is called on Goff. The Rams get the ball 1st and Goal at the 2 yard line and are probably up 24-20 instead of the game being tied. There is also a lot more time ran off the clock if they score the hypothetical touchdown on 2nd or 3rd down.

Guess what folks? Bad calls happen. Missed Calls happen.

If the Saints Defense makes Goff fumble or throw an interception the missed passed inference call is moot.
Vernada
AG
I'm nowhere close to a Saints fan.

This was the worst call I've ever personally witnessed and it can't be compared to a standard 'missed call.'

Regular missed calls don't result in 100s of news articles discussing them.

Honestly, I can't figure out why people like you are trying to dismiss such an awful non-call. The correct call gets made, 100% the Saints are in the Superbowl. It's pretty rare to be able to absolutely point to one call with that level of magnitude impact to a game.

Vernada
AG
Quote:

My point again...... is that deep down the Saints fans wanted to win on a technicality.
and to add one more - asking for the right call to be made isn't a 'technicality',

Recognizing how awful the non-call was isn't a technicality.

Until that point, the Saints had done what was needed to win. And if the obviously correct call is made, they win.
htxag09
AG
dlance said:

For everyone poopooing the idea that the Saints were screwed, how did y'all feel about this when it happened?

Pretty sure I was pissed, but moved on with my life....

Don't think I filed a lawsuit over the game or created/signed a petition to have the game replayed.....

Also, I'm a neutral fan here, don't like the Rams nor dislike the Saints. ***I may be a little biased over this specific issue, though, simply because of how LSU fan's are still saying they only lost our game because of the officiating.....
Kellso
Vernada said:

This was the worst call I've ever personally witnessed and it can't be compared to a standard 'missed call.'

Honestly, I can't figure out why people like you are trying to dismiss such an awful non-call. The correct call gets made, 100% the Saints are in the Superbowl. It's pretty rare to be able to absolutely point to one call with that level of magnitude impact to a game.

I'm dismissing it....because the whiners sound like my 10 year old Nephew.

"its not fair" sniffle, sniffle,

Guess what folks, life is not fair. Bad calls happen. That call did not cost you the game.
You have to still go out and win the damn game....and the Saints repeatedly failed to do that.

You guys are acting like that call was made with 10 seconds left in the game. We have no clue if the Rams might get the ball with 35 seconds left and move 40 yards in 3 plays to get the game tying field goal.

The Saints led the entire game. They led with a minute left in the game. They had the ball first in overtime. They were at home were they supposedly have the best home field advantage in the NFL.

All this talk about the call is an attempt to deflect from their own failures.

Bregxit
AG
Kellso said:

Vernada said:

I'm dismissing it....because the whiners sound like my 10 year old Nephew.

"its not fair" sniffle, sniffle,

Guess what folks, life is not fair. Bad calls happen. That call did not cost you the game.
You have to still go out and win the damn game....and the Saints repeatedly failed to do that.

You guys are acting like that call was made with 10 seconds left in the game. We have no clue if the Rams might get the ball with 35 seconds left and move 40 yards in 3 plays to get the game tying field goal.

The Saints led the entire game. They led with a minute left in the game. They had the ball first in overtime. They were at home were they supposedly have the best home field advantage in the NFL.

All this talk about the call is an attempt to deflect from their own failures.

There was 1:45 on the clock and the Rams had one timeout left. It would have been 1st and goal. The only way there would have been 35 seconds left is if the Rams allowed a TD. The Saints could have run the clock down to nothing.
Coppell97
AG
To those saying Saints fans need to move on, how would you be reacting if a call like this kept A&M from a playoff win and from advancing to the national championship game?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.