*****Alliance of American Football*****

11,798 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Olsen
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CBS has technical problems in commentary
Nom de Plume
AG
It kinda sounds like censors are muting field mics.
BassCowboy33
Nom de Plume said:

That's exactly what it sounds like.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Nom de Plume said:

That's exactly what it sounds like.

It's annoying. They need to figure out how to not have it affect the announcers.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
The female ref almost upheld that no TD call. Terrible.
Roger Goodell
Marcus Aurelius said:

The female ref almost upheld that no TD call. Terrible.

Oh, shut up
Mr.Bond
AG
Who made that giant hit on the qb? Who was qb?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Yellerjacket
I don't know if I like this "Illegal Defense" crap.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Errr. GTH.
txagman1998
AG
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for kickoffs in football. Looking back on the first half, it really didn't bother me that there wasn't a kickoff after each score. Seems like taking the kickoff out of the game won't really change the flow of the game.
Olsen
AG
Garrett Gilbert plays well in Steve Spurrier's fun 'n' gun offense.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I gave up at the 8:34 mark of the first quarter. If you can't pass rush more than 5 guys at a time, and if they all must be on the line of scrimmage, this isn't football.

I would rather watch Larry the Cable Guy and a bunch of other hackers play Pebble Beach.

I doubt I'll tune in again to this farce.
Roger Goodell
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

I gave up at the 8:34 mark of the first quarter. If you can't pass rush more than 5 guys at a time, and if they all must be on the line of scrimmage, this isn't football.

I would rather watch Larry the Cable Guy and a bunch of other hackers play Pebble Beach.

I doubt I'll tune in again to this farce.

Yes you will. I actually know you will. In my region they displayed the Legends bs Apollos game. Steve Spurrier has a field day.
I'm pretty sure I won't. I'm not against minor league football, as I grew up on the San Antonio Toros, and they were bad ass. (Go google them) But to have to watch a game with watered down rules, which is essentially a testing ground for what the NFL is going to eventually shove down our throats isn't my cup of tea.

Quote:

In my region they displayed the Legends bs Apollos game.
You said it best, whether you meant to or not.

You guys feel free to enjoy it.
Roger Goodell

I'm pretty sure I won't. I'm not against minor league football, as I grew up on the San Antonio Toros, and they were bad ass. (Go google them) But to have to watch a game with watered down rules, which is essentially a testing ground for what the NFL is going to eventually shove down our throats isn't my cup of tea.

Quote:

In my region they displayed the Legends bs Apollos game.
You said it best, whether you meant to or not.

You guys feel free to enjoy it.

Watered down rules?

It's been great to watch so far!
Watered down rules:

Can only pass rush 5 players, and all must be on the LOS
No kickoffs
No PATs
No onside kicks
Sky Judge that clearly missed the 3rd and 4 that was awarded a first down
Hines Ward prancing out to place the ball on the ground to open the game

Like I said, 7 minutes of that garbage was enough for me.
JDL 96
I just watched the 10 min YouTube highlights of the SA Commanders game and thought it looked pretty good. I didn't watch anything on CBS, but I MAY tune in next weekend if time permits.
I'm interested. I suspect my interest is related to the fact that I moved on from the NFL a few years ago, but I really DO like football. If there's a decent option on now, I'd be interested.
MB19
AG

Watered down rules:

Can only pass rush 5 players, and all must be on the LOS
No kickoffs
No PATs
No onside kicks
Sky Judge that clearly missed the 3rd and 4 that was awarded a first down
Hines Ward prancing out to place the ball on the ground to open the game

Like I said, 7 minutes of that garbage was enough for me.
Since only items 1-4 are about their rules....

1) Polian himself stated that the reason for this rule was to give OL's a chance to gel. And not give defenses a huge advantage in a brand new league.
2) No kickoffs. Since most kickoffs nowadays are touchbacks, this makes sense.
3) No PATs: This actually is not new. The old World Football League of the 1970s had what they called the action point rather than kicking a PAT. Had they gone with the dropkick for the PAT, that would have been cool.
4) On the no onside kicks having that one 4th & 12 shot instead is a good compromise when it comes to rule changes.

Leagues like this are a great place to experiment with the rules, so why not?
Rex Racer
AG
Watching the Memphis vs Birmingham game. The guys are so happy to be playing football again that every single play someone is acting like they just won the Super Bowl.
Olsen
AG
Good to know that Mike Singletary still sucks as a football coach.
CrottyKid
AG
How is Knight doing? Is he the starter?
GreasenUSA
AG
Knight was beat out by John Wolford, but the announcers said that special packages have been put in to get Trevor in the game.
CrottyKid
AG
Thanks
BassCowboy33
Wolford looked really good.
Frok
AG
It wasn't great but it was football during a time of year when sports are a little dry.
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Good to know that Mike Singletary still sucks as a football coach.
. . .

Quote:

AAF co-founder Bill Polian told the Athletic's Lindsay Jones that he reached out to free agent Colin Kaepernick about continuing his career in the league. "I don't know what transpired, but he's obviously not playing," Polian said. Polian also said he personally spoke to Tim Tebow about playing in the league, but Tebow is wrapped up in a baseball career with the Mets. Kap continues to hold out hope for a second shot at the NFL, but that seems highly unlikely at this point. Kaepernick hasn't played a down of football since 2016. The AAF enjoyed a fine opening weekend last week and will try to build on it this Saturday and Sunday.

The Associated Press reports free agent Colin Kaepernick would only "consider" playing in the AAF for $20 million or more. It's hardly a surprise for a player who believes he is being illegally blackballed from the NFL and made $14.3 million his most recent year in the league. The AAF, of course, pays nowhere near those wages.
The Milkman
AG
What a sack of ****. Every other player is on a $250k/3 year contract and he says he wants $20 million.

Such a martyr. What a hero. I wonder if the AAF is colluding against him as well
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Lets be honest though. he never had any intention of playing in the AAF. he just needed to throw a big enough # out there that would make the AAF go "**** that!"
CrottyKid
AG
Put Knight in!
. . .
Quote:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/19/nhl-owner-saves-the-aaf/

A new generation of football almost died before it got old.

David Glenn of TheAthletic.com reports that Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon dumped $250 million into the Alliance of American Football last week in order to save the upstart operation from imploding after only one week.

Absent the nine-figure infusion, the AAF may have missed payroll last Friday.

And there were indeed payroll issues. An agent who represents multiple AAF players alerted PFT on Friday that some paychecks weren't received. The AAF attributed the delay to an administrative glitch.
Quote:

AAF Needed $250 Million Investment to Avoid Missing Payroll

The Alliance of American Football is only a few weeks old and already it has encountered the biggest problem that plagues most startup leagues.

According to a report from The Athletic, the AAF despite a good ratings debut, was running low on cash with the possibility of missing payroll before its second weekend of play.

But then Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon stepped up and made a $250 million investment in the league. With the new infusion of funds on hand, Dundon will reportedly be named the league's new chairman on Tuesday. Dundon paid $420 million for the Hurricanes in January 2018.

The league later confirmed Dundon's contribution.

"Without a new, nine-figure investor, nobody is sure what would have happened," a source told the Athletic. "You can always tell people their checks are going to be a little late, but how many are going to show up on the weekend for games when they don't see anything hit their bank accounts on Friday?"

KidDoc
AG
Hopefully their advertising revenue will increase with the good ratings. I'm sure the air time was a hard thing to sell at least at first.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Steve Spurrier's Orlando team has to practice in Georgia, because the AAF is a rinky dink organization who can't provide insurance for it's players.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/20/18233238/aaf-orlando-apollos-practicing-georgia-steve-spurrier

From the comments -
Nice of the Old Ball Coach to let the team use his private property for practices.
Since he's owned Georgia for decades...
Iowaggie
AG
The AAF has a legal issue now.

Also, the report that Dundon invested $250 million is not totally accurate. He has committed to do it, but has an agreement that he can stop at any time if he decides it isn't worth it.

But they are doing better TV ratings-wise, for now

expresswrittenconsent
Iowaggie said:

The AAF has a legal issue now.

Also, the report that Dundon invested $250 million is not totally accurate. He has committed to do it, but has an agreement that he can stop at any time if he decides it isn't worth it.

thats not good.
$250m but can stop funding tomorrow.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.