So 3 years later that's now a catch ?

3,349 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rudyjax
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good to know NFL
zephyr88
AG
Yes

Tony Romo is now the GOAT, thanks Dez
Matsui
AG
Heck that wasn't a catch pitt vs pats game this season
mts6175
AG
It wasn't a catch 2 weeks ago.....
PooDoo
AG
I don't think either of those TD's were catches.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
WAAAAAAAAA

That was clearly a TD. Took 5 steps before diving to endzone. Completely different than getting tackled to ground and losing the ball.
Southlake
Neither were catches.
BMX Bandit
Hi, Im Brett said:

WAAAAAAAAA

That was clearly a TD. Took 5 steps before diving to endzone. Completely different than getting tackled to ground and losing the ball.

Exactly.

He was clearly running towards end zone.
jr15aggie
AG
Lol, so now it's 5 steps? Why not 10?

Point is the rule sucks and needs definition. Cowboy fans have been miserable watching the playoffs and yet that exact same type of play cost us getting into the NFC championship game at the end if the 4th quarter. The only difference was the ref in our game had a different opinion. Sucks!
BMX Bandit
the Dez catch (yes, it was) and that catch were not "exact same type of play"

94chem
Went home and watched Dez replay last night. The subtle differences between the plays are, well, subtle. In both plays the player demonstrated control, then extended the ball toward the goal line. The problem, I think, is what would have been called if the ball had come loose either a millisecond before hitting the ground or breaking the plane. Would a fumble have been called on either play?
BMX Bandit
And the not subtle difference is that ertz turned and started running, which Dez didn't do
94chem
Just count the number of footfalls after the balls were caught. No need for melodrama.
94chem
3 steps in both cases. The shoulder blades of the Eagles' receiver turned more. How many degrees do the shoulder blades need to turn? Is it a TD just because it was a crossing route?

Need to look at it from when it could have been ruled a fumble, not from the perspective of what demonstrates a catch.
aggietony2010
AG
BMX Bandit said:

And the not subtle difference is that ertz turned and started running, which Dez didn't do

Exactly. I think the rule is idiotic as written. But dez was immediately stumbling, and Ertz was fully in control and upright until his third step.
God save the Patriarchy!
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm not a cowboys fan. Dez's catch was just that a catch. Arian Foster's catch and run into the end zone was a catch. and so on and so on.

last night, the NFL must have said something to the refs or the refs decided for themselves that they were not going to let BS legalese ruin the Super Bowl. thankfully, someone finally woke up.
PooDoo
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

WAAAAAAAAA

Looked like he got tripped on his 3rd step to me.
94chem
We've all seen the risk of extending the ball toward the goal line. It can get knocked out and hit the pylon for a touchback, etc. The Cowboys won a game this season on a play like that.

I would have loved to see the ruling if the Ertz had dropped the ball 1 inch before crossing the goal line.
Agnzona
The NFL created this mess. Drop the stupid maintain it to the ground and some BS. Instant control and 2 feet in is a catch. Anything after is a fumble.
Agnzona
Btw I saw a highlight from past Superbowls and I don't recall the particulars but receiver catches ball standing flat footed in the end zone. Defender takes 1 to 2 steps after catch and blows him up, they called it incomplete. No one complained or even questioned it yet it was clearly a TD.
94chem
Well, well, well...
BMX Bandit
94chem said:

Well, well, well...

Your errors above haven't changed.
Azariah
AG
Jesus ****ing christ.

The people in the NFL says it should have been a catch, but that the rules were applied accurately at the time. It was a statement about needing to amend the rule rather than saying the refs got it wrong.
MooreTrucker
AG
And from what I heard yesterday, they will be rewriting the rule with language to make anything like Dez's catch a by-the-rules catch. The guy that was talking about it did point out that "making a football move" was not in the old rule and will not be in the new rule either.
TAZ99
AG
Rule should have been fixed after the Megatron TD catch in Chicago was taken off the board, 8 years ago.
ramblin_ag02
AG
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22858626/nfl-simplify-language-defines-completed-catch

Quote:

The proposal, tweeted Wednesday by senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron, establishes three elements of a catch: control, in bounds and a "football move."

Apparently the "football move" is recommended to be part of the new rule. I don't understand why there has to be a broadly subjective element. Why isn't "control and in bounds" good enough? Determining control is already subjective, but much less so than determining if someone made a "football move".

This definition also opens up ridiculous possibilities. Let's say the receiver catches a fade in the end zone and gets both feet down then goes out of bounds. Or a diving out of bounds catch dragging the toes. Neither of those catches has a "football move" involved, but both are obviously catches.

Trust the NFL to take an opportunity to fix a ridiculous controversy and instead turn it into an equally ridiculous controversy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rudyjax
AG
Control. 2 feet. COMPLETION.

ITS THAT SIMPLE.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Unthought Known said:

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

So someone jumps up and catches the ball and gets two feet down for a millisecond and then gets killed by the safety immediately. You want that to be a catch and then a fumble when the ball comes flying out? It would be easier to ref, but I think a lot of people would hate the rule. It would definitely be a huge change from the way they have called it in the past.
Rudyjax
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Unthought Known said:

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

So someone jumps up and catches the ball and gets two feet down for a millisecond and then gets killed by the safety immediately. You want that to be a catch and then a fumble when the ball comes flying out? It would be easier to ref, but I think a lot of people would hate the rule. It would definitely be a huge change from the way they have called it in the past.

Man. I would hate for him to die in that situation. But if he dies you have to give him the catch.
Rudyjax
AG
But sereiously, you are right. They are including a football move like reaching for the goal line.
03_Aggie
I think this just swings the pendulum back the other way. Now the controversy will be whether or not it's a fumble or an incomplete pass.
Rudyjax
AG
http://www.nfl.com/videos/football-101/0ap3000000852291/Football-Town-A-roster-move-that-opened-up-old-wounds

Secure, 2 feet or another body part, football move.

So tucking the ball, taking another step, reaching the ball, are all football moves.

Common sense wasn't always so common in the NFL.

Rudyjax
AG
03_Aggie said:

I think this just swings the pendulum back the other way. Now the controversy will be whether or not it's a fumble or an incomplete pass.
We will have more fumbles and they admitted it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.