Vince McMahon announcement today

25,519 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DSAg44 said:

AggieTFA06 said:

DSAg44 said:

Will Tim Tebow make a come back???
Johnny Manziel vs Tim Tebow would be PPV worthy
vy vs jff would get some interest as well
VY isn't even in the same universe as Manziel or Tebow in terms of the interest each would draw.
AggieFabricator
I could see a San Antonio franchise, Alamodome, the city has been active jockeying for a sports team. Just please be a cool mascot. San Antonio Roughnecks!?
BMX Bandit
Alliance of American Football jumps in front of new XFL and will start February 2019
ryanhnc10
AG
The Alliance just announced that Orlando will have a team and Steve Spurrier will be the coach
_lefraud_
AG
Kickers only have one job, well in this league, they will literally only have one job. No kickoffs, or extra points.
MooreTrucker
AG
OCEN99 said:

agproducer said:

I wonder which 8 cities will be chosen.

You have to think New York will be one of them, but I don't know if LA will get one. They have a hard time supporting the Rams and Chargers.

I think it will be these cities so the XFL can capitalize on football fans who've had it with the NFL:

1. New York (#1 media market)
2. St. Louis (lost NFL team due to stadium deal and is bitter)
3. Oakland (losing Raiders in 2020 due to stadium deal)
4. Orlando (#18 media market -- near Tampa #11)
5. San Antonio or Austin (#31 and #39 markets respectively, and neither has a team)
6. Raleigh (#20-something and could pull fans from Charlotte)
7. San Diego (lost NFL team due to stadium deal)
8. Chicago (league needs another Midwest team and the Bears have been mediocre for a LONG time)

Thoughts?
There has to be a team from Parts Unknown.
Do they still do that? Or did it go away with Gordon Soley and Mr. Wrestling?
Iowaggie
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Alliance of American Football jumps in front of new XFL and will start February 2019

Orlando, Atlanta, and now Memphis are first three franchises announced.
Orlando went with Spurrier.
Atlanta going with Brad Childress (Michael Vick the OC).

Mike Singletary is the coach.

I like how professional the AAF announcement is.

Not sure what you can afford to produce? How about Hines Ward in a white t-shirt, filmed from a phone at his house?

Jackal99
AG
Oliver Luck leaving the NCAA to become XFL Commish

Quote:

Oliver Luck will become the first commissioner and chief executive officer of the XFL, it was announced Tuesday.

"The XFL will be a labor of love as I get to combine my experiences as a player and executive," Luck told ESPN in an email. "I'm thrilled to have this unique opportunity to reimagine the game that has been a constant in my life for 40 years."

Hope this works out for him...
strbrst777
I don't see Birmingham being one of the cities. I remember Birmingham Americans. I liked going back then in the 70s. BHAM in football country has over 1 million metro pop, but too much Alabama and Auburn. Legion Field is a negative. San Antonio? Yes!
Iowaggie
AG
Vince McMahon is investing even more in XFL now.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon sold more than three million shares of WWE stock on Wednesday with the goal of using the proceeds to fund his upcoming football league, according to the company's SEC filing.

McMahon offloaded 3,204,427 shares in the company at $84.87 each, meaning the sale netted him just under $272 million.

The SEC filing says McMahon plans to invest the money in another company, Alpha Entertainment, which he created in 2017 when he began planning the relaunch of the XFL.
. . .
LEJ
One of those 2 is a pear shaped loser.
Iowaggie
AG
I know that Fisher was interested in coaching in the AAF and the Memphis coaching decision came down to him and Singletary, and while Fisher had spent a season in Memphis with the Oilers, the team choose Singletary because he "fit" Memphis better.
. . .
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/05/xfl-to-air-on-abc-espn-fox-sports-and-fs1/

Quote:

The XFL today announced multi-year agreements with ESPN and FOX Sports to televise XFL games starting with its inaugural 2020 season. XFL games will air weekly on broadcast TV (ABC and FOX) complemented by games on cable (ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 and FS2). The XFL TV schedule allows for consistent appointment viewing each week with back-to-back games starting Saturday afternoons at 2 pm ET as well as two additional games on Sunday afternoons.

The XFL will kick off on Saturday, February 8, 2020 with teams in Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington D.C. Additional XFL-themed programming and on-air talent will be announced in the future.
Olsen
AG
This is an absolute monster TV deal compared to what the AAF had.
expresswrittenconsent
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Are we sure that is true, though?
The AAF was basically paying for the airtime/slots to be on TV- this could be a similar deal for XFL. Those networks sound pretty impressive (except for FS1, which is trash) but the AAF being on TNT, CBS, CBS Sports, and NFLNetwork sounded pretty impressive, too. But with only tv exposure and no money the AAF didnt last 2 months. Very little chance the XFL2.0 sees a 2nd season. Virtually zero chance they see a 3rd season.
LEJ
Vince is dumping truckloads of $ this time. It might actually fly.
Iowaggie
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

It depends on how you look at it. AAF received revenue. XFL isn't actually getting revenue from their TV deal, but they are getting a lot of exposure. As part of the deals, the broadcast partners will cover the production costs of the games which run $400,000 per game.

Vince isn't going for the TV cash, he wants to partner with Disney/ABC/ESPN. ESPN rarely spoke about AAF unless it was the decline because it wasn't their property.

Saturday and Sunday doubleheaders, one game on Fox, one on ESPN/ABC.

Bunk Moreland
it's a smarter, safer play by the networks & Vince.

I think this has a good chance to get off the ground at this point.
Guitarsoup
AG
If you are Zach Evans, think of this: Do you take whatever Bama pays under the table or do you take 500k guaranteed for 3 years in the XFL then become NFL eligible?

More likely would be grade risks. Take money in the XFL or try to get eligible at Blinn?
expresswrittenconsent
XFL won't be around 3yrs but sure, if he can get money up front, why not.
LEJ
As time passes, I'm slightly more of the opinion that the XFL does actually have a chance.
Ag_07
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

if he can get money up front, why not.

I think people underestimate the benefits playing CFB at an elite place like Bama.

The facilities, the training, conditioning, nutrition, coaching, etc all probably better than what you'd get int he XFL.

I think all in all Bama would prepare you better for NFL than XFL would.
Olsen
AG
Bump. The XFL will announce official team names and logos tomorrow.
Olsen
AG
Livestream here:

. . .
Olsen
AG
Houston Roughnecks and Dallas Renegades.
Mr.Bond
AG
Olsen said:

Giant marketing Miss by not giving Houston the Columbia Blue color in my opinion
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Iowaggie
AG
Congrats to UAB's logo.

It went from not even playing football to skipping all the way to the "pros"
Guitarsoup
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Olsen said:

Giant marketing Miss by not giving Houston the Columbia Blue color in my opinion
Avoiding a lawsuit from the pieces of **** in the Adams family.
. . .

Mr.Bond
AG
Well we will try to copy new england in every other aspect too.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

IceAg08
AG
Where can I buy my #2 Roughneck jersey?
. . .
(Ugly) Uniforms unveiled tonight...

Dallas

Houston
Ag_07
AG
Those Dallas uniforms are ugly and the Houston ones aren't bad at all expect for the fact they're the exact same colors as the Texans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.