Battered Viking Syndrome

8,451 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PhatMack19 said:

So a quarterback from Texas just beat a quarterback from Texas, so he can play a quarterback from Texas in next weeks NFC Championship game...

Brees and Foles went to the same high school too. Austin Westlake.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Case Keenum pulls a Drew Breeze for the win - on Drew Breeze.
Ag_07
AG
birdman said:

NFL requires it to avoid any hint of point shaving.

But they didn't kick it. They knelt it. If they are so concerned about point shaving they would require an to be attempt made.

Just doesn't make any sense.
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Potcake
AG
Your spelling sucks, on so many levels.
Potcake
AG
k20dub said:

I originally thought that he was going for the big hit and missed but this angle shows that he was pulling back to avoid the PI.

Agnzona
Ag_07 said:

birdman said:

NFL requires it to avoid any hint of point shaving.

But they didn't kick it. They knelt it. If they are so concerned about point shaving they would require an to be attempt made.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Stupid NFL rule. They don't do it in overtime why require it in a playoff game with zero time on the clock?
TyHolden
AG
Potcake said:

k20dub said:

I originally thought that he was going for the big hit and missed but this angle shows that he was pulling back to avoid the PI.

he had the Vikings laying the 4 points
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Seven Costanza said:

They should change this stupid extra point rule. It makes no sense if there is no time left on the clock and you're leading by more than two points.
It doesn't make any sense at any time. If you're ahead by any amount of points, WTF would you do anything other than kneel down?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agnzona
In the regular season a tie breaker could come down to points so I understand vthat but not in the playoffs.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Agnzona said:

In the regular season a tie breaker could come down to points so I understand vthat but not in the playoffs.
Yeah, good point as far as the regular season goes. And I guess some kicker could have a bonus in his contract for scoring x number of points and he's going to be pissed if he misses it by one point.

But surely none of that matters in the playoffs? Apart from the sportsmanship considerations, imagine if someone gets hurt on a meaningless play at this time of year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seven Costanza
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Seven Costanza said:

They should change this stupid extra point rule. It makes no sense if there is no time left on the clock and you're leading by more than two points.
It doesn't make any sense at any time. If you're ahead by any amount of points, WTF would you do anything other than kneel down?

You could conceivably fumble the snap and have it returned for 2 points.
birdman
The two point play for offense hasn't been around that long by NFL standards. Defense could not block a kick and return it for two points until they changed that rule.

The mandatory extra point in regulation has been around forever. And people have complained about it forever.

NFL always says that it's here to stay because of point shaving and possible tie-breakers. I'm not saying that is legitimate, but that is what the NFL always says.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
birdman said:

NFL always says that it's here to stay because of point shaving and possible tie-breakers. I'm not saying that is legitimate, but that is what the NFL always says.
Well, as far as point shaving goes, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

It is not as if the Vikings actually give a damn whether people who bet on them win or lose money. No matter what they do there, somebody's mad.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm trying to envision a scenario in which making a team take a meaningless snap after the game is over prevents point shaving.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You could conceivably fumble the snap and have it returned for 2 points.
I would argue that this is essentially an impossibility at this level. The quarterback is going to take the ball directly from the center's hands and go to the ground. Has any attempt at a kneel down in an NFL game ever resulted in a turnover, much less a touchdown?

And even if such a thing had (or could) happen, why should the rules require a team to run a play where no possible outcome is better than the one they would get by not running a play?

This isn't chess; there is no zugzwang.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I'm trying to envision a scenario in which making a team take a meaningless snap after the game is over prevents point shaving.
Point shaving in the NFL, in general, just sounds like a really horrible idea. The principals in the contest usually have a far more valuable stake than could be won from participating in a two bit Mafia shaving ring.

If you want to fix a sporting contest, you fix mid-major college basketball or low level professional tennis.

There are essentially meaningless games in the regular season, like next year's Browns-Jets tilt, and I suppose I could see enforcing this rule during the regular season only.
Seven Costanza
AG
Oh I agree that it's a pointless rule.
jamaggie06
AG
Point shaving is a horrid justification for the rule. Point shaving requires a choice. If not needed, the kick should not happen. It removes choice. All gamblers would know, and understand the rule; a last second winning td doesnt get to kick the xp. As it is, you have situations like this. Where the team with the winning score can choose to affect the score but not the outcome, with zero risk. Its ripe for point shaving.
misterguinness
AG
Not quite as bad as the Rahim Moore misplay against the Ravens but very close. Dennis Allen should be fired. How you don't have 2-3 guys standing at the end zone in that situation is inexcusable.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
misterguinness said:

How you don't have 2-3 guys standing at the end zone in that situation is inexcusable.
No, the end zone isn't what you should be guarding--it's the upper limit of field goal range.

The much more plausible way for the Vikings to win that game is to hit a quick pass to the sidelines, step out, and then kick the field goal--you should be in a dime package with all your DBs on the 40 or so, and try to keep the receivers in front of you. Knock them down, if you have to--a holding or PI call that leads to a Hail Mary is a better option than a field goal attempt.

Instead, the Saints had a rookie safety in single coverage on the Vikings most talented receiver.
Agnzona
Exactly the point shaving excuse is bunk. Kicking it is where point shaving could easily occur.
reb,
AG
bert harbinson said:

is all too real. 50+ year history, never finding glory. So many great teams, yet playoff and Superbowl failures that are almost too numerous and ridiculous to be true. And here we are again hoping this time will be different. With a chance to be the first team to play a Superbowl in their own stadium, you get the feeling that the football gods (and the Vikes themselves) will somehow find a way to keep the misery alive.
Ah, what the hell. V-I-K-I-N-G-S!!!
It was so iconic for Case (im a huge fan of the UH coog and former Texas) to lead that SKOL chant on his home field right before he knelt out the PAT to win the game with the ball in his hands. Legendary.

OP, you've waited a long time to read an article like this. Enjoy sports fan heaven while it lasts!

The Vikings Finally Have Their Forever Moment
Quote:

Case Keenum's miraculous touchdown heave to Stefon Diggs did more than just lift Minnesota past the Saints. It brought catharsis to a team and fan base long on the wrong side of iconic playoff heartbreak.

Wife is an Aggie
As a lifelong Vikes fan and I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

For some reason my BVS is already kicking in saying that last night wouldn't have been good enough heartbreak.... instead they will wait for an epic meltdown in the super bowl or end of next weeks game.

As soon as Diggs caught it I was yelling "Get outta bounds" expecting a defender to be there.... I couldn't believe it.

What a game!

rackmonster
AG
jkag89 said:

If they had replay in 1975, the Hail Mary would have come back. Drew Pearson pushed Nate Wright out of the way when the ball was in the air. Paul Krause was the other Vick's DB right near the play, he was livid that there was no flag.
After the play, a fan threw a whiskey bottle at one of the refs, hit him in the head, he had to go to the hospital.
And after the game, in the Vikings locker room, they had to pull Fran Tarkenton aside, to inform him that his father, a Baptist minister down in Georgia, had passed away from a heart attack while watching the game on TV.
And Fran Tarkenton's fathers first name?.........
DALLAS
Weird I tell ya.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pass interference is not reviewable. That touchdown in 1975 would still be a touchdown in 2018.
rackmonster
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

For some reason my BVS is already kicking in saying that last night wouldn't have been good enough heartbreak.... instead they will wait for an epic meltdown in the super bowl or end of next weeks game.

As soon as Diggs caught it I was yelling "Get outta bounds" expecting a defender to be there.... I couldn't believe it.

What a game!

I'll be at the game here in Philly. Everybody here wanted Case instead of Drew. Well....be careful what you wish for.....this will be the first time I'll see the Vikings here in Philly since Dec 15, 1968. The game that made us Eagle fans famous....the Santa Claus Snowball game!!!
Santa started on our side of the field ( visitors bench)...I was 14...went down on the train with my younger brother. We started throwing at the Vikings bench...nothing malicious...it was soft powdery snow...the half ended..and Santa came out. The rest is history....
Any kid mean enough to throw snowballs at Santa Claus obviously needs rehabilitation.
My father insisted I go to Texas A&M..and join the Corps.
rackmonster
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Pass interference is not reviewable. That touchdown in 1975 would still be a touchdown in 2018.
You are correct. But Pearson pushed off.

I guess over a course of a lifetime, things even out.

Den Bryant up in Green Bay caught that ball...that was a TD.....as an Eagle fan, I was supposed to be happy about that, but I wasn't. I just hate to see a really good game get ruined by over-officiating
DannyDuberstein
AG
He definitely pushed off. But in 2018 officials still suck at calling PI, especially at unwillingness to call it on the WR. The Pats entire offense counts on it.
rackmonster
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

What a game!

That Dec 68 Vikings Eagles game here in Philly not only has a big place in Eagle history....it has a very special place in Minnesota Viking history.
After the 66 season the Vikings traded Fran Tarkenton to the Giants, and they fired their first head coach Norm Van Brocklin. They hired a guy who had mostly coached in Canada, Bud Grant, who brought a QB along with him, Joe Kapp.

When the Vikings came to Philly on the final day of the regular season, they needed to beat the Eagles..which they did handily 30-13 ( we finished 2-12). But the Vikings also needed help, and they got it when Green Bay beat the Bears in Chicago ( at Wrigley).

The Vikings went to past season play for the first time in their history. They went to Baltimore, played the Colts tough but lost. The Colts then went to Cleveland and shocked the Browns 34-0. Then they went to Super Bowl 3 . Joe Willie Namath.
rackmonster
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He definitely pushed off. But in 2018 officials still suck at calling PI, especially at unwillingness to call it on the WR. The Pats entire offense counts on it.
And Pearson almost dropped that ball. It was falling to the ground, he cradled it with his right hand as it was runnning down the back of his thigh.

Drew was a local kid....South River, New Jersey. Played his high school ball with Joe Theismann.
rackmonster
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

PhatMack19 said:

So a quarterback from Texas just beat a quarterback from Texas, so he can play a quarterback from Texas in next weeks NFC Championship game...

Brees and Foles went to the same high school too. Austin Westlake.
And they met in the playoffs here in Philly in 2013, Chip Kelly's first year.

As far as I know..there has been only one other time when 2 QBs from the same High School met in NFL post season play.

Dec 1974.....Joe Furguson (Arkansas) vs Terry Bradshaw ( La. Tech). They both went to Woodlawn High in Shreveport.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

Zimmer said the exact same thing at the press conference. Diggs may have been able to see that there was nothing but daylight ahead on the Jumbotron, but in any case it took incredible presence of mind to go against instinct in the moment and head for the end zone.
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks Reb, enjoyed the article. You're right, the Forever Moment is short-lived and a little hollow if not followed by a championship. Wife Is An Aggie captured the BVS sentiment that a bigger let-down may be lurking. The higher the climb, the farther and harder the fall.
We'll always have this week.
Iowaggie
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.