How does replay overturn this?

2,324 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rudyjax
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stop me if you've heard this, but the Pats just got the benefit of a call by the refs again. How in the hell does replay overturn this (called a TD on the field)?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/new-york-jets-vs-new-england-patriots-austin-seferian-jenkins-touchdown-video-nfl-news/1n3wilm3tjk5n1htspuiyjmckn
Mike Elko
AG
'Cause it's what the Patriots do... Squeak out wins every damn time. The NFL needs them to continue to be on top of a weak division. Despicable how the refs gave them this W, but what else is new?
Matilda
AG
Because some how the ref knew I started ASJ
Gigemags382
AG
DIdnt see it til you posted this. That is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
birdman
They missed that call about four different ways. Horrible officiating.
toucan82
#MakethePatsGreatAgain
RangerRick9211
AG
I think they made the right call. Definite fumble mid-air, definite recovery but was never re-established in-bounds. Same as the RGIII play a few years ago: link.

However, no way is there enough evidence to overturn the TD called on the field.

Edit: Changed my mind. His knee is down. Wrong call.
Beat40
First, let me say I am a Texan fan. Here is what I saw:

ASJ has possession while in bounds. Defender strips the ball while ASJ is in mid air. ASJ re-establishes possession and the first part of the field he hits is out of bounds. I don't think this part can be disputed.

HOWEVER, I see no where in the replays where they could have definitively said he fumbled before crossing the goal line. Unless they saw a view we didn't see, I don't see how you can overturn it either.
gougler08
AG
Beat40 said:

ASJ has possession while in bounds. Defender strips the ball while ASJ is in mid air. ASJ re-establishes possession and the first part of the field he hits is out of bounds. I don't think this part can be disputed.

HOWEVER, I see no where in the replays where they could have definitively said he fumbled before crossing the goal line. Unless they saw a view we didn't see, I don't see how you can overturn it either.
That's my view as well...I've seen way more obvious things not overturned due to "indisputable" evidence, so this one seriously blows my mind
RangerRick9211
AG
Beat40 said:

I think it's the reverse.

He definitely fumbled before the goal line.

No replay definitively shows him landing out of bounds first. I really think his left knee is down in-bounds before his shoulder hits out-of-bounds.

Edit for the knee screenshot:
Ag_07
AG
Looked like he regained possession of the ball then broke the plane. However, it wasn't obvious that was the case.

It also wasn't obvious that he didn't break the plane. Play should have stood. Not sure how on Earth there is definitive evidence to change the call on the field of a TD.
Beat40
RangerRick9211 said:

Beat40 said:

I think it's the reverse.

He definitely fumbled before the goal line.

No replay definitively shows him landing out of bounds first. I really think his left knee is down in-bounds before his shoulder hits out-of-bounds.

Edit for the knee screenshot:

I didn't see that picture before. So yeah, I agree with you.

Either way you look at it, still can't see how it was over turned.
Texags is garbage
Watching the Pats fans on reddit defend the call is fascinating.
Gigemags382
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

I think they made the right call. Definite fumble mid-air, definite recovery but was never re-established in-bounds. Same as the RGIII play a few years ago: link.

However, no way is there enough evidence to overturn the TD called on the field.

Edit: Changed my mind. His knee is down. Wrong call.
It's absolutely ****ing not the same thing.

In the RGIII link you posted, the ref's explanation was that after he lost possession of the football and regained possession, "he must maintain control of it throughout the process of going to the ground". Which he did not. RGIII lost the ball immediately as he hit the ground.

In the link posted in the OP regarding the ASJ call in the Jets game, the ref had a similar explanation towards the end of the article:

Quote:

"He lost the ball. It came out of his control as he was almost to the ground. Now he re-grasps the ball and by rule, now he has to complete the process of recovery, which means he has to survive the ground again. So in recovering it, he recovered, hit the knee, started to roll and the ball came out a second time. So the ball started to move in his hands this way ... he's now out of bounds in the end zone, which now created a touchback. So he didn't survive the recovery and didn't survive the ground during the recovery is what happened here."

Except that's not what ****ing happened. Show me where he lost the ball after he recovered the ball and came down in bounds inside the pylon. He never ****ing lost the ball after that.

I'm not a Jets fan. Not an ASJ owner. Not a Patriots hater (any more than others at least). I'm just so ****ing fed up with no one having a ****ing clue what simple football things like catches and fumbles are any more, particularly when it's the National ****ing Football League.

Seriously, where do you file criminal charges for this type of crap?
RangerRick9211
AG
jeffdjohnson
The replay people got way too cute there. They wanted to show everyone how smart they are and how well they know the rules. Yet somehow they missed the most important part of replay, don't change the call unless it is indisputable.
Rudyjax
AG
That is awful.

I say give them 3 replays. If they can't see it in 3 replays, then the call stands. If they have to dissect it and watch it over and over, then the call should stand.

If you're going to have replay, get it right.

No sense to have replay if you still get it wrong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.