Trade Dak?

2,917 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ac04
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the Cowboys truly think Romo is healthy and can play for 2-3 more years, would you consider trading Dak to Cleveland for the #1 and #12 overall picks in this year's draft?

Then you roll out a team with Romo, MylesGarrett and whatever other stud you pick at #12 to compete for a Super Bowl this season? It's an ultimate WIN NOW, short sighted for sure, move...but if it gets you an SB...would you do it?

ac04
no
MelvinUdall
Why would you do that unless it is to get the top pick, but even then I wouldn't do it. If you feel Romo can get it done, then start him and put Dak on the bench, you still control him for 2 more years.
ce1994
AG
There have been many quarterbacks that have been one year wonders. Kaepernick was thought to be the next big thing and fizzled big time.

I do not thing Prescott will do that. It seems with his mother and all he has a firm head on his shoulders. But i the guy starts wearing bow ties then watch out.
MelvinUdall
That is true, but you have him cheap and if he falls apart then you avoid a huge contract.
ce1994
AG
The Cowboys have him tied up another 3 years. That sucks for him but that is the way of the NFL. But if he keeps performing he will get his money.
jr15aggie
AG
ce1994 said:

The Cowboys have him tied up another 3 years. That sucks for him but that is the way of the NFL. But if he keeps performing he will get his money.

I heard something the other day that I wasn't aware of. There is a clause in the rookie contracts for guys drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Those 4 year contracts are dirt cheap, but if those players turn into starters and play X percentage of team snaps they get big bonuses.

It's a win / win because these players get paid more of what they deserve and this bonus is not applied to the salary cap so it doesn't hurt the team. I think the bonuses kick in year 3 of the contract, so guys like Dak Prescott and Anthony Brown for Dallas will be just fine, even before they sign their first "real" contract.
Southlake
Why can't folks remember that the last 3 times Romo got hit he was injured?

BMX Bandit
jr15aggie said:

ce1994 said:

I heard something the other day that I wasn't aware of. There is a clause in the rookie contracts for guys drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Those 4 year contracts are dirt cheap, but if those players turn into starters and play X percentage of team snaps they get big bonuses.

It's a win / win because these players get paid more of what they deserve and this bonus is not applied to the salary cap so it doesn't hurt the team. I think the bonuses kick in year 3 of the contract, so guys like Dak Prescott and Anthony Brown for Dallas will be just fine, even before they sign their first "real" contract.

Where did you see that? I've never heard of that kind of general bonus for rookies.
bonfarr
AG
jr15aggie said:

ce1994 said:

I doubt this is true the way you described it, any compensation has to be applied to the cap.
M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

If the Cowboys truly think Romo is healthy and can play for 2-3 more years, would you consider trading Dak to Cleveland for the #1 and #12 overall picks in this year's draft?

Then you roll out a team with Romo, MylesGarrett and whatever other stud you pick at #12 to compete for a Super Bowl this season? It's an ultimate WIN NOW, short sighted for sure, move...but if it gets you an SB...would you do it?
I don't believe anyone is untradeable unless they're established Brady/Rogers level of good. If it guarantees a super bowl, hell yea, close the deal.

But if I'm trading what I believe to be the QB of my franchise for 10+ years, I want a helluva lot more than 2 first round picks.
JDL 96
No way. QB is 10x more important than any other position and 10x harder to fill.
MaxPower
If I truly thought Romo was healthy? Yes because I don't think Dak is a truly elite starter in the future. #1 gets you the pass rusher you need and #12 should net another starter. Use your own first or second for a developmental QB.
TyHolden
AG
Garrett + myhomes = multiple SBs
jr15aggie
AG
MaxPower said:

If I truly thought Romo was healthy? Yes because I don't think Dak is a truly elite starter in the future. #1 gets you the pass rusher you need and #12 should net another starter. Use your own first or second for a developmental QB.

I don't think some of you actually watched him play! Granted, none of us know if this year was a fluke, but the guy made every throw this year. In the pocket, on the move, etc... The guy was brilliant throwing the ball.

The only reason to doubt him is because of preconceived opinions. You didn't think he could be a passing QB and so you think we should trade high

In reality there isn't a single GM (who isn't also the owner) that wouldn't get fired for trading a QB after the year Dak had. Teams search years (or in the case of the Texans their entire existence) for a QB like Dak was last year.
Bodhi
AG
No
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Dak for 2 first rounders? Lol. Even Cleveland isn't that stupid.

Trade him for Aaron Rodgers and the packs first pick. I'm sure GB will take that deal.
ac04
the holy grail of the NFL is a young QB1. the cowboys have one for extremely cheap. CLE would absolutely give two firsts for him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.