Job Network
Sponsored by

Austin Job Market

4,087 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by AJ02
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're in a situation where my wife needs to relocate to Austin if she wants to remain with her company. We have 4-6 months until we need to make a firm decision.

We're currently in Houston and she's in tech, so think it could prove challenging for her to find a comparable job here. It's not a tech specific role so could translate to other industries, but don't think the pay will be what she's used to.

That said, I don't think we'll relocate as all her family is here. But I'm curious what the job market is like in Austin if we do?

I've spent my entire career (14 years) in O&G and mainly in Supply Chain. The bulk of that has been doing Category Management but recently I've moved to a Supply Market Intelligence role. These are also roles that translate to all industries, but I know firsthand some of the hesitancy other industries have when hiring former O&G employees.....

Any insight from the board?
jh0400
AG
What does she do?
htxag09
AG
jh0400 said:

What does she do?

She's a product manager. Currently in the security space but did storage previously.
Charpie
AG
htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

She's a product manager. Currently in the security space but did storage previously.
There are a ton of product manager jobs out there in Austin.

There are also a lot of unemployed product managers in Austin. It's a tight community and once you mess up at one place, word gets out.

Have her look on LinkedIn. A ton of PM jobs that I get hit up for daily are out there in Austin.
htxag09
AG
Charpie said:

htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

There are also a lot of unemployed product managers in Austin. It's a tight community and once you mess up at one place, word gets out.

Have her look on LinkedIn. A ton of PM jobs that I get hit up for daily are out there in Austin.
To clarify, if we move to Austin it will be for her job. So I'd be looking for a Supply Chain job in Austin.

If we stay in Houston, she'll be looking for a Product Manager job here....
Charpie
AG
htxag09 said:

Charpie said:

htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

To clarify, if we move to Austin it will be for her job. So I'd be looking for a Supply Chain job in Austin.

If we stay in Houston, she'll be looking for a Product Manager job here....

Ah.

Well if you stay, drop me a line. My company is 100 percent remote and I can try and get her in here as a PM
htxag09
AG
Thanks!

PM sent.
AggieOO
guessing this is due to one of the wonderful "return to office" mandates?
htxag09
AG
AggieOO said:

Yes. She's been remote since 2017 or so. But caught in the making everyone return after COVID. First they were allowed to go to local offices. Now they have to go to "strategic sites".
AggieOO
Lol, fairly sure your wife and I work for the same company. My job is considered remote, so I'm unaffected, but plenty of people I know are dealing with it.

I 100% believe this move is to weed people out so they don't have to pay severance. Rumors are more layoffs in August. I have zero insight into your wife's org, but I would not make any physical move before beginning of August.
htxag09
AG
If we do move, it wouldn't be until late 24 at the earliest. She's on maternity leave until august, so wouldn't be officially notified until then. Then we'd drag our feet with things like getting in daycares, selling house, etc
AggieOO
nope, i guess i was wrong. I'm at Dell, but they used the exact same "local office" to "strategic office" verbiage.
TexasStone
AggieOO said:

nope, i guess i was wrong. I'm at Dell, but they used the exact same "local office" to "strategic office" verbiage.

August seems like it could be a rough month for a lot of folks
AggieOO
at Dell...yes. one of my co-workers is connected directly to a very high up. Everything we are hearing is that it is going to be rough. Luckily, my group should be unaffected, as we were hit very hard in the previous rounds. There's no more fat to trim under the current alignments, and alignments are not supposed to change until feb.
htxag09
AG
So appears that if we do choose to move to Austin for my wife's job, the job market for myself may be a little tough....

Which I expected.
Petrino1
htxag09 said:

So appears that if we do choose to move to Austin for my wife's job, the job market for myself may be a little tough....

Which I expected.
Just take a look for yourself. I did a search for "Category Manager" on Indeed in Austin, and it returned 23 job postings. Thats not a lot, and most of them were posted 30+ days ago.

It will obviously be much harder to transition from one industry to another, even if your skills are transferrable. Most companies want someone who has experience in their industry.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=category+manager&l=Austin&start=10&vjk=854d95ada9b304d7
htxag09
AG
Thanks, I did check those sites as well. Just looking to see if anyone had a more representative, boots on the ground, type perspective.

As someone who had a job search about 4 years ago, it was eye opening how many listings weren't valid, already filled, or seemingly just for data collection of applicants.
jaggiemaggie
AG
If you stay in Houston, have your wife connect with Wade Pinder on LinkedIn. He seems to be really connected with the PM community and tech space here in Houston. He shares job postings frequently.
infinity ag
htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

I'm in product management too. I wish I was in Austin or the Bay Area. I say move if you have job opportunities in Austin.
infinity ag
AggieOO said:

Walmart tech did it. RTO made it mandatory to join an office else leave.
htxag09
AG
infinity ag said:

htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

I'm in product management too. I wish I was in Austin or the Bay Area. I say move if you have job opportunities in Austin.
Kind of why I started this thread....wanted an idea of job opportunities in Austin by anyone who may have first hand experience....

Doesn't seem great....
500,000ags
AG
Don't mean to hi-jack, but anyone in the RevOps or SalesOps space in Austin? Curious what the environment is like right now.
infinity ag
htxag09 said:

infinity ag said:

htxag09 said:

jh0400 said:

What does she do?

Kind of why I started this thread....wanted an idea of job opportunities in Austin by anyone who may have first hand experience....

Doesn't seem great....

Right now, almost every place is bad. But think long term. If Prod Mgmt, the places to be in are SF Bay, Seattle, Austin. And a few other spots that I am too lazy to look up.

By year end/next year all these locations will heat up the hiring as they have money lying around. You want to be there to exploit it.

I am NOT in one of those places, but wish I was. I just joined a local company with a very small raise from my last job but work may not be too exciting. But it is fine for now. Meta called me from SF last week I cannot move now as my daughter is starting her Jr year in HS and I can't leave her and move. But late next year, I GTFO the Midwest after her applications are sent.

I suggest you consider one of those cities.
AJ02
AG
I mean, there are supply chain options in Austin. But with everyone wanting to move to Austin that's a lot of competition. I'm in supply chain. Off the top of my head....Whole Foods, Epicor, Dell, NXP Semiconductors, Avnet, Texas Instruments.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.