Job Network
Sponsored by

Transgender Aggie daughter looking for SW developer job

13,570 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesPShelley
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Astroag said:

AggieDadFM19 said:

I'll apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this message. Some things aren't easy for me to explain briefly, and this is one of those subjects. I've been a TexAg subscriber going on 8 years now, and I've been mulling over posting this for a few weeks. I spend most of my time on the Premium Football forum and it can be absolutely brutal (hence my hesitation to post something this sensitive), but I love my kid and I would do anything to help her. I'll try to keep the history brief, but I think it will help people to better understand the situation.

In 2015 our biological son applied to Texas A&M, and was accepted into the honors engineering program. Through his college years we were just like most Aggie families (season football tickets, tailgate multiple times a year, entire closet filled with maroon clothing, deer hunting on A&M bye weekends).

In 2019 he proudly graduated with his degree in Computer Science, and took a job straight out of college working for a large managed service provider.

About 8 months post-college he came out to the family as transgender. I'll be honest, this was something that was quite difficult for me to wrap my head around, but in the end, we love our child, and that trumps everything. The family has done way better than we expected, and everyone has been accepting and supportive, including 79 yr old grandpa (TAMU class of '68).

As for the work situation, that has not been as easy. Within a few months of coming out it became apparent the company was going to run her off. Luckily, she was able to find another job as a Jr. Software Developer (Python, C++) at a cybersecurity company developing product integrations, and has been there for the past year. Over the holidays the VP of Engineering notified the team that their functions would be moving to India and everyone would be let go in the coming year.

She is now actively searching for a job in the DFW area, but it's not as easy as you would think to land a job when you are transgender and early in your career.

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but if there are any Ags out there who know of entry-level software developer positions in the DFW area we would eternally grateful! She's willing to start at the bottom and prove herself.

If you hear of anything, please DM me and I can broker the connection.

Have her check Crowdstrike (if she wants to stay in cybersecurity) and let me know. I can refer internally.
OP, definitely have her take a look there. As a Security Engineer, I deal with Crowdstrike quite a bit and they seem to be an exceptional company.

Hell, if you don't I might.
Astroag
AG
Average Joe said:

Astroag said:

AggieDadFM19 said:

I'll apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this message. Some things aren't easy for me to explain briefly, and this is one of those subjects. I've been a TexAg subscriber going on 8 years now, and I've been mulling over posting this for a few weeks. I spend most of my time on the Premium Football forum and it can be absolutely brutal (hence my hesitation to post something this sensitive), but I love my kid and I would do anything to help her. I'll try to keep the history brief, but I think it will help people to better understand the situation.

In 2015 our biological son applied to Texas A&M, and was accepted into the honors engineering program. Through his college years we were just like most Aggie families (season football tickets, tailgate multiple times a year, entire closet filled with maroon clothing, deer hunting on A&M bye weekends).

In 2019 he proudly graduated with his degree in Computer Science, and took a job straight out of college working for a large managed service provider.

About 8 months post-college he came out to the family as transgender. I'll be honest, this was something that was quite difficult for me to wrap my head around, but in the end, we love our child, and that trumps everything. The family has done way better than we expected, and everyone has been accepting and supportive, including 79 yr old grandpa (TAMU class of '68).

As for the work situation, that has not been as easy. Within a few months of coming out it became apparent the company was going to run her off. Luckily, she was able to find another job as a Jr. Software Developer (Python, C++) at a cybersecurity company developing product integrations, and has been there for the past year. Over the holidays the VP of Engineering notified the team that their functions would be moving to India and everyone would be let go in the coming year.

She is now actively searching for a job in the DFW area, but it's not as easy as you would think to land a job when you are transgender and early in your career.

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but if there are any Ags out there who know of entry-level software developer positions in the DFW area we would eternally grateful! She's willing to start at the bottom and prove herself.

If you hear of anything, please DM me and I can broker the connection.

Have her check Crowdstrike (if she wants to stay in cybersecurity) and let me know. I can refer internally.
OP, definitely have her take a look there. As a Security Engineer, I deal with Crowdstrike quite a bit and they seem to be an exceptional company.

Hell, if you don't I might.
happy to help
AggieDadFM19
Yes, she has been pretty active looking in the cybersecurity space. I did mention Crowdstrike to her. She said she didn't see any remote or DFW based developer jobs.
cruiserag2020
My company has some open engineering positions if she wants to take a look and she what she is qualified for. We are also 100% remote.

https://www.teamworks.com/company

If she has any questions or would like a reference if she applies have her email me at cruiserhead2020 at gmail
Aggie1806
AG
Just here to commend you for being a great and supportive father - as a father of 3 myself.
AggieDadFM19
Sending over to her tonight, and will see her tomorrow. Thank you!
AggieDadFM19
Aggie1806 said:

Just here to commend you for being a great and supportive father - as a father of 3 myself.
Funny you mention that. I am a father of three as well. I think any parent would do this. It's as simple as loving your child unconditionally. Everything else is subordinate to that. What amazes me about this is everyone assumes Aggies are conservative, and therefore prone to a particular view on this subject. Outside of a few snarky comments (a TexAgs hallmark) the posters have been happy to help.
AgLA06
AG
Most of us are conservative. I'd like to think our values include enough compassion and respect for our own that it wouldn't go that way.

My view is that I can disagree with something, but it isn't my place to judge nor okay to be an ass with my opinion. I'm far from being a Holy man that's for sure. So I'm not surprised many in position to offer advice or help are trying to do so.
Astroag
AG
AggieDadFM19 said:

Yes, she has been pretty active looking in the cybersecurity space. I did mention Crowdstrike to her. She said she didn't see any remote or DFW based developer jobs.

The whole company is remote
AggieDadFM19
I just checked my messages again. It was Sailpoint that didn't have a remote job. Sorry for the mixup. I'll make sure she is aware and search for something. Thank you!
CapCity12thMan
AG
If she is looking for something in the tech field that is focused on DEI, have a look and let me know if I can help

https://www.missioncloud.com/company/people-culture
rtpAggie
the negative stigma with the Trans stuff is due to it being super common in very young kids now.

I am conservative, and my wife is a jr high teacher. I hear about the worst of it.

Your child did this as an adult and its clearly authentic. There is a huge difference there.

God bless your family and I hope the best for everyone involved.
rtpAggie
Lake08 said:

I might have missed it, but why are you doing all this vs your child doing it?
what kind of question is this?

He is helping is kid out. posting in a manner that relates to the board that he has been on for a decade.

he did a great job.

Discovery77
AG
I work at 3M, happy to help if she sees anything. Shoot me a DM as well. I work remote in the healthcare side here in San Antonio.
TresPuertas
AG
rtpAggie said:

Lake08 said:

He is helping is kid out. posting in a manner that relates to the board that he has been on for a decade.

he did a great job.

i'm sorry, as a general rule I'm fine with all that's going on here on this thread but this question is ridiculous.

it could be a pretty big red flag for a potential employee if they are having their Dad do everything for them. It's relevant when talking about work ethic and maturity. Surely you see this right?

Anyway, good luck with your kid getting a job. I'm sure they'll be fine
AgLA06
AG
TresPuertas said:

rtpAggie said:

Lake08 said:

he did a great job.

i'm sorry, as a general rule I'm fine with all that's going on here on this thread but this question is ridiculous.

it could be a pretty big red flag for a potential employee if they are having their Dad do everything for them. It's relevant when talking about work ethic and maturity. Surely you see this right?

"Why don't you have a job. You should have used your network better."

"Just don't use the closest, most reliable part of your network"?!?
AggieDadFM19
I apologize for not being responsive. I travel with my job, and I've been on the road a lot the past few weeks. I see a few questions regarding why I would do this, and am I doing something my kid should be doing. In short, she has been hunting and interviewing on her own, so my message was just a "dad move" to see if I could help out. She didn't post the original message because she's not on TexAgs - so I thought I would just post a message to see if there were any opportunities out there. Hope that helps clear things up.
AggieDadFM19
She did find one. How can I connect her with you?
AggieDadFM19
I agree! I am about as conservative as you can get, but in the end you love your kids unconditionally.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Email me at my texags username at hotmail dot com, include resume and any other info you'd like. Also tell me what role?
AggieDadFM19
Thank you, I'll have her reach out with everything.
Rudyjax
AG
And I told dad to send me her resume, and daughter did with a very professional email.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I'm not into any formalities, I'm here to help with being a good fit for the role, and I am not in recruiting...just here to help. I'll look at the resume and other info and if I think there is something to pursue I am happy to push it.
AggieOO
TresPuertas said:

rtpAggie said:

Lake08 said:

he did a great job.

Dumb post is dumb. Who said he is doing everything for her? He's helping. I've seen people post on this board for spouses, friends, etc. Do you say the same to all those people?

I have two kids and I'd damn sure try to help them find a job.
Mookie
AG
Sailpoint is a great company, I'm close friends with a couple of their most senior folks on the engineering side and they love what they do and where they work.
TresPuertas
AG
AggieOO said:

TresPuertas said:

rtpAggie said:

Lake08 said:

he did a great job.

Dumb post is dumb. Who said he is doing everything for her? He's helping. I've seen people post on this board for spouses, friends, etc. Do you say the same to all those people?

that's not the point. like i said, i agree with him helping his child find a job. any good parent would be happy to do that.

my point is that merely asking why the dad is doing isn't out of bounds. with the current climate of millennials and their inability to do a lot for themselves the question is well within the rights of anyone willing to stick their necks out to hire someone.

it doesn't seem to be the case here but if someone has their mommy and daddy trying to get them a job i'd like to know why. that's it. i'd like to know that a potential employee is capable of independence and able to do things for themselves if i'm hiring them. the answer the OP gave is just fine and acceptable but as someone who would potentially hire someone I have every right to ask

that's it
CapCity12thMan
AG
when we are talking about young people trying to start their careers and find their way, doesn't the end justify the means? What were we always told: network. This is no different. So what if their father has a network to tap into. He's not coming to the interview and the first day on the job - he's connecting. What happens happens.

I mean, if I receive an email here shortly, and there is a resume attached and the email says - "hey, my dad said to send this to you", then yeah - red flag.
cityagboy
AG
Good dad! Good kid using her network! Wish I was in the field to help!

Good luck!
cityagboy
AG
TresPuertas said:

AggieOO said:

TresPuertas said:

rtpAggie said:

Lake08 said:

he did a great job.

that's not the point. like i said, i agree with him helping his child find a job. any good parent would be happy to do that.

my point is that merely asking why the dad is doing isn't out of bounds. with the current climate of millennials and their inability to do a lot for themselves the question is well within the rights of anyone willing to stick their necks out to hire someone.

it doesn't seem to be the case here but if someone has their mommy and daddy trying to get them a job i'd like to know why. that's it. i'd like to know that a potential employee is capable of independence and able to do things for themselves if i'm hiring them. the answer the OP gave is just fine and acceptable but as someone who would potentially hire someone I have every right to ask

that's it

Are you going to ask the dad on this thread too (linked below) or just the dad/ daughter here? What a crazy take. She isn't even a millennial….. this younger generation is amazing and will change the world for the better

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/3356420
NASAg03
Does your child have a preference for in-office vs. remote? There are many great remote opportunities out there, even for a hardware-focused engineer like me. It should be much easier from a software standpoint.

LinkedIn has great tools to search for remote jobs, from the drop-down options to areas that you search in. They will post a lot of jobs in tech-heavy locations, but the job is actually remote.

Consider searching in the Bay Area CA, Boulder CO, Austin TX, and other areas like that. Many jobs will indicate in the header that they are remote.

If your child wants to have more human-to-human interaction, join a coworking space or find a coworking group through online channels (reddit, bumble business, networking meetups). That would provide a more inclusive and comfortable venue while still providing a good revenue stream and work experience.

And I agree that lifestyle choices, gender expression, and sexual orientation shouldn't affect job status and hiring. The challenge is that most people do look to their coworkers for affirmation of their life choices, as we all define ourselves in the office by things that occur outside the office. That's human. And it's hard finding a company that is truly inclusive.

For a while I worked at Intuitive Machines in Houston, and they were that type of company. They had many types of people all over the political spectrum, and there was a dude that was very odd. Insanely smart with a PhD in biochemistry computer modelling or something, and he could do anything with a computer, including space GN&C and simulations. He also was a circus performer, would sleep in public on a couch next to the CEO's office. Yet he had a job there for 3+ years. Until he transitioned to they/them Juno and their outside life started disrupting the office / team setting. They are now in San Francisco and seem very happy there.

Best of luck!
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Bunk Moreland
Good job dad. Don't have help on a job, but have a little story that has stuck with me...

About 14 years ago my dad (extremely conservative, but also not judgmental in a professional situation) had moved to a different city to continue working in the same industry he previously had in Austin. A few years into the job they needed some consultant work so he reached out to old connections to hire a consultant he had used in the past from Austin who was great at his job.

Word starts coming in from old friends/companions that the consultant was now a she. A few people in his newer more conservative area asked if he wanted to still bring her in. My dad said "yes, because she's a great consultant and that's what we need for this situation."

Consultant knows she's now going to come in and contract with someone she had worked with in the past, probably knew that would bring some nerves especially because it's no secret my dad is a conservative person. Shows up, walks into my dad's office and says "I bet you're surprised to see me looking like this"

My dad said "yeah i've gained a little weight too."

Ice broken. Went on to do what they needed her to do and that was that.

I wish professionals would not let personal opinions get in the way of professional situations. You're either capable or you're not. We're here to work.

Best of luck to her
turkishAg
AG
I think the best thing to do is to open up the potential locations to more tech hubs. Austin, Raleigh, Denver, SF, and Seattle would be good starts. If she's having a hard time getting a job this would be the first thing that I do.

The other thing I would recommend is to pay for LinkedIn Premium and also sign up for a service like Teal (link). They provide multiple things that I think will help here. One will be more hands on coaching like how to optimize your resume, how to find jobs you really want, and how to interview well. The other thing is that she'll also be in these classes with other people like her trying to find a new job which is always energizing.

Lastly, tech is going through huge layoffs this year. You probably saw Google lay off 12K folks this morning - my company laid of 11% of employees in September. What this means is that there's more competition but there's still a LOT of companies (small, medium, and large) that are hiring but you have to play the game like they play the game. That's where Teal could help.

Good luck
chico
AG
I have no job offers but just here to give you and your daughter a thumbs up. I'm a dad with a child similar to yours and it gives me great comfort seeing the support your family has for her.
htxag09
AG
To be fair, seems pretty normal for posters to call out parents asking for leads for their kids on this board. Not saying I agree with it, but it isn't isolated to this thread.
marcosowns
AG
I'm the hiring manager for our open position of a mid-level Software Engineer linked below. I know the position shows 5 years experience, but I'm considering 2+ years. Tell her to apply and we'll see if she is a good fit!

https://spycloud.com/company/careers/?gh_jid=5482829003
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.