Job Network
Sponsored by

Transgender Aggie daughter looking for SW developer job

13,540 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesPShelley
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
htxag09 said:

To be fair, seems pretty normal for posters to call out parents asking for leads for their kids on this board. Not saying I agree with it, but it isn't isolated to this thread.

Would I have to hire the dad, too??
AggieDadFM19
Thank you, and will absolutely pass along asap. How should I have her connect with you?
AggieDadFM19
Lake08 said:

htxag09 said:

To be fair, seems pretty normal for posters to call out parents asking for leads for their kids on this board. Not saying I agree with it, but it isn't isolated to this thread.

Would I have to hire the dad, too??
Probably a bad idea. My coding skills are pretty weak.
TMF
AG
You refer to your child as he and then she. Does transgender mean it changed or can be either? I am also curious why it matters for employment. If someone did a good job and wasn't forcing politics or beliefs then I wouldn't care if he/she/or both. But if they didn't dress appropriately according to either men/woman (their choice) then I could see a problem. I'm just not sure I understand where the trans problem is. Just like black or white or brown. I don't care about any of that. Just have to act, dress, etc per the guidelines. I've seen crazy black, white, male, female. So can't say one group is a problem.
rtpAggie
I'm sure they dont look fully like a woman. If its obvious shes a biological male then yeah that can be distracting.

Is it right? not the point of my post

but if asked anonymously I am guessing a large majority of folks would find a bilogical male who is now a woman, working with them closely, to be distracting.
Rudyjax
AG
TMF said:

You refer to your child as he and then she. Does transgender mean it changed or can be either? I am also curious why it matters for employment. If someone did a good job and wasn't forcing politics or beliefs then I wouldn't care if he/she/or both. But if they didn't dress appropriately according to either men/woman (their choice) then I could see a problem. I'm just not sure I understand where the trans problem is. Just like black or white or brown. I don't care about any of that. Just have to act, dress, etc per the guidelines. I've seen crazy black, white, male, female. So can't say one group is a problem.
Dad forgets to change the pronouns. It's new for him.
jograki
AG
OP, sending you a PM. I work for the technology side of Wells Fargo and we are always hiring.
rtpAggie
update?
AggieDadFM19
AggieDadFM19
Search continues. She has reached out to those who replied, and jograki above. Other than a few posters everyone has been very helpful. Thanks for asking.
rtpAggie
hope it works out man! tell them to keep their head down and keep fighting for themself
ChucoAg
AG
OP, you're a good father. Need more Dads like you in the world
AggieDadFM19
Thanks, I appreciate the comment.
fire09
AG
OP you are a caring father, and that is certainly one of the most important takeaways from your message.

Many people associate TG with psychological instability, a significant obstacle to overcome in a crowded field of candidates. With that said, I would impart the following advice from having interviewed a couple of TG at my previous role. I work in a more 'conservative' industry than IT, so it may not all apply for you.

a)scrub all social media of activism/boisterous behavior. It will be checked.

b)dress conservatively in interviews consistently and appropriately to how you identify. Don't draw attention with loud clothing or accessories.

c)HR almost certainly wont ask this, but if a hiring manager or potential peer ask about TG, prepare a clear, concise explanation of how to be identified.

d)the interview is not a time to go on a crusade against those who are uncomfortable or fascinated with TG. If someone tries to engage, shift focus back to the job immediately.

Obviously I don't know your situation in detail, but hopefully these ideas help your kid prepare for their next interview. Best of luck to you and your family.
Lake08
fire09 said:

OP you are a caring father, and that is certainly one of the most important takeaways from your message.

Many people associate TG with psychological instability, a significant obstacle to overcome in a crowded field of candidates. With that said, I would impart the following advice from having interviewed a couple of TG at my previous role. I work in a more 'conservative' industry than IT, so it may not all apply for you.

b)dress conservatively in interviews consistently and appropriately to how you identify. Don't draw attention with loud clothing or accessories.

c)HR almost certainly wont ask this, but if a hiring manager or potential peer ask about TG, prepare a clear, concise explanation of how to be identified.

d)the interview is not a time to go on a crusade against those who are uncomfortable or fascinated with TG. If someone tries to engage, shift focus back to the job immediately.

Obviously I don't know your situation in detail, but hopefully these ideas help your kid prepare for their next interview. Best of luck to you and your family.

You've interviewed a couple in your field? Dang
fire09
AG
Two in 7 years, Denver area recruiting pool.
JamesPShelley
fire09 said:

That "psychological instability" is an association that is going to be challenging... especially if the candidate is being interviewed by someone who is not aware of the challenges or hasn't interviewed a trans candidate. Sounds like a training opportunity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.