Job Network
Sponsored by

9-80 Work Schedules - Thoughts?

11,039 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CypressAg09
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Roger350 said:

I also have every generation working for me, and recognize the danger of stereotypes. I have hard workers and below average people in all of them. I don't have any boomers that are the smoking, e-mailing, time wasters you speak of, but to be fair the last one of those I did have took a voluntary retirement package a couple years ago.

I'm going to say my Millenials probably fit the same bell curve every generation fits for performance and dedication. It's easy to let the top 15% and bottom 15% color your opinions. And I'll admit my venting is focused on the bottom 15%.

Again, this person didn't leave for better work life balance. He left for more money. And I've said repeatedly he deserved more but that I couldn't come close to matching it if I wanted to. He poked at the work / life balance on his way out, knowing full well his work / life balance isn't going to improve at his next job because of the education requirements, and the nature of the business. That rubbed me the wrong way because he knew about this aspect of the position before he took it. Had I lied about this when I hired him, or refused to consider and implement changes to improve things then it would be 100% on me. That's not the case here.

You have to listen to your guy... and also understand that work/life balance doesn't just = less hours. It's also flexibility and, most importantly, working when you want to work. I've had heavy daily operation jobs with tight deadlines, times in the month I just can't take off and such. I left overseeing a desk like that recently for a job where I work MORE hours and the work life balance is substantially better in my opinion. If my kids have something during the day, I no longer have to just skip it to get X done in time and stuff like that. I can now put down what I'm doing, enjoy stuff with my family and jump back into work later to finish stuff.

Not meaning to be rude, you seem to be under the illusion that your work hours should be more desirable because you let people know what the deal is beforehand. Noble of you to do so, but if people say they suck... then they suck. Don't take it so personally.
Roger350
AG
I never said this guy was bottom 15%. I said he was a good engineer and a good guy. He's not top 15% either. I do wish he stayed, but I get why he left.
Roger350
AG
I've always said the hours suck, and I never said that telling people they suck excused it. You're right flexibility is the key. And we have some flexibility. And some of how we handle the hours has changed in direct response to good input from this generation of new people. None of the complaints have ever been from people missing their kids or family's functions. I'm extremely sensitive to that because I missed a lot of my daughter's early years working and I respect other's choices to do that differently.
Roger350
AG
Yeah, I am taking the parting comment about hours too personally. The hours suck. Just because he knew they sucked before he took the job doesn't change that.

I see the confusion on the 15% comments. I meant it was easy to focus on the sins of the bottom 15% when discussing the stereotypes.
BigPuma
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

they do taxes at work
I hope my old guys and millennials are doing taxes. If they aren't it means they are ****ing around on the intrawebz again I mean that is what we get paid to do
one MEEN Ag
AG
So Roger, I take it you're not going to petition your boss about changing the compensation package or scheduling requirements and just going to keep restarting your group every three years?

You seem the type that takes pride in grinding out the hard hours while being paid under market value. The bean counters in your company appreciate that. Now take your good service plaque signed by a CEO who doesn't care and get back to work.

In all honesty, if you can't beat em, join em. Put your resume out there and see if there is a position that has less work and more pay. Your retirement account doesn't have an asterisk next to it about earning it the hard way.

Quinn
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

9/80s are great, we're a small team and the whole team is out on the same Friday.

This is the direction that most companies are going. Increased flexibility/flex hours/work-life balance.

Companies like mine give the dream triple of 9/80, flex hours (not a rigid 7:30-5:30) and work from home time
Mine does that too and it's pretty great. It would be quite an adjustment to go back to a "normal" work schedule.

Eliminatus
AG
Quinn said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

9/80s are great, we're a small team and the whole team is out on the same Friday.

This is the direction that most companies are going. Increased flexibility/flex hours/work-life balance.

Companies like mine give the dream triple of 9/80, flex hours (not a rigid 7:30-5:30) and work from home time
Mine does that too and it's pretty great. It would be quite an adjustment to go back to a "normal" work schedule.

My last industry was awesome. We busted our asses but it all worked out in the end schedule wise. We worked 4/10s with the day starting at 5am and though they never paid OT that also meant that once that clock hit 3PM we were DONE. And not just wrapping up but actual leaving the parking lot to go home. I miss that.

I also loved the early start days. No traffic going or leaving (amazing to experience in large cities) and once I got home still had a lot of time to get stuff done.

The good days.
Justin2010
AG
Do I feel entitled to flexible hours and a company bent toward work life balance? I don't.

But the labor market right now says that I can make that a priority when I'm considering my employment options. I do.

Millennial here
Ulrich
4/10 > 9/80 > 5/8 > half day Fridays
schmellba99
AG
4/10's and 9/80's are awesome, especially if you have more hourly or craft guys in your employment.

I have lobbied in my industry for 10+ years to look at 4/10's (came from that in petrochem), mostly to no avail - because my current industry has always done 5/8's.

Having a business day off is a great perk that you can offer that doesn't really change production, at least in the construction industry. With 4/10's you are "giving" employees a raise without actually having any money out of pocket via reduced travel expenses to and from work. You will also find that far less sick days are taken because of that business day off - your employees can go to the bank, doctor, parole officer, etc. without interrupting production or crew continuity. And if it rains, you make up that day on the Friday and still afford a full weekend. I also think through my personal anecdotal experience that energy and morale stays at a much higher level across the board when people have free time to enjoy their life versus the traditional 5 days a week routine.

9/80's are something I've not personally done, but my dad worked them for probably the last 10 years of his career and loved them. The Friday he worked and the other half of the department didn't ended up generally being one of the most productive days for him. With the reduced work force, he found that daily distractions were almost none and it allowed him to get more of his tedious work done in that single day than he was able to get done the rest of the week. And having a long weekend every other weekend was great for personal time.

Doesn't work for everybody or every industry, but honestly with the constant move towards being able to remotely work, some of the old hard mentality of being in the office should be looked at as antiquated IMO. I have the flexibility to work from home with my current job when necessary, which is nice. I'm generally not as productive so I limit my working from home because I know who I am, but the option to do so is a great perk to have. I also don't have hard office hours, which helps with my role and my ability to work when I need to or have to and have the ability to do other things during the day as well.
Furlock Bones
AG
9/80s are the single biggest non-financial benefit a company can offer. i truly miss those from my prior company.
chris1515
AG
I work a 9/80...then I come in on the 10th day and work some more!
K_P
AG
TexDill15 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Anybody working the 9/80 have anything bad to say about it, or is it universally accepted as a good perk?
I work 9/80 and the only bad thing I will say is if you live an hour commuting time away from work it makes for some long days being gone 11+ hours. Especially in the winter when you won't see the sun if your office has no windows like mine.
Yeah, this. My kid is very young, and I hardly see him because I work 9hrs+1hr lunch+1.5hrs commute =11.5 hrs away from home even if I dont work late. Add in an extra hour here and there (because that's the culture), and I'm gone from my house from 6:30am to 7:00pm.

I never felt like there was any negative before having a kid.
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

parole officer
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
diehard03
Quote:

Man...reading through this thread makes me really appreciate the job I have.

Preach.
DallasAggie0
Almost everyone "is fine" with a drawback when applying for a job.... because they are trying to GET THE JOB.
schmellba99
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

parole officer

I've had some interesting cats working for me over the years.
CypressAg09
AG
The company I currently work for does 9/80s where the entire company is closed every other Friday. It's really the best.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.