Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone ever "Super Commuted" for a job?

6,065 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by IDaggie06
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like that this is where or corporate world of greed and power have brought us.
Your family is dispensable, you work for us now.

No offense to OP.
AggieGunslinger
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Since you're not thinking clearly, let's think through what your life is going to be like:

It's a 3+ hour flight from IAH or DFW to IAD. You'll need to leave home at least 2 hours before your flight, and you're going to lose an hour. So let's say your flight is at 7 pm central time, you're going to need to leave the house by 5 pm and you'll need to start getting ready to leave by 4. That means that whatever your family is doing has to have you at home by 4 to pack, etc. let's say the flight takes off on time, you're going to land at 11:30 pm or so. Then you've got to make your way to your car or take uber/cab. By the time you make it off the plane and get where you're going to go, it's 12:30 AM minimum. Does work start at 8? Haha.

Fast forward to Friday, you've got a big meeting and you book the 8pm flight, you're going to land around 10:30, you're in the door around 11:30 if you're lucky. Do you know how much it sucks to fly anywhere on a Friday evening or get to the airport? The traffic sucks and delays have compounded by the end of the day. De icing is a thing part of the year. Boy does that suck!

It's Saturday morning, you haven't been there all week so wake the f up and take care of the kids. Your list of honey dos is long, so you had better get on it. You've got your kids soccer game or whatever, you all go out to eat, and the day flows by. It's Saturday evening, and you've got a tough choice, do you do something as a family and put your son to bed since you're never there or do you hire a sitter for 1:1 time with your wife and not hang out with your son? By the way, you've got some laundry to do! Let's say you have a low key Saturday night at home with the family. The nights over and you know you're going to have a long day tomorrow, so you want to go to bed early. Your wife refuses to sleep with you because she hasn't seen you all week, you get pissed off, and you fall asleep in your anger. You are the primary bread winner, after all, she should cut you some slack, right? She only had to run the house like a single mom entirely by herself for the week.

Sunday rolls around and you're up early as well, trying to have some "quality time"'with the kids. You hustle breakfast together, go run some errands, and if you're a church goer, you go do that. It's mid afternoon, and you've got to be home in three hours to pack. You can't go see a movie, it would be unfair to your family to see your buddies, so your friendships slip, and your wife gets mad at you again because you can't take your kid to a class mates birthday party so she can have some time to herself.

Imagine a scenario like this 48-50 weeks a year. Sounds like hell to me. If you were smart, you'd fly Monday morning and back Thursday. It's a lot more sustainable. So what if you get to work at noon on Monday and work from home on Friday. If the company you're working for doesn't value your sanity and ability to have a complete life, you are making a grave mistake.

Again, good luck to you.

I am doing this right now, but I only come home every other weekend from Thursday to Sunday. Don't be suckered into thinking it is just a 3 hour flight. 30kMM speaks the truth. My travel days suck. I have multiple legs to get home which makes mine worse but at least 1 flight is usually delayed.

It's only worth is because the project is short term and the money is really good.
aTm2004
AG
OP's reply on the same thread on the GB:

Quote:

UPDATE: Got to the Mississippi border last night, stopping for gas and some food. Had knots in my stomach the entire drive up that point, thinking about the time I was going to miss with my family. Drove out of there headed back west toward home, and knew I was doing the right thing. Got in at 3 am. Now dreading having to make the phone call to my future would be boss to back out, considering I'm supposed to start Wednesday. What a mess.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
O.G.
Lived in that area for seven years. One of the best things that ever happened to me. There are a ton of Texans in that area and the experience is worth the move, for me at least. Moving with a 19month old is a heck of a lot easier than moving when they get older and are in HS or whatever.
98Ag99Grad
AG
aTm2004 said:

OP's reply on the same thread on the GB:

Quote:

UPDATE: Got to the Mississippi border last night, stopping for gas and some food. Had knots in my stomach the entire drive up that point, thinking about the time I was going to miss with my family. Drove out of there headed back west toward home, and knew I was doing the right thing. Got in at 3 am. Now dreading having to make the phone call to my future would be boss to back out, considering I'm supposed to start Wednesday. What a mess.

Didn't know he had multiple threads going. The GB is ripping on him now thinking it was all a troll.
diehard03
Quote:

Didn't know he had multiple threads going. The GB is ripping on him now thinking it was all a troll.
it doesn't really matter if it's true or not. Everyone knows that the concept is real and the concept is really what's on trial.
rather be fishing
AG
I did 2 months of flying into ATL on Monday and back to AUS on Friday. it was miserable.

It's impossible to keep a life, let alone a house and family, running when you have 48 hours to do laundry and get back on a plane.

It is good for hotel points and airline miles, though.
Flexbone
Wasn't a troll. Took it. Did it a week. Saw the writing on the wall at home that first weekend. Quit.
aTm2004
AG
So, you didn't turn around in Mississippi after seeing the light and drive home to your wife's arms?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
Flexbone
aTm2004 said:

So, you didn't turn around in Mississippi after seeing the light and drive home to your wife's arms?

Yes. Then, the next day I talked myself into flying up there so that I could give it a chance. On Sunday when I was scheduled to fly back there, I called and told them I wouldn't be returning. I could see that everyone's warnings were exactly right and I didn't want to go down that path.
LostInLA07
AG
Glad you saw the light early
Chipotlemonger
AG
Extremely believable
Flexbone
Chipotlemonger said:

Extremely believable

I couldn't care less if you believe me. Craziest week of my life.
cjo03
AG
so left cold turkey with nothing lined up or did previous company take you back?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Go update the General board thread then
TX scallywAG
AG
I know someone who did this as a project manager. He was thinking of marrying wife #3 and no joke... just took up deep cave diving. Guess he wanted to be alone more...

Knew one other guy who took a job where they flew him from Nashville to Laredo. He thought keeping his family in TN was the best decision. Last I heard he was skipping trips home & his marriage was on the rocks.

My dad traveled probably 3 months of the year when I was growing up. It was usually in about 2 week trips but broken up. He still mentions track meets, etc of mine he missed. I don't remember that to be honest, but it stuck with him and made an impact even with it being ~1/4 of the year.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Flexbone
Chipotlemonger said:

Go update the General board thread then

I'm sure you will.
aTm2004
AG
I'll do it if you're not strong enough to.
ArticPenguin:

Flexbone
cjo03 said:

so left cold turkey with nothing lined up or did previous company take you back?

Had my own law practice.
Flexbone
aTm2004 said:

I'll do it if you're not strong enough to.

You think there's anything strange about you doing that?
aTm2004
AG
Considering how combative you were with several posters on there, no.
ArticPenguin:

Flexbone
And by combative you mean taking issue with those that hurled personal insults just because I didn't take their advice? You think I should have just treated that thread as my decision point, I.e. treated it as a poll? Go back and read the thread. And even still, why would anything I said on there make it normal for you to go update them on what happened? I guess "Normal" means something different when you're hiding behind an anonymous username on the internet.
htxag09
AG
WTH is going on in here?
IrishTxAggie
AG
The GB found the Job Network board...
aTm2004
AG
No, you excluded details, people made assumptions off of the info they had, then you told them they were wrong when you then provided details. That's when you began getting called out.
ArticPenguin:

Post removed:
by user
Flexbone
aTm2004 said:

No, you excluded details, people made assumptions off of the info they had, then you told them they were wrong when you then provided details. That's when you began getting called out.
What details did I exclude? I didn't purposefully exclude anything. As in natural conversation, more details come out as more questions are asked. I told them they were wrong because they made baseless assumptions about personal details. Are you denying that many of them - who ironically had done it themselves - got personal and attacked myself and my family as soon as I said that I was going go ahead and do it anyway? Seriously?
Flexbone
SoupNazi2001 said:

Just admit most posters were right and you were completely wrong. We told you how it would go and you were extremely dismissive.
No, I wasn't dismissive. I simply said I appreciated the advice, but I was going to go ahead and try it anyway. Yes, those who said it wasn't worth it were correct in my case. However, the personal insults and assumptions made about myself, my priorities, and my family were ridiculous and disgusting. Do you really think it's funny to make jokes about someone getting divorced and their spouse cheating on them just because you don't agree with their decision to take a job opportunity? You'd never do that to someone's face, would you? It's easy to do that when you're hiding behind your computer. You were absolutely one of those people.
Post removed:
by user
Flexbone
SoupNazi2001 said:

Flexbone said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Just admit most posters were right and you were completely wrong. We told you how it would go and you were extremely dismissive.
No, I wasn't dismissive. I simply said I appreciated the advice, but I was going to go ahead and try it anyway. Yes, those who said it wasn't worth it were correct in my case. However, the personal insults and assumptions made about myself, my priorities, and my family were ridiculous and disgusting. Do you really think it's funny to make jokes about someone getting divorced and their spouse cheating on them just because you don't agree with their decision to take a job opportunity? You'd never do that to someone's face, would you? It's easy to do that when you're hiding behind your computer. You were absolutely one of those people.

Yes comments were made in jest because you were very argumentative and defensive about the whole situation. People were being brutally honest with you about what could happen, some in jest and some real. Also sarcasm is sometimes used to drive points home. There is no way to sugar coat the effect of being away from your family that often and no amount of money is worth it. At least you saw the light early and weren't stubborn about it. Congrats and good luck.
I wasn't defensive about people's opinions on the matter at all. I was defensive when being told by people that don't know me that I didn't care about my family or my child because I was even considering doing something that many of those same people had ironically done themselves.

Anyway, the result was as I stated, and I know I made the right decision, even though I do feel bad for the employer and putting them through that hassle.
IDaggie06
AG
It'a all about the money, job security, and your current work situation. If you are currently employed and don't fear losing your job soon, then it would have to be like double pay for me to consider it if I was married with a kid.

If it ends up costing you your marriage, think what that would financially and emotionally cost you.

If you don't currently have a job, then you should take it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.