Job Network
Sponsored by

Looking for an entry-level engineering opportunity

2,957 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ag with kids
EngrAg14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello all!

First off want to say this might be a little vague because several coworkers of mine are frequent users on TexAgs.

I am a former walk-on for the football team and thought the network would be an immense help in my journey, but so far I have had no such luck. I graduated in 2014 with a Engineering degree and two minors, my GPA is around a 2.75 although I have worked for most of my college tenure as well as being a part of the football team.

I have experience with AutoCAD/SolidWorks during school and for projects as well as C++, MatLab and LabView.
I have a incredibly good ability to communicate with diverse groups about technical details so that everyone can comprehend the topic. A very strong and long history of teamwork, and I have always been able to perform in a team or individual capacity.

I am just trying to find an opportunity to get started to actually utilize my education in some capacity, since at the moment my education and the knowledge gained is not being used.

Hopefully someone here can help or point me in a good direction to help me move forward!

Thanks in advance and Gig'em!

I can be reached at AgEngr2014 at gmail.com
justin.lowe
AG
You should re-post this without the football references. It has nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve.
ThreeFive
AG
I disagree. It shows he likely has a strong work ethic, and has experience working within a team environment.

Also, it can help explain a relatively low GPA from a demanding major.
TheMasterplan
ThreeFive said:

I disagree. It shows he likely has a strong work ethic, and has experience working within a team environment.

Also, it can help explain a relatively low GPA from a demanding major.
And time management. I would be impressed a football player graduated with an engineering degree.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
2 questions:
1. Where ya located or looking?
2. How ya feel about working cheap?
EngrAg14
AG
Thanks for the replies and advice!

At the moment I am located in Houston, willing to relocate and depends on your definitione of cheap.
As well as the other opportunities present at the position: promotion potential, training/certifications, other potential non direct-salary items to consider.
tamc91
AG
What type of engineering are you interested in (i.e., civil, environmental, mechanical, etc.)? There are a lot of good consulting engineering firms around the state but there is a real variety in what they focus on. Problem solving, good communication skills, and leadership are the things that typically separate the future projects managers and group leaders from the technical types.

I would research a few firms based on the top 2-3 types of work you're most interested in and focus your energy on the ones you think are the best fit. Timing is everything since they may need to have the work to keep people busy before they can hire, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while.
EngrAg14
AG
Thanks Tamc91 for the advice!

I am interested in mechanical/energy industry work.
I have been applying to nationwide companies and didn't think of looking at more state-wide companies that would be on a large but smaller scale than companies like GE/Boeing etc.

Ragoo
AG
Wish I had an entry-level technician position open, sound like a perfect candidate.
07&09Ag
I'd suggest looking into smaller firms for experience. Not to get into a debate about validity of the policy, but many of your big firms will flat out not accept a candidate with less than a 3.0 many even higher. We have had some great candidates that we tried to fight HR to send an offer and because they had a 2.98 instead of 3.0 it was a no.

Now if you had say two years experience all the sudden the GPA plays a much smaller role and hiring managers typically have more leeway.
E
AG
Which Engr degree did you graduate with? Try PinnacleART, they hire young engineers for their "analyst" position I believe
tamc91
AG
If you're interested in energy (I assume non O&G) there are numerous companies in the Houston area you can look into. Check out CenterPoint, NRG, Pattern Energy, Clean Line, NextEra, etc. These have a mix of electric utilities, renewables, and distribution. There are more and a lot of Ags work in the industry which could help you get an interview.
EngrAg14
AG
Well Ragoo if one happens to open up let me know!

07&09Ag, I have heard that often and I wish I had know that getting a job was similar to getting into college, that your extra-curriculars doesn't matter if you have a great GPA. The biggest issue I have seen is a lot of 'entry' level opportunities want 2 years, I apply to them anyways since the company may see some leeway with that and try to weed out people that don't want to try.

And I will make sure to check out those opportunities tamc91!
HollywoodBQ
AG
EngrAg2014 said:

07&09Ag, I have heard that often and I wish I had know that getting a job was similar to getting into college, that your extra-curriculars doesn't matter if you have a great GPA. The biggest issue I have seen is a lot of 'entry' level opportunities want 2 years, I apply to them anyways since the company may see some leeway with that and try to weed out people that don't want to try.
It's a tough time out there for everybody right now - even grads with good GPAs. My daughter's BF wound up getting a job in Africa and was lucky to even get a job. And that kid had great grades. Not quite the West Houston suburbia he was hoping for. Keep plugging away and see if you can at least find something on the periphery of what you want to do.

Many years ago now but when I was fresh out of college, it took a long time to get hired as an Environmental Engineer. In the meantime, I signed up for a highway construction inspector job (what I had done for one summer during College). I got lucky and landed the Environmental Engineering job before I had to start work at the highway construction job. But, I was content to use that as the first step on the ladder to work my way up if that's what I had to do.

With respect to your resume, I would keep things like your extra-curricular activities on your resume - especially being a walk-on because it shows that you're willing to work hard and are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. After you have 10-20 years of work experience and loads of work contacts, you can leave off the bit about playing football.
TxLawDawg
AG
OP, what is your contact info?
EngrAg14
AG
My email is AgEngr2014 at gmail.
FC12
Give fire protection a look.
mts6175
AG
justin.lowe said:

You should re-post this without the football references. It has nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve.
Except for when other former football players read it and want to speak with him. And I'll say I disagree completely. I am 20 years out and still have it on my resume. It is ALWAYS a conversation starter.

EngrAg - email me at mts6175 at gmail. Former OL here, I may have something here in Midland, but unsure of the timing.
EngrAg14
AG
I just sent an email mts6175 and thanks for the recommendation on keeping it on my resume!
Ag with kids
AG
I know Bell Helicopter in Ft Worth is looking for some folks. As is TRU Simulation out of Tampa, FL...

Might look at them.
wichoAggie06
What is your Engineering degree?
Are you interested in Electrical/Power Electronics?

If you want please send me your resume, wichoaggie at gmail.
EngrAg14
AG
Howdy wichoAggie06, I just sent you an email with my information attached!

Thanks and Gig'em!!
EngrAg14
AG
Just wanted to bump this up!
Ag with kids
AG
What engineering?

If you'd like, contact me at my username and google mail...

I don't hire folks, but I might be able to get you to someone that does....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.