Job Network
Sponsored by

Your Salary History?

107,172 Views | 453 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by oragator
big ben
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
COSC class of '08

'08: 42k
'13: 85K
Stymied
AG
quote:
AeroAg, you still on te technology side of business?
No. I quit working on the tech side of things in 2008 after my MBA. I went into management consulting and then shifted to corporate strategy to get off the normal consulting travel schedule.
RedRoss
Base+Bonus
2008: 70k + 36k
2013: 143k + 153k

I'll be one of Obama's evil one percenters for the first time this year.
careerchange05
AG
holy ess... I thought I was doing pretty well for myself. According to this thread, I suck.

I'm making about 1.9x as much as when I started, and I graduated in Dec '07.
ZooGuy
AG
My salary sucks the most. I make 10-20k less now than recent graduates make starting out.
chjoak
AG
Graduated Dec'02

Jan '03 - x
Jan '08 - 1.67x
Jan '12 - 2.7x
Jan '13 - 4x
BBDP
AG
Civil Engineer

Started in late 2000
2000: x ............55 hrs per week
2006: 2.3x ...........50 hrs per week
2013: 2.9x ............45 hrs per week

[This message has been edited by BBDP (edited 7/26/2013 9:50a).]
oldarmy84
AG
BS EE Dec 84.....

Jan 85 - x - 2LT Army
Jan 90 - 1.5x - CPT Army
Jan 95 - 2.5x - first job as a EE in Industry
Jan 00 - 4.0x - low-level engineering manager
Jan 05 - 5.0x - mid-level engineering manager
Jan 10 - 6.0x - mid-level engineering manager
Jan 13 - 7.0x - senior level engineering manager

Engineering salaries doesn't include bonuses. Engineering jobs have been supporting DoD, but not as a DoD Civilian.
POW
AG
2011: x
2013: 1.23x

Corp finance.. Gotta put some grunt work in first they tell me. Hoping/planning in the next year or two I will be around 1.7x or better.

MPRsearch
AG
2007 x
2008 2x
2013 7x

Ag Econ

[This message has been edited by TheMPRecruiter (edited 7/26/2013 10:51a).]
POW
AG
GarlandAg2012
AG
quote:
Base+Bonus

Sales? Banking?
cjo03
AG
neat thread.. salary progressions are interesting.. some of you appear to be advancing quite well!
MPRsearch
AG
quote:
MPRecruiter, what do you do? Ag Sales?

Nothing to do with Ag.....Recruiting consulting for high end IT services shops.
AggieVictor10
AG
Graduated Dec '10.

2011: x
2013: 1.28x

Looking at being above 1.7x before the end of the year, though.
AggiEE
Some of these multipliers astound me.

Been working in the same role and with some promotions for nearly 5 years and I'm only at 1.2X

I guess it's time to move on? How did you achieve these kinds of increases?

quote:
Base+Bonus

Doing what?

[This message has been edited by AggiEE (edited 7/26/2013 5:34p).]
m48xhp
I just hit 5 years. Been at my current rate since 4.5 years
08 - X
current - 4.375X

[This message has been edited by m48xhp (edited 7/26/2013 5:42p).]
C5Aggie03
AG
quote:

Been working in the same role and with some promotions for nearly 5 years and I'm only at 1.2X

quote:
Base+Bonus

Doing what?

[This message has been edited by AggiEE (edited 7/26/2013 5:34p).]

Only drug dealers get $150K bonuses. Seriously.
Ragoo
AG
x
1.73x
NWE
AG
RPTS BS in '12
Hospitality

'13: 40K
Dan Scott
AG

[This message has been edited by Dan Scott (edited 7/28/2013 1:27a).]
Column
AG
2007: x
2008: 2x
2012: (-2)x
CrossBowAg99
AG
Small business owners get 6 fig bonuses, if we are lucky. Construction!
OldArmy1606
Major: Geology (graduated Dec '07)

2008: x (started out mudlogging)
2009: .8x (left oilfield)
2010: .85x
2010: 1.57x (after getting laid off, returned to mudlogging and then moved to geosteering)
2011: 2.19x + stocks + bonuses (part of company got bought by an independent)
2013: 2.5x + stock + bonuses (Promoted to supervisor)

[This message has been edited by OldArmy1606 (edited 7/28/2013 9:54a).]
Ridge14
Major: MechE

Current: Summer intern, equivalent of 68k/year

Will update in a few months when I have hopefully landed a full time gig
GarlandAg2012
AG
2010 Coop 1: x
2011 Coop 2: 1.04x
2012 Internship: 1.11x
2013 Full time job 1: 1.72x

Excludes bonuses

[This message has been edited by Garlandag2012 (edited 7/28/2013 11:05a).]
vic99
AG
ID'99
'00-X
'05-1.8x
'08-2.4x
'10-1.4x
'12-5.25x

HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:

You know how math and percentages work, right? If you start out where "x" is really low, then the multiples are impressive.

In my case, playing the OP's game just happened to catch me where those 5 year increments resulted in impressive multiple numbers.

1993 - 2LT US Army - $24,000
1994 - got a job as an Environmental Engineer with the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission as part of the forthcoming Title V Air Permitting Program which took several more years to materialize - $30,000
1996 - switched from Engineering to Information Technology - $40,000
1997 - switched from working for The State of Texas to private industry - Dell - $50,000
1998 - was a mid-1997 hire so I missed the raise cycle
1999 - got double promoted - regular raise + mid-year bump. Remember that this was the Dot.Com era so tech companies were throwing money and raises around like they were candy. It's one of those once in a generation things where you need to make the right moves during a boom. And of course you need to have the right skills and outshine your peers. This was kind of like the jump that my old man got in 1974/1975 between the time he was working construction in Texas and agreed to go to Alaska to work on "The Pipeline". He told me he agreed to go up there for maybe $30,000 or $40,000 but by the time he got up to Alaska - 10 months later, they had bumped him up to $70,000.
2000 - I had some insight into some things that let me know the dot.com era was coming to an end (I just didn't know it would happen as fast as it did) and I made the move to Consulting/Professional Services. So here, I got out of the Data Center 7x24 on-call rotation in exchange for a move from Austin to Denver and then traveling around the USA for work - 5 days at a time. I was away from home about 50% of the time. This took me up to $100K where I stayed for a few years until getting laid off at the end of 2003.
2004 - No job in Denver, moved to California and took a job as an IT Contractor where I was making something like $65/hr + OT. Had plenty of OT. Highly specialized skill set, plus experience, plus customer's desperation due to loss of skilled staff due to the fact that they told everybody that they would lose their jobs when they outsourced everything in 3 years. Everybody who was skilled left after they made the outsourcing announcement. The dregs of the organization stuck around waiting for a buyout package which never came.

There's more after that but simply put, I've seen opportunities and I've taken them. I've also made changes and adjustments as required. I've gotten lucky once. I once made a risky decision that proved to be fantastic in hindsight. I've made a lot of my choices not based on dollars and cents but based on the opportunity and the culture of the organization.

I've been extremely fortunate that I haven't had a family member get sick and have to rely on me for support. I've been extremely fortunate that I haven't gotten divorced yet. I've been extremely lucky that my wife agreed to make several of the moves with me although, when we moved from Austin to Denver and from Denver to LA, she was a stay-at-home mom and those were the best options for her to continue to be a stay-at-home mom.

I've also had to make hard decisions. My decision to leave Dell at the peak of the dot.com era was a tough one. My decision to move to LA instead of continuing the futile effort to find another job in Denver was hard. There have been a few other job changes and decisions based on ethics and personnel that have been difficult ones to make. Another difficult thing has been being the iconoclast in several organizations. Many times, I've been the lone voice who is unwilling to accept the party line B.S.. Or, the only one who is unwilling to accept bad behavior/poor performance when I know that better is possible. Too many people are willing to accept the status quo. Often times, it's not a more expensive way to do things, just a different way - one that works better but hasn't been proven "here" in this organization therefore most who don't know about it are unwilling to try.

What's been easy - continuing to improve my work capability and challenging myself. Finding things that are beyond my responsibility or capability and then tackling them head-on and mastering them. That's been fun. And 9/10 times has paid off in Spades.
Guitarsoup
AG
B.S. Ag Journalism

It has been a strange ride

2004: x
2005: 2x
2006: .8x
2007: .08x
2008: 1.3x
2009: 2.2x
2010: 3.8x
2011: 4.9x
2012: 6.2x
2013: on track for 7.2x
NCNJ1217
AG
2004: 35,000 (1st year out of college)
2008: 42,000

Somewhere along in here I was promoted...

2012: 70,000 (Includes bonus of approx. 15%)

Industry: Retail drug store management.
erin2003
AG
Degrees: BBA, MS Accounting (PPA Tax)
All years in public accounting

Aug. 2004 - x
Aug. 2009 - 1.7x
Aug. 2011 - 2x
Aug. 2013 - 2.4x

Would have been higher if I had left my 1st firm 2 years before I did (when I should have) and hadn't had 2 kids in that time. That was a career ender at the old job (thus, I left).
ORAggieFan
quote:

Yes, I'd say it is time to move on.

For me, I've switched companies twice in my 11 years. Each change has got me over $30k more than I was making. I've also received internal promotions and annual raises in the 8-10% range.
AggiEE
Hollywood-

Thanks for the lengthy reply regarding your history. Sort of confirms my suspicion that you had to change roles/companies fairly regularly to get substantial increases in compensation.

And yes, I realize some of the high multipliers are due to low salaries starting out. But I can't imagine that's truly the case for everyone here.

quote:
Yes, I'd say it is time to move on.

For me, I've switched companies twice in my 11 years. Each change has got me over $30k more than I was making. I've also received internal promotions and annual raises in the 8-10% range.

Thanks - is your background in engineering or another field?

My promotions have been around 3-5% with annual raises around 3% as a top performer (which is just barely edging out inflation, avg performers receiving 1-2.5% raises)....I know many undergrads starting out at higher salaries than me which is pretty deflating given my experiences.

Comeby!
AG
1999 - x
2004 - 2.8x
2009 - 5.2x
2013 - 8.4x

PETE
coop214
AG
2005: $5.15 hour
2013: A whole lot more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.