Engineering outside of A&M

21,532 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aston04
AggieAdvisor16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SwissAgg said:

AggieAdvisor16 said:

Blinn Team doesn't dovetail with engineering like it does some other programs. A student wanting to go from Blinn Team to an engineering major would need to apply as a change of major applicant to that major once they have the minimum requirements. There's also the Engineering Academy at Blinn, which is entirely separate from Blinn Team.

You can set up a future student session with the College of Engineering through the link below. At the moment it is entirely online. With the Friday session, you also have the option of scheduling a breakout session with the major of your choice (Petroleum, Mechanical, etc.). A lot of departments will let you directly schedule sessions with them. I would get contact information for an academic advisor from department(s) you might be interested in. Tours in my department usually include sitting down with a faculty member and current student to discuss what makes our program the best in the world and what it's like being a student in the program, followed by a tour of the building from the current student.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/admissions-and-aid/schedule-a-visit.html
Are you guys only doing virtual visits at the moment?

Yes, the College of Engineering (and all of the departments) are virtual visits only this semester.
ursusguy
AG
Colorado School of Mines or New Mexico Tech
Will Hunt
Colorado School of Mines is small. If you have the means to pay for it. My oldest received 25k a year in awards from Mines to attend. Still cheaper to go to A&M, which he did. He did get into all 4 engineering schools he applied for.
Macarthur
SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

Duncan Idaho said:

OldArmy71 said:

Doesn't UT Dallas have a good engineering program?

If I had a college aged kid this is where I would push them, if they didn't get into a flagship or a top 10 school.
This. My son is Freshman Eng at A&M and UT Dallas was a strong contender. I would def pick UT Dallas before Tech.
What is your son majoring at UT Dallas? That is one university in the consideration.

My son is at A&M. Freshman Engineering. What I was saying was that UT Dallas WAS a strong consideration. He was actually National Merit so UT Dallas gave a much more attractive financial package than A&M did, but he wants Aerospace Engineering so A&M was the clear choice even though it cost us more money. Ouch.

As a side note, it's pretty crazy how competitive these schools are. My son was like top 15% because he didn't have excellent grades early in HS, but was National Merit Scholar, AP Scholar and got a 35 on his ACT. He got CAPPED at UT and didn't get a sniff at Rice.

There are lots of folks that complain about A&M being too big, but the reality is that, without A&M, my son would have pretty much been shut out of a top Engineering School. I think most folks making this argument don't realize just how big the state of Texas has gotten and how many high quality students the state is pumping out each year.
SwissAgg
AG
Macarthur said:

SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

Duncan Idaho said:

OldArmy71 said:

If I had a college aged kid this is where I would push them, if they didn't get into a flagship or a top 10 school.
This. My son is Freshman Eng at A&M and UT Dallas was a strong contender. I would def pick UT Dallas before Tech.
What is your son majoring at UT Dallas? That is one university in the consideration.

My son is at A&M. Freshman Engineering. What I was saying was that UT Dallas WAS a strong consideration. He was actually National Merit so UT Dallas gave a much more attractive financial package than A&M did, but he wants Aerospace Engineering so A&M was the clear choice even though it cost us more money. Ouch.

As a side note, it's pretty crazy how competitive these schools are. My son was like top 15% because he didn't have excellent grades early in HS, but was National Merit Scholar, AP Scholar and got a 35 on his ACT. He got CAPPED at UT and didn't get a sniff at Rice.

There are lots of folks that complain about A&M being too big, but the reality is that, without A&M, my son would have pretty much been shut out of a top Engineering School. I think most folks making this argument don't realize just how big the state of Texas has gotten and how many high quality students the state is pumping out each year.

Obviously, I read this too fast. Thanks for posting anyways. We will wait for him to see how is ranking
and practice PSAT.

Did your son take an SAT or ACT preparation?
Macarthur
He did take the SAT & ACT without prep and then did a prep for his second ACT. When he got the 35, we decided to shut it down. At that point, he had received confirmation of National Merit and had already gotten the score to get in A&M so we didn't do a second SAT.
SwissAgg
AG
Macarthur said:

He did take the SAT & ACT without prep and then did a prep for his second ACT. When he got the 35, we decided to shut it down. At that point, he had received confirmation of National Merit and had already gotten the score to get in A&M so we didn't do a second SAT.
May I ask what preparation course did your son do for the ACT?
Macarthur
SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

He just got this book and used it. Also, did some practice tests online.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1119508061/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
one MEEN Ag
AG
Macarthur said:

SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

Duncan Idaho said:

OldArmy71 said:

From my time volunteering with the counselors office in the MEEN department I got to hear a lot about how A&M and other schools prioritize top talent kids.

First and foremost, tu doesn't really care about national merit scholars. They are all in on getting national Hispanic scholar and black achievement scholars. OU throws the most at NMS. It's a point of pride and branding for them. Secondly, being outside of top ten percent even if you're a NMS still can kill applications to extremely competitive schools. The universities see your son as nailing one test, while not showing four years of top tier GPA success in their high school. The schools are also overwhelmed with top 10 percent admits. They really don't have much wiggle room outside of it for their top programs. If they do, it's to fill demographic needs. Also, universities are businesses. Every scholarship handed out needs to be paid for from other students tuition or funding.

Congrats on your kid getting into A&M. I wish them the best.
SwissAgg
AG
Macarthur said:

SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

He just got this book and used it. Also, did some practice tests online.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1119508061/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the tips!!
Macarthur
one MEEN Ag said:

Macarthur said:

SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

Duncan Idaho said:

OldArmy71 said:

From my time volunteering with the counselors office in the MEEN department I got to hear a lot about how A&M and other schools prioritize top talent kids.

First and foremost, tu doesn't really care about national merit scholars. They are all in on getting national Hispanic scholar and black achievement scholars. OU throws the most at NMS. It's a point of pride and branding for them. Secondly, being outside of top ten percent even if you're a NMS still can kill applications to extremely competitive schools. The universities see your son as nailing one test, while not showing four years of top tier GPA success in their high school. The schools are also overwhelmed with top 10 percent admits. They really don't have much wiggle room outside of it for their top programs. If they do, it's to fill demographic needs. Also, universities are businesses. Every scholarship handed out needs to be paid for from other students tuition or funding.

There's no doubt class rank plays a huge role now a days. That brings its own challenges though. Of course, top 10 in some schools ain't the same as others.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Macarthur said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Macarthur said:

SwissAgg said:

Macarthur said:

Duncan Idaho said:

OldArmy71 said:

There's no doubt class rank plays a huge role now a days. That brings its own challenges though. Of course, top 10 in some schools ain't the same as others.
Oh of course. That top ten rule is by design meant to exploit the fact that not all schools are equal in Texas. They are actually incredibly segregated and the state see's using this one rule to replace affirmative action.

There are more kids auto admitted than spots available. Thats why tu was able to ask for percentage relief. A&M is expanding the schools to accommodate instead of taking fewer kids. Thats why my previous comment is that its really hard to get into a desired program if you're outside of top ten percent. The universities are bursting at the seems already with 10%ers. Any extra spots have to go to fill demographic or even just fiduciary needs.

Selecting the 'right' high school has a lot to do with if someone is going to get admitted to A&M outright or have to transfer in. Some parents are gung ho about changing high schools so their kids to get an easier path, most parents keep their kids where they are and let them find their way into those restricted colleges through transferring.
Macarthur
So how is this going to change now that auto admit is gone?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Details on how A&M admits freshmen can be seen at https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
bloom
I absolutely hate to say this, but if I had an engineering student entering right now and my main concern is the quality of his/her education I would NOT choose TAMU. I suggest you have your student browse some of the student forums (even the dreaded Reddit) for these Universities, or find some way to talk with current engineering students on each campus. There are large educational discrepancies and they are not all COVID related.

Have him/her get someone who is a current student to chat with them and give a walk through of average class, advisor and instructor quality. The current engineering students I know are highly successful and love TAMU....but would not recommend it (again, not all due to COVID lack of effort). I keep telling them they need to speak up, but they are worried about it affecting their GPA and just want out. It makes me angry and beyond sad, but I am passing it along because I can't tell them to speak up if I will not.

ETA:this is not a freshman issue, COVID issue or senior ready to be done issue. It is a systemic issue and probably related IMO to the sheer numbers on campus and inefficient budgeting.
*cant/won't hire enough QUALITY instructors
* leave poor quality instructors on campus
* can't /won't hire enough QUALITY advisors
I assume all of this is tied in some way to budget, but they bring in a ton of money and spend on stupid stuff all of the time. One of my grad student tenants taught an ONLINE course pre-COVID. Hundreds of enrollees paying full tuition for online delivery and a grad student (low low low salary) teaching. A high school kid could have run the course if he could answer 200 emails a day but TAMU collected a ton of tuition money with little outlay of cash. Where does that money go? Most undergrad profs like the ones teaching your kid freshman Engineering Calculus would tell you it isn't going to them, and we circle back to not being able to find QUALITY instructors. They would be better served by paying their instructors (and advisors) more and setting up a program to pay market or above salaries to people who are good TEACHERS for lower level classesno research or publishing required. A great HS AP Physics teacher (who definitely could cover freshman Engineering Physics) would be better off financially and lifestyle wise in a public HS than at TAMU. Think that one over. End of sad angry rant
SW AG80
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I graduated high school with 15 in my class, in a town with a population of 375. I remember feeling a little overwhelmed the first week of school freshman year, but after that campus felt like home. I can't see how size should factor in on school selection these days, pick the school that provides the best education and drive on.

FWIW, I would think attending a small school in a big city would be much more overwhelming than going to A&M. Having to routinely commute or running around town if you went to UT Dallas or Rice would be intimidating if you haven't grown up in that environment.
I graduated from a high school with 54 in my graduating class. I agree 1000% with what you said. Pick what school is best for you regardless of size. And to me, the size of the town (city) where the school is located was all important.
valvemonkey91
AG
Surprised no one has mentioned Lamar University in Beaumont. They have a good engineering school and most of the area industry recruits from there.
SwissAgg
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Lamar University in Beaumont. They have a good engineering school and most of the area industry recruits from there.

Does anyone hire from there?
TimsParents
S
Mississippi State, Alabama Huntsville, Missouri Rolla are all good engineering schools
Gig'Em & God Bless
Old RV Ag
AG
TimsParents said:

Mississippi State, Alabama Huntsville, Missouri Rolla are all is a good engineering schools
FIFY

Edit - Missouri Rolla is now Missouri University of Science and Technology
one MEEN Ag
AG
Look I hate to burst some bubbles here, but aspiring engineering students need to go to the biggest brand school they can get into.

I help out with university recruiting for the fortune 100 company I work for. Recruiters only have so much time and manpower to go make offers. They start with big brand schools in each state that are known for engineering. A&M in itself, has enough interest from students to fill basically every job opening. Now multiply that by 50-80 some odd other schools across the country.

There are a lot of schools with engineering programs that don't get visits from recruiters. Those kids can apply online but their chances aren't as good and probably field engineering positions.

Not saying your specific kid can't find success in a smaller school, but unless it's an elite smaller school - in a game of averages smaller schools with lesser brand lose.

I say this to help your families make good decisions about their kids future. If anyone wants to talk to me personally about my perspective I'm happy to talk over the phone.

I've seen how the sausage is made. During undergrad I helped out the MEEN office give facility tours (and got buddy buddy with counselors), during grad school I TA'd for engineering ethics, and in my professional career I volunteer to recruit college kids.
SwissAgg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Look I hate to burst some bubbles here, but aspiring engineering students need to go to the biggest brand school they can get into.

I help out with university recruiting for the fortune 100 company I work for. Recruiters only have so much time and manpower to go make offers. They start with big brand schools in each state that are known for engineering. A&M in itself, has enough interest from students to fill basically every job opening. Now multiply that by 50-80 some odd other schools across the country.

There are a lot of schools with engineering programs that don't get visits from recruiters. Those kids can apply online but their chances aren't as good and probably field engineering positions.

Not saying your specific kid can't find success in a smaller school, but unless it's an elite smaller school - in a game of averages smaller schools with lesser brand lose.

I say this to help your families make good decisions about their kids future. If anyone wants to talk to me personally about my perspective I'm happy to talk over the phone.

I've seen how the sausage is made. During undergrad I helped out the MEEN office give facility tours (and got buddy buddy with counselors), during grad school I TA'd for engineering ethics, and in my professional career I volunteer to recruit college kids.

My nephew is currently looking to major in Civil Engineering which, I think is good. A&M and Texas are both really good schools, but he wants to try to get into Rice. So the top schools now are texas, A&M, and Rice. This is a junior though so things can change. He also wants to look at Ga. Tech and Purdue. Our friend coordinates the Ga. Tech engineering visits.

Many students are wanting to go into Robotics and AI, which are good as well, but there are definitely other engineering disciplines that I think will be underserved including Civil and Chemical.
one MEEN Ag
AG
SwissAgg said:

one MEEN Ag said:

My nephew is currently looking to major in Civil Engineering which, I think is good. A&M and Texas are both really good schools, but he wants to try to get into Rice. So the top schools now are texas, A&M, and Rice. This is a junior though so things can change. He also wants to look at Ga. Tech and Purdue. Our friend coordinates the Ga. Tech engineering visits.

Many students are wanting to go into Robotics and AI, which are good as well, but there are definitely other engineering disciplines that I think will be underserved including Civil and Chemical.

Those are all good schools and good majors. I would recommend undergrad students choose a general engineering major over a specific one. Don't do ocean engineering or petroleum unless their hearts are dead set on those things. They're too industry specific and lock people in to one field. It's tough to get a petroleum engineering job with a mechanical degree, but it's impossible to get a mechanical job with a petroleum degree. Mechanical, Civil, Chemical, Electrical are all good traditional degrees that allow a huge breadth of industries to choose from. Computer engineering/comp sci isn't ever going away and will be in the highest demand for the foreseeable future. But it isn't like other engineering degrees/potentially not even an engineering degree. AI and machine learning are cool and sexy right now. There's a lot of hype, but at the masters/phd level is some incredible stuff.

My recommendation is to start general and move more specific with a masters.

Civil is a good major that will always be in demand, but I don't think there's an industry civil can rely on to pay a super premium though. No civils in OG or Tech companies. But, pay isn't everything and civil is good solid work and a good solid career. I wouldn't think of any degree being 'underserved' nowadays. Engineering programs pump out so many kids each year it's a buyers market.

Ocean engineering at A&M, by the way, was a dichotomy of either super dedicated 4.0 GPAs who want to save the world or 2.0 slackers who got tossed in there as a last ditch effort to graduate with a degree from the college of engineering.
Token
AG
If he's top 5% in his class he should be looking at MIT as well
SwissAgg
AG
Token said:

If he's top 5% in his class he should be looking at MIT as well
He is open to everything, but he needs a really good SAT to go there.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
My son wanted to play football & major in Mechanical Engineering. He was accepted into A&M Engineering but wasn't quite big or fast enough for Jimbo, LOL. He is currently at Colorado School of Mines. He got both Academic & Athletic money which brought the cost down to what it would have cost to go to A&M. He loves it there and we are very happy for him. The only downside (sorta) is that only about 30% of the student population is female.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Hey if Mines is solely technical, that's actually a pretty good percentage!

Girls in my engineering classes used to always remark about the number of dudes, 'The odds are good but the goods are odd.'

TXPremiumBoy
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Hey if Mines is solely technical, that's actually a pretty good percentage!

Girls in my engineering classes used to always remark about the number of dudes, 'The odds are good but the goods are odd.'

LOL .. well, they recruited the heck out of our daughter. She is graduating from high school this year and has been accepted to A&M Engineering but Mines has recruited her hard. Offered her more academic money than they offered him but she is still going to A&M. So they are trying hard to increase the number of females .. but yes, 30% out of roughly 7000 students is not bad for a school that doesn't have anything else other than Engineering degrees to offer. Tech offered them both what amounted to almost a full ride academic scholarship money but they were both like ... 'one word dad .... Lubbock', LOL.
Ol army 92
AG
My son has been accepted to Mines for fall '21 but is still waiting on A&M and VTech. Honestly, A&M and Mines are pretty much tied in his mind right now but we haven't been able to visit any of the three engineering departments.

Does your son have any insight on how the Eng Labs compare and how the post grad hiring goes at Mines. The social reputation (or lack there of) does worry me a bit as my son is pretty social and involved in a pretty diverse group of EC's - football, orchestra, german club, etc...

We are planning a visit in early February to at least walk campus and get a feel for the town and surroundings. Hopefully in March we will have had good news from A&M & Vtech so we will head east to visit UT Knoxville (He's in there as well) and VTech.

Love any insight you could add - feel free to PM if you like.
SwissAgg
AG

Is Colorado School of Mines that good of an engineering school? My friend's son went to the university there, but his son studied mining engineering which is really known there.

A&M is pretty good in any type of engineering. Personally, I wasn't fond of the class sizes.
Ol army 92
AG
Mines is a very respected engineering school that is very different from any other top 50 program. STEM only except for one Econ major. I think it's like 5000 undergrads and they tend towards kids that are impressed with the rigor.

I work in a field that deals a lot with engineers and metallurgists and I've crossed paths with a few Mines grads and they were all very impressive.

At the info session we attended last year they were very honest about who goes there - kids who love engineering. If you don't love it, don't come here. They have like 1 or 2 required gen education classes and the rest is engineering. "if you want to dabble a bit in Euro literature as a minor, this is not the school for you."

Definitely a niche school but very respected in the engineering circles I interact with.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
Depending on who is doing the ranking, Mines is ranked ahead of A&M in several of the Engineering disciplines. Yes, Mines is VERY good at Engineering.
SwissAgg
AG
TXPremiumBoy said:

Depending on who is doing the ranking, Mines is ranked ahead of A&M in several of the Engineering disciplines. Yes, Mines is VERY good at Engineering.
I looked at the SAT scores, and they are quite impressive.
Mookie
AG
Ol army 92 said:

My son has been accepted to Mines for fall '21 but is still waiting on A&M and VTech. Honestly, A&M and Mines are pretty much tied in his mind right now but we haven't been able to visit any of the three engineering departments.

Does your son have any insight on how the Eng Labs compare and how the post grad hiring goes at Mines. The social reputation (or lack there of) does worry me a bit as my son is pretty social and involved in a pretty diverse group of EC's - football, orchestra, german club, etc...

We are planning a visit in early February to at least walk campus and get a feel for the town and surroundings. Hopefully in March we will have had good news from A&M & Vtech so we will head east to visit UT Knoxville (He's in there as well) and VTech.

Love any insight you could add - feel free to PM if you like.

We are in the same boat. My senior son is accepted at mines, UTenn, and Penn St.

Still waiting on A&M to make any decisions. It's frustrating because if he gets in, he's going to A&M but they are the last to notify. Doesn't leave much time to account for a backup plan and I would rather not take the time and expense traveling out of state unnecessarily.

Any word on progress from A&M engineeeing from the admissions folks?
TXPremiumBoy
AG
Our daughter FINALLY found out yesterday that she is in Engineering. Yayyyyyy. She had been accepted into A&M way back in September and had been stressing about this. Had been accepted to Mines & Tech Engineering several months ago.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.