A&M waiving ACT/SAT ?

8,176 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TriAg2010
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone want to give guidance on how this might impact admissions?

* If 2 students send in an application with the same GPA..and one sends in a test score and the other doesn't, will that be weighed?

* What factors will replace the test score. If test scores plus HS academics were the biggest factors, they will have to find something else.
95richmondaggie95
AG
Right Wrong or Indifferent I always thought SAT/ACT was heavily weighted for acceptance criteria. Given this latest information how will the applicants be evaluated? Class Rank and GPA?

Ive got a 2021 HS grad. Top 40% of his class 3.50 GPA. One SAT score of 1120. In a normal application cycle I would not think he would have the necessary scores etc for being accepted.

In this case does he now have a punchers chance? Or still outside looking in?

Anyone have insights into how the applicants will be evaluated.
Spurswin5
95richmondaggie95 said:

Right Wrong or Indifferent I always thought SAT/ACT was heavily weighted for acceptance criteria. Given this latest information how will the applicants be evaluated? Class Rank and GPA?

Ive got a 2021 HS grad. Top 40% of his class 3.50 GPA. One SAT score of 1120. In a normal application cycle I would not think he would have the necessary scores etc for being accepted.

Is your child a POC?

If not...no.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA) and everything submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc. Although now optional, students may continue to submit standardized scores from their SAT and/or ACT tests for consideration for admission. Submission of tests scores will not create any unfair advantage or disadvantage for those students who provide them.

He can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
AnneH93
Good Morning!

If a freshman 2021 applicant has only one score on file and it is low, should that applicant assume that admissions will consider that score for admission because that is a "fair" thing to do? Trying to understand what is meant by "unfair". Or is admissions not even looking at test scores for admission, whether super high or super low? Thank you for the clarification.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Since the ACT/SAT is now optional for 2021, the applicant makes the decision whether to submit the score or not.
As part of the holistic review process, A&M would consider whatever is in that student's application file - class rank (not specifically GPA), outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, test scores (if provided), etc.

double b
AG
95richmondaggie95 said:

An 1120 SAT score is near the bottom quartile. I suggest not submitting it. Average score is around 1250 and a top quartile score is above 1360.
GoAgs92
AG
My kid was 27% and got whatever that go to some satellite school then come to college station deal...They should have told him on the campus tour not to even bother applying...but now than can look better to us news by being more "selective", what a waste of time and money.
I94
Stressboy
AG
GoAgs92 said:

My kid was 27% and got whatever that go to some satellite school then come to college station deal...They should have told him on the campus tour not to even bother applying...but now than can look better to us news by being more "selective", what a waste of time and money.

There is also the TAMUG option. They go for 1 year take basics, switch majors and move to main campus. That route means you are an Aggie and do not have to transfer just switch majors.

double b
AG
The essay for this year is more crucial than ever if your child does not have an optimal test score. Make sure a great amount of time and energy is spent constructing it and telling their story.
A1_Ag_95
AnneH93
Will the essay topic most likely be the same as last year and the year before?
double b
AG
Yes, they're using the same prompt from the previous year.
GoAgs92
AG
At 27% and decent SAT, my kid got the worst option, I would assume class rank is the primary factor to getting in and with the glut of auto admits so be it.

Its his own fault for not working harder.
double b
AG
GoAgs92 said:

At 27% and decent SAT, my kid got the worst option, I would assume class rank is the primary factor to getting in and with the glut of auto admits so be it.

What do you consider a decent SAT? The average is around a 1250 and top quartile is 1370. Also, the essay has just as much of an impact on their admission decision.
GoAgs92
AG
double b said:

GoAgs92 said:

What do you consider a decent SAT? The average is around a 1250 and top quartile is 1370. Also, the essay has just as much of an impact on their admission decision.
Based on stats the most important thing is class rank.

Someone posted an analysis that showed if you are not in the top 25%...you have about an 8% chance of getting in.

I might be misremembering though
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Outside of top 10% for the upcoming cycle, all freshmen applicants go through holistic review. As part of the holistic review process, A&M would consider whatever is in that student's application file - class rank (not specifically GPA), outside activities, leadership, employment, the essay, test scores (if provided), etc.
GoAgs92
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

Outside of top 10% for the upcoming cycle, all freshmen applicants go through holistic review. As part of the holistic review process, A&M would consider whatever is in that student's application file - class rank (not specifically GPA), outside activities, leadership, employment, the essay, test scores (if provided), etc.

All equally weighted?
Another Doug
AG
TAMUAdmissions,
For those that do submit SAT's is there an auto-admit score for Texas HS kids?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
No. There are two ways to be admitted - top 10% and review. Details can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
Another Doug
AG
How about this... what is the highest Texas HS student SAT you remember NOT getting in?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores (if submitted) and everything else submitted with your application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc. Even in the past, the ACT/SAT score would just be one of the factors listed above for those in review. Applicants can vary widely among the above factors. The strength of the applicant pool is different each year as well. We look for well-rounded students strong in each of the above areas. The middle 50% of SAT scores last fall for incoming freshmen was 1190 to 1370.
Troy91
AG
For top 10%, is there still a requirement to submit test scores to "satisfy the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy?"
double b
AG
There is no minimum test score requirement.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For 2021, the ACT or SAT is optional for all freshmen applicants. The link discusses ways to be exempt from the UAP.
95richmondaggie95
AG
If you decide to include the SAT scores does TAMU require the essay portion as well?
95richmondaggie95
double b
AG
95richmondaggie95 said:

If you decide to include the SAT scores does TAMU require the essay portion as well?

This essay score is not required.
95richmondaggie95
AG
Do applicants still use applytexas? My son went today to that website and it sounded like he could not fill out the app until 8/1. I thought you could not submit it until 8/1.
czechy91
AG
My son noticed the same thing. It look like you can't even work on your application until it opens up on 8/1/20.
AvantGarde_CollegePrep
A&M uses either Apply Texas or Coalition. I strongly recommend Apply Texas. Also, students may create their profile in Apply Texas but cannot create an application until 8/1.

Troy91
AG
Mine is working on his essay so that we can submit quickly at or near 8/1.
Another Doug
AG
Why do you recommend Apply Texas vs going with Coalition ?
AvantGarde_CollegePrep
The Coalition App is not as intuitive as Apply Texas. Also, I have learned that many counselors/teachers are not as fond of it when having to submit documents through the website.

Also, Apply Texas is certainly more straight forward, plus it allows for more entries than what you can submit on the Coalition App.

Given my professional work, I have seen dozens of application platforms and I always dread using the Coalition App for the small number of schools that only require it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.