TAMU Admissions Question

74,990 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by finistratbob
staciej
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@TAMUAdmissions My son received the "select one of the following Engineering Pathway options" He picked Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan. Does that mean he will get it or could he be denied it at a later date? It's confusing.
staciej
Nevermind... he officially got in to Engineering Academy today.
HECUBUS
AG
Congratulations!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
AggieDreamin, I hope she will speak to an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 before she makes a decision.

Joeyc, Review decisions for freshmen have been ongoing for some time. We hope to finish by mid-March.
joeyc
Thank you. Is there is anything I can possibly do to increase the likelihood of me getting accepted at this point?
AgMom2023
@TAMUAdmissions How often are admission decisions updated? Are they posted throughout the day or only once per day? I have heard both and we are on pins and needles here awaiting our decision.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
joeyc, Admissions can only consider information received by the deadline.

AgMom2023, As decisions are made (usually in small or larger groups), they are posted. They are not held until a specific time or day. However, checking once a week (probably at the end of the week) is the best course of action.
mccjames
AG
Still no large wave of review admits.

Just to keep the score going I now know of 6 top 10% auto admit kids NOT going to A&M because they were recruited heavily by OOS Schools. All 6 parents said they have heard very little from A&M since acceptance letters. All 6 were legacy students, but parents could not deny the scholarship and love the kids were getting from outside of A&M, all 6 had below 1400 SAT scores.
Luckylady
Just popping in on this thread --

Question: for those that have been accepted, how did you first find out? Email? Phone call? snail mail?

We are also waiting on pins and needles -- should we bother checking our mailbox? or is email the first communication my son will receive?

Luckylady
Hope you don't mind me asking -- how were you notified? Email? Snail mail?
Oogway
If you don't mind me replying to your question to the other poster, my senior received an acceptance envelope in the mail.
However, he was pretty involved with some school activities at the time, so might not have been checking his portal/email as much. IIRC, my older child found out electronically prior to receiving the packet.

AggieDreamin
LuckyLady - you can tell if you are admitted by checking your Howdy portal and looking for 6 tabs along the top on the left. You start with 3 and it increases if you are admitted. If you are checking from your mobile then click on the three bars on the left and it will open the tabs. Your AIS should also update at some point during the day you are accepted. If you are Engineering some are getting alternative offers on AIS before Howdy updates. Good luck!
AgMom2023
RockyMountainAg
AG
My son's #s:
scored 1390 on SAT
4.2 GPA
15 college hours in HS
12% mark in an extremely competitive high school
Varsity athlete
National honor society
Volunteered two summers
Work experience
Many other accomplishments

And he didn't get into Mays. I'm really disappointed in my school. Didn't see this coming at all. College prep guy said atm was a guarantee for him. Didn't apply at all to any easier colleges.

redd38
AG
RockyMountainAg said:

My son's #s:
scored 1390 on SAT
Varsity athlete
National honor society
Volunteered two summers
Work experience

And he didn't get into Mays. I'm really disappointed in my school. Didn't see this coming at all. College prep guy said atm was a guarantee for him. Didn't apply at all to any easier colleges.

Why disappointed in the school for maintaining high standards?
mccjames
AG
However there is a problem with the idea that Texas A&M is being selective. Last years avg SAT is only 1250. Some have it as low as 1140. So it seems as if we are letting in ALOT of low SAT scores, something is moving that number way down especially if top 25% need a 1360 for auto admit.

Texas and Texas A&M have a massive problem in numbers being required by the State. It is not sustainable to auto admit 20,000 students, next year could push the auto admit to 25,000 by some estimates if nothing changes that would potentially create a freshman class of about 13,000 and have no review admits. Bottom line is the school cannot support the numbers.

The estimates for 2018 was about 70% auto and 30% review, this year it was closer to 90% auto and 10% review. No changes I definitely see a 100% auto and real problems when everyone accepts the offers.

I feel the school should aim for a 60/40 mix of auto and review. Raise the SAT for academic admit (should be a 1450 imho) and reduce top 10% to top 6%.

Too many really good students with crazy SAT scores getting left out at both schools.
RockyMountainAg
AG
I agree. Not fair when a kid with stats like his gets beat out by an automatic with a low sat and gpa from Hearne high school.
RockyMountainAg
AG
If ATM's standards were that High it would be awesome. Sad that it's not the case. Oh well it's their loss.
HECUBUS
AG
Interesting that 48% of the applicants are auto or academic admits. It's also interesting that 48% matriculate.

Back in my day, a pulse got you into all the schools in Texas.Tuition, books, room and board was about $2k/year. We spent our high school years seeing what we could get away with and the drinking age was eighteen. I think we win.

To put the cost of college in perspective, I made about $2k/summer on a construction cement crew in Houston. I made another $2k working the rest of the year on weekends and school holidays.
mccjames
AG
I was told by an admissions person that the academic admit process will be gone starting with class of 2025.

Top 10% and then everyone else will be reviewed.
Bird Poo
AG
mccjames said:

I was told by an admissions person that the academic admit process will be gone starting with class of 2025.

Top 10% and then everyone else will be reviewed.
That's pathetic.
zephyr88
AG
Welcome to Texas A&M - Bangladesh
staciej
Did he get offered Blinn Team? It's a really great program. A lot of extremely smart kids from our area are in the program. They love it!
double
AG
Does being a legacy play any role in the application process? (For a strong student that didn't qualify for automatic admission?)
A1_Ag_95
AG
Legacy status has not been considered for years. Not a fan of that decision for sure.
3in33
RockyMountainAg said:

I hope you didn't pay your College Prep guy. He should have known that Mays School of Business only takes 1000 freshman students each year and that the majority of spots are filled up in November. That has been the case for the last several years at least.

Your son's rank and SAT should have put him as an academic admit if he had qualifying sub scores. Did he apply too late for Mays and put in his second choice major?

Instead of being disappointed in the University, whose fault it was not that your son did not get into Mays, your disappointment is understandable, but perhaps you need to talk to your College Prep guy for not being up to speed on the facts of getting into Mays, that your son needed to apply early and that they only take 1000 freshmen and that it fills up weeks before the deadline. Then you and your son take a long look in the mirror for not doing your own homework on the matter before hand. College admissions isn't the same as it was in the 1980's.
3in33
[Posters will be respectful when replying on this particular forum. -Staff]
A1_Ag_95
AG
No need to come in and stand on a soapbox. Sure, some of the issues are easily identified by the timing of application or missing a deadline.

Applicants should be considered on merits. My daughter did not choose where she lives or who her parents are, just like any other applicant. Why should my success in life have any influence on her ability to be accepted into a school?

The bigger issue in TX is the lack of other options outside of A&M and Texas, or at least the perception of not having those options. Building up the system schools is a must.
Bird Poo
AG
RockyMountainAg said:

My son's #s:
scored 1390 on SAT
4.2 GPA
15 college hours in HS
Varsity athlete
National honor society
Volunteered two summers
Work experience

WTF.

My kid has almost that exact resume and May's didn't accept? What in the hell are they looking for?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
They are looking for the kid that scored 1390 and has the sub scores in each category of the SAT, has top 25% rank, completely filled out application, to have their act together and apply as soon as admissions open. Then they get their acceptance in the first round that goes out. Then that kid immediately accepts when he is notified of admission and signs up for housing. That's what Mays is looking for and they get it. Done in a couple of months. Once all the offers for Mays go out the kid actually has until next spring to accept but they have the math to know the percentage that accepts so once all the offers are out it's done.

Then after that thousands of applicants with much better scores, ranks, extra curricular, send in their application but by then its way too late. A few spots are held back for review but that is an extremely low number.

That's what I learned going through it last year.
histag10
AG
Out of curiosity, how many of you proofed your kids application before they submitted it? I dont deal with the admissions side, but I can tell you that 8 out of 10 calls I field a week from angry parents are generally because their kid told them they submitted something and didnt, or straight up left a ton of stuff off their application. Yes, your kid is extremely well rounded, but did they accurately portray that on their application?

Also- Mays is extremely competitive, and really isn't a guarantee for anyone.

To clarify for 3in33- I believe you mean Century Scholars High School, as a student from any school can be a Regents Scholar (1st gen, agi>40k)
HECUBUS
AG
Didn't proof or take part in or even see any part of any application. We stayed completely out of all academic and EC Decisions since 7th grade. Okay, the wife did require one application had to land at ATM.
histag10
AG
HECUBUS said:

Didn't proof or take part in or even see any part of any application. We stayed completely out of all academic and EC Decisions since 7th grade. Okay, the wife did require one application had to land at ATM.

That's how my parents were with me.

My point is, you can say your child is well rounded and is an excellent applicant, but you dont know what they actually put on their application or in their essays. They may be extremely well rounded, but left off half of their volunteer hours, or didnt put in but one or two activities, they could have completely tanked their essay. Or my favorite- didnt check the box that asked them if they wanted to apply for scholarships.
HECUBUS
AG
Yeah, good point. Ours did forget to apply for honors, but did get invited to apply for honors in his major. I assume everyone gets that invitation as all his friends did. He will survive.
RockyMountainAg
AG
Yes he did get Blinn team. Since my last post he has been accepted into several schools that are more highly ranked for his chosen major. This will be a blessing in disguise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.