TAMU Admissions Question

74,364 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by finistratbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My son is applying to A&M this fall and would like to study business. He will not be a top 10% student or an Academic Admit. If he is admitted, it will be through the comprehensive review process. However, we have heard that the business school has a "first come, first serve" admission policy and therefore comprehensive review students rarely get accepted since the school is full with top 10% and Academic Admit students. Is my understanding correct? Thanks.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
There are many top 10 and Academic Admit applicants who choose Business. It is also true that Mays usually fills up quickly. However, if your son is a very strong review candidate it is possible he could be admitted while Mays still has room.
thanks for the response- it is very helpful
viejo
If not Mays, he might think about Economics. It's in the College of Liberal Arts and his chances of getting in to A&M through the review process will be far greater if he applies with Liberal Arts as his college of choice instead of Mays. Our Economics department is one of the best in the country, and a go-to place for hiring by Goldman Sachs.

While not quite as strong, but still very good, Ag Economics is another good option. If the objective is to get in to A&M and he's a comprehensive review kid, his odds improve greatly by applying for Ag or Liberal Arts. He could be eliminated from admission simply because he lists Mays as his top preference. It's a numbers game. He performs well in either Economics degrees, he'll come out with as good an education as he would get at Mays, and more importantly, a good job.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For freshmen, you are admitted to the university first. Then we look to see if your first choice of major still has space available..
NewOldAg
AG
I was in the same boat and ended up in Galveston for a year before flipping into Mays. The reality is that if he applies super early he has a small chanc. But if he doesn't have the 30 ACT/SAT equivalent for auto admit, he isn't likely to be a strong review applicant for Mays.

2 options: Have a good backup school. Or pick another major and transfer into Mays after a semester or 2 after all the Top 10% kids wash out
Big Country51
AG
If he isnt an automatic its very difficult to get in from the application process. He can still transfer into mays but that requires a min of 3.75 gpa now. Look into Ag Business half of the classes you take are in mays (only non mays major that does this).
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
https://goo.gl/images/GuFNNh
Luckylady
Based on the previous posts, sounds like the best way is to go through Economics or Ag Business --

BUT there is info posted on the MAYS/TAMU website that states admissions for entry into Mays are on first come first serve basis. If this is correct, then did they begin filling spots right after the gates opened on July 1st?

FAFSA applications cannot even be filled out and turned in until October 1 -- and students can submit ACT/SAT tests as late as December 1, so I'm confused as to when the "acceptance decisions" will begin for students that fall into the "Holistic Review" category?
Luckylady
And...

what about students that are admitted to Blinn Team? How hard is it going to be for those students to transfer in to Mays? Would they get priority over those transferring from a non-affiliated ATM school?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
The first acceptance letters are going out now - mostly top 10 and Academic Admits. Although some review applicants may get offers this fall, most likely most of them will find out later. A&M hopes to finish the review process by March.

https://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2018/ is where Mays discusses change of curriculum. It is very competitive and they show all the details on their link.
tamc93
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

The first acceptance letters are going out now - mostly top 10 and Academic Admits. Although some review applicants may get offers this fall, most likely most of them will find out later. A&M hopes to finish the review process by March.

https://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2018/ is where Mays discusses change of curriculum. It is very competitive and they show all the details on their link.
Thank you for this response. It seems later then for my son a couple of years ago. My daughter already received admissions and scholarship offers to other schools in August, so hopefully the late response is not too much of a negative to her.

Edit to Add - Received the admissions today. Do you know when the first round of scholarships will be released?
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You will want to ask the Scholarships Office.
histag10
AG
I believe offer letters will go out in January, as the scholarship application is open until December 1.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Edited to remove personal info
ag94whoop
AG
My son was accepted around 2 weeks ago (although still in engineering review), but has not yet received anything in the mail or email from A&M.
His AIS profile shows that a letter was mailed on the 20th. Is this normal to not receive his acceptance letter yet?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Yes, it is normal for the delay in letters actually arriving. It should be there soon.
ag94whoop
AG
Funny The acceptance letter and packet came in the mail today.
Now we are just in wait-and-see mode for engineering
97Gal
AG
Anyone heard from College of Engineering yet? My son got admitted in late September and went into Engineering Review. Just curious if anyone's heard yet. I know they have until 12/15, but...
3in33
@TAMUAdmissions

What is the cut off for top 10%? Is 10.01-10.99% considered top 10%?

A release of decisions for review applicants just went out a week or so ago.
Fid Mays release admissions for review applicants during that release ? Is it likely a review applicant can get into Mays with a 1340 SAT before December?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Top 10 is 10.0% and better. The transcript analysts will review the transcript.

Not many review decisions are being made at this point. Most will be after the first of the year.

For review admits, A&M evaluates class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with your application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.
SL
AG
My daughter just got Engineering Review yesterday. She applied pretty late (oct 12), does this mean the COE spots are full and she will have to go through a review process? She's planning Computer Science.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
All Engineering applicants go through a holistic review and the process will take some time. So that did not mean Engineering was full. Her letter will give her the details.
redd38
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

All Engineering applicants go through a holistic review and the process will take some time. So that did not mean Engineering was full. Her letter will give her the details.

Does not reading the letter play into the holistic review?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
They go through a holistic review. The letter will then explain the decision. Whether they read it is up to them.
Ordhound04
AG
Another option could be "human resource development" in the college of education. Students are able to get a business minor in that major.
texlaker
My child was admitted to Mays on October 11 as a review applicant with a 1340 SAT and class rank of top 15%. I think that my child was admitted due to the holistic factors including a really great essay and participation in extracurricular and work activities that showed both depth of commitment and leadership.

Maybe I'm off here, but I don't think that admission to Mays is necessarily more difficult than say Liberal Arts. As I understand it, A&M admits freshman applicants to the University first and then they are assigned to their first-choice major based on whether it is available (with the exception of Engineering). The biggest hurdle for review applicants has been that because admission is normally offered on a first come basis, by the time A&M has conducted holistic review of a review applicant, Mays has already been filled because review applicants normally don't get a decision back until late November at the earliest.

Based on the preceding info, my child prioritized the application to A&M and had everything done so that the app was complete and in review by the end of August. We had heard at an admissions event at A&M that in one of the prior cycles, Mays had filled up by sometime by end of October or early November. In any event, my child worked on the essay all summer long and had the test scores taken and lined up as well. The only thing we had to wait on was for school to start so that they could send in his transcript with the updated ranking through the end of the junior year.

A couple of weeks ago, the Howdy portal updated to six tabs and the next day the admission to Mays was in AIS and about a week later we got the official packet in the mail as well. It can be done as a review applicant, but the applicant needs to apply as soon as the ApplyTexas app is open, and they have to have outstanding holistic factors for admission.
jefe95
AG
My son was admitted to Engineering on October 12th. He applied the first week applications were opened in July.
bq_89
Hi @ TAMU Admissions

I think this is a question on how to verbally contact an Admissions person for application status/question.

Son is out of state, submitted application in Aug (received and accepted). Submitted Transcript/Class Rank over 3 weeks ago, still shows the yellow "received/not processed" icon.

Is it normal to take so long to process? Given it's an out of state transcript, with some funky info (no weighted GPA, class rank via an attached letter) I'm concerned that Admissions has some issue/problem with this. Or, Admissions has tried to contact the school with limited successes (our school is notorious for a weak Counselor system). If there is an issue we're more than happy to help resolve, but obviously have no feedback other than the status icon. And, no real point of contact to call in Admissions.

Looking forward to your recommendation/opinion. If you think this is a normal waiting time, we'll just sit tight.

Thanks,

Will

TAMUAdmissions
AG
That is still within the normal range of time as processing can take a number of weeks. There will be about 43,000 freshmen applications alone this fall. Your son can always go to Contact Us in his AIS page if he has other questions in the future.
Momster
My son got his application completed last night and submitted. He suffered a concussion about a month ago and that delayed his completion of the essay. He is a review admit. I know we have to upload his 2 letters of recommendation, but he doesn't have a UIN yet. Will they still allow him to upload those letters if his site isn't created until after the deadline? Or should I hand deliver them. We live locally. His letters of rec are very strong and he needs every ounce of help in the review process. Thanks in advance.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
He should receive his UIN before the supporting documents deadline but he should not take a chance on that. Admissions can only consider what is received by that deadline so it is best to get those in and not wait.
Momster
Thank you @TAMUadmissions. So if he takes them in person where does he take them and to whom should he give them? I've seen admission offices on agronomy and of course in Koldus, which is where we met with an advisor this Sunmer. Also, is the supporting documents deadline 12/1? I have assumed that it is, but I saw something stating essays are due by 12/3 so maybe it's not tomorrow after all.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
He can bring any documents to the front counter of suite 1601 in the GSC. There are a number of dates involved so he can review our web page for details (http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply).
TAMUAdmissions
AG
P.S. - When to Apply on our link lists the different dates.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.