Which dorm should I pick next year?

24,783 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Gonzo08
Wranglers_04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, I've been accepted into Texas A&M, class of 2013, and must choose a dorm.

Most people I've talked to recommend an all-freshman, coed dorm would be good. That way I am in a good social environment.

What are your suggestions?

Thank you.
twenty10
AG
I agree with most people you've talked to. I lived in an all girls modular-style dorm my freshman year and I regret doing so. If I could do it over again, I'd live in the commons or somewhere on the north end of campus--FHK, perhaps. If a little bit of privacy/potential quiet is important to you, modular is a good choice.
A_MBaseballFan
what major did you get accepted to?
tears_for_beers
AG
Freshmen dorms (or any dorm really) are a crapshoot-you could meet your best friend who will marry you and bury you, or you could meet the weirdest, strangest, most annoying person you will ever meet. The main idea is to give concessions and learn to grow as a tolerant human being. That being said, the only all-freshmen dorm is Lechner, which is honors-only. If you want more social interaction, I would suggest north side dorms (non modular). These include FHK, Crocker, Walton, Schuhmacher, etc. Not nearly as nice/big as modular, but people tend to interact more.
Walter Kovacs
AG
go modular. you can meet and interact with people just about anywhere but having a little bit of extra space is pretty nice.
aggie0607
AG
Calloway House
AggieRAGE
AG
Go Dunn and then live in Wells your sophmore year... its the only way to go.
RockOn
quote:
only all-freshmen dorm is Lechner,

Times have changed, keep up.
Aston04
AG
I would suggest the Commons- either Aston or Dunn.. It's great having food options in the same building and the room setups are good.

If you are looking for a dorm with the most spirit, but perhaps less nice, then there's many choices on the northside.

Modulars are good, but I think sharing the restroom with suite mates(at the commons) isn't a bad thing. There's a good chance either your roommate or one of your two suite mates will be a good guy. If you are looking for the most privacy and don't mind the cost, modulars are the way to go.

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 1/17/2009 11:38a).]
AG_CS
As others have said, basic rule:
Higher price- nicer, more privacy, more quiet, people tend to keep to themselves, better study environment
Lower price- not as nice, less privacy, loud, harder to study with people running down the halls yelling like crazy people

I first lived in Dunn, and now live in Crocker (higher price -> lower price). They were pretty much completely opposite in terms of the dorm environment. I'm amazed at how quiet the modular dorms are when I'm visiting friends. Like I said, everyone seems to keep to themselves.

So...that's just what I have observed.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I lived in Crocker for 5 years, did CHEN the whole time there.

There are "loud times" and quiet times. Most people are willing to be nice and keep it down if you need it.

All the people who lived in the commons and modular dorms when I was there complained that they had issues meeting people in the dorm, due to most people being hermits.

Most of the issues with people and studying in corridor or corp style dorms are based more with time management, not environment. Just my $0.02.

~egon
Dr. Doctor
AG
dp.

[This message has been edited by egonpyro (edited 1/17/2009 5:33p).]
Ag Rod
Regardless of where you live on campus you're probably going to find that the best place for you to study is ANYWHERE BUT YOUR ROOM because there's just too much there to distract you. Things like other people, your computer/television, etc. Personally, I have found Evans to be the place for me.

Because of this, I don't think you should even bother worry about the "study environment" a potential dorm provides. Live somewhere cool. AKA Northside. If you want peace and quiet just walk over to the Library.
ag_pete09
AG
i agree with ag rod in that you will probably end up studying somewhere else anyway. if you want to meet ppl live on northside. if you don't want to make new friends and stick to your hs friends live on south side. i lived on north side two years and met some really awesome people. and the community baths really aren't as bad as you would think. cleaned every morning.
Predmid
AG
Do not go freshmen only...it's the pits as there is no continuation of community from year to year.

As always, I recommend FHK. It's the bestperiod
MouthBQ98
AG
I never studied well in my room, even in my absolutely spartan fish dorm room in my time in the corps. My best studying was done in Evans or one of the study lounges.

I also agree with the above: Fish year on campus is a real plus: You are right there with everything that is going on, and not isolated off campus. And it is really better to mix classes, so you associate with upperclassmen and they're there to teach you the traditions and the ropes, so to speak. If you are going to live off campus, save that for your Jr/Senior year.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 1/19/2009 11:51a).]
KRamp96
Lived on campus for my first two years on North Side. I moved to an apartment the thrid year so I could study. I quickly found out my issues with being able to study had nothing to do with WHERE I lived. I could have lived in a monestary, I wouldn't have been able to study there. Why? There are too many distractions at home, even if I was the only one there. I did my best work in Evans or an empty conference room in one of the other building on campus.
Cheer
AG
I lived on campus all 4 years (3 years as an RA) on southside. modular freshman year, Krueger (back when it was all-female) the rest of the time.

you likely won't study in your dorm. it's very noisy and too easy to get distracted. it's been a while since I've been on campus and a LOT has changed since then. if you live on southside, pick one of the commons dorms. the commons are cool because you have that huge common area in the middle where you can meet people and play pool or ping-pong, or go eat. I wouldn't live in Mosher unless you're an engineering major.

and if you live on northside, I'd live in FHK. I thought the dorm was great, not too rowdy, but they weren't boring either. the RAs and HD when I were there were pretty chill. looking at the current staff roster, the HD hasn't changed. she's pretty cool. northside, when I was in school, was a lot friendlier and more open than people on southside (mostly greeks and geeks). if I had to do it over again, I'd live on northside.
admiral the anav
southside....
Predmid
AG
iirc, FHK is getting a new HD next year.

The current one is amazing and I wish her all the best.
Ag20??
AG
Northside. I've lived on both NS and SS and much preferred NS in terms of environment and people.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Agree with the comments about study environment. I tried to study in my dorm (Moore) back in the day. My best work was always done when I packed my sutff and walked over to Evans or to one of the study lounges.

FWIW I liked the community bathrooms provided by the corridor style dorms. The janitors came in and cleaned those every day (except weekends). This is opposed to (I believe) once a week in suites and once every two weeks or so in Modulars. In addition, if you're in a suite and you and your suite mates are all trying to use one shower to get ready for class at the same time you've got a problem. I never ever couldn't get a shower or use the restroom when I needed it.
Cheer
AG
bathrooms were cleaned once a week in the mods too.
Gonzo08
AG
I'm going to agree with those suggesting you live on northside, for much the same reasons. You should just plan not to study in your room. If once you get here, you find you can great, but it'd be much better to try to find a place with a great community and go to the library, than live somewhere dead quiet and find that despite not knowing anyone else, you still can't study in your room.

One option to consider other than what's already been named (FHK, Schuhmacher, etc.) is Hart Hall. The rooms are small-ish, but it has a very strong community and is centrally located. And, now the Hotard's gone I think it's the cheapest place on campus (along with walton, but I wouldn't wish that place on anybody).
AggieBaseball06
AG
Now that Moses is for wussies and the socially inept, I would say you will have no better experience than living in FHK.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I have to chime in (and I think a few others would too) that Crocker Hall offers a better experience than FHK.

Just my $0.02 (and a few other awards to prove it).

~egon
CrockerCock00
AG
If you want a closer knit group, look at Northside.

If you don't care to meet a lot of people, look to modular dorms.

If you like the spirit of A&M and want to take part in many activities and get to know a lot of people in your dorm that you will likely call good friends several years down the road, then I would suggest a corridor style dorm like Crocker.

I'm not biased, just don't look at my handle.
Predmid
AG
Crocker people fill your heads with lies!
tb2011
northside means you just meet people from your dorm. southside means you meet a variety of people. i lived on northside. dont stay in crocker
htc0008
AG
dont go all freshman or corridor spend the extra money and go modular or balcony
TAMU1990
AG
I lived on campus when I was there the entire time and Northside is definitely more fun. I enjoyed DG the best - don't shy away from the corridor dorms. Everyone will eventually have to leave their rooms just to go to the bathroom. You'll meet more people in these type of dorms. I still have friends to this day (20+ years ago) from my dorm experience.

And I had no problem studying in my room - and I bet dorm life was more rowdy in my day. I was distracted when I went to the library because I wanted to people watch more than study. You will see many people in the library that you know. I had to find the most remote place to hide in to study at Evans.
crockerDOM
I'm finally going to weigh in on this.

if you want to meet people, make friends, and experience A&M tradition and spirit live on northside. if all you want to do is go to class, sit in your room, and deal with d-bags live on south side.

as far as northside goes, I would avoid the modular dorms at al cost. they are southside lite, and most people in them don't care to meet their neighbors and be a true community.
also avoid the all fish dorms like NERD and Moses. even res-life admits moses is a failure in their attempt at social engineering.
my handle may make this seem biased, but I am not...crocker is probably the best place to live. FHK is good, McInnis is also good. Walton is ok. it's a crap hole, but they have one of the better communities. moore, sorry kenny, has declined since '99 and while still a giant leap above mods is not as good as the other dorms.
I could give a 20 page paper on all the dorms and their pros and cons.
Predmid
AG
quote:
northside means you just meet people from your dorm. southside means you meet a variety of people.

I believe this to be partially false...

Northsiders typically will meet people from all over the place (between student activities, classes, etc) just like southsiders, they just meet a lot more people within their own dorm.

Southsiders typically don't have nearly as robust a connection to their fellow residents.

In conclusion, North side close knit, south side eats 'lesser quality food.'
CrockerCock00
AG
quote:
south side eats 'lesser quality food.'

Thanks for the laugh Predmid

[This message has been edited by CrockerCock00 (edited 1/25/2009 8:10p).]
Gigemchicken90
AG
So what have they done to Mosher???????????
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.