https://www.kcrg.com/2026/09/19/city-rejects-firefighters-application-over-high-school-diploma-showing-he-was-homeschooled/
Applicant for a "paid" position with fire department rejected because his diploma shows he graduated from home school, which in Nebraska are not accredited.
The fire department has since changed the applicant requirements to include "graduated from an accredited high school". The city claimed that "high school diploma" implied graduated from an "accredited" high school was what they expected. Really?
There are other ways of determining if an applicant is qualified; I would say MOST home schoolers receive an education that is at least as good as public school educations. And this guys is already a volunteer fire fighter and a licensed EMT. I kind of wonder if he's angered someone.
Applicant for a "paid" position with fire department rejected because his diploma shows he graduated from home school, which in Nebraska are not accredited.
The fire department has since changed the applicant requirements to include "graduated from an accredited high school". The city claimed that "high school diploma" implied graduated from an "accredited" high school was what they expected. Really?
There are other ways of determining if an applicant is qualified; I would say MOST home schoolers receive an education that is at least as good as public school educations. And this guys is already a volunteer fire fighter and a licensed EMT. I kind of wonder if he's angered someone.